Options

Will you survive…THE QUARRY?

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
Well…will you? Because I’m pretty sure there’s a killer out there.

The Quarry is the latest game from Supermassive Games. Previously famous for Until Dawn and The Dark Pictures anthology

If you’ve played any of those games you know what you’re in for here. Exploration, QTE’s branching stories, decisions to be made, people dying. The usual.

The Quarry takes place at a summer camp full of teenage counselors. A brand new genre!!

Starring big stars like

Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior
4pyox3hwca6j.jpeg

The guy who couldn’t see the sailboat
okgommp4y7rn.jpeg

Alex Dunphy from Modern Family
uq8qjr0j57gz.jpeg

The other Raimi
9yyaqwh0ubn6.png

And many more!!!

Keep spoilers behind tags. If you aren’t sure if it’s a spoiler….TAG IT ANYWAY. Don’t spoil shit

The QUARRY

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I wonder if they're going to keep the trend of starting the games like a wrestling intro.

"By god, that's The Curator's music!"

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I wonder if they're going to keep the trend of starting the games like a wrestling intro.

"By god, that's The Curator's music!"

We can only hope

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I want to play this game but don't have 90 Canadian Dollars so it's gonna be backburnered for a little bit

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I irrationally resent this game because I mistook “supermassive” for “supergiant” and while the former is fine, I guess they really aren’t doing themselves any favours for drawing that comparison

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I need to have something spoiled for me, because its been kind of a running trend in their Dark Pictures Anthology series.
    It's not going to turn out to all be a dream or some weird hallucinogenic swamp gas or something, right? There's actually a murderer and there's actually supernatural shit going on?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i thought this was going to be a thread about fight scenes in sentai shows

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I need to have something spoiled for me, because its been kind of a running trend in their Dark Pictures Anthology series.
    It's not going to turn out to all be a dream or some weird hallucinogenic swamp gas or something, right? There's actually a murderer and there's actually supernatural shit going on?
    The last one broke from that trend in a kinda huge way.

• Options
    Starting to get to the nitty gritty now. I have a theory but we’ll see

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I am aware of that but I would like to know for The Quarry specifically.

• Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    I am aware of that but I would like to know for The Quarry specifically.
    yes

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Goddammit I keep clicking on this thread thinking it's the games thread

• Options
    This game is exactly what I wanted it to be

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Goddammit I keep clicking on this thread thinking it's the games thread

Well, this sounds like a YOU problem

• Options
    Finished my first playthrough and

Almost everyone died. I did poorly

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I can't find a main thread but is anyone playing The Devil In Me?

It's pretty good for the first...two thirds or so.

(Full game spoilers)
    It has a terrible opening of very slowly platforming around an area as a tutorial, but inside the Murder Hotel it gets more interesting. The layout subtly shifts and eventually you start paying attention and realize that yes, there is now a wall where there was a hallway.

The animatronic/flesh puppets were interesting and I wish there was more of that tbh, there's a lot of talk about his past victims (I mean the guy has killed 189 people by the time we get to him) but not as much show as I would've liked. The main animatronic from the trailer you don't get to even see much (might differ with different choices I guess?) I completed it with everyone alive but once they all get out of the house it takes a massive downturn. Before that it's rats trapped in a cage with a cat, he knows the hotel, he knows every movement it can make, and we don't, but the last hour ro so is just him running around with an axe in the woods which takes anything unique out of it. There is a location where you can see some of his trophies but it's so dark, the camera is bad, and you can't see much so you can't, for instance, recognize specific people from some of the stories told.

There's barely any use of traps, in the prologue the original killer uses a gas room and there's a spike pit, in the main game there's a Saw-style trap that's just used on mannequins to show you what happened to previous victims, and one trap early on is a fakeout. So given that there's noone on the island but us, if you're keeping people alive, noone is actually dying for the length of the game (technically two people do die but its off screen). There's a pretty horrific tale about the Morello family, and kids are not spared, but not enough time is spent on it. Maybe it's my morbid curiosity but I want to know more about what happened.

I was hoping for something supernatural, but it's still fairly good. The Killer is an abused child with massive behavioural issues who manages to focus that into becoming a great FBI Serial Killer profiler but at some point he snaps because of the current serial killer he is dealing with, takes on a bunch of aliases to take control of the island and this former hotel/spa and turns it into his murder palace. I don't quite understand where the money came from for this or why noone ever investigated the construction crew who never turned up again, but eh. I'd say none of the characters are likeable, they're all kind of dicks and while you can improve their relationships over time, they're not very compelling, and the best endings seem to rely on Mark who is mostly a non-entity.

There are the usual technical issues, it's slow to explore, you can walk somewhere to explore and trigger a cutscene that will shift you from the location so you miss out on secrets/exploration, which wouldn't be too bad except you can only start from the beginning of chapters, which as mentioned is incredibly slow. I love the concept of these games and I do enjoy them and this is a pretty enjoyable story for the most part. I think this and House of Ashes ended the season much stronger than Man of Medan and Little Hope, the latter of which I really hated by the ending completely undermining everything.