Options

The Cycle: Frontier, Season 1 Now! and other [Extraction Looters]

ObiFettObiFett Use the ForceAs You WishRegistered User regular
edited June 2022 in Games and Technology
Do you like looting in Battle Royale games? Do you wish you could just leave with the loot you got in the match and not have to worry about winning? Do you like the intensity of knowing that there are no respawns and death is punishing? Do you wish there were PvE elements? Do you also want to worry about things like insurance and inventory management and getting fucking shot right as you were about to leave with your awesome loot and now you lost it all and for fucks sake why am I playing this game?!

Well this is the genre for you!

The basic gameplay loop is this:
- Buy some gear at base
- Load into a map
- Loot the map, kill/loot other players, kill/loot AI
- Extract
- Use the stuff you loot to make cooler stuff and upgrade your base which lets you buy more stuff.

Here's the catch: if you die, you lose everything, even the stuff you brought with you. If you bought some insurance, you might get some money back for it. If you kill someone, you can take their stuff. Its very much a push your luck type game. Also, to prevent any of the population from getting too powerful and to introduce new stuff, progress (loot, gear, money, base upgrades, etc) is wiped every few months. This creates a constant feeling of progression and fairness as everyone is reset down to the basics to start that progression over.

The games generally allow groups of 1-3 people. Play with a group and its about speed and efficiency. Play as a solo and its about stealth and survival.

Most of the games have quests/missions that pay out money which helps fund your raids.

For the longest time it was dominated by Escape From Tarkov (and it still is!) but other games have made a run at the genre. Lets talk about them!

The Cycle: Frontier (F2P-$100)
the_cycle_frontier-740x416.jpg

The newest released extraction looter with a sci-fi feel. I've watched the other two games closely but never got into them, this one has pulled me in. If Escape From Tarkov the PubG of the genre, The Cycle is the Apex Legends of the genre. Its more casual (still intense and punishing) and matches are easy to get in and out of. There are tons of interesting PvE elements on the map and lots of opportunities to PvP or escape it.

Here's a video:

The other Extraction Looters out there:

Escape From Tarkov ($40-140)
491931_IGDB-272x380.jpg

The one that made it popular. EFT is a realistic take on the genre. Super high lethality. You have to worry about things like hunger and thirst. If specific body parts get shot your character will act accordingly. You can bleed out! You can die from the elements! Its pretty intense! Its very complicated!

This guy explains it pretty well
Also, you get to play Tetris with your inventory
br19m6akc1cb.png

Hunt: Showdown ($20)
capsule_616x353.jpg

Wild West meets Van Helsing. Also, there are character classes with powers that you level up and get more perks and things. But the characters have permadeath! You die in a match and your character dies! This one is less about looting and more about racing to kill a monster and then extracting with that loot. While you can loot other players, its mostly about finding clues to hunt down a monster. Clues pull players into the same location which causes conflict. The big loot is from killing the main monsters at the end.

Here's a great video explaining it:

Marauders (Coming Soon)
capsule_616x353.jpg

Think Tarkov in space where you work with a crew to pilot a spaceship (kind of like Sea of Thieves) and use that ship to go around a map to dock and loot stuff. Or destroy other players ships. Or board/breach other players or AI ships and steal them. Then take that ship/loot out of the match and do it again. Or die and lose all your stuff and have to buy a new ship and things. It seems pretty rad!

Not too much is known about it but there was a closed alpha and quite a few videos are out there that can explain it better than me so take a look:

Lets talk about these games!

ObiFett on

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I do find it funny that the Cycle Frontier has actually "released" and Tarkov is still in its beta whatever cycle its been in for years.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I'm completely new to this genre. I've seen people play Tarkov and Hunt:Showdown, but never jumped in myself.

Until the Cycle. This game seemed like a perfect starting point. And I am loving it.

BUT, there are some hard lessons to learn and I've learned lots of things over the past 20ish hours. But none more important than what happened a couple days ago.

I went to Lake to kill some Striders for a quest. As expected, some players showed up within minutes of my first shot. I had learned the lesson to always stay near cover and quickly hid as soon as I saw the duo enter the other side of the Lake. Unfortunately for me, they were heading my way. Meaning they had already seen me or I was just unlucky. As they neared the rock, I looked over at the Lab to plan an escape and my luck changed when I saw another solo taking aim at the duo. As the duo split up to circle my rock, I engaged one of the duo and the solo at the lab engaged the other half of the duo. I downed my target and circled around the rock to flank the last half of the duo, cleanly taking them out too. I quickly healed up, watching for the solo to rush me but he never came. Eventually he popped out and we talked, declaring friendly. Another lesson I've learned is that it can be profitable to be friendly. I've talked to lots of other solos and have left peacefully in every conversation its been decided we are peaceful. This guy was no different. Super chill and we agreed to split the loot. I kept him at a distance while he walked to his corpse. I walked to mine and started looting.

Two shotguns shells to my back from my friend while looking into the backpack and I was foamed heading back to base.

I learned the hard way that while I can make peace with people, it doesn't mean I'm safe.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do find it funny that the Cycle Frontier has actually "released" and Tarkov is still in its beta whatever cycle its been in for years.

Right? I mean, lets be real, though, EFT is not in beta. Its essentially out. Its released

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

Right? I mean, lets be real, though, EFT is not in beta. Its essentially out. Its released

It is but it isn't. Like the bones are there, but like there connecting pieces aren't. Like I've never played it, but watched a bunch of it, and EFT is still trying to like find its sea legs on what works for the playerbase in terms of damage models, reload speeds etc etc. Like effectively the game is released, but the changes they routinely make to things is more of a beta period than other games.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I do find it strange outside of hunt, none of other games come to console. Like The cycle doesn't have inventory jenga of Tarkov, so it could easily be on console?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I feel like The Cycle is made for consoles and I don't doubt it will hit consoles within a year.

• Options
    I feel like The Cycle is made for consoles and I don't doubt it will hit consoles within a year.

Its what I thought when I saw the inventory. Would make it way easier to make the jump to consoles.

Since we haven't talked about it, Maurauders is very rough from what I saw of alpha, like concept is there, but the looting, and levels were super super rough.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Its an alpha, it should be rough. I like the concept, tho

• Options
    Its an alpha, it should be rough. I like the concept, tho

Its an interesting idea for sure. My worry is when players get there. Like in the alpha the best way of "winning" was to attack other players ships after they looted and then just kill them on the way out, which felt kind of lame.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Thats kind of the deal with all these games, tho right? There's always gonna be some less than honorable or easier way to jump players and take their stuff.

• Options
    Thats kind of the deal with all these games, tho right? There's always gonna be some less than honorable or easier way to jump players and take their stuff.

But there needs to be a balance or a counter to it. Like rats going to rat, but you need to balance that a bit.

Also feels like cycle needs to balance the manticore because swear to god its the gun that kills 90% of the player base.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I don't mind the Manticore right now, it lets me compete without spending too many credits per run. What they need to do is lower the costs of the higher rarity guns

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Tarkov will never release because the lead dev has completely conflicting design goals as to what the game should be.

Everything should be extremely realistic...except when gameifying a system is exactly what he wants.

People should work together as scavs...but the punishments for betraying as a scav are functionally non-existant.

It should be about PVP combat, so we are going to reduce npc spawns...and then add in a bunch of quests to kill and for loot off those reduced npcs.

Plus ya know, he's a misogynistic asshole but that should probably be expected at this point from developers.

I would not recommend giving BSG any $.

• Options
    It does seem like the EFT community is pretty fed up with the devs. All those sound like legit complaints.

Come play The Cycle!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I remember playing The Cycle a bunch a couple years ago. Did it do the "real" release or something recently? I'm suddenly seeing it referenced when I thought it died.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Yeah its fully "come out" as it were. I believe there is a season pass incoming too.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I remember playing The Cycle a bunch a couple years ago. Did it do the "real" release or something recently? I'm suddenly seeing it referenced when I thought it died.
    Its completely different than it was a few years ago. It used to be more like Hunt:Showdown, where it was a single match with a race to objectives.

Now, its more like Tarkov. You load into a map and loot, kill AI/Players, and extract when you feel you have enough stuff or have made progress on your missions. Its different from Tarkov in that maps stay open for 6 hours and people are dropping/extracting throughout the lifecycle of the map. I think Tarkov matchmakes and then no new players load in once the match starts.

This makes solo play a bit different. In Tarkov, solo players rat for longer and generally wait for teams to run through the maps and extract so they can get whatever's left in relative safety from other players. Doesn't work that way in Cycle since once someone leaves, more people are just gonna drop in.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Yeah its fully "come out" as it were. I believe there is a season pass incoming too.

They are calling the current situation "preseason" as a way to make sure all the kinks and bugs are worked out before they sell their first season pass which will be on June 22nd.

Twitch drops start next week, too. They've got a weird loot system with Twitch drops where you get a drop every 30min or something but its randomized. So you have a chance to get up to even legendary gear.

• Options
    Right, so I definitely played this before and unlocked a bunch of shit. Either it wasn't linked to my steam account or I need to do something. Hmm.

• Options
    Progression has been wiped multiple times. So unless you're talking about unlocking cosmetics...

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I've always liked the "idea" of the risk reward, escape with loot feature. I enjoyed the idea of the Darkzone in the Divsion games .. but hated other players. I dont play vs shooters anymore, getting older, eyesight isnt as good as it used to be and I cant be bothered to go against the players who are amazing, and of course the cheating shitbags. Id be super happy for something shooty but PVE only. That said I do watch some streamers play these type of games (Welyn, Jackfrags and his usual crew) and Id rather watch than play.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Figured out it was in the epic game store. I have a bunch of premium skins and stuff.

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    does deep rock galactic count as a PvE only extraction FPS

• Options
    darkmayo wrote: »
    I've always liked the "idea" of the risk reward, escape with loot feature. I enjoyed the idea of the Darkzone in the Divsion games .. but hated other players. I dont play vs shooters anymore, getting older, eyesight isnt as good as it used to be and I cant be bothered to go against the players who are amazing, and of course the cheating shitbags. Id be super happy for something shooty but PVE only. That said I do watch some streamers play these type of games (Welyn, Jackfrags and his usual crew) and Id rather watch than play.

Division's Survival game mode was what got me really into this kind of game. It was great because it could be played purely PvE despite other players being on the map

• Options
    asofyeun wrote: »

No idea, I have little to zero knowledge about DRG. I guess it might be based on the cursory blurb I just read about it.

• Options
    asofyeun wrote: »

No idea, I have little to zero knowledge about DRG. I guess it might be based on the cursory blurb I just read about it.

DRG wouldn't really count because you don't put anything at risk when you drop. You go in, collect things, and only get some of those things as rewards when you extract. Also no PvP if you consider that key.

But I think a key element of extraction looters is that you also risk what you bring in with you (and PvP is therefore likely important because other people want that stuff.)

• Options
    I am Digitalwolfe33871 apparently. Something to do with the Epic and Steam merge. If anyone wants to group up sometime, add me.

• Options
    I am Digitalwolfe33871 apparently. Something to do with the Epic and Steam merge. If anyone wants to group up sometime, add me.

ObiFett27480

• Options
    darkmayo wrote: »

Division's Survival game mode was what got me really into this kind of game. It was great because it could be played purely PvE despite other players being on the map

Fucking loved PVE survival mode. Like legit one of my favorite modes in a game, you had to combat the illness, the elements and then the enemies without your normal kit. Made for plenty of fun times.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The season pass for Cycle drops today. I'm honestly looking forward to it. These games get even more fun if you have specific objectives.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm excited for the Season Pass. I'm also hoping the Welcome Packs go back on sale, because at nearly 80 hours in the game already, I feel like its earned my money and want some of the goodies in those packs.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    So the Season Pass pays for itself. Its 900 Aurum (12.99 USD) and I can earn 1200 Aurum by completing the pass. I like when games do that.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    I'm annoyed/frustrated that the season pass gets xp from things like 'Leveling up a faction' or 'Upgrading the quarters', but I've already done the majority of the leveling up/upgrading in the pre-season.

• Options
    Blah64 wrote: »
    I'm annoyed/frustrated that the season pass gets xp from things like 'Leveling up a faction' or 'Upgrading the quarters', but I've already done the majority of the leveling up/upgrading in the pre-season.

Oof that does sting actually.

• Options
    So the Season Pass pays for itself. Its 900 Aurum (12.99 USD) and I can earn 1200 Aurum by completing the pass. I like when games do that.

One of my favorite elements of RDR's season pass system was just that. The initial buy in was rewarded with items and your money back. Probably why they stopped fucking doing it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Twitch Drops are active for the next few weeks. We get up to 6 randomized loot (armor, weapons, backpacks) drops each day and one cosmetic.

• Options
    The fact that the season pass doesn't have daily goals or anything is sort of a bummer to me. I was hoping it would offer me micro goals daily that were more specific than just, "keep playing the game the way you have been."

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    DRG wouldn't really count because you don't put anything at risk when you drop. You go in, collect things, and only get some of those things as rewards when you extract. Also no PvP if you consider that key.

But I think a key element of extraction looters is that you also risk what you bring in with you (and PvP is therefore likely important because other people want that stuff.)

Hitman 3 will apparently get a "roguelite" mode that kinda-sorta fits this mold -- you have a persistent hideout you can upgrade, you take contracts, buy gear, bring it to the mission, and lose that fancy sniper rifle if you don't bring it back out with you again.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I want to enjoy this genre... except most of the devs in it insist that PvP is somehow a required element. Except that every time I've played one of these, it is absolutely mandatory that you will run into cheaters that make a round pointless or you will run into players with 500+ hours that play nothing else that turn the "fun" into just punching yourself in the dick. Without a coop PvE mode, no thanks, I have better things to do than let bad dev decisions rob me of time and effort because I'm not allowed to avoid people that will always ruin any of the fun.

Case in point, looks like The Cycle released just this month and is already swamped with cheaters, making it worthless unless you want to roll the dice on getting a lucky cheater-free match. But modern game companies gotta squeeze those whales, so no PvE and too bad if you don't like getting fucked by cheaters!

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    If you're looking for a PvE extraction looter-ish experience that is also in VR, there's Into the Radius. It's essentially STALKER in VR. You gotta keep your weapons clean, load ammo into your magazines, feed yourself, you look for loot and stuff, and if you die you lose everything on you (but you can find your corpse and get that stuff back, I believe). I haven't played it myself but it looks fun.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJNxx2Q7ME