As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Not Safe For [Job] thread

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Heffling wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    "Can you help me with this? I'm trying to get my hunting license. I passed all the firearms stuff but I keep failing the ethics test."
    "I'm...not sure about that."

Turns out he knew all his stuff, it was just a really poorly-designed test. One of those multiple choice things where half the questions had two or three answers that weren't in any way incorrect, but the test writer had one in mind that was most correct.

Between his study notes on conservation and fair chase doctrine and my nose for multiple-choice red flags, we managed to pass it with a respectable 88%.

You helped someone cheat on an ethics exam?

*edit* Not being judgy, just confirming I read the story correctly.

Yup! I will take more time than usual to help you cheat on your ethics exam, because the vast majority of them are designed by corporate consultants to deny entry-level retail interviews to people who thoughtfully answer like humans.

There has never been a written ethics test that reflected on the people who failed it more poorly than the people who wrote it.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Looks like the news is out that we are likely going to be switching to Canvas for our learning platform.

God... I hope a decade since our last major tech shakeup on this scale was enough for people to learn how to do it better.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Hey Jedoc, you should post those cat pictures in this thread. Cause the other thread is old and busted and this one deserves pictures of dry cats.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    0skkrx7ndu6i.png

Not sure if we've got a library cat or a very fuzzy unstable particle. Nobody's been able to get within ten feet without the subject dissolving into a cloud of chaotic parkour and randomized short-range teleportation.

Library cat update: the fuzzy particle was captured by two librarians the day I posted that photo. He was named Liability due to the bites and scratches he inflicted on said librarians while they were on the clock. Bill for short. He has been successfully treated for fleas and hates everything in the world significantly less after a week of being brooded by one librarian's elder cat.

Meanwhile, this fine fellow showed up at the other library I'm subbing at:
    ml99k2m0j2b0.png

He was significantly friendlier from the start, but equally flea-ridden.

Anyway, both Bill and Ellison have been rehomed with a former coworker of ours, who is a total rube and has wanted a cat for a long time despite her completely unsuitable apartment.

Godspeed, you weird little dudes. I look forward to giving you scritches at a future book club dinner party.

Whoops, sorry. Dang alternate timelines.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    "Can you help me with this? I'm trying to get my hunting license. I passed all the firearms stuff but I keep failing the ethics test."
    "I'm...not sure about that."

Turns out he knew all his stuff, it was just a really poorly-designed test. One of those multiple choice things where half the questions had two or three answers that weren't in any way incorrect, but the test writer had one in mind that was most correct.

Between his study notes on conservation and fair chase doctrine and my nose for multiple-choice red flags, we managed to pass it with a respectable 88%.

You helped someone cheat on an ethics exam?

*edit* Not being judgy, just confirming I read the story correctly.

Yup! I will take more time than usual to help you cheat on your ethics exam, because the vast majority of them are designed by corporate consultants to deny entry-level retail interviews to people who thoughtfully answer like humans.

There has never been a written ethics test that reflected on the people who failed it more poorly than the people who wrote it.

My claim to fame in high school was 1) getting kicked off the JV tennis team despite beating the #1 seed and 2) failing the computer science ethics exam.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    When I worked at Walmart, I tried for a front end supervisor spot. I was an ace, was already doing half the duties to cover for the others etc.

I failed the management test because I answered humanly and not corporately.

I was told by the others what a foolish thing that was and that I should have had one of them sit with me to take the test.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Jesus fuck, why did I take yet ANOTHER job that expects me to start at 7am.

(Remembers WFH 4/5 days, better pay, far less stress, could show up late and make up time if I wanted to)

...ok fine, but still, fuck mornings

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I had my morning meeting, and we as a corporation track labor patterns, and the labor market is starting to cool.

Internal recruiter: if there are any positions you can put off for 3 months you’ll get more qualified in applicants.

That’s not what I want to hear at all.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    What does "labor market is starting to cool" mean? More jobs or more job seekers?

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    It means fewer of both, I'm afraid.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Is that bad? My dumb brain says less supply + less demand = no real difference

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    When I was in college I would come home every summer and work at Blockbuster video just for the summer. I did this for a few summers, knew everyone there, knew the managers, I was an easy hire b/c no training needed .. then the last summer I tried to apply they told me I failed the ethics test. I still have no idea what I answered that was incorrect.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    When they ask, you say "No, I would not download a car", even though you know the truth

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Is that bad? My dumb brain says less supply + less demand = no real difference

Disagree with MrMonroe that there'll be fewer jobs on the market, I just think there's more and more people joining the labor force because of the higher demand (=less picky employers, so even if you've been out of it for 10 years you still stand a chance to be hired). It's also very questionable whether restaurants and other service industry employers will continue to have this high demand for employees. As we've seen during the previous flare-ups of Corona it'll just take a week of a new strain fucking everything up for employers to fire all their temps and flip off every 'nonessential' worker.

You want to apply when the market is hot. There will be fewer competing applicants and employers will be more willing to offer you higher wages or other benefits to get you to sign on asap.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    What does "labor market is starting to cool" mean? More jobs or more job seekers?

Every week I get a grain market report that says things like "Barley looking bearish given forecast of US import needs" and I've never once known what the fuck

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Every week I get a grain market report that says things like "Barley looking bearish given forecast of US import needs" and I've never once known what the fuck

It means that they're writing "bearley" on the shipping manifests more often that week.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

The US doesn't need much barley from other countries, so they're not going to buy much. This means those other countries will have a surplus, driving down the price of barley. Good for barley eaters, but bad for barley growers/sellers

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited June 2022

Typically it means fewer jobs relative to the number of job seekers. Either because firms are slowing hiring, or a bunch of folks joined the labor force.

For more practical purposes, businesses will be more selective, workers may find they have to settle in areas of the job they didn't want to including compensation

Narbus on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I know with our plant we went on a hiring blitz for about 5 or 6 months and were just stuffing people in the door. We had a much higher turnover with people not showing back up after orientation or only lasting their first paycheck but eventually the numbers started to stabilize.

I went to a tutor network meeting and my big point that I stressed was now that we've got bodies we need to be waaaaay more particular about who we start bringing in from then on, to which most people agreed. We had to stop the hemorrhaging with whoever would apply and the general quality was... not good. A lot of folks had never ever been in a manufacturing setting and it's not for everybody. So now we're being much more selective with our applicants. Or supposedly anyway.

• Options
    In meadery news today we're making a batch of

Ginger beer!

Haha I bet you thought I was gonna say mead but you were wrong.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

Ummmmmm....PIT!
    Juggernut wrote: »

Ginger beer!

Nectar of heaven

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I love love love me a nice ginger beer

Not so much in the summer but put one in front of me and I ain't complainin

• Options
    This is a test batch we're making with some dude. It will hopefully ferment to about 7% abv.

Lemme tell you, we're boiling ginger, cinnamon, white pepper, sugar and agave and it smells delicious.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Will you be making mead at the ginger beerery then?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    yeah that sounds goddamn delicious

a good ginger beer should feel like drinking Christmas and that definitely sounds like that

• Options
    Hot mama this is tasty.

David_T wrote: »

Absolutely not.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Mods?!

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

Mods?!

If they can make a ginger beer as tasty as Crabbie's I'll let it slide.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Looks like the news is out that we are likely going to be switching to Canvas for our learning platform.

God... I hope a decade since our last major tech shakeup on this scale was enough for people to learn how to do it better.

How many people are still around to have learned from the mistakes that time?

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    One of our primary vendors has not been able to send us data back for a week.

Which is a problem, but on Sundsy they were hit by an attack which still has them shut down and stops us from sending data to them which is... enormously worse of a problem.

Needless to say, I'm not having a great week but others are having a much less fun one.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Tomanta wrote: »

Well, the middle management that was around then have moved into upper management...

... *deep sighs*

Edit: I should mention, I have a plan.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

Well, the middle management that was around then have moved into upper management...

... *deep sighs*

Edit: I should mention, I have a plan.

does it involve a box of spiders and nerve gas

• Options

Ummmmmm....PIT!
    Juggernut wrote: »

Ginger beer!

Nectar of heaven

I am a sucker for any card game with chaotic shouting and a victory bell.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    As an in-the-trenches IT help desk type, the only thing I enjoy more than an outage is how boggled my colleagues are at how much I enjoy an outage.

It's like. What else are we gonna do? Just take the calls, it's all you can do. Don't worry about whatever else you had going on, there's an outage.

"IT, shit's fucked, how can we help you?"

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I love a good outage. We may get a lot of calls, but there’s literally nothing we can do except tell people “go wait it out”. It’s relaxing. Kind of like sitting on the porch during a thunderstorm.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Well, I heard back from Bungie that they've made a decision but the recruiter wants to talk in person to go over it, and he's busy today so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get my results.

This is stupid stressful, just tell me one way or the other dammit!

(I'd like to think that wanting to talk in person is a good sign, but it's still stressing me way out. I should be studying for my next cert exam but I'm not sure I'll be able to focus on anything till I find out.)

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Tomorrow might turn out to be interesting, depending on how much my supervisors care about policy and procedure. There's going to be a lot of people going under a bus in the report I'm writing, because apparently these motherfuckers thought they're clever until I caught hold of an odd thread and yanked to reveal a colossal clusterfuck lurking beneath the surface.

It's nothing illegal or similar. They're just lazy, but in ways that lead to big problems later. Like drawing the eye of Sacramento problems. And, to be quite honest, I have no sympathy for these people after all the chances they've been given to actually do their jobs.

It is complete and the arrow loosed. A full report slash audit I've been working on since I started the day at 0700 and, uh, haven't done anything else. It is now 1420 and I hunger.

Will this report even do anything? Who knows. I pointed out the problems and that's all I can do. If things don't change that's just more incentive for me to drop this place hard enough to make Char Aznable jealous.

• Options
    Well, I heard back from Bungie that they've made a decision but the recruiter wants to talk in person to go over it, and he's busy today so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get my results.

(I'd like to think that wanting to talk in person is a good sign, but it's still stressing me way out. I should be studying for my next cert exam but I'm not sure I'll be able to focus on anything till I find out.)

Sending good vibes... And hoping they haven't linked back to this forum... Or if they have it is in a positive light. :)

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022

It means corporations are desperate for workers but don't want to give them more money, so hope to convince us they aren't desperate.

Heffling on
  • Options

Sending good vibes... And hoping they haven't linked back to this forum... Or if they have it is in a positive light. :)

Thanks! I don't *think* they'd really have any way to find me here (I google myself a couple times a year and all that ever pops up is my LinkedIn) but even if they did I don't think there'd really be anything to disqualify me, knock on wood

This discussion has been closed.