Options

I Blame the [Steam] Thread

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    I liked the psp monhun well enough but have never actually played a version of the game with anything I would describe as “real existing” camera controls.

I feel like that experience though I got wrapped up in doing the same early fights over and over because I didn’t know anything about what to craft to progress and kind of just trailed off on playing without a sense of progress

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    wow that new thread came up fast

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    "Boss fight: the game" just sounds exhausting, tbh.

In practice, games that people apply that label to usually aren't because they aren't all boss rushes with no break. There's usually a map to explore and do things on before encountering the mission/quest boss, just no map full of mooks to fight through first. Monster Hunter in particular also has the breaks when a target monster retreats to safety so you have breathers in the middle of the fight outside of some specific cases like arena missions. The term still fits though as almost everything you'll fight would be a boss in another game and it's usually the monster fights people remember and talk about.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Calescent wrote: »
    VirtuaVerse is free to keep on GOG for the next 67+ hours.

ta94jje5yish.jpg

But how much is it going for on the Steam Sale?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

In practice, games that people apply that label to usually aren't because they aren't all boss rushes with no break. There's usually a map to explore and do things on before encountering the mission/quest boss, just no map full of mooks to fight through first. Monster Hunter in particular also has the breaks when a target monster retreats to safety so you have breathers in the middle of the fight outside of some specific cases like arena missions. The term still fits though as almost everything you'll fight would be a boss in another game and it's usually the monster fights people remember and talk about.

I never tested this, but I'm assuming if you don't continue to pursue monsters across the map after smacking them around, they start healing. Is there a rate for how fast that happens?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I never tested this, but I'm assuming if you don't continue to pursue monsters across the map after smacking them around, they start healing. Is there a rate for how fast that happens?

Monsters only tend to heal when they sleep, but it's very very slow.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Monsters only tend to heal when they sleep, but it's very very slow.

Huh. I always just assumed if I didn't haul ass after a monster I was effectively erasing any progress I'd made against them up to that point. I've only played just up past "One for the History Books" in World, and I should probably get back into it. Also have to finish Elden Ring. And Horizon Forbidden West. And Assassin's Creed Odyssey. And Bloodborne. And Dragon Quest XI. And . . .

I have issues focusing.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Look, I'm a huge graphics snob. I can't live without my RTX, my HDR, 1440p at least. High quality textures, incredible models, etc. I love my shinies. I loved MHWorld and Iceborne and put hundreds of hours into it, almost 1k.

But after playing Rise, World feels slow, clunky, and stiff. I simply cannot go back to it, no matter the fidelity.

I really wish people would give it a chance, but if we see low-res textures as a "problem" that destroys a masterful game then I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

I'm not saying I won't play it, or that I'll go back to World.

I'm just grumpy that it's a sharply noticeable step backwards graphically. I like my pretties as pretty as possible.

Honestly, for me, the Rise graphical style is a significant upgrade. I can actually see shit again. I had a hell of a time in multiple World maps because the visual noise was enough to cause me to not see attacks and subsequently get very murdered.

If the price of actually feeling in control of what I'm doing is some uglier textures, I'm absolutely game!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    New thread new thank you post! Big ol thank you to @cardboard delusions for Aer Memories of the Olds, for old time's sake. And @Aumni who called my bluff when I said nobody would would dumb enough to gift me sunbreak. <3<3<3 Thank you both very very much.

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Look, I'm a huge graphics snob. I can't live without my RTX, my HDR, 1440p at least. High quality textures, incredible models, etc. I love my shinies. I loved MHWorld and Iceborne and put hundreds of hours into it, almost 1k.

But after playing Rise, World feels slow, clunky, and stiff. I simply cannot go back to it, no matter the fidelity.

I really wish people would give it a chance, but if we see low-res textures as a "problem" that destroys a masterful game then I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

I'm just grumpy that it's a sharply noticeable step backwards graphically. I like my pretties as pretty as possible.

Honestly, for me, the Rise graphical style is a significant upgrade. I can actually see shit again. I had a hell of a time in multiple World maps because the visual noise was enough to cause me to not see attacks and subsequently get very murdered.

If the price of actually feeling in control of what I'm doing is some uglier textures, I'm absolutely game!

The fact they gave options to reduce your own hit effects by half and other players hit effects to one quarter original size in Sunbreak is amazing. And needed. Rise can be a bit of a mess in multiplayer because of those.

• Options

The fact they gave options to reduce your own hit effects by half and other players hit effects to one quarter original size in Sunbreak is amazing. And needed. Rise can be a bit of a mess in multiplayer because of those.

Yeah I can't really opine on multiplayer because the last time I player monhun multiplayer was... I think 4? I'm very much 100% solo hunter. I like to do stuff at my own pace.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Yeah, no, Monster hunter is very fair like that. One of the thing that makes monster hunter a lot better than other boss fight simulators is that because of the part breaking, monsters in general get weaker as fights go along - to the point that it's often advised to do things like trap tigrex and break one or both his wings asap, because they'll loose traction during it charges. Breaking Uragann's chin turns it into a weak point, Breaking Brachydios's arms means it looses slime on them way faster and has to do it's stop and lick animation vastly more often.

Likewise, any monster that uses it's tail a lot gets easier if you sever the tail, as you reduce the the actual hit box of the tail attacks. Tension is kept up by monsters enraging more easily when low on health, but while Enraging makes a monster more agressive and usually increases it's moveset, it's not actually a net demerit to the player - aggressive monsters get more predictable (They really want to kill you!), they sometimes loose moves that are annoying (Enraged Deviljho stops drooling for instance, and Jho's drool inflicts defense down). They often gain new vulnerabilities too. Likewise, injured monsters will also decide they would like to run the hell away now more often, so you can sneak up on them and place bombs or similar.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options

Yeah I can't really opine on multiplayer because the last time I player monhun multiplayer was... I think 4? I'm very much 100% solo hunter. I like to do stuff at my own pace.

I usually crush through all of the hunts solo, but then tend to revisit them afterwards in MP and also solo hunts depending on how I feel.

But yes, the monster movement is extremely clear to me except for one: Apex Mizutsune in the Frost Islands map at night is kind of awful.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

You could just turn down your settings? That seems like a more appropriate solution (if this is a problem for some people) than having uglier graphics across the board. :P

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Yeah, no, Monster hunter is very fair like that. One of the thing that makes monster hunter a lot better than other boss fight simulators is that because of the part breaking, monsters in general get weaker as fights go along - to the point that it's often advised to do things like trap tigrex and break one or both his wings asap, because they'll loose traction during it charges. Breaking Uragann's chin turns it into a weak point, Breaking Brachydios's arms means it looses slime on them way faster and has to do it's stop and lick animation vastly more often.

Likewise, any monster that uses it's tail a lot gets easier if you sever the tail, as you reduce the the actual hit box of the tail attacks. Tension is kept up by monsters enraging more easily when low on health, but while Enraging makes a monster more agressive and usually increases it's moveset, it's not actually a net demerit to the player - aggressive monsters get more predictable (They really want to kill you!), they sometimes loose moves that are annoying (Enraged Deviljho stops drooling for instance, and Jho's drool inflicts defense down). They often gain new vulnerabilities too. Likewise, injured monsters will also decide they would like to run the hell away now more often, so you can sneak up on them and place bombs or similar.

Injured emergency Diablos can do one.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

You could just turn down your settings? That seems like a more appropriate solution (if this is a problem for some people) than having uglier graphics across the board. :P

Stylized is not uglier. Rise's graphics are sigifanclty more readable on account of going for stylization than realism.

(Also @jungleroomx i have no idea what you're saying there)

• Options

Turning down settings doesn't really reduce clutter, it just makes the clutter more pixelly!

• Options
    edited June 2022

Stylized is not uglier. Rise's graphics are sigifanclty more readable on account of going for stylization than realism.

(Also jungleroomx i have no idea what you're saying there)

Which part? 0_0

About the control in World?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Injured emergency diablos can do one... what?

• Options

Piss off, fuck itself, take a hike, walk off a pier, etc

• Options

I still have no idea how that relates at all to what i said. And the emergecy apex quests are explicitly bonus content for people who'd beaten everything else.

• Options

I still have no idea how that relates at all to what i said. And the emergecy apex quests are explicitly bonus content for people who'd beaten everything else.

Well just that when a monster is injured it gets a little ragey but there's downsides to it.

Emergency Apex Diablos has zero downsides when it starts raging, it just keeps ramping up the difficulty as you go along.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/d-sMiaE4aW4

• Options
    I mean.. again, bonus hardest of the hard content, it's not really a reasonable counter argument? Yeah, the apex emergency quests are hard as hell and get rid of a lot of the usual player friendly stuff, it's like saying DS3 NG+19 is not very well balanced or something - you're at the werid end of content for players who want the ultimate challenge. For 99% of the player base the fact that Apex Emergency Diablos is a maddened freight train who hates you is not relevant.

• Options
    I mean.. again, bonus hardest of the hard content, it's not really a reasonable counter argument? Yeah, the apex emergency quests are hard as hell and get rid of a lot of the usual player friendly stuff, it's like saying DS3 NG+19 is not very well balanced or something - you're at the werid end of content for players who want the ultimate challenge. For 99% of the player base the fact that Apex Emergency Diablos is a maddened freight train who hates you is not relevant.

Thats fair, was more a comment and comiseration of a bastard of a hard fight than anything

• Options
    Also for anyone confused as hell:

Monster Hunter Rise features variants of monsters known as Apexs. these have a different color palette, are usually a bit bigger than their normal version & have additional bits on them, and have expanded and more difficult movesets. They're usually fought at the end of some group content, or can be taken on solo, and the rewards are used in crafting a special series of weapons that are ultra-customizable. They're all very tough fights, but they're fun and fair overall, especially in their intended arena of being fought as group content at the end of Rampage missions

There are also Event quests which are not mandatory content. Some of these are <something something> Emergency quests. these have no special rewards normally (Or at least nothing of actual note), and feature monsters that have been tuned to ridiculous degrees. They're explicitly hard as hard bragging rights reward fights, and content you can safely and easily ignore if you wish. Nothing like the bollocks of fixing your save after you fucked up being locked behind in Malenia or the ilk

• Options
    CalescentCalescent Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Calescent wrote: »
    VirtuaVerse is free to keep on GOG for the next 67+ hours.

ta94jje5yish.jpg

But how much is it going for on the Steam Sale?

$4.49 (70% off of $14.99). There's also a free demo.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1019310/VirtuaVerse/

Steam: Calidaria
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    @Jragghen hooked me up with Garage: Bad Trip!

I remember wishlisting it becuase it seemed abit like a crazy mix between hotline miami and horror (well, moreso than Hotline already was). Should be pretty interesting.

Also, I'm ashamed to say its taken me way too many years to figure out Jragghen = dragon.

Thank you. :)

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

https://youtu.be/d-sMiaE4aW4
    https://youtu.be/2WLttZVhHUQ

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I prefer more of the cathartic mince your way through swarms myself. Like, the bosses in stuff like Odin Sphere or Oboro Muramasa were fucking gorgeous, but they were always such fucking obnoxious damage sponges, and sure you could patiently learn their attack patterns and find the safe spot or way to perfectly parry through to their back... or just give them distance and wait until their asthma catches up to them.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm getting old, but I looked at my wishlist, and only bothered to get Vampire Survivors and 1 DLC. I mean sure the discounts are nice, but not impressive like they used to be. I looked at something I no longer had on my list and it's less than 10 bucks, but once you get the DLC packs for sake of completeness, you're still paying over $53 with everything on sale. At normal price, it's over $150, probably more. I'm sitting at 124 games in the backlog now that I got VS and it feels kinda wasteful to keep going until I knock more down.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Covert Actions
    Corsini, Mugsley, and the Templars have successfully improved the damage output of our sniper rifles.

Currently, Regina Justitiae and Vard Northborn are working with the Reapers to demolish a facility critical to the supply lines of the Avatar project.

Operation Starving Giant
    Despite some rather dramatic intrusion countermeasures, Tygan and Shen successfully decrypted a codex brain, and retrieved a large caches of data. Key among them seems to be a set of coordinates pointing to an island in New Indonesia. Our attempts to glean information on the site found little. ADVENT forces have some presence on the island, but a fairly light one. Some hybrids, and a few more elite aliens units, but not the sort of large garrisons and mechanized units you might expect from a critical facility. However, the island is roamed by packs of chryssalids, and this is quite unusual. ADVENT makes relatively limited use of chryssalids, as while they can be quite deadly, they're not uniquely deadly such that anything they can do can't be matched by some of their other forces. And among ADVENT forces, only chrysalids have the potential of breaking loose and causing an outbreak that ADVENT would then have to spend further resources containing and covering up. Even an island like this might not necessarily contain them, as evidenced in Newfoundland during the invasion. However, this also may be why they are being used in this case. Other ADVENT forces require supplies, reinforcements, communication, all things the leave evidence that could be traced to a location. With chryssalids, you can just plop a bunch of them down and they will find food and replenish their numbers without leaving any logistical trace. From there a skeleton crew garrison can be left to manage things and ensure the chryssalids' conditioning holds, much more easily veiled than a full scale force. Whatever ADVENT is hiding here, they wanted to be absolutely certain that there wasn't the slightest trace of its existence, no matter what risks they had to take to assure that.

@Iolo, Telum, emnmnme, Shivahn, @Corsini, and @Mugsley were deployed to reach the coordinates, and joined on-site by a defecting trooper. As they neared the destination, they located one of the two pods currently garrisoning the site, a stunlancer, purifier, and spectre. Corsini made contact by skulljacking the purifier, successfully pulling a small intel cache. emnmnme dropped the stunlancer with a headshot, and Corsini and Iolo took down the spectre.

The squad moved up through the hilly terrain and was patrolled into by the other pod, another spectre two archons. Our trooper moved up and was able to frag an archon and the spectre, leaving the latter weak enough for emnmnme to drop it with a deadeye. Shiv then fired on the unwounded archon, damaging it enough that emnmnme could finish it as well. Mugsley and Corsini then took out the remaining archon.

The squad resumed their pace, with Telum in the lead. This was bug country, after all. Chryssalids were hidden burrowed all around the place, getting denser as we approached the coordinates, waiting to ambush us. Telum's blademaster ability would give her a chance to fend off the chryssalids, and armed with the Assassin's katana it was a pretty sure thing they wouldn't make it through Telum's guard. The final hundred meters to the coordinates saw several of the things emerge and get cut down. The location itself was not what we expected. No big facility, not even a building. Just a walkway done in some alien architectural style leading to gateway generating a psionic rift. The squad's approach set off the rest of the chryssalids. Instead of hiding in ambush, the rest of the pack all unburrowed and charged the squad. However, their numbers were already thinned and the squad was ready, so none made it close.

As the squad approached the rift, it energized, and a gatekeeper emerged from it, much like how the first codex we encountered emerged from a psionic rift, or how the alien rulers escaped via one. Telum grappled to high ground and rapid fired the gatekeeper, shredding its armor and leaving it heavily damaged for a finish by Mugsley. With that, the area was secure, and the squad removed the psionic gateway from its mounting for transport back to the Avenger. It'll be on the science team to take things from here.

QFyImHol.png

Mugsley was promoted to captain, and Corsini to lieutenant.

Corsini killed a purifier and a chrysalid.
    emnmnme killed a stunlancer, a spectre, an archon, and two chryssalids.
    Iolo killed a spectre.
    Mugsley killed an archon, a chryssalid, and a gatekeeper.
    Telum killed four chryssalids.
    Shivahn killed a chryssalid.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    honestly after having the weapon from world that I enjoyed be not very fun for me in rise and switching to something more fun, I like rise more for the most part with like two exceptions

One, the scaling for monsters is a little worse than world, unless I'm just flat out wrong even solo monsters are a bit chuftier than they are in world. And two, the loss of investigations. God investigations were so good because they let you hedge your bets on getting The Good Stuff instead of just rolling the carve table and hoping for the best.

Overall I do think Rise is an improvement over world though.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I went through and cleaned out my wishlist. I went looking for new things to maybe consider putting on it.

I just can't really get this absolute I need it feeling for anything anymore. I feel like I recognize more things I would ultimately be disappointed in.

I may just grab ff7r before the sale on that ends and that's about it

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Huh, at some point Steam removed all my non-Steam games. That happened to anyone else?

That's a pain, not least because I'd spent time setting their artwork up just so in most cases.

Jazz on
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    sqji6ln1sveu.jpg

@cardboard delusions gifted me lewds. Most interesting. Thanks a lot Agent. <3<3

• Options
    heenato wrote: »
    honestly after having the weapon from world that I enjoyed be not very fun for me in rise and switching to something more fun, I like rise more for the most part with like two exceptions

One, the scaling for monsters is a little worse than world, unless I'm just flat out wrong even solo monsters are a bit chuftier than they are in world. And two, the loss of investigations. God investigations were so good because they let you hedge your bets on getting The Good Stuff instead of just rolling the carve table and hoping for the best.

I'm pretty sure monsters in Rise actually have a bunch less HP, both solo and in a group. I know that my hunt times in Rise solo are not uncommonly half as long as the ones I pulled in World. And sure, I'm profoundly nonptimal, but still, I'm equally nonoptimal on both sides!

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I hope that answered jungleroomx 's question, because for my question I'm none the wiser :lol:

Hitman's ridiculous pricing model is what put me off buying the second game. Not like, out of principle, but because I didn't want to spend the time to figure out what the hell I needed to buy to get what I wanted.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

I'm pretty sure monsters in Rise actually have a bunch less HP, both solo and in a group. I know that my hunt times in Rise solo are not uncommonly half as long as the ones I pulled in World. And sure, I'm profoundly nonptimal, but still, I'm equally nonoptimal on both sides!

Yeah, Rise is significantly easier than World due to the mechanics it has.

Which means we may be in for a punishing Master rank expansion in Sunbreak

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    @initiatefailure with a random sneak attack!

mzn2b8ylklig.jpg

It does look cool as hell, looking forward to this! Thanks so much for Anno Mutationem! :heart:

Also I hope your kitty will be okay :heart:

This discussion has been closed.