Options

I Blame the [Steam] Thread

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    I've only played Rise and Worldborne, but I feel like the learning curve for Rise was a gentle bunny slope compared to Worlds onboarding.

I'd played every game since 4U, and Rise still felt like an overwhelming barrage of info boxes for the first thirty minutes.

All games are an overwhelming barrage of info boxes for 30 minutes, tho

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I've only played Rise and Worldborne, but I feel like the learning curve for Rise was a gentle bunny slope compared to Worlds onboarding.

I'd played every game since 4U, and Rise still felt like an overwhelming barrage of info boxes for the first thirty minutes.

And MH is comparatively legible. I tried God Eater 2 once, and uh

nope

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Oooh, @Isorn sent me Dorfromantik! I heard it was really good and was actually thinking about getting it myself! Lavender Gooms has been playing it nonstop, too :D

2clGYDZ.png

Thanks again!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    bcj3bfzyqd1d.png

Thanks @Isorn for adding more succubi to my collection! You say depressing, I saw awesome :D

<3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    Additional thanks to @Isorn for Settlement Survival. Totally ninja'd me with that one.

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    ysvk9xy2e5ed.jpg

@Asthariel wants me to enjoy this game alongside him. Or suffer? Whichever.

Thanks a lot. <3<3

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    A thank you to @Isorn for Loop Hero! Wooo!

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Also, I'm ashamed to say its taken me way too many years to figure out Jragghen = dragon.

0_0

Wait, hol up
    Is this some "ghoti=fish" black magic?
    How does j become d?

Read it like Juh-rag-inn, then say it really fast.

Next time someone makes an alt see if Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo fits in the text limit for profile names.

If you've got $4.99 to spare, and want to try something that is a bit different, American Truck Simulator is on sale. The base game comes with California and Nevada, with Arizona as free DLC, so for five bucks you get a pretty decent amount of territory to truck in. I play it with a wheel and its a blast, but I've heard its a lot of fun with a controller as well, plus it runs on the Steam Deck if you've got one of those.

Its the sort of game where you can set it up to be fairly precise and demanding, or you can turn some rules off so you can just relax and do some truckin' while the radio plays. There is a demo as well, in case you want to check it out without spending any money.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

nope

Currently playing Rise. The last time I played MH for any length of time it was 3U in the 3DS. I played a bit of world, and while it did have some really nice quality of life stuff over 3U, it really didn't grab me.

With Rise my main issue is one of learning: I kinda want to use the Charge Sword, but it's one with many systems. At the same time, I need to learn the game itself and how to attack, defend, and hunt the bigger prey. So far this has been easy, but to be honest I've been using the Defender set (which is seriously OP early on compared to anything else you can grab), so that is making things much easier than they should.

On the other hand, something like the Long Sword is fun, but overall fairly straightforward (and same thing on Defender Set applies.)

All the while I'm every now and then fighting the controls because I want to do something Dark Souls/Elden Ring style and it's really not similar.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    @Isorn strikes again!
    dt3fynyqnt4s.png

• Options
    Drovek wrote: »

nope

Currently playing Rise. The last time I played MH for any length of time it was 3U in the 3DS. I played a bit of world, and while it did have some really nice quality of life stuff over 3U, it really didn't grab me.

With Rise my main issue is one of learning: I kinda want to use the Charge Sword, but it's one with many systems. At the same time, I need to learn the game itself and how to attack, defend, and hunt the bigger prey. So far this has been easy, but to be honest I've been using the Defender set (which is seriously OP early on compared to anything else you can grab), so that is making things much easier than they should.

On the other hand, something like the Long Sword is fun, but overall fairly straightforward (and same thing on Defender Set applies.)

All the while I'm every now and then fighting the controls because I want to do something Dark Souls/Elden Ring style and it's really not similar.

Yeah I never got the "oh it plays like DS" either. It does only in the sense that it's deliberate and animationfocused, yeah, but beyond that, I don't think they have the same feel.

I like the weapon variety in MH, and always try some, but...I end up with the hammer every time. Because hammer.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    @Drovek fwiw, Charge Blade is probably the single most complicated weapon in the game by a pretty decent margin. Glaive and bowguns get near but that's more about managing ammo/insects, they have nothing on Charge Blades sprawling combo tree across two very very different forms + multiple different self buff states

On the flipside, you look awesome when you start mastering charge blade and get stuff like axe hopper + the excellent guard points. And your axe can become a chainsaw.

Personally I stick to greatsword and duals. Duals especially are pretty simple this go around which let's you really focus on what the monsters doing while you proceed to trounce it.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if this link will work but have some fun seeing how someone made their own Deck

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/vjl10k

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    The actual fun layer I added to the Steam sale is checking sites like gg.deals and see what other stores undercut the Steam sale price

IsThereAnyDeal is made for this.
    kk4okdyxu08m.png

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    The actual fun layer I added to the Steam sale is checking sites like gg.deals and see what other stores undercut the Steam sale price

IsThereAnyDeal is made for this.
    kk4okdyxu08m.png

Yeah I stopped using that site a long time ago, it feels cumbersome to use and laborious to navigate. gg.deals is way cleaner, but they've imo have different problems, namely slowly mixing in grey market key shops in the default price comparison (which thankfully is easy to switch off). It's funny actually, when that site was new, you had to click on "keyshop prices" or sth and it'd pop up a screen that was like "hey man, this is an indie game, maybe make sure that the devs actually get money and buy it from a legit store"

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular
    @cardboard delusions felt that I was being left out and sent me a gift yesterday.
    htr52mh1djxy.png
    Thanks for Morrowind! I played it on the original xbox decades ago so I'm looking forward to revisiting it, as well as seeing how it plays on my steam deck.

Today, @Isorn sent me 5 gifts while I was at work.
    a8q33qj22mn5.png
    Thank you Isorn for Final Fantasy IV, Neon White, Star Renegades, and Gris! Unfortunately Agent sent me Morrowind yesterday so I'll have to decline that one. Thanks again for the gifts you two.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

I just saw Dunkey play and then I went and played it. Not sure if it counts as one off the backlog since it was there for only about an hour.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I have an urge to play a casual turn-based tactics game of some sort. I have some already that for one reason or another fails to satisfy. XCOM and Darkest Dungeon have a story arc that stresses me. Wildermyth never grabbed me.
    I'd like a fantasy setting. A game session would be maybe 30 minutes and if I could run a dungeon and get back to town, that'd be great.

Gloomhaven looks good. The gameplay might be a little too intricate though, but it's my best bet so far.

Do you have any suggestions?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    @Isorn doing what Isorn does. You people are scary during sales :) Thank you very much, Isorn!
    mw8w2r0w7qwc.png
    Now back to keeping the kids alive!

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Daemonhunters episode 17

Intermission
    Upgrades finish on the plasma reactor, and we now have the full run of the upgrade system. Our first path right now will be ship weapons and shields, as enemy battleships are starting to wander the map and they give us sweet sweet loot.

We're in a bit of a hole for research, however. We are exhausted on several seed colors, and while we have plenty of yellow and green, currently available projects are skewed towards red and blue. We start the one yellow option available, a strategem that suppresses the warp surge meter.

An event triggers, and Ectar declares that the Knight's special day off for meditative contemplation is approaching. Vakir points out that we've been sitting in space staring at the sector map waiting for something to happen for sixteen days in a row and this should be more than enough meditative contemplation. Seeing as Vakir's already about to hit a brick wall and not be able to research anything, I choose to uphold the tradition. We get +50% exp growth and -50% research speed.

When the missions trigger, none of them are particularly critical, and it doesn't look like any Spreaders are involved. We're on a razor's edge of getting two, so when we finish the weapon upgrade en route to the first next up will be the warp engines. This is a 12 day upgrade and will finish en route to the second mission and might just clinch a double for us, but does exhaust our servitors.

Mission 18
    Heroic deed is to do the mission shorthanded. I respectfully decline.

Team will be Thawmus, CB557, EvmaAlsar, and Jazz.
    fuymtl50cs0x.jpg

Relatively straightforward mission: Kill two plants. In the three turn trek to the first plant, we don't even encounter a patrol. This is a good sign, right?
    mfmzsbpxz7mz.jpg

EvmaAlsar capitalizes on the good signs and gets first blood.
    3co167gkexme.jpg

Also second and third blood because he's being greedy.
    2426cjbhwxcp.jpg

CB557 takes out the last mook and all that's left is the plant itself and some weird tentacle tumor thing that I'm sure is nothing to worry about.
    u2jccyoc0arh.jpg

All that's left until, that is, a warp portal drops a random collection of poxwalkers and plague cultists behind us.
    3l5vpzuf6yd4.jpg

EvmaAlsar is in prime position to clean out most of the flankers.
    ucruszp3pvyz.jpg

And with an assist from Thawmus all is under control.
    ukxx3wex9br2.jpg

Jazz and CB557 take out Audry II.
    4or34q3faofp.jpg
    A warp surge hits, and now all enemy melee attacks reduce maximum HP by 1 for the next three turns. We'll have to avoid getting stabbed too much.

The divided team finishes off their respective foes.
    aacnscr7yzlz.jpg
    2aitfiuv5go6.jpg

And we get two motion alerts: A group immediately inside the door nearest Thawmus, and a second group likely in the alley behind that house.
    The first group includes a new enemy: Bug eyes here.
    10tocftr17ud.jpg

Jazz hates bugs with a burning WRATH
    cgivh065qr2k.jpg

This demolishes most of the enemy cover, and lets Thawmus sweep through two exposed cultists.
    zw1kbvhgcs5j.jpg

Bug eyes appears to be a Call of Duty protagonist, because bullets do nothing. This is how EvmaAlsar started his turn.
    z5xe33jxpyt3.jpg

And this is where its health bar was left after three psi-boosted attacks.
    7gbg6dad01ym.jpg
    Jazz drops his bleed on it hoping it'll die on its own.

This doesn't work, and the thing buffs itself with, "Auto-Resurrect, 100%." Which sounds bad enough for Thawmus to throw a grenade.
    aki24907f7c3.jpg

I'm hoping its entire body has to be in the same room to auto-resurrect, bug eyes is quite thoroughly gibbed.
    a4b3glcc2z6w.jpg

The group outside is 4 plague marines. They set up a pretty respectable defensive line, preventing CB557 and Thawmus from charging in, but not shooting in.
    n9w7hl513wgb.jpg

Once the overwatch is disrupted, there's nothing stopping them.
    zmwjgovdbewm.jpg

The last survivor starts retreating down the road.
    8ngjxs0khxy8.jpg

But there's no hiding from Thawmus and his hammer.
    cwcm7xjskoz2.jpg

The second plant has a sizeable guard, and Jazz makes all of them bleed.
    mfccnz59f8nv.jpg

A few careful bolter strikes thin out the most annoying enemies.
    sk5aq5ha1xod.jpg
    eeab57qqb37q.jpg

And CB557 is much less careful, charging in to grab seeds.
    8i7e6k2w1vnr.jpg

This... Was a bad idea. CB557 is in a bad situation after the enemy turn.
    o4cpli60hi51.jpg

Luckily for him, CB557 is not Mugsley, and I can play my I Win card with him still alive. Gate of Infinity snatches him out of the soup and drops the whole team behind the now undefended plant.
    i9gf28o41qxm.jpg

Everybody just beats the Emperor into the plant and we win.
    yviepj3rjyiu.jpg
    k0941hqpcjzq.jpg

We gain 3 requisition, 5 red seeds, a rank 2 bolter named Thrawn's Glory that will go to Thawmus because of the name overlap, and a rank 3 power armor named Kantu's Vambrace that confers +1 AP, which will be huge and is going to CB557 for his constant struggle to get into teleport strike range before his higher level teammates wipe out entire pulls.

CB557 is promoted to rank 4 and gets upgrades for teleport strike. EvmaAlsar is promoted to rank 5 and picks up Supporting Fire. Jazz is promoted to rank 5 and picks up upgrades for his heal power, which I forgot he learned so we need to get him a Chainsaw of Healing. For now he will receive Pixie's hand-me-down.

EvmaAlsar is wounded for 24 days, Thawmus for 36 days, and CB557 for a whopping 50 days. That damage to the apothecarion is really starting to suck.

New Thread for the New Thread God!

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    @Isorn is a classtastic classaholic, I spent the day out in San Francisco's Lego: Art of the Brick with the wife and kiddos, and came home to this! Cheers mate!

11ji2ph5pki8.png

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    @isorn, Thanks for Station Manager.
    A Kairosoft game I have not actually played.

I will make the best/worst train station in your name

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Paypal had our backs for a bit, but @Isorn... @Isorn finds a way

2UXQHIQ.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I never felt like I was playing a switch game with Rise on PC until I saw Teostra's fire effects.

Then it hit me pretty hard. They look awful.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Hey, I get it. I value the life of the average squaddie less than a can of meld.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    cB557 wrote: »
    Hey, I get it. I value the life of the average squaddie less than a can of meld.

Gate of Infinity is basically a do over for fuckups. As long as you have eyes on the objective you can just exit whatever situation you've brought down on yourself and end the mission before it comes back to haunt you. If this were Xcom you'd be five kinds of dead right now.

Hevach on
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Regional price differences are stopping me from gifting quite a bit today. Pain in the ass. Since when is Europe cheaper than the US in like 10% of the cases.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

Gate of Infinity is basically a do over for fuckups. As long as you have eyes on the objective you can just exit whatever situation you've brought down on yourself and end the mission before it comes back to haunt you. If this were Xcom you'd be five kinds of dead right now.

I hope you are yelling "To infinity ... and beyond!" at the computer screen every time you use it.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Also re: deciding what to buy, I do two things:

- sort by price. Anything under $5, probably buy, unless isthereanydeal says it's currently cheaper anywhere else
    - sort by percent. Anything 75% and lower, probably buy, unless istherenaydeal says it's ever been cheaper anywhere else.

Past that, it's more "what do I feel like?"

Turns out a lot of stuff always goes to 70% and never drops below $5 so some stuff has floated on my wishlist for over half a decade because the publishers can't imagine dropping steeper to try to stimulate sales for old games.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    q77r20j.png
    @Viking wants be to be trapped in a death MMO. Thanks
    Isorn wrote: »
    Regional price differences are stopping me from gifting quite a bit today. Pain in the ass. Since when is Europe cheaper than the US in like 10% of the cases.

My how the turntables table

EDIT:

And now I've been @Stabbity Styleed in the back

5cXhSJ5.png

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

I'd probably be dead in Enemy Unknown/Within, but in XCOM 2 that reminds me of the mimic beacon.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Thanks @Spoit for Stacklands! Looked like a neat little card based city builder :D

bhXCMgD.png

Gonna check it out :D

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    w5poltfmfmcz.png
    and now @Spoit gets in on the Gifting action.

Thank you

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular
    @Isorn did not appreciate having a gift denied.
    fmmkkmdmsrus.png
    Thanks for Erannorth Reborn! Also, Isorn the fact that the euroshield has been turned around on you brings me so much joy. You have to deal with all the shit that everyone gifting you in the past has had to deal with.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

What got me was how much of it was so redundant and never justified. Here's how to walk. Here's how to jog. Here's how to sprint. Here's how to slide. Here's how to mount. Here's how to dash mount. Okay, now that we've covered the six different basic ways to move, let's review the four different forms of dodge roll.

And then there's Berseria.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I keep opening my wishlist during sales, looking at the great prices of games I'm fully interested in, and then closing the wishlist because I already have legit hundreds of games to still try just sitting in my library as I try to juggle a dozen games being played already, and I'd just feel bad buying more games that I know I want but don't know when I'll get to play.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I keep opening my wishlist during sales, looking at the great prices of games I'm fully interested in, and then closing the wishlist because I already have legit hundreds of games to still try just sitting in my library as I try to juggle a dozen games being played already, and I'd just feel bad buying more games that I know I want but don't know when I'll get to play.

That's when you look at someone ELSE's wishlist...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    ArcTangent wrote: »

What got me was how much of it was so redundant and never justified. Here's how to walk. Here's how to jog. Here's how to sprint. Here's how to slide. Here's how to mount. Here's how to dash mount. Okay, now that we've covered the six different basic ways to move, let's review the four different forms of dodge roll.

And then there's Berseria.

One of the major criticisms people had of MonHun, especially World, was the onboarding and tutorializing process, i.e. not telling people directly what to do for even the most basic of movements. Even with the test dummy available for use that shows all the actions.

Then add that they were going with the Switch, which would have a lot of people that weren't really familiar with the games at all (and who would be considered "more casual" and would play it less in a setting).

jungleroomx on
This discussion has been closed.