Options

I Blame the [Steam] Thread

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    And CB557 is much less careful, charging in to grab seeds.
    This... Was a bad idea. CB557 is in a bad situation after the enemy turn.
    Hey, I get it. I value the life of the average squaddie less than a can of meld.

Gate of Infinity is basically a do over for fuckups. As long as you have eyes on the objective you can just exit whatever situation you've brought down on yourself and end the mission before it comes back to haunt you. If this were Xcom you'd be five kinds of dead right now.

I hope you are yelling "To infinity ... and beyond!" at the computer screen every time you use it.

Oh hell, I am from now on.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    There's this indie FPS game that I really like, and although its launch was kinda shaky its developed by a two person dev team who have day jobs, so its hard to be super critical about little bugs the same way you can be when you're dealing with a AAA game from a 500 person developer and a dedicated QA team or whatever. Its the kind of product you want to root for, because its the perfect example of the kind of game we would likely never be getting if it wasn't for the indie renaissance that we had a while back.

Anyway, they have been fixing bugs fairly steadily over time, which is good, but today the game had a big update that fixed a shitload of bugs and resolved a shitload of issues, which is great! As I'm going through the patch notes I'm thinking "Cool, I can finally recommend this game to the Steam thread without any extra caveats about bugs/jank", but then I get to this:

51lmaamwx43r.jpg

Fuck offfffffffff

I absolutely hate it when games give the player stupidly low ammo limits. The main character isn't a soldier by any means, its a random female scientist with little to no previous firearm experience, but if you're strong enough to run around while carrying a pistol and three long guns than by god you're strong enough to carry more than a single extra magazine's worth of ammo for each one.

It was even more ridiculous when Doom Eternal did it. Its not "balancing", its just forcing players to have to juggle between a bunch of different weapons for no reason instead of letting them use a weapon they prefer for the situation at hand. Your player's maximum ammo count for any individual weapon should never be less than the amount of ammo a reasonably skilled player would expend in a single combat encounter. Reward a player who intentionally refrains from using a powerful weapon so they can save up ammo for it and go on a rampage when they get to a difficult section. Reward a player who pays attention and explores when they find a secret area by letting them pick up the ammo you have left there for them, instead of them just finding a couple pickups that they can't actually pick up. Having to backtrack a dozen times in each level to grab ammo pickups because the devs decided you could only hold X rounds is not fun.

Thank you for reading my dumb soapbox rant, I hope you have a nice day.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    m7lwq5e60pmr.jpg

@Viking seems to be under the impression I could save people from nuclear disaster.
    I..am so sorry everyone.

Thanks Viking. <3<3

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    You know, i could get into the DE ammo limits debate and why it's a godo thing and the game design and shit... but fuck that. Suffice to say ammo limits actually serve purposes, and aren't just generically bad. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it bad game design!

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    There's this indie FPS game that I really like, and although its launch was kinda shaky its developed by a two person dev team who have day jobs, so its hard to be super critical about little bugs the same way you can be when you're dealing with a AAA game from a 500 person developer and a dedicated QA team or whatever. Its the kind of product you want to root for, because its the perfect example of the kind of game we would likely never be getting if it wasn't for the indie renaissance that we had a while back.

Anyway, they have been fixing bugs fairly steadily over time, which is good, but today the game had a big update that fixed a shitload of bugs and resolved a shitload of issues, which is great! As I'm going through the patch notes I'm thinking "Cool, I can finally recommend this game to the Steam thread without any extra caveats about bugs/jank", but then I get to this:

51lmaamwx43r.jpg

Fuck offfffffffff

I absolutely hate it when games give the player stupidly low ammo limits. The main character isn't a soldier by any means, its a random female scientist with little to no previous firearm experience, but if you're strong enough to run around while carrying a pistol and three long guns than by god you're strong enough to carry more than a single extra magazine's worth of ammo for each one.

It was even more ridiculous when Doom Eternal did it. Its not "balancing", its just forcing players to have to juggle between a bunch of different weapons for no reason instead of letting them use a weapon they prefer for the situation at hand. Your player's maximum ammo count for any individual weapon should never be less than the amount of ammo a reasonably skilled player would expend in a single combat encounter. Reward a player who intentionally refrains from using a powerful weapon so they can save up ammo for it and go on a rampage when they get to a difficult section. Reward a player who pays attention and explores when they find a secret area by letting them pick up the ammo you have left there for them, instead of them just finding a couple pickups that they can't actually pick up. Having to backtrack a dozen times in each level to grab ammo pickups because the devs decided you could only hold X rounds is not fun.

Thank you for reading my dumb soapbox rant, I hope you have a nice day.

Yep. Stupidly low ammo limits are one of the first things I will mod out of a game. I don't want to juggle between 3 different guns because I can only carry 3 clips for each instead of 9 clips for the one I actually like. In fact, it makes more sense to not even carry those other 2 guns and just load up on MOAR AMMO. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    You know, i could get into the DE ammo limits debate and why it's a godo thing and the game design and shit... but fuck that. Suffice to say ammo limits actually serve purposes, and aren't just generically bad. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it bad game design!

I don't think we're trying to say it's blanket bad game design. At least I'm not. What I would say is it's game design that feels bad to me, and any game that does it will get the eye from me because it's unfun, regardless of the design decisions that led to it.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Look, they spent time coding and modeling all of those guns, and it doesn't matter if they botched the balancing so that only one or two of them are worth a damn and the rest are junk, you're gonna use all of them, damnit.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Doom Eternal is one game I can forgive for its ammo limits because you can get ammo on demand as part of the combat loop. You aren't so much on an ammo budget as a finisher rotation.

That's not a common feature of games with low ammo limits. Far more often that limit is a source of artificial difficulty or a contrived progression barrier.

I can entertain arguments with regards to horror games where you're not supposed to kill all the enemies. I don't play those games so I won't speak an opinion on them.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Someone convince me to buy 40k: Inquisitor.

Tech priest is the class I'm most interested in but seems like you miss out on most of the base game's story if you roll one. :neutral:

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    p9u9y8m4gyla.png

Thanks for @Isorn I'm thinking this will be a great game to play on the deck

• Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Tech priest is the class I'm most interested in but seems like you miss out on most of the base game's story if you roll one. :neutral:

I haven't really played a tech priest(not big on summoners in my ARPGs) but Inquisitor Martyr in general is a lot of fun. Lots of weapon/enemy variety with very little downtime.

The Tech priest misses out of the base game story because he has his own, which is technically a prequel to the base game's.

Also the game is getting an expansion later this year that adds a Sister of Battle as a playable character, so that should be good fun.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

https://youtu.be/IEGo41443iI

Push the button

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    there I was, admiring my first successful city in Cities Skylines on Steam...(yay for learning city zoning)
    JnRhB4j.jpg
    when I suddenly realized I had been GIFTED BY A MONSTER!
    DcOXrFR.jpg
    Much thanks @Isorn for Iron Lung! It seems like a really neat indie horror sub game <3<3<3

Zavian on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    My June haul is:
    FF7 -now with meta commentary on fanfiction
    Redout 2
    Chorus
    TMNT: Shredder's Revenge
    Card Shark
    Nemesis Distress
    Nemesis Lockdown

And instead I end up logging 40 hours into Dune Spice Wars post multi-player update.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Doom Eternal is one game I can forgive for its ammo limits because you can get ammo on demand as part of the combat loop. You aren't so much on an ammo budget as a finisher rotation.

That's not a common feature of games with low ammo limits. Far more often that limit is a source of artificial difficulty or a contrived progression barrier.

I can entertain arguments with regards to horror games where you're not supposed to kill all the enemies. I don't play those games so I won't speak an opinion on them.

I played through Doom 2016 essentially maining the Shotgun and the Micro Missiles, with the Siege Mode Gauss Cannon being my "oh shit" button. I had a blast. Doom 2016 also has a rune trial that when upgraded (which you can do within 60 seconds of getting it) gives the player infinite ammo whenever they have more than 75 armor. Does this trivialize the rest of the game on most difficulties? Yeah, but its a player choice that is made in lieu of other upgrades. Conversely, you could play Doom 2016 and prioritize other praetor suit upgrades and never increase your maximum ammo capacity from the starting amounts - and play the entire game rapidly switching between weapons. The player is responsible for determining what point of the spectrum between the two that they want to be at. Doom Eternal's idea of "ammo balancing" is "make sure there is always a zombie or two walking around".

Horror games are obviously different, limited resources are designed to increase tension, but the game in question isn't a horror game, mechanically its a pretty straightforward shooter. It would be like playing Half Life 2 with extremely limited ammo throughout the entire game instead of just the Ravenholm section. Also, you have no gravity gun.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    @cncaudata, how about Tiny Tina's Wonderlands?

@Fiskebent, take a look at Wintermoor Tactics.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    @Isorn, Thank you very much for Icey.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    @Isorn, thank you for KeyWe! (It does, in fact, look adorable). And @Spoit. thank you for Backbone - I look forward to looking into whatever mystery a Racoon looks into. Possibly something with trash cans?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Thanks @Spoit for Stacklands! Looked like a neat little card based city builder :D

bhXCMgD.png

Gonna check it out :D

Spent about 5 hours playing it, to 100% it, though I wouldn't be surprised if the last half hour was just burning time until I hit 36 days for the last quest. Also spent way too much time trying to track down cards I was missing only to realize they were small simple things I could've gotten way sooner, like making a stew or building a mine or giving a wolf a bone or whatever.

iHhYnyo.png?1

Economy was pretty beef by the end of it.

Anyway, thanks again @Spoit , it was fun :D Not every day I get to both add something to and take something off the backlog.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    My June haul is:
    FF7 -now with meta commentary on fanfiction
    Redout 2
    Chorus
    TMNT: Shredder's Revenge
    Card Shark
    Nemesis Distress
    Nemesis Lockdown

And instead I end up logging 40 hours into Dune Spice Wars post multi-player update.

Oh hey can you give me the skinny on Spice Wars? It looks like that good old RTS jank excellence, with, obviously, a pretty pretty Dune lore wrapper. How’s it playing?

(Between tiny goblin child and getting into our home, we’re being a bit cautious with the impulse buys, and tbh I don’t have time to put into it unless it’s grabbing me right now!)

Also, I literally cannot find the third game of the Steam meta thing and it is unreasonably annoying to me.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    beautiful @Isorn did a beautiful thing <3
    aqcoiqd5t1mz.jpg

And @Interpreter as well. Both dangerous menaces to society and backlogs!
    06ubxrbr6zbq.jpg

Thanks folks =)

vamen on
  • Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Man Steam sales give me the biggest choice paralysis.

I've got all these games on my wishlist. 'I'll buy these when there's a good sale'.

Suddently they're all 50% off or more, and I have no idea what to buy.

The games on my wishlist (those that are already out, anyway) are the games where I'm like 'well, I guess I want these, but I don't want to pay full price for them'.

And then the sale comes along and then I'm stuck wondering if I actually want these games. Even for the reduced price.

Apparently my wishlist is more my ambivalent feelings list.

That's what I discovered about my own wishlist, this go-around.

So I purged it just now:
    If it was 33% off or better...
    If it was under five bucks...
    If it was a shmup, a genre from which I've likely picked all the plumpest, juiciest cherries...

And I didn't add it to cart? It was gone.

Then I removed anything I clearly added to scratch an itch, where another game has since found the spot.
    Then I removed anything that looked remotely destined to end up in my "Art Game Jail" folder.

All told, reducing it by more than two-thirds.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    @Isorn is relentless with his pursuit!
    TBaJsIT.png
    Thanks for Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit! I'm sure my won will play this right away!

And @Interpreter added a gift of cosmic proportions!
    sMzdCIw.png
    Thanks for Cosmic Star Heroine! I've heard plenty of good things about this game!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

The monstrous @RoyceSraphim gifted me a 2d ARPG called Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan along with the OST. What horror!
    Thanks a lot Royce, the game looks pretty awesome, I've got it downloading as I type this. Also, I just now noticed that your name isn't spelled RoyceSeraphim and it's throwing me for a loop. I've just always instinctively read it with the second E in there.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    I copied it from ffvi when i did not know what a seraphim was and before i got my angry 20s angst phase

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Thanks @Isorn for striking in my sleepy time with unmetal!
    ocsrhnux43m7.png

• Options
    I wish there were survival games closer to Spiritfarer or even My Time at Portia, with the gathering and base-building and food/water mechanics but also without the more "hardcore" constant worry of death. More of a "if you don't pay attention for a good long time, or are super-careless, then you'll die" dynamic than "everyone and thing is out to eat or kill you".

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I wish there were survival games closer to Spiritfarer or even My Time at Portia, with the gathering and base-building and food/water mechanics but also without the more "hardcore" constant worry of death. More of a "if you don't pay attention for a good long time, or are super-careless, then you'll die" dynamic than "everyone and thing is out to eat or kill you".
    Food and drink can't kill you in Fallout 76.

Pretty much everything else can though.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The trick, I think, is that those are less survival games and more Harvest Moons. You'll probably want to look to that subgenre instead.

• Options
    The trick, I think, is that those are less survival games and more Harvest Moons. You'll probably want to look to that subgenre instead.

This is true, but also not quite what I'm thinking of; I want a game with a more gentle nature to the survival mechanics. I'm watching some folks play Raft together and it's got a few things that make the survival or death mechanics less egregious, and it seems to be much more meditative and less "hardcore". Like, I can enjoy ARK with alternate settings going on, but it's not something my wife would be interested in playing. But a game where we tended crops, harvested from animals, and also had to eat and drink and fight critters? As long as it wasn't as egregious as most survival games, she'd be up for it.

More or less I want Open World Survival Crafting & Building meets the Harvest Moon/Farming & Crafting style of game.

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    @Interpreter got me!
    xfjyphyysvj6.jpg

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

This is true, but also not quite what I'm thinking of; I want a game with a more gentle nature to the survival mechanics. I'm watching some folks play Raft together and it's got a few things that make the survival or death mechanics less egregious, and it seems to be much more meditative and less "hardcore". Like, I can enjoy ARK with alternate settings going on, but it's not something my wife would be interested in playing. But a game where we tended crops, harvested from animals, and also had to eat and drink and fight critters? As long as it wasn't as egregious as most survival games, she'd be up for it.

More or less I want Open World Survival Crafting & Building meets the Harvest Moon/Farming & Crafting style of game.

Hmm, maybe slime rancher?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

I do have that one. I'll have to see how much of the actual mechanics I like are in it.

One thing I like about survival and crafting games is starting with basically your fists and going from there to tools to a small hut to a house to a whatever and learning how to make things and what to make them out of along the way. Some of the things I liked the best in ARK was tending to crops, feeding dinosaurs and checking for eggs, building massive stuff . . . I was less enthused about risking life, limb, and equipment when stepping outside my door, and the very heavy penalty for death in most survival crafting games of losing everything on you when you die shoots my anxiety up to 11, so like in Terraria when you can toggle not dropping items, only coins, that's at least a more acceptable loss to me. One of the other things I've liked seeing in these people playing Raft is their ability to drag a fellow player onto a bed and have them revive with a full inventory, so obviously there's other methods of loss mitigation in these various games.

No Man's Sky has a lot of the things I like to do at bases, but no real reason to do them now that I've maxed out my credits; it's not like growing anything gives me more materials to build, or like I need to keep my base up to be safe; it's very survival light. But if I could have the lighter danger of NMS (I think in all my time playing it I've only died like, 5 times) but more of the survival crafting aspects of working my way up a tech tree, I'd be enthused about such a game.

Bottom line I'd like to have a game where I start having to make basic tools and simple shelter and work my way up to like, advanced tools and castles or cement shelters or whatever, with enough of a PvE presence that I don't feel like it's a garden, but not so much that it's like a slaughterhouse. Which seems to be the two major settings. :neutral:

• Options
    I just got ufo summ9ning staff, and triggered an eclipse to get the black sphere summoning staff, so its about to be nonstop slaughter in terraria

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    @Interpreter struck overnight!

n6pagkvduz51.jpg

Thanks for Jane Jensen's Moebius: Empire Rising! Don't think I've seen this one, but it looks interesting, always up for a good story. Cheers! :heart:

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

I do have that one. I'll have to see how much of the actual mechanics I like are in it.

One thing I like about survival and crafting games is starting with basically your fists and going from there to tools to a small hut to a house to a whatever and learning how to make things and what to make them out of along the way. Some of the things I liked the best in ARK was tending to crops, feeding dinosaurs and checking for eggs, building massive stuff . . . I was less enthused about risking life, limb, and equipment when stepping outside my door, and the very heavy penalty for death in most survival crafting games of losing everything on you when you die shoots my anxiety up to 11, so like in Terraria when you can toggle not dropping items, only coins, that's at least a more acceptable loss to me. One of the other things I've liked seeing in these people playing Raft is their ability to drag a fellow player onto a bed and have them revive with a full inventory, so obviously there's other methods of loss mitigation in these various games.

No Man's Sky has a lot of the things I like to do at bases, but no real reason to do them now that I've maxed out my credits; it's not like growing anything gives me more materials to build, or like I need to keep my base up to be safe; it's very survival light. But if I could have the lighter danger of NMS (I think in all my time playing it I've only died like, 5 times) but more of the survival crafting aspects of working my way up a tech tree, I'd be enthused about such a game.

Bottom line I'd like to have a game where I start having to make basic tools and simple shelter and work my way up to like, advanced tools and castles or cement shelters or whatever, with enough of a PvE presence that I don't feel like it's a garden, but not so much that it's like a slaughterhouse. Which seems to be the two major settings. :neutral:

Have you tried Medieval Dynasty? It's in Game Pass if you have that.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular
    I was gifted in my sleep.
    i19mppw5g6am.png
    qabvutvepf10.png
    Thanks to @Questor for Vampire's Fall: Origins and @Talus9952 for Sword of the Necromancer!

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    @cncaudata, how about Tiny Tina's Wonderlands?

Fiskebent, take a look at Wintermoor Tactics.

I probably should... but it's only 20% off yet. I thought I heard some bad things after folks actually got into it, but maybe I'm misremembering BL3 stuff. I will ask the folks I know that got it.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Speaking of Tiny Tina's Wonderlands... It has a character creator. Woo!

You know what that means.

That means I share screenshots! :lol:

It's not the best creator, but for what the game is, it's more than I expected. And hey, at least they didn't step backwards in visual quality like other nameless games....... /shots fired/

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
This discussion has been closed.