Options

I Blame the [Steam] Thread

145791099

Posts

  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    @cncaudata, how about Tiny Tina's Wonderlands?

    Fiskebent, take a look at Wintermoor Tactics.

    I probably should... but it's only 20% off yet. I thought I heard some bad things after folks actually got into it, but maybe I'm misremembering BL3 stuff. I will ask the folks I know that got it.

    30% off at GMG, but yeah. Game is only, what, three months old at this point.

    It is good fun and has coop, loot and character builds to tinker with. But I could definitely see not wanting to throw down $40 for it.

    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Drovek wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I wish there were survival games closer to Spiritfarer or even My Time at Portia, with the gathering and base-building and food/water mechanics but also without the more "hardcore" constant worry of death. More of a "if you don't pay attention for a good long time, or are super-careless, then you'll die" dynamic than "everyone and thing is out to eat or kill you".
    The trick, I think, is that those are less survival games and more Harvest Moons. You'll probably want to look to that subgenre instead.

    This is true, but also not quite what I'm thinking of; I want a game with a more gentle nature to the survival mechanics. I'm watching some folks play Raft together and it's got a few things that make the survival or death mechanics less egregious, and it seems to be much more meditative and less "hardcore". Like, I can enjoy ARK with alternate settings going on, but it's not something my wife would be interested in playing. But a game where we tended crops, harvested from animals, and also had to eat and drink and fight critters? As long as it wasn't as egregious as most survival games, she'd be up for it.

    More or less I want Open World Survival Crafting & Building meets the Harvest Moon/Farming & Crafting style of game.

    Hmm, maybe slime rancher?

    I do have that one. I'll have to see how much of the actual mechanics I like are in it.

    One thing I like about survival and crafting games is starting with basically your fists and going from there to tools to a small hut to a house to a whatever and learning how to make things and what to make them out of along the way. Some of the things I liked the best in ARK was tending to crops, feeding dinosaurs and checking for eggs, building massive stuff . . . I was less enthused about risking life, limb, and equipment when stepping outside my door, and the very heavy penalty for death in most survival crafting games of losing everything on you when you die shoots my anxiety up to 11, so like in Terraria when you can toggle not dropping items, only coins, that's at least a more acceptable loss to me. One of the other things I've liked seeing in these people playing Raft is their ability to drag a fellow player onto a bed and have them revive with a full inventory, so obviously there's other methods of loss mitigation in these various games.

    No Man's Sky has a lot of the things I like to do at bases, but no real reason to do them now that I've maxed out my credits; it's not like growing anything gives me more materials to build, or like I need to keep my base up to be safe; it's very survival light. But if I could have the lighter danger of NMS (I think in all my time playing it I've only died like, 5 times) but more of the survival crafting aspects of working my way up a tech tree, I'd be enthused about such a game.

    Bottom line I'd like to have a game where I start having to make basic tools and simple shelter and work my way up to like, advanced tools and castles or cement shelters or whatever, with enough of a PvE presence that I don't feel like it's a garden, but not so much that it's like a slaughterhouse. Which seems to be the two major settings. :neutral:

    Have you tried Medieval Dynasty? It's in Game Pass if you have that.

    I don't have Game Pass, but that actually does look pretty solid and I like seeing that folks call it a "slow burn". I'm certainly interested. It'd be an instant sale if it also contained fantasy stuff, but as it stands it doesn't look as harsh and unforgiving as other ones.

    Edit: Ooh, and it's got NPCs so no worries about having a lone survivor who has no one to back them up.

    Edit again: and it's published by the same people who published Starsand, which I liked the demo of.

    Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    it wasn't quite as hot today, so I got some gamin' in, continued Tunic!
    I think I'm gonna drop the idea of translating the fox language (for now) and just roll with it. I now have the red and green...things! Medallions? Probably. I think I'm on my way to the third.

    I still enjoy the game very much! The forest music kind of reminded of the Chrono Trigger soundtrack, which is a plus as well

    el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    @Talus9952, Thank you for Pendula Swing - The Complete Journey.

  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Jazz wrote: »
    @Interpreter struck overnight!

    n6pagkvduz51.jpg

    Thanks for Jane Jensen's Moebius: Empire Rising! Don't think I've seen this one, but it looks interesting, always up for a good story. Cheers! :heart:
    Its Moebin time?

    ...I'm so sorry. I'll go now.

    Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    You know, i could get into the DE ammo limits debate and why it's a godo thing and the game design and shit... but fuck that. Suffice to say ammo limits actually serve purposes, and aren't just generically bad. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it bad game design!

    Doom Eternal is one game I can forgive for its ammo limits because you can get ammo on demand as part of the combat loop. You aren't so much on an ammo budget as a finisher rotation.

    That's not a common feature of games with low ammo limits. Far more often that limit is a source of artificial difficulty or a contrived progression barrier.

    I can entertain arguments with regards to horror games where you're not supposed to kill all the enemies. I don't play those games so I won't speak an opinion on them.

    I'm playing through old-school DOOM 1 and I forgot how easy it is to chew through ammo at higher difficulties, especially when you walk into a monster closet and are firing in every direction trying to dodge cacodemon fireballs because those fuckers hurt.

    There have been times where the only thing I have left are.my fists and a few shotgun shells.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    @Karoz wants me to be a vampire and murderize some puny humans. @Interpreter gifted Stellaris DLC so I can be a fish in space. Thanks a lot both of you. <3<3
    t040vbubzpo0.jpg
    vinks8mbz9ph.jpg

  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    WTF I go to work and the new thread is already 7 pages deep.

    I'm assuming there was much class.

    6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    WTF I go to work and the new thread is already 7 pages deep.

    I'm assuming there was much class.

    You know this lot. Bunch of classholes. :lol:

  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I wish there were survival games closer to Spiritfarer or even My Time at Portia, with the gathering and base-building and food/water mechanics but also without the more "hardcore" constant worry of death. More of a "if you don't pay attention for a good long time, or are super-careless, then you'll die" dynamic than "everyone and thing is out to eat or kill you".
    The trick, I think, is that those are less survival games and more Harvest Moons. You'll probably want to look to that subgenre instead.

    This is true, but also not quite what I'm thinking of; I want a game with a more gentle nature to the survival mechanics. I'm watching some folks play Raft together and it's got a few things that make the survival or death mechanics less egregious, and it seems to be much more meditative and less "hardcore". Like, I can enjoy ARK with alternate settings going on, but it's not something my wife would be interested in playing. But a game where we tended crops, harvested from animals, and also had to eat and drink and fight critters? As long as it wasn't as egregious as most survival games, she'd be up for it.

    More or less I want Open World Survival Crafting & Building meets the Harvest Moon/Farming & Crafting style of game.

    Hmm, maybe slime rancher?

    I do have that one. I'll have to see how much of the actual mechanics I like are in it.

    One thing I like about survival and crafting games is starting with basically your fists and going from there to tools to a small hut to a house to a whatever and learning how to make things and what to make them out of along the way. Some of the things I liked the best in ARK was tending to crops, feeding dinosaurs and checking for eggs, building massive stuff . . . I was less enthused about risking life, limb, and equipment when stepping outside my door, and the very heavy penalty for death in most survival crafting games of losing everything on you when you die shoots my anxiety up to 11, so like in Terraria when you can toggle not dropping items, only coins, that's at least a more acceptable loss to me. One of the other things I've liked seeing in these people playing Raft is their ability to drag a fellow player onto a bed and have them revive with a full inventory, so obviously there's other methods of loss mitigation in these various games.

    No Man's Sky has a lot of the things I like to do at bases, but no real reason to do them now that I've maxed out my credits; it's not like growing anything gives me more materials to build, or like I need to keep my base up to be safe; it's very survival light. But if I could have the lighter danger of NMS (I think in all my time playing it I've only died like, 5 times) but more of the survival crafting aspects of working my way up a tech tree, I'd be enthused about such a game.

    Bottom line I'd like to have a game where I start having to make basic tools and simple shelter and work my way up to like, advanced tools and castles or cement shelters or whatever, with enough of a PvE presence that I don't feel like it's a garden, but not so much that it's like a slaughterhouse. Which seems to be the two major settings. :neutral:

    Have you tried Medieval Dynasty? It's in Game Pass if you have that.

    I don't have Game Pass, but that actually does look pretty solid and I like seeing that folks call it a "slow burn". I'm certainly interested. It'd be an instant sale if it also contained fantasy stuff, but as it stands it doesn't look as harsh and unforgiving as other ones.

    Edit: Ooh, and it's got NPCs so no worries about having a lone survivor who has no one to back them up.

    Edit again: and it's published by the same people who published Starsand, which I liked the demo of.

    Yeah, it's on the realistic side of Medieval stuff. It transitions neatly from "just survive after escaping from a war" (making tools, building an initial home, getting food and warmth for winter) to that plus RPG/Management sim where you build your village by constructing new buildings and assigning jobs around. Hunting can be dangerous, winters can get really bad if you don't plan ahead.

    I played it for 30+ hours in Game Pass and I didn't even reach the end of the main questline nor of my first life (you "become" your heir after death.)

    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I wish there were survival games closer to Spiritfarer or even My Time at Portia, with the gathering and base-building and food/water mechanics but also without the more "hardcore" constant worry of death. More of a "if you don't pay attention for a good long time, or are super-careless, then you'll die" dynamic than "everyone and thing is out to eat or kill you".
    Food and drink can't kill you in Fallout 76.

    Pretty much everything else can though.

    Wow. Meanwhile, we get Kitchen Nightmares and the nightmare fuel that is Brew.

    The apocalypse would seem to have done wonders for food safety.

    Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I wish there were survival games closer to Spiritfarer or even My Time at Portia, with the gathering and base-building and food/water mechanics but also without the more "hardcore" constant worry of death. More of a "if you don't pay attention for a good long time, or are super-careless, then you'll die" dynamic than "everyone and thing is out to eat or kill you".
    Food and drink can't kill you in Fallout 76.

    Pretty much everything else can though.

    Wow. Meanwhile, we get Kitchen Nightmares and the nightmare fuel that is Brew.

    The apocalypse would seem to have done wonders for food safety.

    It’s all the radiation, kills the harmful bacteria.

    Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »

    This sneaky SOB has our bday right in our name nicknames?!

  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    This sneaky SOB has our bday right in our name nicknames?!

    I would forget my own if I did not write it down somewhere.
    using the nickname feature to do so has been useful

    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I have also classily been gifted with MOEBIUS: EMPIRE RISING by @Interpreter. Many thanks for a game I wouldn't have otherwise known even know existed.

    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Yeah, it's on the realistic side of Medieval stuff. It transitions neatly from "just survive after escaping from a war" (making tools, building an initial home, getting food and warmth for winter) to that plus RPG/Management sim where you build your village by constructing new buildings and assigning jobs around. Hunting can be dangerous, winters can get really bad if you don't plan ahead.

    I played it for 30+ hours in Game Pass and I didn't even reach the end of the main questline nor of my first life (you "become" your heir after death.)

    That sounds incredibly ideal. I'll have to look at it more when I get back.

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I feel sadness looking at all this payday DLC. I enjoyed the original but fell flat on the sequel.

    Oh, if you go into Steamdb, log in, you can sort by DLC for owned games.

    Problem is I dunno how to filter it further, so I'm stuck with all the DLC for payday, borderlands, the official genesis emulator from sega, etc.

    Took a lot of scrolling but I think I am happy.

    Also rebought brigador because I can actually run it.

  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    So I take it Dragon's Dogma isn't the best PC port, is it?

    Getting some weird bugs and performance is kind off. Also can barely hear anything even with the volume cranked up.

    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I wish there were survival games closer to Spiritfarer or even My Time at Portia, with the gathering and base-building and food/water mechanics but also without the more "hardcore" constant worry of death. More of a "if you don't pay attention for a good long time, or are super-careless, then you'll die" dynamic than "everyone and thing is out to eat or kill you".
    The trick, I think, is that those are less survival games and more Harvest Moons. You'll probably want to look to that subgenre instead.

    This is true, but also not quite what I'm thinking of; I want a game with a more gentle nature to the survival mechanics. I'm watching some folks play Raft together and it's got a few things that make the survival or death mechanics less egregious, and it seems to be much more meditative and less "hardcore". Like, I can enjoy ARK with alternate settings going on, but it's not something my wife would be interested in playing. But a game where we tended crops, harvested from animals, and also had to eat and drink and fight critters? As long as it wasn't as egregious as most survival games, she'd be up for it.

    More or less I want Open World Survival Crafting & Building meets the Harvest Moon/Farming & Crafting style of game.

    Hmm, maybe slime rancher?

    I do have that one. I'll have to see how much of the actual mechanics I like are in it.

    One thing I like about survival and crafting games is starting with basically your fists and going from there to tools to a small hut to a house to a whatever and learning how to make things and what to make them out of along the way. Some of the things I liked the best in ARK was tending to crops, feeding dinosaurs and checking for eggs, building massive stuff . . . I was less enthused about risking life, limb, and equipment when stepping outside my door, and the very heavy penalty for death in most survival crafting games of losing everything on you when you die shoots my anxiety up to 11, so like in Terraria when you can toggle not dropping items, only coins, that's at least a more acceptable loss to me. One of the other things I've liked seeing in these people playing Raft is their ability to drag a fellow player onto a bed and have them revive with a full inventory, so obviously there's other methods of loss mitigation in these various games.

    No Man's Sky has a lot of the things I like to do at bases, but no real reason to do them now that I've maxed out my credits; it's not like growing anything gives me more materials to build, or like I need to keep my base up to be safe; it's very survival light. But if I could have the lighter danger of NMS (I think in all my time playing it I've only died like, 5 times) but more of the survival crafting aspects of working my way up a tech tree, I'd be enthused about such a game.

    Bottom line I'd like to have a game where I start having to make basic tools and simple shelter and work my way up to like, advanced tools and castles or cement shelters or whatever, with enough of a PvE presence that I don't feel like it's a garden, but not so much that it's like a slaughterhouse. Which seems to be the two major settings. :neutral:

    Have you tried Subnautica? You can die but it's usually because you ran out of air. It's not really focused on combat so much although there are critters that can be aggressive. It's more about exploration and there's blueprints/tech to unlock, you can grow stuff and set up fish farms and use the materials gathered from those for crafting, and there's an option to turn off the need for food/water when starting a new game. It's pretty chill for a survival game.

    Poketpixie on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    So I take it Dragon's Dogma isn't the best PC port, is it?

    Getting some weird bugs and performance is kind off. Also can barely hear anything even with the volume cranked up.

    I never had those issues. Not sure if I'm lucky or you're unlucky.

    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I wish there were survival games closer to Spiritfarer or even My Time at Portia, with the gathering and base-building and food/water mechanics but also without the more "hardcore" constant worry of death. More of a "if you don't pay attention for a good long time, or are super-careless, then you'll die" dynamic than "everyone and thing is out to eat or kill you".
    The trick, I think, is that those are less survival games and more Harvest Moons. You'll probably want to look to that subgenre instead.

    This is true, but also not quite what I'm thinking of; I want a game with a more gentle nature to the survival mechanics. I'm watching some folks play Raft together and it's got a few things that make the survival or death mechanics less egregious, and it seems to be much more meditative and less "hardcore". Like, I can enjoy ARK with alternate settings going on, but it's not something my wife would be interested in playing. But a game where we tended crops, harvested from animals, and also had to eat and drink and fight critters? As long as it wasn't as egregious as most survival games, she'd be up for it.

    More or less I want Open World Survival Crafting & Building meets the Harvest Moon/Farming & Crafting style of game.

    Hmm, maybe slime rancher?

    I do have that one. I'll have to see how much of the actual mechanics I like are in it.

    One thing I like about survival and crafting games is starting with basically your fists and going from there to tools to a small hut to a house to a whatever and learning how to make things and what to make them out of along the way. Some of the things I liked the best in ARK was tending to crops, feeding dinosaurs and checking for eggs, building massive stuff . . . I was less enthused about risking life, limb, and equipment when stepping outside my door, and the very heavy penalty for death in most survival crafting games of losing everything on you when you die shoots my anxiety up to 11, so like in Terraria when you can toggle not dropping items, only coins, that's at least a more acceptable loss to me. One of the other things I've liked seeing in these people playing Raft is their ability to drag a fellow player onto a bed and have them revive with a full inventory, so obviously there's other methods of loss mitigation in these various games.

    No Man's Sky has a lot of the things I like to do at bases, but no real reason to do them now that I've maxed out my credits; it's not like growing anything gives me more materials to build, or like I need to keep my base up to be safe; it's very survival light. But if I could have the lighter danger of NMS (I think in all my time playing it I've only died like, 5 times) but more of the survival crafting aspects of working my way up a tech tree, I'd be enthused about such a game.

    Bottom line I'd like to have a game where I start having to make basic tools and simple shelter and work my way up to like, advanced tools and castles or cement shelters or whatever, with enough of a PvE presence that I don't feel like it's a garden, but not so much that it's like a slaughterhouse. Which seems to be the two major settings. :neutral:

    Have you tried Subnautica? You can die but it's usually because you dove too deep and ran out of oxygen. It's not really focused on combat so much although there are critters that can be aggressive. It's more about exploration and there's blueprints/tech to unlock, you can grow stuff and set up fish farms and use the materials gathered from those for crafting, and there's an option to turn off the need for food/water when starting a new game. It's pretty chill for a survival game.

    Another vote for Subnautica. As long as you remember the real enemy is the ocean itself you'll probably never die. The sequel is pretty good too, but I think 1 had better feeling in the end of "Fuck you planet, I win!".

  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I think I just assumed Subnautica had already been mentioned.

  • Options
    tosoraktosorak Registered User regular
    Strong 2nd recommendation on Subnautica, it's the only crafting/ survival type game I've finished. For me it helped having a good main storyline that gave direction to the survival and crafting.

    I personally liked the food/air/power survival settings turned on. Early on you can only hold your breath for 30 seconds underwater, but you'll soon get options on way to extend it or make it a non-issue. But for it to be a non-issue you need to plan and prepare for your various adventures away from your base(s). Several times found me racing to get back to home base or a resupply base, but that was all on me - the game gives you plenty of resources that you can go slow and steady if you wish, it's up to you how risky you want to be.

  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Have you tried Subnautica? You can die but it's usually because you ran out of air. It's not really focused on combat so much although there are critters that can be aggressive. It's more about exploration and there's blueprints/tech to unlock, you can grow stuff and set up fish farms and use the materials gathered from those for crafting, and there's an option to turn off the need for food/water when starting a new game. It's pretty chill for a survival game.
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Another vote for Subnautica. As long as you remember the real enemy is the ocean itself you'll probably never die. The sequel is pretty good too, but I think 1 had better feeling in the end of "Fuck you planet, I win!".
    tosorak wrote: »
    Strong 2nd recommendation on Subnautica, it's the only crafting/ survival type game I've finished. For me it helped having a good main storyline that gave direction to the survival and crafting.

    I personally liked the food/air/power survival settings turned on. Early on you can only hold your breath for 30 seconds underwater, but you'll soon get options on way to extend it or make it a non-issue. But for it to be a non-issue you need to plan and prepare for your various adventures away from your base(s). Several times found me racing to get back to home base or a resupply base, but that was all on me - the game gives you plenty of resources that you can go slow and steady if you wish, it's up to you how risky you want to be.

    I have thalassophobia. :grimace:

    I even tried it, surface wasn't too bad, anywhere deeper made me so agitated I would begin shaking, and I still made it all the way to where you find this research place that tells you you have to go even deeper and into these monster infested tunnels, and that was when I finally just hopped in my sub, went back to my primary base on the water's surface, turned the game off, and uninstalled it. The very thought of going even deeper gave me really not-good chest pains.
    I think I just assumed Subnautica had already been mentioned.

    Whenever I talk about this desire I get it suggested and then have to remind folks I have a very bad fear of deep water. Like, in the way that I can't watch Finding Nemo without having to look away from the screen multiple times while watching it. It's bad.

    Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I am power enough to survive halloween event, but not defeat it

    Break for a week while i figure out where to go from here.

  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Have you tried Subnautica? You can die but it's usually because you ran out of air. It's not really focused on combat so much although there are critters that can be aggressive. It's more about exploration and there's blueprints/tech to unlock, you can grow stuff and set up fish farms and use the materials gathered from those for crafting, and there's an option to turn off the need for food/water when starting a new game. It's pretty chill for a survival game.
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Another vote for Subnautica. As long as you remember the real enemy is the ocean itself you'll probably never die. The sequel is pretty good too, but I think 1 had better feeling in the end of "Fuck you planet, I win!".
    tosorak wrote: »
    Strong 2nd recommendation on Subnautica, it's the only crafting/ survival type game I've finished. For me it helped having a good main storyline that gave direction to the survival and crafting.

    I personally liked the food/air/power survival settings turned on. Early on you can only hold your breath for 30 seconds underwater, but you'll soon get options on way to extend it or make it a non-issue. But for it to be a non-issue you need to plan and prepare for your various adventures away from your base(s). Several times found me racing to get back to home base or a resupply base, but that was all on me - the game gives you plenty of resources that you can go slow and steady if you wish, it's up to you how risky you want to be.

    I have thalassophobia. :grimace:

    I even tried it, surface wasn't too bad, anywhere deeper made me so agitated I would begin shaking, and I still made it all the way to where you find this research place that tells you you have to go even deeper and into these monster infested tunnels, and that was when I finally just hopped in my sub, went back to my primary base on the water's surface, turned the game off, and uninstalled it. The very thought of going even deeper gave me really not-good chest pains.
    I think I just assumed Subnautica had already been mentioned.

    Whenever I talk about this desire I get it suggested and then have to remind folks I have a very bad fear of deep water. Like, in the way that I can't watch Finding Nemo without having to look away from the screen multiple times while watching it. It's bad.

    What about something like Planet Crafter? There's a demo/prologue you can try for free on Steam.

    Wasn't sure if that one had been mentioned yet.

    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    Despite my absence from the steam thread and chat for like a year and some change (was busy restructuring my life, moving, and getting on disability), Karoz hit me up with a surprise gift:

    0njvwAI.png

    Thank you, @Karoz

  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I have thalassophobia. :grimace:

    I even tried it, surface wasn't too bad, anywhere deeper made me so agitated I would begin shaking, and I still made it all the way to where you find this research place that tells you you have to go even deeper and into these monster infested tunnels, and that was when I finally just hopped in my sub, went back to my primary base on the water's surface, turned the game off, and uninstalled it. The very thought of going even deeper gave me really not-good chest pains.
    I think I just assumed Subnautica had already been mentioned.

    Whenever I talk about this desire I get it suggested and then have to remind folks I have a very bad fear of deep water. Like, in the way that I can't watch Finding Nemo without having to look away from the screen multiple times while watching it. It's bad.

    Yeah that pretty much makes that game a non starter.

    So, recommendations from my wishlist that might interest you: There's Breathedge which has been described as Subnautica in space. Mewnbase is a 2D pixel based survival game. Cute, somewhat short as it's being developed by one person but I hear it's relaxing and it seems to get regular updates. My Time at Sandrock is made by the My Time at Portia people if you're not aware of it. There's one called Honeycomb that looks interesting. Garden Paws is a cute little farming/crafting sim. Moonglow Bay is another one but it has mixed reviews.

    Poketpixie on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Been a bit of a weekend for me. Got these yesterday but only just managed to get to my computer for proper posting today.

    Thank you @cardboard delusions for Needy Streamers Overload! And thank you @Isorn for Heroine Anthem Zero 2!

    9eh27Wg.png

    CBnPTKD.png

  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    @Karoz struck me from the shadows!
    vUHRXs8.png
    Thank you Karoz for Dishonored: Death of the Outsider! I have enjoyed the Dishonored series, and I'm really looking forward to playing this soon!

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    @Karoz continues to be classy, so thank you for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.

  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Have you tried Subnautica? You can die but it's usually because you ran out of air. It's not really focused on combat so much although there are critters that can be aggressive. It's more about exploration and there's blueprints/tech to unlock, you can grow stuff and set up fish farms and use the materials gathered from those for crafting, and there's an option to turn off the need for food/water when starting a new game. It's pretty chill for a survival game.
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Another vote for Subnautica. As long as you remember the real enemy is the ocean itself you'll probably never die. The sequel is pretty good too, but I think 1 had better feeling in the end of "Fuck you planet, I win!".
    tosorak wrote: »
    Strong 2nd recommendation on Subnautica, it's the only crafting/ survival type game I've finished. For me it helped having a good main storyline that gave direction to the survival and crafting.

    I personally liked the food/air/power survival settings turned on. Early on you can only hold your breath for 30 seconds underwater, but you'll soon get options on way to extend it or make it a non-issue. But for it to be a non-issue you need to plan and prepare for your various adventures away from your base(s). Several times found me racing to get back to home base or a resupply base, but that was all on me - the game gives you plenty of resources that you can go slow and steady if you wish, it's up to you how risky you want to be.

    I have thalassophobia. :grimace:

    I even tried it, surface wasn't too bad, anywhere deeper made me so agitated I would begin shaking, and I still made it all the way to where you find this research place that tells you you have to go even deeper and into these monster infested tunnels, and that was when I finally just hopped in my sub, went back to my primary base on the water's surface, turned the game off, and uninstalled it. The very thought of going even deeper gave me really not-good chest pains.
    I think I just assumed Subnautica had already been mentioned.

    Whenever I talk about this desire I get it suggested and then have to remind folks I have a very bad fear of deep water. Like, in the way that I can't watch Finding Nemo without having to look away from the screen multiple times while watching it. It's bad.

    No Man's Sky? Opposite of deep water!

  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Have you tried Subnautica? You can die but it's usually because you ran out of air. It's not really focused on combat so much although there are critters that can be aggressive. It's more about exploration and there's blueprints/tech to unlock, you can grow stuff and set up fish farms and use the materials gathered from those for crafting, and there's an option to turn off the need for food/water when starting a new game. It's pretty chill for a survival game.
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Another vote for Subnautica. As long as you remember the real enemy is the ocean itself you'll probably never die. The sequel is pretty good too, but I think 1 had better feeling in the end of "Fuck you planet, I win!".
    tosorak wrote: »
    Strong 2nd recommendation on Subnautica, it's the only crafting/ survival type game I've finished. For me it helped having a good main storyline that gave direction to the survival and crafting.

    I personally liked the food/air/power survival settings turned on. Early on you can only hold your breath for 30 seconds underwater, but you'll soon get options on way to extend it or make it a non-issue. But for it to be a non-issue you need to plan and prepare for your various adventures away from your base(s). Several times found me racing to get back to home base or a resupply base, but that was all on me - the game gives you plenty of resources that you can go slow and steady if you wish, it's up to you how risky you want to be.

    I have thalassophobia. :grimace:

    I even tried it, surface wasn't too bad, anywhere deeper made me so agitated I would begin shaking, and I still made it all the way to where you find this research place that tells you you have to go even deeper and into these monster infested tunnels, and that was when I finally just hopped in my sub, went back to my primary base on the water's surface, turned the game off, and uninstalled it. The very thought of going even deeper gave me really not-good chest pains.
    I think I just assumed Subnautica had already been mentioned.

    Whenever I talk about this desire I get it suggested and then have to remind folks I have a very bad fear of deep water. Like, in the way that I can't watch Finding Nemo without having to look away from the screen multiple times while watching it. It's bad.

    No Man's Sky? Opposite of deep water!

    Already played it for many many hours, and it's not quite what I'm looking for, though it is a lot of fun in its own right.

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    What about something like Planet Crafter? There's a demo/prologue you can try for free on Steam.

    Wasn't sure if that one had been mentioned yet.

    Have you tried Dragon Quest Builders 2? Lots of crafting and stuff in that. Nothing too intense.

  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is sea of thieves always PvP active? I feel like I'm missing out on a fuck ton of content because I spend so much time avoiding other players.

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Still my favorite tutorial message:

    (Wasteland 3)
    yEzazex.jpg

    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    What about something like Planet Crafter? There's a demo/prologue you can try for free on Steam.

    Wasn't sure if that one had been mentioned yet.

    Have you tried Dragon Quest Builders 2? Lots of crafting and stuff in that. Nothing too intense.

    I have finished that one, on the Switch. Lots of good fun.

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »
    What about something like Planet Crafter? There's a demo/prologue you can try for free on Steam.

    Wasn't sure if that one had been mentioned yet.

    Have you tried Dragon Quest Builders 2? Lots of crafting and stuff in that. Nothing too intense.

    I have finished that one, on the Switch. Lots of good fun.
    Both 1 and 2 are magical, magical games.

    I would do unspeakable things for a third one.

    Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »
    What about something like Planet Crafter? There's a demo/prologue you can try for free on Steam.

    Wasn't sure if that one had been mentioned yet.

    Have you tried Dragon Quest Builders 2? Lots of crafting and stuff in that. Nothing too intense.

    I have finished that one, on the Switch. Lots of good fun.
    Both 1 and 2 are magical, magical games.

    I would do unspeakable things for a third one.

    I'm just going to hope they make a third one. I'm less interested in going back and playing the first one, as from what I've read the second one had a lot of innovations that I'd just constantly miss if I tried playing the first one. Which is fine, I'm much more interested in waiting to see if they make a third. They apparently both sold like gangbusters, so I don't doubt that it's at least in the proposal idea queue, as it were.

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
This discussion has been closed.