As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game Collection Sites

LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
So a friend of mine started compiling their game collection using the Club IGN listing feature, and it lead me to want to do the same. I'd tried once before with 1up, but their listings were woefully inadequate for my collection, and I hung it up.

I started again the other day, and entering something like "Mega Man" in a search brings back plenty of entries, of course. But the problem I've run into is that when I check multiple games and try to add them, it just brings me to this page:

http://search.ign.com/jsframe.html

Only for me, it's entirely blank, in Firefox and Internet Explorer both.

Does anyone know how to get around this problem?

And while I'm at it, is there a better system out there to use? Y'know, before I get started on this one, and find out it's not as good as I had hoped? The inclusion of DVDs has some appeal here as well.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
LBD_Nytetrayn on

• NicholololasNicholololas Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I rely on Eurogamer's system. It's still fresh and therefore not perfect, but it's getting there. Besides, IGN sucks shit.

Nicholololas on
    Workin' on leavin' the livin'.
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I use IGN, but their search is sucky. and yes, 1Up is even worse. Slow as molasses flash thingy.

I'm gonna try Eurogamer, then.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Can Eurogamer give an American value of the collections, though?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I use IGN's collection system, although it used to be a lot better IMO. Before the redesign it had everything sorted by console which looked nicer and was easier to find things.

I also agree that their search function is shitty, but that's not just for the collection but for their entire site.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    IGN was easily the bets I've used, but then they changed the layout to be all flashy and I started getting the same error you did.

SirUltimos on
    edited June 2007
    skeldare wrote: »
    I use IGN's collection system, although it used to be a lot better IMO. Before the redesign it had everything sorted by console which looked nicer and was easier to find things.

I also agree that their search function is shitty, but that's not just for the collection but for their entire site.

You can sort your collection by platform, just click on the 'platform' header :)

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    IGN was easily the bets I've used, but then they changed the layout to be all flashy and I started getting the same error you did.

Damn, no way around it, huh?

God, can no one do it right?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    edited June 2007

You can sort your collection by platform, just click on the 'platform' header :)
    Well, I ment one that showed the ENTIRE collection as a list sorted by platform. IGN only allows you to view one platform at a time.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • FawfulFawful __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I use IGN as well, but I agree that it is far from perfect. If only there were something like My Movies at IMDb, but for videogames. I guess one could use IMDb for keeping track of his or her games as well as movies, but they seem to be missing a lot of games in their database so that isn't really an option either.

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    http://boards.ign.com/blog_club_profile_issues/b9117/125025562/p1

"Damn, that sucks. Sorry that this has been sitting that long. We used to
    have a bug that brought up a white page in the user search tool and we
    thought we fixed it. I even got the same error a few months back, but it
    went away/got fixed. We had someone in our testing department try and
    duplicate the bug later and never got it anymore, so we thought it was
    done with.

I'll see what I can do to move this along.

Peer"

Sent : May 2, 2007 6:09:03 PM
    Subject : RE: Over a YEAR: Broken Collection pages!

Deusfaux on
  • DemicoreDemicore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You can use the cool backlog site site that a PA member made a little while ago.

Demicore on
    There's nothing I love more than male nipples in Starcraft, the two go together so well. - Tasteless
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Well, I ment one that showed the ENTIRE collection as a list sorted by platform. IGN only allows you to view one platform at a time.

Yeah it was great back then. It had those stats and graphs at the bottom showing your favourite developer, publisher and console. It was a hell of a lot better than their current design and I really don't understand why they had to change it.

I tried to use Eurogamer but it logged me off a couple of times and I couldn't be bothered. It's already far superior to 1UP's and Gamespot's but it's still not great. It's missing a ton of pre-PS2 gen games as well.

I'll sign up for the PA made backlog site. See how that goes.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited June 2007

It does show the entire collection when you do what he said.

Deusfaux on
    edited June 2007

Erm, no.

It shows the ENTIRE list ordered by platform, alphabetically.

EDIT: Click spoiler for pic.
    collectionxe7.jpg

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2007

Erm, no.

He's talking about how they used to list each platform independantly, instead of relying on you to sort the single list by platform. Personally, I prefered it how they used to do it since I think the single list looks cluttered.

Unco-ordinated on
  • The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You can still view a list of games for only a single system if you use the filtering options on the left.

The Burnin8or on
    edited June 2007

Erm, no.

He's talking about how they used to list each platform independantly, instead of relying on you to sort the single list by platform. Personally, I prefered it how they used to do it since I think the single list looks cluttered.

Not really, he said "IGN only allows you to view one platform at a time.", which is just not true.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2007

Erm, no.

Not really, he said "IGN only allows you to view one platform at a time.", which is just not true.

Oh, well what I said is my main complaint then.

Burnin8or: Yeah but that would mean that it's the only platform shown on the page. What IGN used to do, is have the one page and then sections for each different section. So PC games are listed under the PC section, etc. It just looked more organised than the current design. I will however conceed that the current design allows for more customisation.

Btw, I was previously wrong about the stats and stuff. I went and looked at my IGN lists and they still have them, there's a small link that I never noticed before.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited June 2007
    Okay, I remember what you are talking about. Yes, that was a bit nicer, a bit of a compromise between what is available now. My biggest complaint overall, even prior to the change, has been that they lack some older, more obscure titles, which I have never seemed to be able to get added. They have the majority of games though, and even things like demo discs. So, for a collection program that publishes to a website (or in this case, is a website), that is free, I can't complain too much. I can't say I have found one I like better.

The Burnin8or on
    edited June 2007
    Okay, I remember what you are talking about. Yes, that was a bit nicer, a bit of a compromise between what is available now. My biggest complaint overall, even prior to the change, has been that they lack some older, more obscure titles, which I have never seemed to be able to get added. They have the majority of games though, and even things like demo discs. So, for a collection program that publishes to a website (or in this case, is a website), that is free, I can't complain too much. I can't say I have found one I like better.

Agreed. One other thing they have is they also include releases that never made it to the US. Off the top of my head, they've got the European FF Anthology (which includes FFIV and FFV, while the US one got FFV and FFVI) and the individual PS1 release of FFVI (which was only released in Japan and Europe). They actually do seem to consider people that live outside of the US, which is impressive.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited June 2007

Agreed. One other thing they have is they also include releases that never made it to the US. Off the top of my head, they've got the European FF Anthology (which includes FFIV and FFV, while the US one got FFV and FFVI) and the individual PS1 release of FFVI (which was only released in Japan and Europe). They actually do seem to consider people that live outside of the US, which is impressive.

That is a good thing. Games released in multiple regions can cause a slight issue though. If you happen to have the import version of a game, and then get the domestic version of the game, it will only accept one of them. It would be nice if you could have two entries for the same game with the difference being the region. Very minor though, and I'm sure it's not a problem for the majority of people.

The Burnin8or on
    edited June 2007
    I dont think that's true either.

Deusfaux on
    edited June 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    I dont think that's true either.

Please explain to me how to do it then, or how it is working correctly. For example, go in and add Taito Legends 2 for the PS2 to your collection, choosing the US version in the game details page. Then, go to add it again. When you get to the game details page, where you can change the region, you are actually on the Item List Editor page at this point, since it saw you already had the game. So, you can't add another region version of the game, it only allows you to edit.

The Burnin8or on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    God, can no one do it right?

Well, my Gamedex would be really nice alternative if I could find someone to host it. :P

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • rathstarrathstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I don't think IGN can do that either. Their supposed "value" was pretty random. I seem to remember a default value of $24.99 for anything not available in the "store"... so my $1 tetris cart for the GB was worth as much as my $6000 DDR extreme arcade machine.

rathstar on
    edited June 2007

Erm, no.

EDIT: Click spoiler for pic.
    collectionxe7.jpg

Well, fuck, I'm an idiot. Never knew that. Of course, it never saves it and it defaults back. I think I'll try the PA backlog site.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited June 2007
    rathstar wrote: »

I don't think IGN can do that either. Their supposed "value" was pretty random. I seem to remember a default value of $24.99 for anything not available in the "store"... so my $1 tetris cart for the GB was worth as much as my $6000 DDR extreme arcade machine.

Nope, they've still got it. At the top of the list, look to the right hand side of the screen. There'll be a dollar value and then a link to get all the other stats.

Unco-ordinated on
  • rathstarrathstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    rathstar wrote: »

Nope, they've still got it. At the top of the list, look to the right hand side of the screen. There'll be a dollar value and then a link to get all the other stats.
    Yeah, I realize that; my point is that the dollar value is utterly meaningless. It's not even loosely tied to anything resembling a real value. It might as well be a random number.

rathstar on
    edited June 2007
    Well, fuck, I'm an idiot. Never knew that. Of course, it never saves it and it defaults back. I think I'll try the PA backlog site.

What exactly is that? I thought it was peoples' lists of games they hadn't yet played/beaten.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    edited June 2007
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • QuintileQuintile Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The site (the one linked in the last post) is basically used to...

keep track of your own game collection (like what you own)
    keep track of which games you've beaten, not started, totally completed, etc

but you can also send the url to your page to show other people what games you own, or what games you've beaten, and you can browse other users collections just to see what other people are playing.

It's a total work in progress, and there are a few bugs, but usually things are fixed right away.

Quintile on
  • beauVSIIbeauVSII Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Not sure if this is exactly "on topic" but here is a link to Dom and Liz's Yard Sale Adventures, they go around to yardsales and pick up old games, collect and sell them.

http://yardsales.lizndom.com/stats.html

beauVSII on
    "And i was like, Yeah Bitch - I'm Having this!"
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jragghen and I are slowly working on a game collection site similar to http://jordan.webkore.net/games/?func=users. The only difference is I'm adding each game into a database so you don't enter in your own games. And it connects everyone's profiles together on each game, with statistics, boxart, all that crap. We've been over this before in the backlog thread as these are the two different approaches to doing it with the database or without. Only NES, Wii, VC, VB, and PS3 have all their games added into my database.

I've tried to make adding games as user friendly as possible. Obviously, you can't satisfy everyone, but I think it works nicely. You can view my profile in the link in my sig, but the design is incomplete. Plus I suck at designing websites.

If you want to test run it to give me a feedback, or want to help out, let me know.

Geod on
    edited June 2007
    Geod wrote: »
    Jragghen and I are slowly working on a game collection site similar to http://jordan.webkore.net/games/?func=users. The only difference is I'm adding each game into a database so you don't enter in your own games. And it connects everyone's profiles together on each game, with statistics, boxart, all that crap. We've been over this before in the backlog thread as these are the two different approaches to doing it with the database or without. Only NES, Wii, VC, VB, and PS3 have all their games added into my database.

I've tried to make adding games as user friendly as possible. Obviously, you can't satisfy everyone, but I think it works nicely. You can view my profile in the link in my sig, but the design is incomplete. Plus I suck at designing websites.

If you want to test run it to give me a feedback, or want to help out, let me know.

Yeah, that site (Excessive Gaming) uses a database as well. If the game isn't in the database already, the user adds it into the database for everyone to use. As a result, everyone's profiles are connected and statistics, boxart and all that crap are also available, however up until now there haven't been many users, so I just never developed any statistic pages or any of that, since besides "how many people own this game" I couldn't think of any meaningful statistics to display.

In the future though.. oh, you just wait, it'll be mind blowing! MIND BLOWING! or just satisfactory, whichever.

Quintile on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Quintile wrote: »

Yeah, that site (Excessive Gaming) uses a database as well. If the game isn't in the database already, the user adds it into the database for everyone to use. As a result, everyone's profiles are connected and statistics, boxart and all that crap are also available, however up until now there haven't been many users, so I just never developed any statistic pages or any of that, since besides "how many people own this game" I couldn't think of any meaningful statistics to display.

In the future though.. oh, you just wait, it'll be mind blowing! MIND BLOWING! or just satisfactory, whichever.

That would work, but the only thing I'd worry about then is idiot users entering stuff into the database. Like they can't find something that's really there, and make another entry for it. Or just enter crap into the database for fun.

Geod on
    edited June 2007
    Quintile wrote: »

That would work, but the only thing I'd worry about then is idiot users entering stuff into the database. Like they can't find something that's really there, and make another entry for it. Or just enter crap into the database for fun.

Yeah, that is a risk, and I took that into consideration when I was deciding how to go about it. But you need to be logged in with an account to add games, and I can easily suspend or ban accounts or ip's, and I can see which users added which games, so it would never really be an issue. Considering most users are from here, it's safe to bet that most people will be intelligent and respectful, and if need be I'll just delete the offenders account and restore the database.

Quintile on