Options

More [TV] exists than the average human could watch in a lifetime, and that's just on CW

minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying fieldnjRegistered User regular
edited October 2022 in Social Entropy++
If you only had a week to live, what would you binge and why would it be Dynasty?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
DJ Eebs on

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    More TV exists than the average human could watch in a lifetime...

Is that a challenge?
    ...and that's just on CW

Oh wait, nevermind.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    don't tempt me with such fantasties

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    If I had only a week to live, I couldn't finish Better Call Saul. I'd have to stick around and haunt a neighbor's apartment, hoping that they have netflix.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    there's also Lifetime, but I'm not really in their demographic.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    finished rutherford falls season 2 today. it was good, but it felt...incomplete? only 8 episodes compared to the first season's 10 and it definitely felt shorter

but damn, they write some absolutely stupid jokes that cracked my shit up
    "whoa, is that an iphone? i've never seen one in person before"

thinking more on this, it felt more like the first half of a season than a complete one; where it ends would have been the winter break on network tv and we'd have more episodes like 2 months later
    most of the story arcs and conflicts felt too low stakes and ended at their most interesting parts

nathan and dierdre's storyline starts out solved: she's pregnant with his child, she wants to raise it solo, and nathan respects her decision. he's still overwhelming with wanting to provide for her, but he's like that with everyone. their "conflict" starts at the end of the season when nathan wakes up in bed next to miss fish (which is also the least interesting story to end the season on/tease for next season)

reagan's season long arc is to get land because...she's jealous her brother got some and she wants some; it's never even implied that she'd be worse off without the land she wants or that she needs the land, she just wants it. completely understandable thing, not that compelling of a reason for a viewer. i think it would have been more interesting if we had actually seen other women fighting to get land alongside or against her, or if building singles housing was her initial goal and she had to fight against the bureaucracy that gives preference to nuclear families. plus, like, ending with a tease of "will she get back with josh"? no one wants that. dallas goldtooth is hotter and has much better chemistry with her, everyone is team nelson

bobbie and terry's storyline wasn't really either of theirs. terry was more of a supporting character towards everyone, less of the foil he was in season 1. bobbie's whole thing is that they're cooler than everyone else and will come out on top because of it (or not care if they don't), and running for mayor wasn't even their idea so there was less emotional investment in it for me; it always felt like either they would win like they did, or they would lose and be just as happy about it as feather day was.

i still enjoyed the season, laughed and cried at it, eager to see where (most) of these stories go. it just felt more sitcom-like than the first season and should have either established more stakes or gotten rid of some. there was a lot of character growth by the end of season 1, while season 2 is mostly just watching the results of that growth

i guess my complaint is i would like more episodes

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Bryan Cranston what are you doing on this episode of Babylon 5?!!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

Commanding a White Star, apparently.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So I've finally finished Mr. Robot, a few years after it aired.

It's a rare show that ends that strong.

I was a bit late to it (I didn't watch the first season until after it had finished). After watching the whole first season I really enjoyed it, and then season 2 had some utterly incredible scenes (I legitimately cannot hear this song without thinking of the clip from the show anymore ), and the cinematography kept getting more and more deliberate and have some crazy single-shot sequences and such. It just felt so.....artisan crafted?

But the oppression of the world and my own mental health put me into a place where I chose to avoid certian media, including this show, when the last season aired which is why I hadn't gotten to it until this point. It was....honestly, incredible in how the latter half of that season landed. All the outlandish speculation and whatnot (and in some cases probably intentionally PLAYING with that degree of outlandish speculation), and then....the expected "climax" of the show happens with like 3 or 4 episodes left, and it becomes apparent that the show wasn't about that (while being about that), but rather was about something else. And it gets a truly satisfying ending for it.
    If I had to give one "yeah, but" critique it's that there's no goddamn way that all those people would have had all their wealth locked up in Cyprus, and for all the effort that was put into the societal ramifications of the 5/9 hack, it didn't do anything regarding the ramifications of the "ending" of the whiterose arc

But yeah, super good show. And honestly, my wife and I both couldnt get over how good the SUPPORTING cast was. Joey Bada$$ (seriously, what is that name, hah), Elliot Villar, Bobby Cannavale, and especially Ashlie Atkinson - like she was FAR more sinister and believable than a typical actress in that role would end up being.

I wonder if I should check out the other stuff Sam Esmail has done since then.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Joey Bada$$ also has some good music! I was a fan of his before so when I saw he joined that show I was really surprised but excited to see him on it.

And he was fantastic!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

Commanding a White Star, apparently.

Clearly a day dream while slowly dying from cancer and drug related misadventures.
    Fantasizing about dying in a way that is in every way as hopeless and inevitable as the cancer, but leaves him with a chance to strike back at the shadows in some minor way, and be remembered as a hero whose sacrifice has a positive effect on the galaxy.
    Fortunately, he wakes up from his dream within a nightmare.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVdB36lmbII

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I'm trying a trial run of Peacock right now. Gotta say, I'm really unimpressed with this app. The streaming quality is inconsistent (it's not my connection, I checked that already), the interface is clunky and ugly and buggy (I can't start another episode from the end of the episode I'm watching without getting an error message featuring Shrek's annoying ginger cat starting up at me), and the captioning is straight-up dogshit. Not only are the words out of sync with the action on screen, but they only seem to display every other line of dialogue. That means half the dialogue is uncaptioned, and thus my enjoyment is reduced to what I can piece together from context based on whatever I'm watching. Not really a tragedy if I'm watching some garbage reality television while I fold laundry, but definitely annoying as fuck if I'm trying to watch AP Bio and half the jokes don't pop because their punchlines aren't transcribed.

This company is awash in money, and absolutely none of it seems to be spent on making their streaming platform into anything other than a jagged pile of barely-functional garbage. Fucking amazing that only like 3 of the Big Streamers have anything resembling a usable program at this point. God damn embarrassing for the industry at large, I tell you what.

AP Bio is pretty funny, tho.

• Options
    Speaking of Peacock, Chucky season 2 starts October 5th and is either set during Halloween or has a Halloween episode.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Speaking of Peacock, Chucky season 2 starts October 5th and is either set during Halloween or has a Halloween episode.

Chucky is Syfy and USA Network, not Peacock

• Options
    Lars wrote: »

Chucky is Syfy and USA Network, not Peacock

USA is Peacock isn't it? The Psych stuff is on Peacock. I don't know, I cut cable years ago and only have streaming, and I think Peacock is where we watched Chucky as it aired.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Its all owned by the same guys so on peacock it goes

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Coinage on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I gotta say, season 7 of The Good Wife has this arc for Diane where she works for pro-life lobbyists to test their cases for them, and she justifies it by insisting that the pro-choice position is strong enough that arguing for the free speech aspect of some of these pro-life cases would never actually erode the freedom of reproductive rights. "The pro-choice position can stand up to a little scrutiny, certainly"

And... man, I can't think of anything more 20-goddamn-15 than that.

minor incident on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I watched the new resident evil show, it’s utterly bizarre but also very similar to the movies of all things

It feels insanely cheap but also wildly ambitious, with dozens of massive sets and locations and sequences, which are extremely ambitious but also feel beyond the grasp of the shows writers and directors. It’s this sprawling multi timeline epic with a chaotic energy that just feels completely out of the shows grasp.

They basically went the full balls to the wall route and while it’s occasionally fun and has it’s moments, it’s also extremely amateurish and bad for a lot of it. I found myself fast forwarding through dialogue scenes just cos they were so bad

In that way it kind of feels perfectly resident evil

But basically I assumed the way you’d go with a tv series like this is to make it a small scope and to stick to a specific setting or event. But this is all over the place, like an overexcited fan fiction, with the kind of crazy stuff you’d expect from an overexcited fan fiction, ie, horribly amateur and too earnest in all the wrong places, but with a kind of weird charm that occasionally works, but can never breathe or get settled because the fan writer is too excited to get to the next scene or the next setting

Overall it’s just a mess though. It feels very much like the movies and also in a lot of ways the worst aspects of the games

Prohass on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Tiny Terry loves his pickles.

• Options
    I will say I appreciated
    the giant fucking zombie monster worm
    being the first creature you see in this Resident Evil. Would have been predictable if it had been the iconic zombie dog, which was even plastered all over the original teasers for the show

• Options
    The game the show reminds me of the most is resident evil 6, 100%

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Prohass wrote: »

That’s a pretty scathing indictment buuuuut I’m still going to watch it

• Options
    edited July 2022

I mean opinion is all over the place on the show. And I actually liked resident evil 6 for what it was! But the show shares its kind of over ambitious haphazard structure, with a kind of earnest but unfocused and over-enthusiastic tone. It feels the most similar to the mila Jovovich films though honestly, both good and bad. I definitely think it’s a bad tv show though.

I know a lot of people hated the recent movie “Welcome to Racoon City”, but that at least felt like a controlled retelling of the first and second games. It had a focus and a slavish devotion to being exactly like my favourite resident evils. It was a boring and bad film, but at least felt like a reasonable attempt at a more conservatively scoped movie telling a more straightforward story.

Whereas this show feels more like the kind of bloated madness the games started to become after 3, culminating with 5 and 6. There’s fun to be had there, but it doesn’t work as a tv show overall. It’s all over the place

Prohass on
  • Options
    I’ll probably end up liking it.

• Options
    I mean I watched the whole thing in basically one go, fastforwarded a lot of dialogue because yikes, but there was enough there that it was at least watchable, but not for the characters or the story, except wesker, there’s some fun there, but it’s sparse

• Options

It’s probably the most competently made of the live action ones, it’s just…nowhere near as entertaining or silly as the Milla films and not as singularly focused as the new remake film felt. My biggest complaint is the same I have for most shows these days: does this need to have hour long episodes instead of half-hour? Would have felt better as a half hour experience, even at the expense of having more eps to see

I didn’t hate it overall, I would just still rather watch the Milla films instead of anything else RE-related

Lance Reddick was a fantastic Wesker and has the best scenes, btw

• Options
    edited July 2022

It’s probably the most competently made of the live action ones, it’s just…nowhere near as entertaining or silly as the Milla films and not as singularly focused as the new remake film felt. My biggest complaint is the same I have for most shows these days: does this need to have hour long episodes instead of half-hour? Would have felt better as a half hour experience, even at the expense of having more eps to see

I didn’t hate it overall, I would just still rather watch the Milla films instead of anything else RE-related

Lance Reddick was a fantastic Wesker and has the best scenes, btw

All the buzz around it was that it was nothing like resident evil at all. But it’s almost exactly like the bulk of resident evil, which means it’s got that weird fun and amateurish charm but it also is disappointingly familiar and stretched over 8 hour-long episodes it wears thin. I would’ve preferred a show that just did it’s own thing, something simpler and more focussed. Or if they wanted to keep the wide scope maybe split it up so that each episode was it’s own story

Prohass on
  • Options
    LESS silly?

Now THAT is a scathing indictment

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Once again, media fails to understand the secret weapon of the Resident Evil films

The raw, madcap energy of distilled Wife Guy Vibes

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    First Kill is very silly, surprisingly chock-full of soap nonsense for an 8 episode series. I like a lot of the cast, though unfortunately I think the moms of the main characters have more chemistry of any of the couples.

Also god the number of times they reference Romeo and Juliet and like one of the main characters is named Juliet! You don't need to hang a lampshade on it folks!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Man, Fred fucking Armisen showed up in Our Flag Means Death

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    And the Juliet thing is almost subtle compared to some of the song drops. The lyrics are always amazingly relevant to exactly what's going on in the scene, or with the character, on the most surface level. It's great/terrible.

But yeah, the older actors are quite a lot better.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I just started watching Star Trek: Original Flavor for the first time aside from clips i've seen throughout my life. And, guys? This show actually rules, makes sense they kept trying to find ways to make this show over again.

I watched a couple with my (11 year old) son, and I tried to set his expectations beforehand with stuff like "look, this show is going to look more like a staged play than a show you're used to, it will probably be slower and maybe boring, but we'll just try it out"

Ten minutes in to the first episode (The Man Trap), and he looked at me and said "i thought you said this might be boring???"

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the original series is like 10% science, 10% philosophy, and 80% fighting and fucking.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Very late to the party, but holy shit Arcane rules and I want more of this animation style.

WOOOOO Shohreh Aghdashloo!!!!

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I have ever been able to get into the Resident Evil movies

In fact if you put a gun to my head I'm not sure I could pinpoint what it is about the games that I enjoy

Because it's different every game, I guess

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Man, Fred fucking Armisen showed up in Our Flag Means Death

What accent was he doing?

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I just started watching Star Trek: Original Flavor for the first time aside from clips i've seen throughout my life. And, guys? This show actually rules, makes sense they kept trying to find ways to make this show over again.

I watched a couple with my (11 year old) son, and I tried to set his expectations beforehand with stuff like "look, this show is going to look more like a staged play than a show you're used to, it will probably be slower and maybe boring, but we'll just try it out"

Ten minutes in to the first episode (The Man Trap), and he looked at me and said "i thought you said this might be boring???"

After hearing the set up for the finale of Strange New Worlds, we checked out the TOS episode “The Balance of Terror”. Hot damn that was a good Star Trek, and watching it before the SNW episode very much enhanced the experience. You could absolutely see where Next Gen was trying to capture that energy with their Romulan episodes.

04xkcuvaav19.png
This discussion has been closed.