Options

More [TV] exists than the average human could watch in a lifetime, and that's just on CW

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    This TOS episode is about Spock forcing the command crew to watch an episode of Star Trek as evidence for why he has mutinied and it rules. This is 11 episodes in!!!! How are we already at watch an episode of the show on the show????

Money. Essentially episodes of Star Trek were so special effects intensive that they desperately needed to save some cash with a bottle episode even that early in.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It's also the pair of episodes that gave us SNW Pike so I can't complain too much

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Reminder that Lucille ball was a major reason starting trek became a shoe and mlk was the reason that Nicholls Nichols stayed on as uhurah

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    great sitcoms hold up significantly longer than dramas

funny is funny and the stakes, typically, are super low and relatable

i think that's, funnily enough, what makes mike schur shows such anomalies -- they purposely bake in things (either by chance or design) that absolutely are not gonna age well (parks and rec, the office, the good place)

like you can notice, in retrospect, just how obvious of an expiration date was stamped on his stuff

Hmm, do you think that's part of the reason for the overall success of said shows?

Like, are people attracted to these shows because they're anomalies? If so, is that purely because they're anomalies (as in, it's different from what the audience is used to and that's exciting), or are those baked in elements in specific what are attracting people (in similar ways to like how the ripped from the headlines nature of many procedurals works)?

i definitely think it is two-fold.

i think he has an uncanny knack for nailing the feel of a moment in time and completely running with it, evolving at a pace that an audience would grow. they really know how to wear themselves into comfortable grooves.

it also adds a unique layer to longevity because you have a very specific nostalgia drawing the old viewers back, and the power of a, i guess better past luring in the new viewers because it's such a well realized vibe and moment in time.

like i really like the idea that teens love the office because the idea of steady work is basically alien in this world because of this.

People still have office jobs though, even if it might be more contact work now and the characters are still relatable. I’d argue that the office is going to stick around for a while, because a lot of resonates with me with regard to the office, is just how people do dumb shit just to get through the day when work sucks.

yeah but people don't go into an office as much. you aren't stuck with people for forty hours as much any more.

like covid fundamentally changed a lot of bullshit work permanently.

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    There is an entire season of television packed into the Dynasty pilot

• Options

this is every episode

strap in, motherfucker

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

this is every episode

strap in, motherfucker

Well I am drinking

• Options

this is every episode

strap in, motherfucker

Well I am drinking

please have a glass of wine to throw into the tv people's faces when they upset you

7656367.jpg
  • Options

this is every episode

strap in, motherfucker

Well I am drinking

please have a glass of wine to throw into the tv people's faces when they upset you

I…I don’t want to break my tv but if you insist…

• Options
    Dammit that sucks!!

I will follow JG Quintel to his next project

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    This TOS episode is about Spock forcing the command crew to watch an episode of Star Trek as evidence for why he has mutinied and it rules. This is 11 episodes in!!!! How are we already at watch an episode of the show on the show????

The best thing is that Strange New Worlds is intentionally giving us context for that episode of TOS for why Spock would risk his entire career to help Pike.

The second best thing was when Pike was on Discovery, which takes place in the timeline after the episode The Cage, and they use events from it, the start of the episode goes, "Previously on Star Trek," and they just straight up use the actual super cheesy footage from that original pilot.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Just finished Amphibia. Man that was good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    They cancelled Close Enough because of that episode where they had the dumb bit about superhero movies being the modern mythology

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I was re-watching the Strange New Worlds finale and noticed a neat tiny little detail.
    At the end when Old Wrath of Khan Pike shows up. He looks at a photograph in Pike's quarters. When he puts it back you can just make it out. It is a younger Pike shaking hands with Robert April. Pike has dark brown hair with no grey. In universe Robert April was the original commander of the Enterprise before being promoted to Admiral and his first officer Pike took over. The interesting thing to me is that they are wearing the ORIGINAL uniforms seen in the two pilots of the original series. They were a more bland tan brown color with a turtleneck like collar of the same color. This is the first time anyone has ever worn those uniforms outside those two pilot episodes and their footage's usage in the Menagerie/that Discovery "Previously On scene."

Weird little thing. I wonder if they just photoshopped it or actually made those uniforms shirts. Maybe unused test uniforms when they were developing SNW?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Maybe Netflix's next ad agency can send me less shit to throw away during award season

Studios always send out "For Your Consideration" mailers to members of the relevant academies, and to members of various industry guilds, wherein they tell you what movies (for the Oscars) or shows (for the Emmys) they think should be nominated. They'll usually send out screener DVDs of the projects, maybe some bonus goodies. It's somewhere between "advertising" and "bribery."

Netflix sends out so much shit. Box after box - a genre package, a prestige package, a comedy package, a "look at our minorities!!!" package, whatever. And like, it's Netflix. Everyone's got it! I don't need to throw away a box of Ozark DVDs! It makes ME feel like an over-polluting asshole just for RECEIVING it all. I don't need to get twelve packages of literal garbage delivered to my doorstep, it seems like there simply must be a better way to do things.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Netflix’s advertising agency Palisades Media Group has suddenly informed staff that the company is closing down today.

(Source: https://www.thewrap.com/netflix-ad-agency-palisades-media-group-closes/ )

welp.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    “They were closed because they’re embezzling and the FBI raided them,” a rival agency employee told TheWrap.

Man, I wanna cackle and spout some rumours about a rival and have it end up in a developing news article.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Maybe Netflix's next ad agency can send me less shit to throw away during award season

Studios always send out "For Your Consideration" mailers to members of the relevant academies, and to members of various industry guilds, wherein they tell you what movies (for the Oscars) or shows (for the Emmys) they think should be nominated. They'll usually send out screener DVDs of the projects, maybe some bonus goodies. It's somewhere between "advertising" and "bribery."

Netflix sends out so much shit. Box after box - a genre package, a prestige package, a comedy package, a "look at our minorities!!!" package, whatever. And like, it's Netflix. Everyone's got it! I don't need to throw away a box of Ozark DVDs! It makes ME feel like an over-polluting asshole just for RECEIVING it all. I don't need to get twelve packages of literal garbage delivered to my doorstep, it seems like there simply must be a better way to do things.

Yeah, just send cash.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I watched the new resident evil show, it’s utterly bizarre but also very similar to the movies of all things

It feels insanely cheap but also wildly ambitious, with dozens of massive sets and locations and sequences, which are extremely ambitious but also feel beyond the grasp of the shows writers and directors. It’s this sprawling multi timeline epic with a chaotic energy that just feels completely out of the shows grasp.

They basically went the full balls to the wall route and while it’s occasionally fun and has it’s moments, it’s also extremely amateurish and bad for a lot of it. I found myself fast forwarding through dialogue scenes just cos they were so bad

In that way it kind of feels perfectly resident evil

But basically I assumed the way you’d go with a tv series like this is to make it a small scope and to stick to a specific setting or event. But this is all over the place, like an overexcited fan fiction, with the kind of crazy stuff you’d expect from an overexcited fan fiction, ie, horribly amateur and too earnest in all the wrong places, but with a kind of weird charm that occasionally works, but can never breathe or get settled because the fan writer is too excited to get to the next scene or the next setting

Overall it’s just a mess though. It feels very much like the movies and also in a lot of ways the worst aspects of the games

It can't possibly be worse than Welcome To Raccoon City or Final Chapter.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I watched the new resident evil show, it’s utterly bizarre but also very similar to the movies of all things

It feels insanely cheap but also wildly ambitious, with dozens of massive sets and locations and sequences, which are extremely ambitious but also feel beyond the grasp of the shows writers and directors. It’s this sprawling multi timeline epic with a chaotic energy that just feels completely out of the shows grasp.

They basically went the full balls to the wall route and while it’s occasionally fun and has it’s moments, it’s also extremely amateurish and bad for a lot of it. I found myself fast forwarding through dialogue scenes just cos they were so bad

In that way it kind of feels perfectly resident evil

But basically I assumed the way you’d go with a tv series like this is to make it a small scope and to stick to a specific setting or event. But this is all over the place, like an overexcited fan fiction, with the kind of crazy stuff you’d expect from an overexcited fan fiction, ie, horribly amateur and too earnest in all the wrong places, but with a kind of weird charm that occasionally works, but can never breathe or get settled because the fan writer is too excited to get to the next scene or the next setting

Overall it’s just a mess though. It feels very much like the movies and also in a lot of ways the worst aspects of the games

I've never played any Resident Evil game, and I can't tell you much of anything about the plot of the films even though I'm sure I've seen at least two of them. And yet ...

... I was amazed to discover that I really enjoyed this show!

I was cackling with glee at various points. It's insane in all the right ways for me, and I just had no idea what was going to happen next outside of the most obvious things.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    It's also the pair of episodes that gave us SNW Pike so I can't complain too much

oh i'm not complaining I just think it's awesome that they got to a very weird episode so quickly in the run. they even acknowledge that they shouldn't be able to see things like this! It's a plot point that they're watching a show and not video logs.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I've watched the first three episodes of the new Resident Evil because Lance Reddick is in it. It feels more like someone watched the Milla Jovovich movies and decided to write a script adapting that instead of the game franchise.

Also confusingly enough, the first episode is called "Welcome to New Raccoon City" though it has nothing to do with the movie "Welcome to Raccoon City." Something bad did go down in the original Raccoon City though, and it was Umbrella's fault, but whatever it was hasn't been revealed as of episode 3, nor the reason they would name their new corporate-run city after that place.

There is also a teenager who is extremely excited about getting to watch the latest episode of hit anime Deca-Dence, because apparently New Raccoon City doesn't get Crunchyroll and Umbrella's firewall blocks pirate sites.

Maybe New Raccoon City isn't such a great place to live if you're struggling to get the latest episodes of an anime that ended two years before the show is set? Though maybe in the universe this show is set in, Deca-Dence is still airing new episodes somehow.

Anyways, what was I saying? Oh yeah, everyone go watch the first two episodes of Deca-Dence and then show me your reactions.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022

Huh. I can't imagine this is legal, but do you know why it's illegal for you to hang onto a cardboard box and me to email you a shipping label at the end of awards season? Because that shit would sell like gangbusters at the Friends of the Library annual sale.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Ok, I've started For All Mankind season 3, and ugh
    They're pushing the Karen and Danny plot again this season huh?

that was honestly one of the worst parts of season 2

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Surely embezzling by sending free Ozark DVDs is too good to be true.

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Ok, I've started For All Mankind season 3, and ugh
    They're pushing the Karen and Danny plot again this season huh?

that was honestly one of the worst parts of season 2

Ugh.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Fox starts making a Nimona movie
    Disney buys Fox, cancels Nimona
    Nimona moves to Netflix

Netflix shits the bed
    Disney buys Netflix, cancels Nimona again.

I can see it.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Huh. I can't imagine this is legal, but do you know why it's illegal for you to hang onto a cardboard box and me to email you a shipping label at the end of awards season? Because that shit would sell like gangbusters at the Friends of the Library annual sale.

Jedoc's already got this covered but there's enough folks with spotty internet access/complicated lives to ensure that DVD copies of all of the streaming shows still circulate like gangbusters, I had real doubts when we got them but dang heck if people don't want 'em.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I wonder if there are "For Your Consideration" dvds for Bojack Horseman for sale...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I've watched the first three episodes of the new Resident Evil because Lance Reddick is in it. It feels more like someone watched the Milla Jovovich movies and decided to write a script adapting that instead of the game franchise.

As long as it's just the first one, that's not such a bad thing.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    geez, I'm sorry to pile onto what seems like a lot of bad news in a row, but I'm really shocked about this and sad, as someone who loved Bust Down

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/jak-knight-dead-dies-bust-down-1235318106/
    Stand-up comedian, writer and actor Jak Knight, best known for co-creating and starring in the Peacock comedy series “Bust Down” and for his work on “Pause With Sam Jay,” died Thursday night in Los Angeles, his family announced. A cause of death was not given. He was 28.

Knight co-created “Bust Down,” which premiered this March, with Jay, Langston Kerman and Chris Redd, all of whom starred in the series. The six-episode first season of the show focused on four low-wage employees at an Indiana casino. Knight’s character — also named Jak — was a stockroom worker, and the youngest and most wild of the tight-knit friend group. In addition to starring, Knight also executive produced the series and wrote two episodes, including the premiere.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    28 ?!?

Commander Zoom on
  • Options

All the good shit has encoded watermarks, and every couple of years somebody lends a screener to a cousin who rips and torrents it, and then that person gets kicked out of the guild. I love ya, but I'm not risking my health insurance to send out a box of select episodes from The Ranch or whatever.

Besides which, a lot of times the screeener DVDs suck? Like they almost never have subtitles, which sucks shit. And for TV shows they'll have a random selection of "the good episodes" instead of complete seasons. And often the video quality isn't great. Don't get me wrong, they're free and I'll put up with a lot when it's free, but they go out of their way to make the product inferior to paying for it.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

All the good shit has encoded watermarks, and every couple of years somebody lends a screener to a cousin who rips and torrents it, and then that person gets kicked out of the guild. I love ya, but I'm not risking my health insurance to send out a box of select episodes from The Ranch or whatever.

Besides which, a lot of times the screeener DVDs suck? Like they almost never have subtitles, which sucks shit. And for TV shows they'll have a random selection of "the good episodes" instead of complete seasons. And often the video quality isn't great. Don't get me wrong, they're free and I'll put up with a lot when it's free, but they go out of their way to make the product inferior to paying for it.

I knew there was a good reason! Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Did I tell you all about the time at the public library where I caught a patron checking out, what at the time was, the very expensive seasons of Star Trek The Next Generation and replacing the discs with cheap knockoff copies?

I was made aware of the problem when a patron returned them and mentioned some of the episodes cut off before the credits. I verified this and then compared the disc art and identified the online store the knock offs originated from. After that I checked all the remaining seasons and found that the person making the swap hadn’t finished the series. I put a note on the item records that would prompt anyone checking them out or in to notify me.

After that, I got the following season right when they were returned and found them swapped.

Next time the patron checked out they got a talking too and we charged them for the previous set. We couldn’t do more since there was no way to prove it was the same person for previous sets but we did have proof for that one set.

Patron didn’t even argue, they just paid up. It was still cheaper for them then buying the sets new.

My one and only time I felt like Colombo.

• Options
    (moved from Job thread)
    Royce e book, the cast of Martin are basically a five man band so you could a d&d party like that. With unresolved sexual tension between Martin and Pam

How many other sitcoms would function as D&D groups?

Friends, definitely.

Seinfeld, but the PCs would be just as dysfunctional and prone to making disastrous decisions as the players. Average of one party wipe per episode.

• Options
    (moved from Job thread)
    Royce e book, the cast of Martin are basically a five man band so you could a d&d party like that. With unresolved sexual tension between Martin and Pam

Friends, definitely.

Seinfeld, but the PCs would be just as dysfunctional and prone to making disastrous decisions as the players. Average of one party wipe per episode.

I wouldn't toss the Happy Endings gang at Tomb of Annihilation or anything, but I bet they'd put on a pretty fun session. But corrolary to your question: Who DMs? For Happy Endings my gut says Jane. Just easy for me to picture her amassing a stack of supplemental material and getting into DM accessories.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    (moved from Job thread)

Friends, definitely.

I wouldn't toss the Happy Endings gang at Tomb of Annihilation or anything, but I bet they'd put on a pretty fun session. But corrolary to your question: Who DMs? For Happy Endings my gut says Jane. Just easy for me to picture her amassing a stack of supplemental material and getting into DM accessories.

And, she delights in trickery.

This discussion has been closed.