Options

More [TV] exists than the average human could watch in a lifetime, and that's just on CW

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    for Seinfeld I'd say Newman DMs - he keeps trying to screw over Jerry and Kramer has to reel him back.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The Letterkenny gang as a D&D group works pretty well, I think. Wayne, Daryl, Squirrely Dan, Katy, Gail. Jonesy and Riley actually just share a single character. Stuart DMs, obviously. Roald provides snacks.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    well i guess i hate tv now

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    well i guess i hate tv now

Well it's about time

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    As someone who has seen every episode of Everwood and The OC, I am extremely pleased with the outcome of your coin flip

I've loved The OC ever since I saw it for the first time on the break room tv at target

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I'm trying to imagine a scenario where The Lawyer from Its Always Sunny has to DM a game for the gang.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    He'd just kill all of them five minutes after they started

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    They'd have to get past character creation first, although there are some rpgs where the character can die in that phase

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Parks and Rec
    Ben Wyatt absolutely DMs.

Andy plays the simplest fighter build but constantly forgets the rules. He pokes every suspicious object they come across but has insane luck with the dice. April is of course a warlock.
    They both arrive in costume.
    Ron is forced to play. Hates it. Does great anyway because he won't half-ass it and be outdone by Tom, who plays a thief and is that one annoying player who always gets drunk halfway through the session and stops contributing.
    Leslie rolls a cleric, because she wants to be a healer, but over the course of the game turns out she keeps RPing super aggro.
    Everybody always forgets that Jerry is playing despite him providing all the snacks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    (moved from Job thread)
    Royce e book, the cast of Martin are basically a five man band so you could a d&d party like that. With unresolved sexual tension between Martin and Pam

How many other sitcoms would function as D&D groups?

Friends, definitely.

Seinfeld, but the PCs would be just as dysfunctional and prone to making disastrous decisions as the players. Average of one party wipe per episode.

I wouldn't toss the Happy Endings gang at Tomb of Annihilation or anything, but I bet they'd put on a pretty fun session. But corrolary to your question: Who DMs? For Happy Endings my gut says Jane. Just easy for me to picture her amassing a stack of supplemental material and getting into DM accessories.

And, she delights in trickery gaslighting.
    ftfy

sig.gif
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Parks and Rec
    Ben Wyatt absolutely DMs.

Andy plays the simplest fighter build but constantly forgets the rules. He pokes every suspicious object they come across but has insane luck with the dice. April is of course a warlock.
    They both arrive in costume.
    Ron is forced to play. Hates it. Does great anyway because he won't half-ass it and be outdone by Tom, who plays a thief and is that one annoying player who always gets drunk halfway through the session and stops contributing.
    Leslie rolls a cleric, because she wants to be a healer, but over the course of the game turns out she keeps RPing super aggro.
    Everybody always forgets that Jerry is playing despite him providing all the snacks.

Leslie specifically plays a Lawful Good Cleric and eventually finds herself setting an entire village full of children on fire because April has baited her into a trap based on Leslie's strict moral code reactions to other situations.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Isn't the golden girls constantly held up as the example of a dnd group?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

NewsRadio could absolutely do a D&D episode.

Dave Nelson runs the game, with the adventure being advertised to Jimmy James as a team-building activity.

Lisa Miller min-maxes her character, who tries to "win" the game, ultimately resorting to sexual bribery against the DM.

Bill McNeal contests every single in-game ruling from Dave. Bill's a rule-lawyer who has never, ever read the game handbook or played a single session.

Matthew Brock and Joe Garrelli are competing at the table to see who can end the adventure with the most gold.

Beth & Catherine refuse to play the game, they pop in & out to provide commentary.

What's important is that this game absolutely never concludes because Dave gives up because his coworkers are monsters.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    My household likes to reshape movies as ttrpg sessions (ala DM of the Rings and Darths and Droids) and use other ensemble casts as the "players". Golden Girls and Designing Women work well for this. The one that sticks with me though is the Avengers forcing Loki to play opposite Thor in "Road to El Dorado". Not only do the main characters fit exceedingly well, but we had Hawkeye as the main villain who would pointedly look across the table at Loki and say "This is exactly what you sound like" after every scene he's in

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

NewsRadio could absolutely do a D&D episode.

Dave Nelson runs the game, with the adventure being advertised to Jimmy James as a team-building activity.

Lisa Miller min-maxes her character, who tries to "win" the game, ultimately resorting to sexual bribery against the DM.

Bill McNeal contests every single in-game ruling from Dave. Bill's a rule-lawyer who has never, ever read the game handbook or played a single session.

Matthew Brock and Joe Garrelli are competing at the table to see who can end the adventure with the most gold.

Beth & Catherine refuse to play the game, they pop in & out to provide commentary.

What's important is that this game absolutely never concludes because Dave gives up because his coworkers are monsters.

I feel like the episode has to end with them discovering that the entire game was aired on the radio, right?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Watched the first episode of Nathan Fielder's The Rehearsal and it is really something.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Nathan did it again, holy shit what a premiere

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Watched the first episode of Nathan Fielder's The Rehearsal and it is really something.

I lost it when they were walking around town and hearing the random trivia facts.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

I lost it when they were walking around town and hearing the random trivia facts.

I had to pause and collect myself earlier than that
    "Remember when the gas company came by because there was a gas leak?"

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Good lord The Rehearsal is amazing. It's like a demon granting wishes for anxious people.

Also it's funny how exactly it follows from Nathan For You while also being very different in the premise and particulars. Just applying far too much anxious energy and artifice to things that don't need to be this intense.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    (moved from Job thread)
    Royce e book, the cast of Martin are basically a five man band so you could a d&d party like that. With unresolved sexual tension between Martin and Pam

Friends, definitely.

Seinfeld, but the PCs would be just as dysfunctional and prone to making disastrous decisions as the players. Average of one party wipe per episode.

I wouldn't toss the Happy Endings gang at Tomb of Annihilation or anything, but I bet they'd put on a pretty fun session. But corrolary to your question: Who DMs? For Happy Endings my gut says Jane. Just easy for me to picture her amassing a stack of supplemental material and getting into DM accessories.

Jane would 100% DM, but the episode would actually be about her driving everyone in the group to mutiny by being the most railroady DM in the history of railroady DMs

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Dave would be a Bard, and he would be extremely annoying about distributing bardic inspirations

Alex would be a Cleric that would start out intending to be Lawful Good, but would turn murderhobo extremely quickly

Max would be a Druid and he would be constantly annoyed that he chose a class with low Charisma

Brad would be a Fighter and he would find himself envious of the spellcasting abilities of the other PCs

Penny would initially roll a Sorcerer but her character would die in the first session, after which she changes to a Barbarian

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    On the topic Nathan Fielder would be a great DM but he would secretly be DMing one group each day of the week, running the same adventure with minor variations based on whatever made the previous group give him the most minuscule crumb of praise. He would reveal relatively mundane information and then give you a searching look that would be very confusing because he just said the name of the inn where you're all meeting is The Imposing Pony and it seems like he expects a really big reaction but you've only been at the table for like one session maybe you're imagining it. But you weren't imagining it. He'd go home and he'd replay the video he was taking from four angles and analyze the most minor elements of your body language and for the Tuesday group he'd make sure that the inn name would finally be perfect and everyone would want to hang out with him after the session.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Isn't the golden girls constantly held up as the example of a dnd group?

I've thought about this one more than once, though I don't know who is DM.

Dorothy - fighter, she's protective and willing to fight.

Rose- cleric, she'd go pure healer and constantly try to find a nonviolent solution even though Dorothy is pointing out it is a literal devil.

Blanche - bard obviously. Seduction rolls all day.

Sophia - wizard. Always believes she knows everything, "accidentally" catches Rose in the blast radius constantly.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just finished the season four finale of The Good Wife. I actually shouted “yes!” at the end.
    The last several episodes I kept thinking Alicia needed to quit and to go with Carey. Fuck the law firm and the family law guy especially. I was so happy it was Carey that was at the door. Good for you Alicia.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Continuing Resident Evil, the fourth and fifth episode brings in a lot more game references.

Name drops some important game characters, and we see a very notable boss in some file footage.
    A character also brings up that Albert Wesker is supposed to be dead, because he died in 2009, which is the year Resident Evil 5 was released.

I am curious about how the rest of the Wesker family backstory will playout. Still don't care much about the 2036 plotline, it mostly seems to be there so they can flashforward to some zombie action scenes.

They also seem to be doing the Walking Dead thing where no zombie fiction exists in this universe. They don't even call them zombies, they call them zeroes.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I just finished the season four finale of The Good Wife. I actually shouted “yes!” at the end.
    The last several episodes I kept thinking Alicia needed to quit and to go with Carey. Fuck the law firm and the family law guy especially. I was so happy it was Carey that was at the door. Good for you Alicia.

Put some respect on David Lee's name

What a top-tier sleazebag. Just one of the most unctuous bastards on TV, what a glorious shitheel

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2022

What a top-tier sleazebag. Just one of the most unctuous bastards on TV, what a glorious shitheel

God I hate him. He is amazing and so good.

I did really enjoy the episode where Wallace Shawn just played a character that was, what if Columbo was a mob enforcer.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I finished The Good Wife. Season 7 was still excellent, but had a few issues I didn’t love. Mostly in how it was so focused on Peter and his ever present legal issues. I’ve just run out of fucks to give there, so I just wasn’t as invested in that outcome as the writers were.

I did like Lucca and Jason a lot. And Will Patton as Michael Tascioni was great, even though I would have rather had Elsbeth in his place. I didn’t love how the show just kind of… ran out of gas on Cary and basically just didn’t bother doing anything with him after a certain point.

There were a couple truly great episodes this season, though. Landing (the coda for the NSA dorks) was excellent. The finale was a solid end to everything. It was nice seeing Cary happy, even if it was just in passing as little more than a background character. The actual end is something I could see being controversial. It definitely had a bit of an... unsatisfying conclusion. I kind of agree. But at the same time, the mirroring of the pilot, with Alicia as the villain being slapped in some random liminal space behind a hotel conference room, was all pretty fitting. It had a narrative symmetry that I'm kind of a sucker for, and I think the show has been pretty clear that nothing ever really "ends" in real life, short of death, so tying a perfect bow on Alicia's story would have been kind of contrived. I do think her motivations as a character were muddled over the last season, and the ending was still pretty abrupt and not really my favorite series finale ever.

But as a series, taken as a whole, The Good Wife is probably one of the absolute best Broadcast TV dramas I've ever watched. In my book, it ranks right up there alongside Fringe, Hannibal, and House. There's really just not a lot else that holds a candle to it. Just an amazing, amazing show and I'm so glad I finally listened to @Poorochondriac and actually watched it all. It was especially neat seeing the genesis of a lot of the storytelling tricks, and narrative and stylistic tropes that the Kings went on to polish to a mirror shine in BrainDead and Evil, and obviously some of their first forays with their future regulars like Wallace Shawn, Mike Colter, Christine Lahti, Kurt Fuller, Michael Gaston, Margo Martindale, Renee Elise Goldsberry, Dylan Baker, etc.

Can't possibly recommend this series strongly enough.

• Options

God I hate him. He is amazing and so good.

I did really enjoy the episode where Wallace Shawn just played a character that was, what if Columbo was a mob enforcer.

Literally the only negative to Wallace Shawn's character is that we don't see him often enough. Just the most fantastic part.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    It's days like this that I curse the chinese for inventing gunpowder

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I finished The Good Wife. Season 7 was still excellent, but had a few issues I didn’t love. Mostly in how it was so focused on Peter and his ever present legal issues. I’ve just run out of fucks to give there, so I just wasn’t as invested in that outcome as the writers were.
    (snip)

ugh. I'm actually going to have to find a means and time to watch a show that isn't some version of Star Trek, aren't I?
    I literally don't remember the last time I did that. (Cut the cable almost exactly ten years ago.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    (snip)

ugh. I'm actually going to have to find a means and time to watch a show that isn't some version of Star Trek, aren't I?
    I literally don't remember the last time I did that. (Cut the cable almost exactly ten years ago.)

If you’re already watching Star Trek, all of The Good Wife is right there on Paramount+ too!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    (snip)

If you’re already watching Star Trek, all of The Good Wife is right there on Paramount+ too!

See, I didn't even know that.
    Also, it's a friend who has P+, and I ... kind of watch it ... over their shoulder, like. >.>

• Options
    I'm starting in on The Leftovers now. Was in the mood for something light and breezy. Let's see how it goes!

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    It's real good, but it makes you feel real bad.

Do yourself a favor and have a light chaser show in the wings after the heavier episodes. Maybe a cartoon, something comedic.

• Options
    Everyone already knows but Old Enough is such a cute fucking show

The entire production is so delightful, the sheer number of barely-disguised cameras, the thin veneer separating this being an actual "errand" from this being a TV production about errands from just the normal everyday deception you need to do in order to get a kid to continue functioning. The fact that at first you think Japanese kids must just be incredibly responsible and the dawning realization that actually if everyone in town wasn't watching out for them most of these children would absolutely not make it 10 feet out their door before a large bird carried them off.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Everyone already knows but Old Enough is such a cute fucking show

The entire production is so delightful, the sheer number of barely-disguised cameras, the thin veneer separating this being an actual "errand" from this being a TV production about errands from just the normal everyday deception you need to do in order to get a kid to continue functioning. The fact that at first you think Japanese kids must just be incredibly responsible and the dawning realization that actually if everyone in town wasn't watching out for them most of these children would absolutely not make it 10 feet out their door before a large bird carried them off.

Oh yeah, one hundred percent.

The trailers make it look like "Oh wow, Japanese children are so mature and responsible!" while simultaneously making me feel like shit because my four year old can't be trusted to pick her shoes in the morning.

Then you actually see the show and oh, it's all just make believe.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I wonder what will happen in tonight's Tuca & Bertie, titled "The One Where Bertie Gets Eaten by a Snake".

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I finished Resident Evil.

We never saw that girl that was excited to watch Deca-Dence again. Did she get to see the episode? Was she able to finish the season? What did she think of the ending?

I guess we'll have to hope it gets a season 2 to find out.

And also all those other plot points they clearly hinged on getting a season 2 for.

This discussion has been closed.