Options

More [TV] exists than the average human could watch in a lifetime, and that's just on CW

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I've only had time to see the first ep of Resident Evil, but if it has more "Lance Reddick verbally eviscerating a rival parent/lower tier employee" energy, I'm all in.

That’s the best scene, but he still has fun ones left, especially in the last few episodes

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    fans of Lance Reddick having the Most Fun being insane should check out the Comedy Central show "Corporate"

One reason playing Destiny 2 is fun is he's the VA of one of the major characters, Zavala. And he loves playing Zavala and playing the game, and is just clearly having a blast being Tired Grumpy Space Dad Who Has To Deal With These Gun-Obsessed Magic Zombies all the time.
    Ortegas and Hemmer rule. Both just such great, fun characters. I like that SNW immediately learned from Discovery’s failures there and let us get to know them immediately instead of waiting like two and a half seasons to show us that Detmer is fucking cool.

I've said this over in the main star trek thread, but i'm convinced part of the reason SNW is so good is they spent a lot of time going through the good feedback (as opposed to teh omg woke the protag is black crud) Disco got, and figuring out what disco did well, and where it missed the mark. Because honestly, while it's nowhere near as bad as it gets made out to be, it was a very rocky show for a while and took a long time to find it's groove

(...making it like apperntly every star trek show except TOS/SNW if you listen to the fandoms)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    So it's been a few days, is everyone aware of the big Wesker twist in the new Resident Evil?
    So Resident Evil 1-5 are all canon. Albert Wesker is canonically referenced as having died in a volcano in 2009 ("It's okay though, he wasn't very nice.").

The Albert Wesker we're following in the series is actually a clone, "Al Wesker." He's one of three clones that the original Albert Wesker made to help him with his various projects. The other two are "Bert Wesker" and "Alby Wesker." (note: Bert Wesker rules, he has a whole exposition dump/rant in an Olive Garden while chowing down on unlimited breadsticks).

How do we find this out? An episode opens up with a flashback to the three clones (all played by Lance Reddick) working in a lab when the original Albert Wesker walks in (also played by Lance Reddick) in full Blade cosplay with the leather trench coat and glasses and everything. It rules.

What episode is this, I made it through episode 1 and don't think I'm watching the rest

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    What episode is this, I made it through episode 1 and don't think I'm watching the rest

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I don't believe Alex Kurtzman has ever learned from feedback. Anything that's good is just because he wasn't paying attention.

Happiness is within reach!
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Evil this week was incredible.
    Leland getting absolutely bodied by 4 pre-teen girls on the internet was just *chefskiss*

the most vicious predator of all is a twelve year old girl

this is just fact

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Latest Evil
    The one employee describing the Manager as looking like Ted Danson tickled me pink as a fantastic meta joke. That and Michael Emerson just being an absolute unhinged madman were the highlights of the episode for me.

Also fuck I hope Andy gets saved cause dude was just trying to run a mountain climbing business and does not deserve to be used as demon fodder like this.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Evil this week was incredible.
    Leland getting absolutely bodied by 4 pre-teen girls on the internet was just *chefskiss*

the most vicious predator of all is a twelve year old girl

this is just fact

They terrify me.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "And really, there's nothing as pure and cruel as a child."
    - Jet Black, Cowboy Bebop

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Was that a Boston based tv show remake of Mystic Pizza?

But yea, wild cast.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    It's like looking into a mirror universe where they set Friends in Boston and went from there.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Tales from the O.C.
    Chapter #2 – The Pony With Alopecia

We begin our commitment to the melodrama of Newport Beach with Ryan Atwood being told he has one more night to stay at the Cohen’s home before being sent to the authorities so they can place him in a foster home. Uh, gonna shock you here but Ryan HATES that idea so decides to run away. Seth talks him out of just hitchhiking, telling Ryan that he can stay hidden at an abandoned house his mom manages for a development that’s stalled out. Ryan and Seth’s stealth mission is complicated when Marissa catches them, and she immediately invites herself along.

And thus we have three teens hanging out in an abandoned house. Folks, they are livin’ the dream.

Meanwhile Marissa’s father is collapsing like a supernova because his family is secretly BROKE. But don’t worry cause his wife, unaware of this financial calamity, demands that he buys their youngest a pony. A PONY?!? Fuck you, Tate Donovan. Don’t you dare buy a pony while you are dirt-poor! But he buys the pony… And then two minutes later his wife informs him that the pony has alopecia and they need to pay a vet to cure it. YOU DESERVE THIS TRAGEDY, TATE DONOVAN!!

The next day Seth & Marissa drop off some more camping gear for Ryan, and the three of them have a fun field-trip to the pier for lunch. During this Seth and Marissa, next-door neighbors, begin to connect for the first time in their young lives, discovering they share some favorite artists/music. Ryan is a savior, he was sent to help these two teens. But dammit, Marrissa’s meat-head boyfriend and his murder of beach-bros show up and well… Luke makes a homophobic joke at Seth, and Ryan becomes baby Jim Gordon once again.

The-OC-Rich-Kid-Punch.jpg
    FUCK! YEAH!

So… Marissa is obviously peeved that Ryan punched her boyfriend, but, not too much… Cause Ryan is so cool and, he really knows how to wear a leather jacket? But her telling Ryan will have to wait cause her dad and Seth’s mom arrive to the abandoned home for a secret meeting in which Tate Donovan asks for a temporary loan of $100,000 to help stay afloat. That’s right Marissa, your dad is in the money sinkhole. But following this Kirsten mentions the contractors will be back tomorrow to resume their work, which means Ryan is once again gonna be homeless.

That night Marissa attends another house party (one which opens with a teen snorting cocaine, which I have to presume will happen every single episode at this rate) where after hearing Luke brag about wanting to murder Ryan, she angrily leaves. She arrives at the abandoned home, asks if she can hangout with Ryan one last night before he’s in the wind forever. He rebukes her, because their love could anchor him to Newport Beach forever. And then Ryan basically reenacts Harry and the Hendersons when he tells Marissa to leave him.

She leaves the house crying, but in a TWIST! Luke and the beach-bros followed her. They enter the home and beat the shit out Ryan. In their stomping they knock over a few of the hundred candles Ryan had set up because teens are very dumb. So… The house catches on fire… And while the beach-bros are fine leaving Ryan to burn alive, Luke demonstrates some humanity and rescues Ryan. Luke even goes as far as to offer a hitchhiking Ryan a ride back to the Cohen’s home. And there the police await him and arrest him for…? Trespassing? Arson? It’s a little unclear but Luke offers to support Ryan’s police statement and is subsequently arrested. WHAT A SHOCK!?! This homophobic, piece-of-shit himbo may actually have a heart? I am shocked!!

But you know who features no character growth this episode? Summer Roberts, who’s only scenes in this episode are at the house party where she:
    – Becomes jealous that Luke didn't invite her to hotbox in his car
    – Publicly presumes that Ryan is abusing Oxycodone, that’s her guess as to why he’s so “weird”

GOD, I HATE YOU SUMMER ROBERTS

So, we’re two episodes in and man, I’m lovin’ it. Sign me up for more.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I attempted to describe The Rehearsal to my colleagues at lunch today. It is my job to think about and talk about TV, it's something I do daily, it is something I am fairly good at.

Fucking hell, it was nearly impossible. Figuring out where to even begin was an arduous process.

What a show, what a show.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    You will regret your thoughts and deeds towards Summer, you'll see.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Billy Burr

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Two weeks ago I finally jumped back to watching Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Last time I left off was two years ago, with me finishing the first season of Angel and fourth season of Buffy.

I'm almost half way into Angel's second & Buffy's fifth and you know what I appreciate about these shows? The subtlety...

Buffy - S5E3 "Family"
    Buffy: Think there'll be a lot of wiccas there, heavy wiccan crowd?
    Xander: Well, that's sort of her deal. Tara and Willow are all wiccie. Swingin' with the wiccan lifestyle. Which is cool.
    Buffy: Oh, yeah. I just hope we fit in, not awkward.
    Xander: With Willow, it's like she's got this whole new thing in her life, but she's still Willow, so I can always figure her out. But Tara, I just know she likes Willow, and she already has one of those.

acb.jpg

Zonugal on
  • Options
    that is the worst thing i ever read and now i think even less of people who enjoy these television shows

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Wait I thought people liked Joss Whedon's writing because ye fucking god on that one

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    it was always that bad! always!!

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I wouldn't know none of the shows appealed to me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    When he's doing his Whedon slang thing, it's generally pretty annoying, but it's where he decides he's going to be "literary" that shit goes fully off the rails. There's an episode of Angel where they kill a character and you could tell he went into the episode thinking he had Something Important and what he had was a bunch of purple prose and a bad plot twist.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It's me, I'm the one.
    I used to like his act, before I figured out he only had the one. And after I'd heard all the jokes a few times, they weren't funny anymore. (And some, I came to realize, were downright "cringe.")

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    When he's doing his Whedon slang thing, it's generally pretty annoying, but it's where he decides he's going to be "literary" that shit goes fully off the rails. There's an episode of Angel where they kill a character and you could tell he went into the episode thinking he had Something Important and what he had was a bunch of purple prose and a bad plot twist.

I'm thinking of several

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    My wife absolutely loves Buffy. Maybe her favorite show ever. So I see it a lot. I watched it back when, of course. Hell I'm the one that got her to watch it.

But folks. I don't think this is a good show. It's not great! The acting is bad! The fight choreography is laughable. The writing is bad. (Exception made for The Body)

I'm not knocking anyone that likes it though. I like bad stuff too, woo buddy do I.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I love Buffy and I bought every box set on release for like sixty bucks each and I regret NOTHING

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Buffy (and Angel) definitely contain a handful of my favorite episodes of tv ever, but honestly either one is hard to recommend these days. They’re extremely of their time and both feel super dated now, and they were already kind of goofy and campy to begin with. The Body is about as good as tv gets, and I do like Once More With Feeling. I’d also say Angel has a fantastic final season upending of the status quo and one of the best series finales ever.

But by and large? There’s a lot of chaff to sift through.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Hush is a pretty goddamn good TV episode and I'll always have a soft spot for Spike's first few episodes but boy are those last few seasons of Buffy hard to watch.

Peen on
  • Options
    see everything i like is good, so i cannot relate here

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Speaking of things that are good

I finished up season 2 of The Righteous Gemstones and holy shit this show is just the best

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Well, Better Call Saul this week is quite a kick to the gut (and a very good episode)

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    On this episode of The Leftovers:

A dude with no pants and a sad flapping dong tries to beat the shit out of a teenage asian girl who is pregnant with what is strongly implied to be the antichrist.
    A bunch of rowdy teens steal a baby jesus doll from a nativity, teabag it for a while, give it a joint, and try to give it a viking funeral with a nerf bow.
    Baby jesus doll is recovered, but a crazy priest has already UPGRADED the nativity to a much creepier doll.
    Cops try to entrap the weird cult, fail, and decide to just invent charges instead.
    Sherriff's car tries to murder him because he said "god damnit".
    The other half of the weird cult manages to break into every house in town in one night and steal everyone's family photos completely undetected like chainsmoking reverse santa clauses.
    A truck full of sex dolls lifelike human replicas of departed family members jackknifes on the highway, spilling silicone bodies all over the road, blocking traffic.

It's almost hard to believe this is the same show as the last episode.

minor incident on
  • Options
    And then two episodes later the show opens up with the single most affecting scene so far. Nora buying groceries. Lucky charms out of routine. And then going home and throwing away all the old expired Lucky charms in her cabinets. Her fridge full of unopened apple sauces. That little annoying thing you have to do sometimes where you need to lift the top shelf slightly to fit the milk under the ledge on the shelf below it. What a perfect slice of depressing mundanity.

...And then she calls a prostitute to come over and shoot her in the chest while she's wearing a kevlar vest.

Goddamn, this show really goes for it, holy shit.

• Options
    ...ok fine, where are the Leftovers? Whichever I get to faster between it and the Good Wife is next on my list.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Matev wrote: »
    ...ok fine, where are the Leftovers? Whichever I get to faster between it and the Good Wife is next on my list.

HBO Max.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Zonugal I'm really glad you made the connection between Ryan Atwood and Jim Gordon, my fond memories of The OC definitely enhanced my viewing of Gotham.

• Options
    Zonugal I'm really glad you made the connection between Ryan Atwood and Jim Gordon, my fond memories of The OC definitely enhanced my viewing of Gotham.

Oh, its easy as TLB & I are currently doing a slow rewatch of Gotham as well.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    For a show that has very frequently left me amazed and wondering how it topped itself, I think Better Call Saul really did just have its best episode. My god what a perfect hour of TV

This discussion has been closed.