Options

More [TV] exists than the average human could watch in a lifetime, and that's just on CW

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Discovering that the Duffer Brothers are a month younger than me, and thus cannot have any personal nostalgia toward the 80s, really puts Stranger Things in a different light

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    A bunch of Netflix news dropped

None of it good (or all of it good, depending on viewpoint!)

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/18/23269063/netflix-home-password-account-sharing-latin-america-test Moving forward with tests where you pay for another house to access your account

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/how-netflix-plans-find-its-inner-star-wars-2022-07-18/ They’re still trying to make their own major franchise (“we want our own Star Wars or Harry Potter”)

https://variety.com/vip/stranger-things-vs-squid-game-the-winner-is-clear-1235319113/ Variety casually noted in here that they’re on target to have lost 2.8 million subscribers in the second quarter (a) the second time ever they’ve lost, b) the second time in a row they’ve lost, c) 800k more of a loss than they expected/forecast, and d) 2.6 million more subscribers lost than in the previous/historic quarter)

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Season 5 of Good Wife
    I like how quickly Lockhart Gardner becomes the villains. That veneer just peels off immediately. They are also solely responsible for the self own. Several episode in and they've already made several people new partners and also bought out an entire tax law firm just to screw Alicia and Carey, yet this entire thing happened because LG was too fucking greedy to make four more people partners? They've already spent so much more money just countering Alicia & Carey than they would have if they'd just made the 4th years partners like they originally promised.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Season 5 of Good Wife
    I like how quickly Lockhart Gardner becomes the villains. That veneer just peels off immediately. They are also solely responsible for the self own. Several episode in and they've already made several people new partners and also bought out an entire tax law firm just to screw Alicia and Carey, yet this entire thing happened because LG was too fucking greedy to make four more people partners? They've already spent so much more money just countering Alicia & Carey than they would have if they'd just made the 4th years partners like they originally promised.

I really dug that aspect. Rich people fucking love spending infinitely more money on revenge than on loyalty.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The vast majority of The Good Wife, post season 3 at least, is basically a long form interpretation dance of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. It's wild.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I hope Vince Gilligan's shows only getting better inspires more critically acclaimed show runners to actually listen to other people, but I'm guessing not.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    I am up-to-date on Evil

I figured out a twist on the latest episode exactly 30 seconds before the reveal, which is really the Goldilocks zone imo. That's that sweet spot where they've given enough breadcumbs to earn the twist, but they haven't overplayed their hand, and I still get a quick spike of satisfaction for feeling clever. The absolute dream, I truly love to see it.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/18/23269063/netflix-home-password-account-sharing-latin-america-test Moving forward with tests where you pay for another house to access your account

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/how-netflix-plans-find-its-inner-star-wars-2022-07-18/ They’re still trying to make their own major franchise (“we want our own Star Wars or Harry Potter”)

https://variety.com/vip/stranger-things-vs-squid-game-the-winner-is-clear-1235319113/ Variety casually noted in here that they’re on target to have lost 2.8 million subscribers in the second quarter (a) the second time ever they’ve lost, b) the second time in a row they’ve lost, c) 800k more of a loss than they expected/forecast, and d) 2.6 million more subscribers lost than in the previous/historic quarter)

better hire more transphobic comedians, that'll solve it

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I am up-to-date on Evil

I figured out a twist on the latest episode exactly 30 seconds before the reveal, which is really the Goldilocks zone imo. That's that sweet spot where they've given enough breadcumbs to earn the twist, but they haven't overplayed their hand, and I still get a quick spike of satisfaction for feeling clever. The absolute dream, I truly love to see it.

We were laughing about
    this season's basecamp green screen being trotted out again. And then my girlfriend just goes, "but it's really obvious, is this a thing?" And I handwave it as some corner cutting. And then the end of scene happens.

Got my nose rubbed in that one.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    I am up-to-date on Evil

We were laughing about
    this season's basecamp green screen being trotted out again. And then my girlfriend just goes, "but it's really obvious, is this a thing?" And I handwave it as some corner cutting. And then the end of scene happens.

Got my nose rubbed in that one.
    It was the canned lines that finally tipped me off.

Even before the "It's our anniversary!" speedbump, I had the crystalized realization of, "Oh, this is a construct. Someone's got a soundboard."

Now obviously I didn't see his extremely-horrifying imprisonment coming, but I still got to feel very clever for a moment

Also what a clever solve for, "This load-bearing character doesn't have an actor up to par with the rest of our cast, and killing him off or cutting him out of the show would be a huge pain, how do we keep him but not ask much of him?" It's like a very potent and elaborate riff on the soap opera solution of "throw em in a coma," it's hilarious

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Evil! Good show!

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    So what's y'alls favorite stand up specials lately?

I'm a bit backlogged. Currently giving the medal to Trampoline in a Ditch - Kyle Kinane, which I'm counting because it's on YouTube
    And Nate Bargatze - Greatest Average American

What should I be watching, folks?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    The two Hannah Gadsby specials and James Acaster's 3 part special were really good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Chris Gethard's Career Suicide is great if you've never seen that, as is Half My Life (and if you happen to be from New Jersey he did release an entirely New Jersey jokes stand up album that is definitely narrowcasting but it's pretty good)

Jerrod Carmichael's Rothaniel was quite good

I'll second Hannah Gadsby, particular Douglas

Rhys Nicholson had one on Netflix a year or two ago that was pretty solid

• Options

I'm a bit backlogged. Currently giving the medal to Trampoline in a Ditch - Kyle Kinane, which I'm counting because it's on YouTube

Jerrod Carmichael's Rothaniel is very good and very funny, if heavy in places.
    My Favorite Shapes by Julio Torres is a much lighter watch but also very good. There's an almost Demitri-Martin-ish "prop comedy for smart people" vibe at first, but it almost immediately gets much, much weirder. Surrealist absurdism with a humanist bent, it's a lot of fun.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    are you looking for comedy specials to make you laugh for an hour or are you looking for ones that will also make you cry? there seem to be a lot of the latter lately, and they are good but sometimes you don't want to suddenly be punched in the gut, ya' know?

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I tend to like the light stuff. I definitely can enjoy and respect the hell out of the heavy stuff, but it's not my go to.

Loved both of Gadsbys for instance, but won't watch em again. So I'm always down for at least experiencing stuff at least once

And for the unasked for record, Bo Burnham is aggressively not for me

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah I only watch comedy specials that might be able to make me cry, as a general rule, so if you're not into that maybe not

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    The James Acaster one isn't as intense as Gadsby's but there's definitely a little bit of that kind of thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Let's look at the competition.

ervedhjtwjc91.jpg?width=487&height=936

Man, Disney really upping the ante here.

• Options
    I bet Quibi woulda done whatever we wanted if we hadn't all made fun of it so much

• Options

Finally, a way for Harvard alumni to get a leg up in Hollywood

For too long have Harvard grads been silenced and marginalized, it's about time we made it easier for Harvard graduates to get a seat at the Hollywood table

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Man who evers in charge over there is just stuffing money into a suitcase and getting ready to climb out of a window

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Fuck. Did not see the ending of Good Wife season 5 episode 15 coming at all.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Oh yeah, that’s a hell of a punch to the gut.

On the bright side, the next episode is in my top 3 for the entire show!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I bet Quibi woulda done whatever we wanted if we hadn't all made fun of it so much

Seeso was too good for this world

• Options

Oh yeah, that’s a hell of a punch to the gut.

On the bright side, the next episode is in my top 3 for the entire show!

I am now an emotional wreck after watching episode 16.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2022

Not a bizarre accident this time, someone just shot a random crew member and ran off.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Both Taylor Tomlinson specials, Quarter-life Crisis and Look at You, are great. The first one is really quotable while the second showcases a lot more raw growth. I've watched them a bunch

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Taylor Tomlinson's Look At You and Moses Storm's Trash White

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

Not a bizarre accident this time, someone just shot a random crew member and ran off.

Jesus.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Well.

The Severance finale was an hour long anxiety attack

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Taylor Tomlinson's Look At You and Moses Storm's Trash White

So I just put this on and the America's Funniest Home Videos tape is so close to home it is killing me

Like, I need to process this in Therapy on Thursday, killing me

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Also the single dullest pocket knife in history

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Just watched Episode 7 of The Bear and holy fucking shit I got some flashbacks to my restaurant days I was not expecting.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    There's a Bon Appetit article partly about restaurant workers who like the show but can't get through it because of how accurately it recreates the setting. I guess it's sort of the opposite of how tv/movies usually work, where they show a dramatized version of a specialized profession and people who actually do that job are like "pfft, that's so unrealistic, it's not like that at all."

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/the-bear-hulu-toxic-restaurant-culture

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    So I guess it joins Scrubs in the "yeah, this is what it's actually like" genre.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    It’s funny that Netflix is like “we need to find our Star Wars or Harry Potter” and I’m thinking wait what you have Stranger Things, mega successful, tonnes of merch, etc. If you already have a stranger things but need more or bigger stranger things maybe the problem is your business model and not your content

Prohass on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I 'spect the other thing is that Stranger Things is pretty definitely ending, and so they need a new cash cow.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I couldn't say what the difference is but Stranger Things doesn't feel like its in the same arena as Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and superhero movies.

Quire.jpg
This discussion has been closed.