As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tokusatsu] Kamen Rider Geats marathon starting 3PM EST on TokuShoutsu’s channels

1246727

Posts

  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Owenashi wrote: »
    A pair of promo pictures from the upcoming Kamen Rider Revice after-series film shows off what upgraded forms we'll be seeing.
    Are Daiji and Kagero okay? The Entirety of the late 1980s seem to have exploded directly on them

    Lanz on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Owenashi wrote: »
    A pair of promo pictures from the upcoming Kamen Rider Revice after-series film shows off what upgraded forms we'll be seeing.
    Are Daiji and Kagero okay? The Entirety of the late 1980s seem to have exploded directly on them
    I'm guessing it's due in part to them using the Revice Driver. Perhaps how they would have appeared if Daiji hadn't choked in Episode 1 over using it.

  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Someone online decided to do some color-tweaks to two of the new suits posted above.

  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Looks like Daiji and Kagero aren’t alone in getting at least one last form shout out, unless this is one I missed over the year. A Hyper Battle DVD gives us:

    Lanz on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Ah yep legit, trailer, hits November:


    Nigou stamp’s definitely using the Barid stamp as a base though

    Edit: sounds like the deal is…. George from another world where Daiji used Revice Driver crosses over?

    Lanz on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    So this week's Donbrothers had a couple of interesting revelations.
    1) Don Murasame's sword-self is actually an anti-Juto weapon.

    2) Tora-Jiro is Jiro's original personality. Dora-Jiro came later to help Jiro better fit in at the town that he grew up in.

    Next week's episode looks to be a big moment too.
    https://youtu.be/aWkrjTxvq9k

    Haruka's aunt gets kidnapped in order to give the Donbrothers marching orders: kill all Juto or else.

  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    YOOOO

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Geats is proving pretty good so far. Interested to see where everything lands, and also what our heros upgrade forms look like.

    Speaking of good and toku, Fuuto PI is likewise proving great fun. Accels henshin was great

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    donbrothers is incredible this week as well. toku is really firing on all cylinders right now, we feasting

  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Ultraman's the weakest of the big ones, but even that's Perfectly Fine

    Whippy
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    It always fascinates me how, despite the fact these shows at the end of the day exist to sell plastic and lots of it, they're so fucking earnest about what the stories they're telling

    It's why I dislike power rangers, because it always has a much more embarrassed to be doing this vibe, while super Sentai will go hard on things like "yeah, the wandering swordsman who just wants to fight until their body falls apart is in fact a shitty person, regardless of any sympathetic moments they may have had"

    It's not a bad thing! I love the earnestness of it, and in a lot of respects I find im that said earnestness makes better stories than the more adult toku where they get to be cynical (and also need someone to whack them with a newspaper)

    Geats: so by the way the opening is framed, and various things said - I doubt our dead riders are dead and gone permanently in this. Ace is also projecting serious "I'm trying to find the limits of the system" vibe, protect various folk.

    Also shout-out to the bodyguards for being some great comedy in this episode

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Renzo
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    It's why I dislike power rangers, because it always has a much more embarrassed to be doing this vibe, while super Sentai will go hard on things like "yeah, the wandering swordsman who just wants to fight until their body falls apart is in fact a shitty person, regardless of any sympathetic moments they may have had"

    Power Rangers is alright and has it's pretty good moments. I think sometimes it boils down to how to get a good story out of the source material they plan to use. There are times where this tends to go bad like with Turbo being given Carranger which was in no way meant to be a serious series. In more modern times, there's Samurai with a Saban exec deciding to more or less keep it as close to the source material as possible despite the fact that said material is really rooted in the culture of samurai and Japanese noble houses and that it's hard to keep to that with a cast decidedly NOT Japanese and a location not in Japan. Megaforce is a more infamous example as the whole 'split the show into two seasons' deal Nickelodeon had with Power Rangers means that they try to cram TWO Super Sentai shows into one series, 20 episodes for each series. Cue them rushing through the upgrades and power-ups of Goseiger (which wasn't great but at least decent) before mostly chucking them in the bin for the second season's use of Gokaiger's stuff.

    Owenashi on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Any particular recommended sub groups for Geats and Fuuto PI?

    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Is any watching Ultraman Decker?

    It's 10 episode in and I'm finding it to be pretty enjoyable so far! It's my first modern Ultraman series; I've watched all of the Showa stuff and some of Heisei. There's been fun callbacks to OG kaiju and neat redesigns for the main conceit of the show powering them up. Decker's design is cool and he's got a couple forms like they did for the original Tiga series. The plot has been a little light so far, but maybe that's normal? I'm not sure because it's the first modern Tokusatsu I've watched and the old ones were definitely not plot heavy. Anyway, yeah, costumes for the Ultramen and kaiju have been cool, SFX have been decent, the fights have been fun and have more results than just, "Ultraman kills the kaiju!," and what The Zombie Penguin said about earnestness definitely holds true here.

    I've been excited to catch the premieres as they happen and can't wait to see how the back half of the series goes

  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Any particular recommended sub groups for Geats and Fuuto PI?

    I like genm corp for geats but fuuto pi is on Crunchyroll

    Forever ZefiroCururu
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    Any particular recommended sub groups for Geats and Fuuto PI?

    I like genm corp for geats but fuuto pi is on Crunchyroll

    Ah I didn't know! Thank you

    Sidenote, I just got notification from Amazon that my Kuuga bluray shipped!

    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    Reynolds
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    My Kuuga Blu-ray got here a couple days early from bestbuy

    Still hoping Shout or, well, anyone can finagle Agito and Faiz away from TOKU and give them proper subs instead of the probably machine translations they used

    The BD release for Gridman is a bit worrying because I’m pretty sure those are just using TOKU’s rough/stilted translation, and some of the ultra stuff Shout and Mill have now that used to be TOKU’s are also in that really stilted/rough translation state

    Lanz on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular


    For any B-Fighter/Beetleborg fans with a deep enough wallet to order from Japanese P-Bandai

    ReynoldsMcHoger
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    @darunia106 @IronKnuckle's Ghost @Lars @Bluedude152 @ironsizide are now all allowed to have Kamen Rider Opinions as we finished episode three of Geats last night. I think it's the first KR for almost all of them?

    We also hit the halfway point in Cutie Honey last night, and did so with what has to be one of my favorite toku episodes of all time now. And then a cheap recap episode, just to even it out.

    uyvfOQy.png
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    My opinion so far is that Kamen rider is the big kid Toku.

    pHWHd2G.jpg
    Reynolds
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    modern kamen rider is typically tailored to two markets: 9-12 year old boys and women in their 20s and 30s

    Reynolds
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I do think it's cute that they keep giving Tom Constantine bit roles

    Whippy
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Somewhat related, Mark Musashi on Cutie Honey is a real treat.

    uyvfOQy.png
    Forever Zefiro
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I honestly think you kinda need to a watch a full kamen rider series to really start having the opinions, just because the modern ones especially tend to be one hell of a wild ride. These days they really arent doing the monster-of-the-week format too much (in part to save costs on having to produce one-and-done costumes, i'm pretty sure) and the result is the series tend to be fucking WILD on how crazy things will get. Sometimes it goes off the rails in ways that make it funny if nothing else.

    Really curious to see where Geats lands up
    Especially as we're chewing through characters at a very wild rate. Does make me think we're going to see multiple Desire Grand Prixes though?

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Forever Zefiro
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Is any watching Ultraman Decker?

    It's 10 episode in and I'm finding it to be pretty enjoyable so far! It's my first modern Ultraman series; I've watched all of the Showa stuff and some of Heisei. There's been fun callbacks to OG kaiju and neat redesigns for the main conceit of the show powering them up. Decker's design is cool and he's got a couple forms like they did for the original Tiga series. The plot has been a little light so far, but maybe that's normal? I'm not sure because it's the first modern Tokusatsu I've watched and the old ones were definitely not plot heavy. Anyway, yeah, costumes for the Ultramen and kaiju have been cool, SFX have been decent, the fights have been fun and have more results than just, "Ultraman kills the kaiju!," and what The Zombie Penguin said about earnestness definitely holds true here.

    I've been excited to catch the premieres as they happen and can't wait to see how the back half of the series goes

    The modern Ultra shows start off plot light but will really ramp up quickly in the back half. You can see elements of that in the latest episode where
    It's fairly clear that the energy the robot was using that enraged the monsters is the same as the spheres.

    If you're enjoying Decker I highly recommend checking out Ultraman Z, which on on Ultraman Connection for free and is the best series in the last few years. There's also Trigger on there but Trigger was really, really impacted by changes due to Covid and it shows. It's still fine and maybe worth watching if you're going through Decker because Decker is a direct sequel.

    On Decker I love Hanjerro. Like, he's the best little robot buddy in anything in a while just from the way he constantly talks shit, it's great.

    Edit: Trigger does have an absolute banger of a theme song

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtPvVzuAbcM

    Norgoth on
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    The Double anime is firing at all cilinders. And the best jokes are that yes, these shows are really this ridiculous:
    hefzyl8e2157.png
    50h9xnh88y1s.png
    Later:
    cn65avf9fhar.png

  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    My Kamen Rider opinion is that it's wonderful that they use the toys as props on the show.

    Reynolds
  • BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Is any watching Ultraman Decker?

    It's 10 episode in and I'm finding it to be pretty enjoyable so far! It's my first modern Ultraman series; I've watched all of the Showa stuff and some of Heisei. There's been fun callbacks to OG kaiju and neat redesigns for the main conceit of the show powering them up. Decker's design is cool and he's got a couple forms like they did for the original Tiga series. The plot has been a little light so far, but maybe that's normal? I'm not sure because it's the first modern Tokusatsu I've watched and the old ones were definitely not plot heavy. Anyway, yeah, costumes for the Ultramen and kaiju have been cool, SFX have been decent, the fights have been fun and have more results than just, "Ultraman kills the kaiju!," and what The Zombie Penguin said about earnestness definitely holds true here.

    I've been excited to catch the premieres as they happen and can't wait to see how the back half of the series goes

    The modern Ultra shows start off plot light but will really ramp up quickly in the back half. You can see elements of that in the latest episode where
    It's fairly clear that the energy the robot was using that enraged the monsters is the same as the spheres.

    If you're enjoying Decker I highly recommend checking out Ultraman Z, which on on Ultraman Connection for free and is the best series in the last few years. There's also Trigger on there but Trigger was really, really impacted by changes due to Covid and it shows. It's still fine and maybe worth watching if you're going through Decker because Decker is a direct sequel.

    On Decker I love Hanjerro. Like, he's the best little robot buddy in anything in a while just from the way he constantly talks shit, it's great.

    Edit: Trigger does have an absolute banger of a theme song

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtPvVzuAbcM

    So I've watched everything from the Showa era except Ultra-Q and the anime. I've watched Great and Powered from the Heisei era and am wrapping up Tiga right now. Watching Decker as it airs weekly as well. I was considering stopping on my Heisei progress to watch all of the Reiwa stuff because it'll give me more context for modern day series and it's shorter series overall. I was going to watch Trigger next and then I will probably watch Zero!

    Question for anyone that might know... What are the chronicle series (Like Ultraman Chronicle Z: Heroes' Odyssey)? Wikipedia isn't too clear on it, at least for me, and I think they aren't technically new storylines?

    As far as Decker goes, I have noticed that the plot is starting to pick up a little bit. It's still introducing new elements every week. But it's also starting to talk about the Sphere more and hinting at how they will plan to deal with it. Excited to see where the show goes! Hanejiro is great and most of the characters are pretty likeable, if stereotypical archetypes. Decker's costumes are pretty cool and the design for the robot from the latest episode was sweet. I love the battle music because there are a couple measures that really sound like an orchestral version of Every Time We Touch and I crack up every time.
    My Kamen Rider opinion is that it's wonderful that they use the toys as props on the show.

    To be honest, I've been kind of loving this about Ultraman as well. Seems awesome for kids (or anyone lol) that they can get the actual thing from the show instead of the show having a super nice version and the toy ending up being completely different.

    BreakfastPM on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    When you say you'll watch Zero next, do you mean Z? Because Zero and Z are different.

  • BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Yeah sorry, I meant Z. The plan after Tiga is to watch Trigger and then Z

  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Yeah sorry, I meant Z. The plan after Tiga is to watch Trigger and then Z

    just a heads up that [crossover spoilers for trigger]
    Haruki and Z show up Trigger for a two parter

    Nothing too spoilery though

    Lanz on
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I honestly think you kinda need to a watch a full kamen rider series to really start having the opinions, just because the modern ones especially tend to be one hell of a wild ride. These days they really arent doing the monster-of-the-week format too much (in part to save costs on having to produce one-and-done costumes, i'm pretty sure) and the result is the series tend to be fucking WILD on how crazy things will get. Sometimes it goes off the rails in ways that make it funny if nothing else.

    Really curious to see where Geats lands up
    Especially as we're chewing through characters at a very wild rate. Does make me think we're going to see multiple Desire Grand Prixes though?

    There's been a thing where the first dozen or so episodes is a Form Fiesta where you get the MotWs then everything settles down and you get on to the real rider v rider plot.

  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I honestly think you kinda need to a watch a full kamen rider series to really start having the opinions, just because the modern ones especially tend to be one hell of a wild ride. These days they really arent doing the monster-of-the-week format too much (in part to save costs on having to produce one-and-done costumes, i'm pretty sure) and the result is the series tend to be fucking WILD on how crazy things will get. Sometimes it goes off the rails in ways that make it funny if nothing else.

    Really curious to see where Geats lands up
    Especially as we're chewing through characters at a very wild rate. Does make me think we're going to see multiple Desire Grand Prixes though?

    Yeah, regarding Geats
    I feel like we're going to see a Bad End for the current DGP where shit gets Real, and then our crew has to deal with that in the next DGP, and finally at the end Keiwa breaks the cycle

    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I missed the new Black Sun trailer, which someone went and subbed since they haven’t put out one yet that’s done officially

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBbC6OdA-Gc

    Looks like… a world where Kaijin exist openly in society as an oppressed class, and Shadow Moon is trying to spark a revolution among them?

    No idea how Kotaro fits in, or the Gorgom priests do (who seem to be… training him?)

  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Owenashi wrote: »


    It looks like they're going that far.

    And that live action series also had it's own stageplay.

    TryCatcher on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    So given that, and that three episodes left seems like a bit of time to, like, wrap things up, seems a decent chance we’re gonna get a season 2 maybe?

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I hope so; Fuuto PI has been a real treat and a really smart continuation of what's proved to be a very rich story

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Reynolds
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The adaptation is much less horny brained than the manga

Sign In or Register to comment.