As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Nu [Gundam] thread isn't just for shows!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The hobby stores near me are almost exclusively tabletop and wargaming shops. If there are models, they're real world trains and military vehicles and such

The closest anime-related shop is about 40 minutes away and it's called Senpai's Corner, so,

I actually went out here once right around the start of the pandemic to stock up on models so I'd have stuff to do at home, and the funny thing about the Corner is that it's on the ground floor and right above it is a gun and ammo store. It's quite a contrast. So I walked in the entrance from the street with a whole group of real tactical bros, then gave them a jaunty little wave as I turned into the shop full of waifu figurines while they went upstairs for guns

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    we had a hobby store with a decent gunpla selection for the time in the mid 2010s when i was getting back into gunpla, but sadly they closed down around like 2018 i think

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    My preferred hobby shop is about fifty miles away, which keeps me from spending all my money there but means when I make the trip, I’m gonna be stocking up. There’s a more local shop, but it’s a fraction of the size and primarily stocks train and car kits, and the owner refuses to stock anything but Tamiya and Testors.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    The hobby stores near me are almost exclusively tabletop and wargaming shops. If there are models, they're real world trains and military vehicles and such

The closest anime-related shop is about 40 minutes away and it's called Senpai's Corner, so,

I actually went out here once right around the start of the pandemic to stock up on models so I'd have stuff to do at home, and the funny thing about the Corner is that it's on the ground floor and right above it is a gun and ammo store. It's quite a contrast. So I walked in the entrance from the street with a whole group of real tactical bros, then gave them a jaunty little wave as I turned into the shop full of waifu figurines while they went upstairs for guns

I want some gun x pla

• Options
    MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular
    Figuarts Suletta arrived, so naturally I ignored the main figure to take a picture of tiny Suletta with Aerial instead!

egfp056l3bxa.jpeg

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    My HG Aerial and Lfrith finally arrived, like six months later.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the 1/144 suletta is really well painted!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

I want some gun x pla

https://youtu.be/IW1C4bCAMaw

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    gwitch 18:
    first look at the schwarzette this ep, plus it seems we know what that one Mystery HG is gonna be now

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    gwitch 18:
    first look at the schwarzette this ep, plus it seems we know what that one Mystery HG is gonna be now
    ssmgrsf8phpg.jpeg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Y'all have hobby shops?????

There's a ton around here, Gunpla's just about everywhere at a local arcade to comic shops to even(shudder) Hobby Lobby.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

Bandai that is not a “weapons set” that is 2/3 of a new mech.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    In 1/72 scale, so it's 2/3rds of a Perfect Grade.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    AMAIM mechs are smaller than mobile suits, at 1/72 they're about the size of one of the larger 1/144 HGs

6r3c66tjksha.jpg

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I don't let facts get in the way of a good joke.

*edit* Honestly, I won't even let facts get in the way of a very mediocre joke =p

Heffling on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Had to double check after the fact, but...

...Yep, the HG SRW range is not uniformly 1/144 scale unless they're changing the canon heights on things. Otherwise Dygenguar would be Psycho Gundam-tier towering over everything else at this display.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/eSUMnVR91dU

Postin’ Hurricanger’s Sandaaru, you know, for Reasons

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    ...I ordered one of the P-Bandai high mobility Zakus yesterday. I was gonna get the one with the machine gun and heat saber, but it switched to Sold Out literally minutes before I went in to place the order. So I went with the one with the anti-ship rifle

Grey Ghost on
  • Options

supposedly 40% off the RG hi-nu gundam kit on USA Gundam store today only?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I bought a shelf for my backlog to add to my backlog.

In my defense, the game store was running a moving sale.

hxpR1rgh.jpg

NaaPDS2h.jpg

The price is a LITTLE more justifiable now that I see it's fully painted out of the box.

I don't have a ton of 1/144 figures, so I should be fine putting them here.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Oh shit that's all pre-painted???

I might have to keep an eye out for a sale myself...

• Options

Please excuse this non-game-related tweet, but Bandai Namco Filmworks filed trademarks for "Mobile Suit Gundam: Silver Phantom" and "Gundam Requiem for Vengeance" on May 24 / 26, and I figured some of our followers might care.

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/018878665
    https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/018880136

Well that’s out of the ordinary

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Iiiinteresting

Also this is a great thread on G-witch and it's masterful use of themes. @Lanz I think you'll especially enjoy it

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options

Galaxy Mega and Delta Mega SMP Kits are getting a re-release in September (along with the two Sun Vulcan kits later in the year, and the Jetman kits in January 2024)

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Wait where's that VOTOMs Scopedog at?

Because I have a engagement ring and a... big decision to make. :V

• Options
    the HG scopedog is slated for retail in winter I think, Q4? I see a preorder page for it on one site but otherwise not much news yet.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    whoops, posted something in wrong thread

But hey, package day tomorrow :)

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I thought the HG Votoms kit was P-Bandai?

• Options
    edited May 2023
    From what I can find, the basic scopedog is retail but there will be a p-bandai option parts expansion kit of some kind

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Wait where's that VOTOMs Scopedog at?

Because I have a engagement ring and a... big decision to make. :V

Not much Scopedog, what's up with you?

• Options
    From what I can find, the basic scopedog is retail but there will be a p-bandai option parts expansion kit of some kind

Okay that makes that display at the model show announcement make more sense

That expansion set I think is weapons, a seated and standing to-scale Chirico, as well as option parts to recreate the open cockpit, if I remember the display correctly

Meanwhile, anyone want a 1/200 scale Tower of the Sun?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    huh is that from something? or... what is it? it's neat

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I just always loved the idea of the Scopedog, it's more of a grunt unit than the either the Zaku OR the GM. It's a space Jeep with weapons bolted onto it and thrown into battle. Chirico has a dozen shot down over the course of the show that he pilots. It's marginally, marginally better than being unarmored infantry but that's not saying much.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Random thought: I'd love to see a Gundam series that goes hard on the cybernetics to the point of actual synthetic, artificial humans. We've had a few series get close in various fashions (clones, innovades, type-e system, El-divers, g-witch is getting very close), but no actual full on artificial humans.

It'd be an angle I think they could get a lot of of, and a full cyberpunk Gundam series could do some really good work

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options

it is From History!

it was made for the 1970 world expo and part of the exhibit inside was made by famed tokusatsu studio tsuburaya productions

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited May 2023

it is From History!

it was made for the 1970 world expo and part of the exhibit inside was made by famed tokusatsu studio tsuburaya productions

And you can still visit it today!

https://youtu.be/hNpruN_dDIQ

Video is in Japanese, but documentary footage:
    https://youtu.be/lhYrHa1cGn0

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Hey y’all remember that cosplayer who did the Aerial outfit, along with a bunch of original design suits?

Turns out they’ve partnered up with a figure company to turn their original suits into 1/12 scale figures:

waNkm4k.jpg?1