As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Into the Odd [Tabletop Roleplaying] Appreciation Zone

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The language also is a bit rough.

Like, basic D&D? I ain’t basic! How dare you, pistols at dawn!

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

To be fair,

"Basic" wasn't the insult it is now back then.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think the term basic is something that would be easy to change in a new edition, I doubt anybody is particularly attached to that verbiage.

And yes, part of being well-executed would necessitate cross compatibility. The idea is based on some of my anecdotal experience with 4E, which I initially disliked because the classes felt much more rigid, but also got to see all of my friends who hadn't been playing D&D for the better part of a decade excel in for the exact same reason. A system that allowed for some people to just pick a character sheet and add a name and others to sit around for an hour before game calculating which weapon has the best average damage with a given feat selection to play together is both generally an admirable goal and also I think something that D&D fundamentally wants to be.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The initial idea as I had it actually bloomed outward from one of the many discussions about how to fix race in D&D. Specifically the problem of how iconic some of the racial stereotypes (as often reinforced by the rules) have become, and how many people want to be able to retain those in some measure, whether it's through keeping the abilities as they are or through flavor text or what have you.

Which had me thinking about a basic set that accepts and reinforces those ideas - player characters are maybe just the classic core set of races, you have some classic race/class combinations that give you your frail elves and your stout dwarfs, you have a bunch of monster races that are more or less just monsters for you to fight. A back to basics traditional game, being heroes and killing bad guys.

And then for the advanced set you can dispense with stuff like racial ability score modifiers and even racial abilities (personally I would create a set of special feats/abilities/traits that can only be taken at first level to represent those sorts of things and let players mix and match to make their cool person) - the elf was frail and the dwarf was stout because the characters were The Elven Enchanter and The Dwarven Defender, that still follows logically. In doing this, you're adding in additional playable "monster" race options, but largely in the form of player choice - you can choose to play a lizardman by saying you're a lizardman and picking options that you think make sense for a lizardman to have. Include some recommendations for players who want to model their characters after the Monster Manual depiction of those, but don't require that, because it's not required for anyone.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Once upon a time Elf was a class

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Which was a good joke in Stranger Things. Eddie asks if Erica has a 1st level dwarf. He was asking if she played Basic without asking if she played Basic.

The worst error in Stranger Things came right after when Erica says she has a 14th level chaotic good half-elf rogue named Lady Applejack.

Rogues weren't a class until 3rd editon. In 2nd edition both bards and thieves were considered subclasses of Rogue, but you couldn't just be a rogue without being a thief or bard (or whatever extra subclass came out in Dragon Magazine). Also, 2E wasn't until 1989.

You also couldn't be a chaotic good thief, since they were limited to neutral or evil alignments.

At first I was going to knock it for her being 14th level since demihumans generally could not get past 10th-12th level, but thieves were the exception and pretty much anyone could get unlimited level as a thief, meaning that nonhumans essentially had to turn to a life of crime to compete with humans.

Lady Applejack also would have had strength and constitution limits based on her race and gender, in addition to her stat changes. She's lucky for being a half-elf, though, because female gnomes, dwarves, and halflings weren't allowed to adventure and rarely left the home. The good news is that half elves had no penalty on the seventh stat, introduced in Unearthed Arcana, Comliness. I think female characters and elves even got a bonus to this innately.

Old D&D was fuckin' dumb, folks.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

To be fair,

I'm pretty sure that even before "basic" came to be used as a common insult about lack of sophistication and such, it still was not a great sound to name one of your products "the edition for dummies".

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Which was a good joke in Stranger Things. Eddie asks if Erica has a 1st level dwarf. He was asking if she played Basic without asking if she played Basic.

The worst error in Stranger Things came right after when Erica says she has a 14th level chaotic good half-elf rogue named Lady Applejack.

Rogues weren't a class until 3rd editon. In 2nd edition both bards and thieves were considered subclasses of Rogue, but you couldn't just be a rogue without being a thief or bard (or whatever extra subclass came out in Dragon Magazine). Also, 2E wasn't until 1989.

You also couldn't be a chaotic good thief, since they were limited to neutral or evil alignments.

3ffeb5af-0336-4a2c-89bf-86d7337e7e95_text.gif

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »

To be fair,

I'm pretty sure that even before "basic" came to be used as a common insult about lack of sophistication and such, it still was not a great sound to name one of your products "the edition for dummies".

TECHNICALLY it was just "Dungeons & Dragons" and not "Basic," but the most iconic product of that line was the red box Basic Set.
    j2je8dlalng4.jpg

You could also play the D&D Expert, Companion, Master, and Immortal Sets.

The knots they tie themselves into keeping non-human characters viable after hitting their level cap were increasingly elaborate.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

At first I was going to knock it for her being 14th level since demihumans generally could not get past 10th-12th level, but thieves were the exception and pretty much anyone could get unlimited level as a thief, meaning that nonhumans essentially had to turn to a life of crime to compete with humans.

Lady Applejack also would have had strength and constitution limits based on her race and gender, in addition to her stat changes. She's lucky for being a half-elf, though, because female gnomes, dwarves, and halflings weren't allowed to adventure and rarely left the home. The good news is that half elves had no penalty on the seventh stat, introduced in Unearthed Arcana, Comliness. I think female characters and elves even got a bonus to this innately.

Old D&D was fuckin' dumb, folks.

Thieves' alignment rules moved around a lot. The first thief class Gygax wrote, for Original D&D Greyhawk, could be any alignment except Lawful (I believe OD&D alignments were just Lawful, Neutral, and Chaotic).
    In AD&D 1st edition, they could be any non-good alignment; and in 2nd edition they could be anything but Lawful Good.

But yeah OD&D is such a weird-ass game when you look back on it. Especially when you start looking at the creepy sex nerd shit.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Maybe having a character of the wrong alignment was the old school equivalent of playing a half-demon mammoth-man wizard/barbarian with homebrew subclasses.

• Options
    Tox wrote: »

But yeah OD&D is such a weird-ass game when you look back on it. Especially when you start looking at the creepy sex nerd shit.

I don't think it was a mystery why girls didn't get into D&D.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

3ffeb5af-0336-4a2c-89bf-86d7337e7e95_text.gif

567760.jpg?b64lines=V0VMTCwgV0hFTkVWRVIgWU9VIE5PVElDRQpTT01FVEhJTkcgTElLRSBUSEFUCml0IHdhcyBhIGhvbWVicmV3IGNsYXNz

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    The only good alignments are lawful neutral and chaotic good and no one can change my mind on this stupid topic.

• Options
    Alignment is just… bad.

• Options
    The alignments are:
    Curiosity
    Glory
    Wealth
    Power
    Revenge
    I am a dwarf
    I’m just hanging with these guys, no reason

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Got an email about my rewards for the Planebreaker Kickstarter being ready, so the physical book is on the way and I've gone through the PDF and it's full of all sorts of neat shit. Not quite as weird as Planescape's Sigil, but the new planes are pretty cool and there's a lot of stuff that I can stealuse in my own games.

Might even have the Planebreaker itself show up in my custom setting and leave The Path behind. Nothing like watching a moon shatter reality above you, travel across the sky for a couple days, then punch another hole into reality and go elsewhere (sucking up people, things, and maybe even some buildings and pulling them along after it). Or maybe just have The Path be there since eons ago, so the PCs can learn about and tap into it if/when they feel like it.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The alignments are:
    Curiosity
    Glory
    Wealth
    Power
    Revenge
    I am a dwarf

My last character's alignment was Hungry

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    What bout Gremlin and Arsonist and Horny

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The alignments are:
    Curiosity
    Glory
    Wealth
    Power
    Revenge
    I am a dwarf

I'd like to submit a few more --

Deathwish
    Drunk (could replace with "substance abuser")
    Survival

• Options
    Mhm yes, I’m writing all this down.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Final thoughts: Like a lot of stuff in D&D it’s a particular campaign mechanic that got spread over the whole game. Less so now perhaps, but there has always been a setting baked into this game that tries to be generic.

I forget what novel it’s ripped from, but it’s about your alignment to a particular set of gods rather than a real expression of your morals. The Law gods aren’t lawyers, they’re a purple-green bunch of reality warping entities. The Chaos gods aren’t anarchists, they’re a blue-yellow bunch of reality warping entities. Humans were picked by Law, monsters by Chaos.

Good and Evil were added and they’re much the same. Angels aren’t good, but they are Good. It’s Good when they raze a city to the ground for unknowable reasons. Demons are Evil, but they’re not evil, not really, because evil is a choice a creature with free will makes.

I’ve never used alignments, but I think it’d be interesting to say your alignment is chosen for you by strange, alien gods, and it shouldn’t mean shit to you… but they’ve picked you, and the world bends to them.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    The origins of Lawful Good as a thing are shitty and racist (See Gygax condoning cleansing Native Americans as lawful good acts).

The general frame work idea of what lawful means and what good means being discussion worth is actually good.

Like, I choose an alignment for my D&D PC's to express their concepts in short hand.

But also anyone who uses alignment as a strict thing is a loser.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    The alignments are:
    Curiosity
    Glory
    Wealth
    Power
    Revenge
    I am a dwarf

I'd like to submit a few more --

Deathwish
    Drunk (could replace with "substance abuser")
    Survival

I can't believe I forgot the most important one of all: Power Word: Family.

• Options
    I also laughed especially at "I am a dwarf" because I know a guy who plays every single RPG character as that alignment.

• Options
    Overall I am anti-alignment

But I think alignment is an interesting framework for a game, and I think the idea of people and characters having some moral standard that they are largely governed by is a potentially useful one in being able to populate and simulate a world

But also my personal alignment is firmly narrativist, not simulationist, so that doesn't count for a lot

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Just replace alignment with your Myers Briggs

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Generally speaking I don’t like really sweeping alignments like Law and Good, and much prefer “This order of Knights follow this code and these tenets” and it’s up to the players to decide how they feel about that (both in universe and as players).

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Lawful vs chaotic is a good alignment you can quantify and play multiple interesting characters for on both sides.

Good vs evil is useless, shitty alignment, especially when you pair it with lawful to imply someone’s cop regime is always good or evil.

• Options
    Alignment: loves chocolate pudding cups

• Options
    Myers Briggs is essentially just alignment for MBAs, yeah

And like, it's a joke, but you could put that sort of structure into the game, it can be used for a lot of the same purpose

• Options
    My new alignment chart coming right up

Fred Jones
    Shaggy Rogers
    Velma dinkly
    Daphne Blake
    Scooby Doo
    Scrappy Doo

• Options

Fred Jones
    Shaggy Rogers
    Velma dinkly
    Daphne Blake
    Scooby Doo
    Scrappy Doo

Lawful Good
    Chaotic Neutral
    Chaotic Good
    Lawful Neutral
    Neutral
    Chaotic Evil

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    What bout Gremlin and Arsonist and Horny

Background, Artificer subclass, Bard subclass (respectively)

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

Fred Jones
    Shaggy Rogers
    Velma dinkly
    Daphne Blake
    Scooby Doo
    Scrappy Doo

Lawful Good
    Chaotic Neutral
    Chaotic Good
    Lawful Neutral
    Neutral
    Chaotic Evil

Highly slanderous.

Anyway guys here’s the new chart.

r6mjb9yz2vzh.png

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Why isn't there a Scooby Doo role playing game?

Like legit I think a mystery game with lower stakes like that sounds kinda fun

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Fred Jones
    Shaggy Rogers
    Velma dinkly
    Daphne Blake
    Scooby Doo
    Scrappy Doo

Lawful Good
    Chaotic Neutral
    Chaotic Good
    Lawful Neutral
    Neutral
    Chaotic Evil

Highly slanderous.

Anyway guys here’s the new chart.

r6mjb9yz2vzh.png

Thank you for traveling from the future to bring us this .png

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

Isn’t this just a gumshoe game?

• Options

Isn’t this just a gumshoe game?

I've never heard of gumshoe!

Is it a family friendly co-op mystery solving game?

Because that sounds dope

• Options

There’s a bunch of games you can use. I haven’t looked into it but there’s one called Brindlewood Bay where apparently you start a session without an answer to the mystery, and instead players roll up a clue at appropriate points, and at the end they have to make it fit together. Found [big footprints], [candle] and a [torn black cloth]? Must have been the tall priest!

This discussion has been closed.