As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Into the Odd [Tabletop Roleplaying] Appreciation Zone

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    The alcohol is fuel

Yeah, haven't you seen the documentary "Futurama?"

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    asofyeun wrote: »
    looks like i am a Brazen Strumpet

random_harlot_table.jpg

Geth, roll 1d100

yeah fair

1d100 34 [1d100=34]

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Inside of you are two harlots.

One’s a typical streetwalker; the other’s a saucy tart.

Geth, roll 2d100

2d100 106 [2d100=60, 46]

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Geth, roll 1d100

woooo i'm rich

1d100 94 [1d100=94]

Tynnan on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I want a game where those are the classes.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I want a game where those are the classes.

You thinking a tactical board game with skill checks, or something fiction focused? Because on the one hand there could be social contract rules and a biting narrative set in a desolate city, but also what if wanton wenches had proficiency in axes and berserker rage?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Gizmodo lists a number of questionable charts from 1e.

Some of these are just...wow.

Those bring me back.

I actually used the gem value one fairly often. Since treasure gave you XP, you could give a 1st level character a 50,000 gp diamond and they would instantly become 5th or 6th level.

That's definitely how that worked and 9-year-old me certainly didn’t make any errors.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    My two favorite table-ish things from old-school D&D aren't tables to roll on but just weirdly specific bits of information for Spelljammer. One is a chart showing how long it would take to go from one planet to another for various known campaign settings like Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms, and the other is just a full page of semaphore signals just because it's fucking cool that they included it.

tmfdub18w5mh.png
    gnkp5c46crdj.png

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I can do semaphore and morse code am I cool @Darmak

Please say I am cool I never get to tell anyone.

• Options
    That's honestly pretty fuckin rad, not gonna lie. If we were playing in an IRL game of some sort around a table I would gladly butcher some semaphore and/or Morse code just for you 😂

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Hey everyone Darmak said I’m cool I get to play this homebrew snow elf arcane archer I made that uses Tarot cards when I crit.

• Options
    Their name is Hiro Shadowbane-Winterpeak and they have a pet snow leopard (no relation).

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    If anyone is looking for their next monster (or NPC).
    hetij9lnlzql.jpg

[edit] Or their next strumpet.

Glal on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Geth, roll 1d100

edit: "Slovenly Trull" is my new karaoke name

1d100 3 [1d100=3]

Depressperado on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    also, so in the game I'm playing in, I threw Derek Brockman at the Party expecting a bunch of straight men (not straight men) to bounce off of, and instead, they realized that somehow Derek always avoids consequences for his actions and decide they're gonna wildcard too, so we have a whole Party whose collective straight man is the DM, as is good and right.
    the DM decided that people from Candlekeep are wicked out of touch and don't know how to function outside of it's little self-contained community, and just sets us loose on places.

Derek is a Cleric, ostensibly of Oghma, what with Candlekeep and all, but I'm thinking actually of Beshaba, and either Derek is tricking everybody, or he is getting tricked by Beshaba. He causes chaos and nonsense everywhere he goes and she thinks it's a little crazy, kinda digs it, tosses some magic powers at him so he can cause some real misfortune.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited February 2023

Imperium Maledictum seems to try and echo the Dark Heresy style of play, moving away from Wrath and Glory d6 system and into the ol' d100 territory

less interested in that than I am in the eventual character creation and adventure systems, though the diversity in patrons does sound nice

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    asofyeun wrote: »
    looks like i am a Brazen Strumpet

random_harlot_table.jpg

Geth, roll 1d100

yeah fair

My name is Richard Panderer, but you can call me Rich. Only my mom calls me "Dick."

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I'm going to play a scrappy tramp that picks up the grizzled proprietress advanced class.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Has anyone here played Deadlands? I am looking for something strange and pulpy to throw at my group.

Is it as bad with indigenous Americans as it looks from the outside?

Edit: I'd accept Blades hacks or alternate ideas, too

Whelk on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, I guess I will have to have a look through Icon's classes
    also, so in the game I'm playing in, I threw Derek Brockman at the Party expecting a bunch of straight men (not straight men) to bounce off of, and instead, they realized that somehow Derek always avoids consequences for his actions and decide they're gonna wildcard too, so we have a whole Party whose collective straight man is the DM, as is good and right.
    the DM decided that people from Candlekeep are wicked out of touch and don't know how to function outside of it's little self-contained community, and just sets us loose on places.

Derek is a Cleric, ostensibly of Oghma, what with Candlekeep and all, but I'm thinking actually of Beshaba, and either Derek is tricking everybody, or he is getting tricked by Beshaba. He causes chaos and nonsense everywhere he goes and she thinks it's a little crazy, kinda digs it, tosses some magic powers at him so he can cause some real misfortune.

He thought it was Oghma, but wasn't really paying attention.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Whelk wrote: »
    Has anyone here played Deadlands? I am looking for something strange and pulpy to throw at my group.

Is it as bad with indigenous Americans as it looks from the outside?

Edit: I'd accept Blades hacks or alternate ideas, too

Yes and no.

It's pretty respectful in that it tries to teach a presumably white customer base some shit about native Americans. As bad as Last Sons is as a campaign, it is a great mining ground for this stuff.

It also portrays certain historical native Americans as bad guys so that in the sea of bad guys in the setting who are white, there are some bad lads who are native Americans. And like, naw man, fuck that. I'm fine with Raven being the bbeg orchestrating all the bad shit but fuck off with twisting Sitting Bull and others.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Yeah it seems weird they'd twist actual historical figures for this. Just invent your own.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Honestly the way they handle native Americans is nothing compared to how many CSA figures they pump up now that slavery isn't a thing in the setting.

In one of the campaigns, I won't say which, the ghost of Robert E Lee comes in to save the day because one of the party members is blood, probably!

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Honestly the way they handle native Americans is nothing compared to how many CSA figures they pump up now that slavery isn't a thing in the setting.

In one of the campaigns, I won't say which, the ghost of Robert E Lee comes in to save the day because one of the party members is blood, probably!

I haven't seen any of this in my extremely limited exposure to Doomtown, which is probably a good thing. :(

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Deadlands classic is such a fun system and the world building is so fantastic, I'd recommend it to anybody that digs steam punk, horror, or westerns, with the caveat that the Marshall needs a deft touch. If they can run the game in a conscious manner and make the necessary edits, its treatment of native people can work. I wouldn't try with my random group from the game shop.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The Blades hacks I'd suggest offhand are Fistful of Darkness (classic weird west) and Blades Against Darkness (which leans a bit more fantasy inflected)

Both are pretty good, to my recollection, although I wasn't blown away neither

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    something strange and pulpy

Say no more fam

ak7gz8cwvw7u.jpeg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_of_the_Century

It's a fantastic way to engage with that in a simple way that still lets players do lots of cool concept work on their characters

You get to add abilities to your character based on the stories that would make up an imaginary novel about their life before the game started, which you then have to title

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My store got cy_borg today.

I now own cy_borg.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    It's MTG-related instead of TTRPG, but a comment in the webcomic thread had me looking into stuff about Phyrexians and apparently WotC made Phyrexian a whole language? It's not just a substitute cypher, but it's an alphabet and phonemes and grammar and all sorts of shit. Dunno about vocabulary, but I'd figure that too. That's a lot of work for a conlang for a CCG that most people just want to play and not dig into the lore of

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    My store got cy_borg today.

I now own cy_borg.

Watch out for kroks, apparently.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    EDIT: I don't computer.

Butler on
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Tonight's D&D involved a cursed scenario. Surprise antimagic jail. We escaped not because we were good, smart, clever or even particularly lucky, but because the universe demanded it.

I also got to explain to players who are not old time veterans about the utter cluster that is "wait, what actually counts as magic?"

God I hate prison break scenarios. If I wanted someone to take all my tools and mock my attempts to break free I'd be playing the other dungeon game!

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I've got to get my D&D Taskmaster dungeon put together at some point, but I only really have two tasks so far and I feel like I need at least three.

So far I've got:
    • Destroy the most skeletons in six seconds (one round of combat). You have one minute.
    • Get the most individual items into the Gelatinous Cube. A bonus point will be awarded for the weirdest item. If you are consumed by the Cube, you are disqualified. If you destroy the Cube, you are disqualified.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    3rd task, opened only after the 2nd task is complete.

"Get the largest item out of the Gelatinous Cube."

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    To match some of the common Taskmaster themes:

Make a collage of the Taskmaster using only the items in your bag

Guess the items in the Bag of Holding (the bag on the table is a Bag of Tricks - the Bag of Holding is under the table)

Pull this lever in the most impressive way possible - you have ten minutes to request anything from the Robe of Useful Items, and one hour to pull the lever

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    You must shake the hand of Little Alex Horne after every item you place in the gelatinous cube and name a different plane of existence each turn. Your time starts now.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The entrance to the dungeon is The Prize Round

Each adventurer must present the thing that they would least like to see on their card when drawing from the Deck of Many Things

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

Guess the items in the Bag of Holding (the bag on the table is a Bag of Tricks - the Bag of Holding is under the table)

Pull this lever in the most impressive way possible - you have ten minutes to request anything from the Robe of Useful Items, and one hour to pull the lever

NO. They are inside the bag of holding.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Is this the Taskmaster from Deltarune with all the horny fanart or some other taskmaster?

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options

NO. They are inside the bag of holding.

"inside the bag of holding" is primo grounds for some backrooms horror shit, as an aside

wY6K6Jb.gif
This discussion has been closed.