As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Wizards of the Ghost

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The D2Y1 static weapons were bad not just because they were static, but because they were boring. Destiny 1 had a fair number of highly regarded static weapons.

Generally speaking, I would love to chase new guns if I had the vault space for it. But I don't, so I end up deleting god rolls as often as I get them.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    God rolls seemed ... wasted on most of the player base. Felt like only if you're in some top bracket of players does it matter. Sure some perks are just plain bad, but honestly, most of the time I just wanted something that made for faster reloads on a handcannon or gave me back grenades faster.

I haven't played Destiny 2 since Witch Queen which felt like a waste of cash to me; the seasons especially as I started missing getting them done because I'd play other things or my job just soaked up more of my time. I haven't bothered with the pass in Diablo 4 for the same reason; I have other things to do - if I can't finish the pass at my leisure, I'm not giving someone money for it. At least Halo and Minecraft Dungeons allow for that - hopefully with the purchase that comes to Diablo as well. I will say that really kind of soured me on D2.

The other thing of course was vaulting, which ... looking back feels like nothing less than a total disaster. I actually mulled over going back to Destiny 1 and playing through the campaign again which I believe you still can; D2 well, we all know how that went.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If Bungie could figure out a way to make a straight through campaign game for D2 from Y1 to current, they would sell literally millions of copies.

I'm also well aware of the technical and logistical hurdles that presents.

26904.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    D2 just went on too long, too frequently. I think a larger annual expansion like in the older days would maybe have ultimately worked better for me - a chase that isn't perpetual, meaningful new content, and overall less of it.

There's lessons I think you could learn from Ff14 with its patch cadence, notably the major/catch-up/major/catch-up approach, and the fact that you had two years between expansions. Still a 3 month cycle, but major gear thresholds and raids were only happening every 6 months.

My impression is they're a lot happier to have people walk and then come back, while Destiny very much gives the impression of The Only Game You Play Is Destiny.

Honestly, I think one area Destiny fucked up on is social spaces. There's just not the same level of "oh shit, that person has X mount or Y armour". It's not something you can one to one - destiny's graphical fidelity means it's bloody demanding to make models for, but it is a thing. The tower is a pretty awful social space. There's no clan halls or similar space dressup areas, despite the fact that players go nuts for personal spaces they can personalize

The fact that weapons were coming out with recycled models etc really didn't help either. Or the very nature of the FOMO with seasons - you're literally cutting off your own tail and wasting Dev resources by only having seasonal cosmetics earnable for three months. Especially in a game that's finally fucking implemented transmog.

Destiny 2 was designed like this at launch. The players fucking hated it.

They had unlocked all their powers, geared up, gotten their cool guns. And now they had nothing to do with it all.

The current game design is in many ways a direct response to feedback about people wanting things to do.

D2 vanilla launched with no Trials (so no endgame PVP), no random roll guns (so nothing to chase, per se), no lore to collect, etc. It was just a shallow game, FOMO had nothing to do with it. Big difference between that and "continually pay us $10 and then grind a pass for 15 weeks (mainly the exact same event that will get old on your 5th try) otherwise that money is trash".

I'm not talking about FOMO. I'm talking about having something to do with the things you've collected in your looter shooter. The game is designed to always have something for you to do because the players wanted something to do in the game all the time. People wanted to play the game more because they liked how it played and were asking Bungie to give them an incentive to do so.

People also complained that things never changed. Story would build up, mysteries would be presented, with no payoff (for a long time at least). People said the narrative moved too slow, so now we have seasons that are moving the story along, always giving new info and lore

I don’t know what the solution is, but it seems like there’s always going to be loud complaints regardless of the direction Bungie goes

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If Bungie could figure out a way to make a straight through campaign game for D2 from Y1 to current, they would sell literally millions of copies.

I'm also well aware of the technical and logistical hurdles that presents.

The campaign game would need to delete all the parts that are just training for endless grind instead of proper missions that are fun and interesting (do 3 public events next! This is a campaign!). Probably add some more cutscenes in their place. So yeah, they won't be doing it, even though it would be popular.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh hey, as a heads-up since The Bus Is Coming soon, one of the Desert Bus giveaways this year is a replica Forerunner.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    UHHHHHHHHHH

So... how about that new stage of the Engine.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I never raided, so I didn't even know there was a first wish.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    There’s a new engine thing?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    There’s a new engine thing?

Indeed
    To start it, there will be a card on a pillar in the Altars of Summoning

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    It was actually kind of neat to run through. I discovered that I had missed the third test and redid that as well. If they had somehow been able to randomise the tests a bit more it actually would have been more interesting. I mean, as it is, the complex "tests" were just an exercise in looking the solution up online, which seemed a bit anti-climactic to me.

26904.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    You can just solve them yourself. I did all but the last one that way.

They can't really stop you from cheating on this kind of thing.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    The D2Y1 static weapons were bad not just because they were static, but because they were boring. Destiny 1 had a fair number of highly regarded static weapons.

Generally speaking, I would love to chase new guns if I had the vault space for it. But I don't, so I end up deleting god rolls as often as I get them.

I would have loved for them to have a static roll on guns with different random perk rolls. Mostly because I loved my Better Devils when the game was new, explosive rounds made it feel meaty. But it kind of loses it's personality when I don't have a Better Devils without the explosive rounds perk. Same thing with Nameless Midnight. When the guns all have random rolls they all just feel the samey to me so I just stick to guns I had years ago.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    proxy_hueproxy_hue Registered User regular
    D2 just went on too long, too frequently. I think a larger annual expansion like in the older days would maybe have ultimately worked better for me - a chase that isn't perpetual, meaningful new content, and overall less of it.

There's lessons I think you could learn from Ff14 with its patch cadence, notably the major/catch-up/major/catch-up approach, and the fact that you had two years between expansions. Still a 3 month cycle, but major gear thresholds and raids were only happening every 6 months.

My impression is they're a lot happier to have people walk and then come back, while Destiny very much gives the impression of The Only Game You Play Is Destiny.

Honestly, I think one area Destiny fucked up on is social spaces. There's just not the same level of "oh shit, that person has X mount or Y armour". It's not something you can one to one - destiny's graphical fidelity means it's bloody demanding to make models for, but it is a thing. The tower is a pretty awful social space. There's no clan halls or similar space dressup areas, despite the fact that players go nuts for personal spaces they can personalize

The fact that weapons were coming out with recycled models etc really didn't help either. Or the very nature of the FOMO with seasons - you're literally cutting off your own tail and wasting Dev resources by only having seasonal cosmetics earnable for three months. Especially in a game that's finally fucking implemented transmog.

They had unlocked all their powers, geared up, gotten their cool guns. And now they had nothing to do with it all.

The current game design is in many ways a direct response to feedback about people wanting things to do.

This response is a little late but I am always wanting to talk about how much I loved the launch version of Destiny 2.

I loved how Destiny 2 launched. My friends loved how it launched. We played every week, it was like a phenomenon where people who didn't even play FPS games or much online stuff got into it. I felt like it was a game that finally respected my time and didn't demand me to grind a million missions in order to progress- but that was because I wasn't wanting to be the best in the world with the highest number on the gear or whatever. From my understanding, a lot of the early backlash to Destiny 2 was based around the hardcore players thinking the exact opposite of what I did- in order to get the best gear and top level stuff for end game they had to grind incessantly for the smallest number increases, and there was practically nothing to do and nothing new to grind.

Tbh I think listening to the hardcore set is what set Destiny on this path in general. I think the vast majority of casual players liked how it launched and would have enjoyed the continued cadence, but the hardcore extremely online have the time to be the loudest and most demanding so their many complaints got attended to and the satisfied players got left in the dust. My friends dropped off one by one. It was hard to organize any group sessions because people needed to grind multiple times per week and you couldn't really schedule that meaningfully as an adult. It sucked.

Maybe if Destiny 2 had social spaces and tools like FF14 the complaints would have been for more casual reasons to spend time playing and hanging out that didn't cater purely to the hardcore. I certainly enjoy coming back to play the fun events like the Halloween and Holiday stuff, which are largely just fun and not geared towards setting you up to do the best raid or be a PVP god.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    The success of Forsaken would seem to disprove that the changes made after D2Y1 were all about the hardcore group only.

The problem is they keep charging more and more for less and less content, and by lightfall it finally bit them fully in the ass and caused huge player number drops.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Gameplay changes happening at the same time as massive improvement in the storytelling seems like a great way to get causation/correlation errors in everybody's heads.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Having had a lot of conversation about this I think the issues are:

Destiny gameplay: good

Destiny's forcing you to grind to hit an arbitrary number to participate in raids and high level activities: frustrating for some, acceptable for others, nobody really likes it.

Destiny's storytelling: pretty good at this point?

Destiny's seasonal model (1 matchmade activity, 1 small group activity, 1 vendor to stuff widgets into, weekly cadence to encourage FOMO): tiresome at first, barely tolerable to outright unacceptable now

Destiny's failure to update any part of the game that's part of the free to play experience i.e. the "core" playlists of Strikes/Crucible/Gambit: completely ludicrous, understandable if you have accounting software where your brain and heart should be, but has been actively driving players away from the game for at least the past two years.

I might have missed some stuff.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Destiny's seasonal model (1 matchmade activity, 1 small group activity, 1 vendor to stuff widgets into, weekly cadence to encourage FOMO): tiresome at first, barely tolerable to outright unacceptable now

I really struggle with this complaint currently. It has absolutely been true in the past. I'd even accept it for last season because of how long fishing could take but that was mostly optional.

This season it feels way off base. I don't think any week asked you to do more than like a Spire run and an Altar run in a week. (Fake Edit: Yeah, it's either one of each, or patrol zone elemental thing/lost sector or one of them then a mission.) There were a couple Imbaru engine things but those are one offs, puzzles, quick and easily youtube-able after like two hours from reset.

I suspect you could knock the entire seasonal storyline out in like 4 hours if you just started it up now that it is all unlocked.

Second fake edit: Your complaint wasn't especially about the time commitment, which is the more common one I've heard. I'm not sure how you'd put more variety in the seasonal stuff without it just flat out not being Destiny. This season had two events that play different, some hidden stuff in it to explore, and user influenceable modifiers that were thematic and impactful.

Heck, they even managed to only mildly sabotage the group content via secret stuff this season unlike last season.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Destiny 2 being nominated for best community support at the Game Awards has such a mark of dark humor to it, considering, you know, Bungie just fired a bunch of the community support team. Oh, and the fact that that team has had to spend the last nine months dealing with the flaming dog turds the management keeps leaving at their doorstep.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Destiny 2 being nominated for best community support at the Game Awards has such a mark of dark humor to it, considering, you know, Bungie just fired a bunch of the community support team. Oh, and the fact that that team has had to spend the last nine months dealing with the flaming dog turds the management keeps leaving at their doorstep.

They've had to deal with enough stalking and threats people quit and/or had breakdowns. Earned an award IMO.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

They've had to deal with enough stalking and threats people quit and/or had breakdowns. Earned an award IMO.

You think Fortnite or COD doesn't have to deal with that? Having shitty people play your game is not award worthy, that's called "gamer culture."

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Their primary community rep, who had been with them since the Halo days--dmg04 I think it was--quit specifically because of an extended campaign of harassment and death threats sent to his home address.

They changed their entire engagement strategy because they got flooded with death threats--again, to developers at their homes--because a specific Titan exotic didn't get changes it was never going to get.

Bungie's community team has been taking it harder than most, yeah.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Here's a COD dev getting death threats for a patch people thought they MIGHT get, but did not end up getting.
    https://www.thegamer.com/modern-warfare-director-death-threats/

Here's a COD dev getting threats against his family's life because his team tweaked certain stats on certain guns by fractions of one second.
    https://www.eurogamer.net/cod-developer-appeals-for-calm-after-death-threats

And here's streamers of COD getting death threats because they were too optimistic about an upcoming patch changing a lot of things... or were pessimistic about it changing very much (yes, both things for different streamers).
    https://www.dexerto.com/call-of-duty/warzone-2-streamers-receive-death-threats-from-furious-players-over-season-3-update-2112852/

All of which is to say... unfortunately, no. D2 devs do not have it uniquely bad, save for the whole "getting fired for the position the award is about" which is a reason Bungie should be disqualified for receiving an award, not a reason to give them one.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

Doesn't the award go to the studio, though? So basically the executives who fired the community managers who faced all the abuse would go on stage and pick up an award. I think that's the absurdity that Dac is referring to.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »

Doesn't the award go to the studio, though? So basically the executives who fired the community managers who faced all the abuse would go on stage and pick up an award. I think that's the absurdity that Dac is referring to.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ped5vhwoi29heqnuaqeaxz1owckvv65oogrc03nk&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

I really struggle with this complaint currently. It has absolutely been true in the past. I'd even accept it for last season because of how long fishing could take but that was mostly optional.

This season it feels way off base. I don't think any week asked you to do more than like a Spire run and an Altar run in a week. (Fake Edit: Yeah, it's either one of each, or patrol zone elemental thing/lost sector or one of them then a mission.) There were a couple Imbaru engine things but those are one offs, puzzles, quick and easily youtube-able after like two hours from reset.

I suspect you could knock the entire seasonal storyline out in like 4 hours if you just started it up now that it is all unlocked.

Second fake edit: Your complaint wasn't especially about the time commitment, which is the more common one I've heard. I'm not sure how you'd put more variety in the seasonal stuff without it just flat out not being Destiny. This season had two events that play different, some hidden stuff in it to explore, and user influenceable modifiers that were thematic and impactful.

Heck, they even managed to only mildly sabotage the group content via secret stuff this season unlike last season.

To be totally clear, I'm still a weekly player and I agree with you. I think the seasonal model is actually pretty forgiving in terms of time commitment and that if you just want to stay current with the story it's not a huge ask. I also think that paying for the year at a time is an unbelievable value, $100 is way less than the price of two new video games and you get a huge amount of game out of it, but I know people who mostly or entirely burned out on Destiny and they completely disagree with me on all points. I don't know how you reconcile the two sides, neither's objectively wrong and I don't think it's bad to feel like you've played enough of a game and that you want to spend your time some other way.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Bungie put out a press release and teaser for the new season: https://press.bungie.com/Destiny-2s-Season-of-the-Wish-launches-November-28
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk7dnUEooS4
    The interesting bit is that they still say The Final Shape is coming February 27th, despite numerous reports of an internal delay until June.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular

To be totally clear, I'm still a weekly player and I agree with you. I think the seasonal model is actually pretty forgiving in terms of time commitment and that if you just want to stay current with the story it's not a huge ask. I also think that paying for the year at a time is an unbelievable value, $100 is way less than the price of two new video games and you get a huge amount of game out of it, but I know people who mostly or entirely burned out on Destiny and they completely disagree with me on all points. I don't know how you reconcile the two sides, neither's objectively wrong and I don't think it's bad to feel like you've played enough of a game and that you want to spend your time some other way.

I'm in the same place: I play enough to get through the story but not enough that I get burned out. This season's story was especially forgiving, giving me time in my 2-4 hour weekly/bi-weekly play sessions to catch up on the main expansion story I prioritize behind doing seasonal stuff that will eventually go away. I don't buy cosmetics, including not paying for the holiday thing, but I don't find their existence insulting like some others do.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Bungie put out a press release and teaser for the new season: https://press.bungie.com/Destiny-2s-Season-of-the-Wish-launches-November-28
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk7dnUEooS4
    The interesting bit is that they still say The Final Shape is coming February 27th, despite numerous reports of an internal delay until June.

They probably had this ready to go for a while and fired the person who would've updated it.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    proxy_hue wrote: »

This response is a little late but I am always wanting to talk about how much I loved the launch version of Destiny 2.

I loved how Destiny 2 launched. My friends loved how it launched. We played every week, it was like a phenomenon where people who didn't even play FPS games or much online stuff got into it. I felt like it was a game that finally respected my time and didn't demand me to grind a million missions in order to progress- but that was because I wasn't wanting to be the best in the world with the highest number on the gear or whatever. From my understanding, a lot of the early backlash to Destiny 2 was based around the hardcore players thinking the exact opposite of what I did- in order to get the best gear and top level stuff for end game they had to grind incessantly for the smallest number increases, and there was practically nothing to do and nothing new to grind.

Tbh I think listening to the hardcore set is what set Destiny on this path in general. I think the vast majority of casual players liked how it launched and would have enjoyed the continued cadence, but the hardcore extremely online have the time to be the loudest and most demanding so their many complaints got attended to and the satisfied players got left in the dust. My friends dropped off one by one. It was hard to organize any group sessions because people needed to grind multiple times per week and you couldn't really schedule that meaningfully as an adult. It sucked.

Maybe if Destiny 2 had social spaces and tools like FF14 the complaints would have been for more casual reasons to spend time playing and hanging out that didn't cater purely to the hardcore. I certainly enjoy coming back to play the fun events like the Halloween and Holiday stuff, which are largely just fun and not geared towards setting you up to do the best raid or be a PVP god.

No, the initial complaints were that there was nothing to do. "Grinding" to the top level of power in D2 Vanilla was extremely easy. It didn't take any real grinding or anything ludicrous. There just wasn't anything to do with all the gear you'd gotten. You could run the raid but static loot meant you could quickly have collected literally every possible drop and then ... you were done. But people liked the gameplay. They wanted to keep playing so what they wanted was more things to do. A lot of Forsaken and even Warmind is a reaction to this kind feedback. It's about building a long tail of things you could do once you had hit the endgame and were powered up and what not.

And that long tail is I think crucial to the game too. From what we can tell from the information we have. Look at the shortfalls they had this year and then look at the sales numbers and player numbers at Lightfall launch. They had the numbers but then everyone just left. And when they leave, the game can't near as much money.

• Options
    Yes, but everyone didn't leave because there was nothing to do. Everyone left because there was nothing FUN to do! Grinding for new weapons and gear is "fun" (for some specific definitions of the word) but with most of the hardcore players already at the power cap, and the overwhelming variety and supply of weapons, there's not really any reason to grind them out (aside from "gotta catch them all", I guess). I mean, I already have a set loadout for each subclass, so a new gun isn't going to make much difference to me.

Last year, I was playing D2 like it was a second job and there were a LOT of nights when I logged off because I had to sleep. There was always something fun to do, something to chase. My in-game to-do list was longer than the time I had to play and it kept me going. This year, I'm struggling to find reasons to log in. Playing just for the sake of playing isn't really happening. Most activities are either trivial (i.e. open world stuff) or brutally difficult and beyond my skill level (i.e. solo raids and dungeons). The mid-level *fun* content is missing. Legendary Lost Sectors is about where I've personally settled in terms of fun/difficulty, there's only one of those in the game at any given time, and I've completed all of them literally dozens of times by now.

For the last few weeks I've been jumping on to dump 150 shards into cores and then logging out. My current list of things to do in Destiny is this: I'll probably run the Ghosts dungeon this weekend, to get Rank 9.

26904.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Where's the Arknights collab that was announced like a year ago, though?

• Options
    I'm sure these will be like $20 per class.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I'm sure these will be like $20 per class.

They are!

• Options
    Barf.

Like that isn't even that unusual for Destiny lately, and I know that it's unlikely to make it cheaper considering their revenue shortfall, but that still doesn't feel great. Especially when they continue to be tight-lipped about whether or not there will ever be another expansion after final shape or whether it's just going to be endless seasons forevermore.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/ilNvxuIKuWg?si=9dbS26jlll9uy83E

I think the only thing that didn't make me want to gag was the exotic reworks and some Stasis buffs. Everything else leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I really got started in D2 with The Witch Queen, and the power fantasy and the power of buildcrafting was what enticed me to stick around, and continues to be what I like now. I don't give a shit about chasing guns - sorry, but they're not as fun as Borderlands.

Tiered energy return based on cooldown + reducing the base % benefit of energy returns + slapping a 10s cooldown on a lot of energy orb generating abilities is going to be an ENORMOUS damper on what I find fun.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i think it opens up a lot of stuff instead of the eternal infinite spam builds we currently see.

and if bungie balanced more than once every 6 months would allow better tuning but lol

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Real annoyed at the synthocepts now being a weapon buffing exotic. That's...that's not the point at all.

I get they were probably too good currently but I don't wear it to reload my guns faster when folks are in punching range. Pretty much 100% the opposite of that.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    syntho has been absolutely crowding out every melee exotic titans have for years, it's crazy that it went this long in the first place untouched.

it's still got pretty significantly increased damage over baseline and works well with glaives again. it's now the all around i plan on being up in this shit exotic, not just the i am going to be spamming this bonk hammer until the boss is dead exotic.

aeNqQM9.jpg