As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Wizards of the Ghost

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Wormgod Caress sounds like it'll be nice for add clear for melee finally with a reworked function, but I'm betting they're also sneaking in a nerf to its final damage bonus.

Not that you'll want to be up close and personal that much because any survivability you normally get from orbs is going to be much more fraught and risky.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Barf.

Like that isn't even that unusual for Destiny lately, and I know that it's unlikely to make it cheaper considering their revenue shortfall, but that still doesn't feel great. Especially when they continue to be tight-lipped about whether or not there will ever be another expansion after final shape or whether it's just going to be endless seasons forevermore.

The price has always been like that and isn't even abnormal for games in general. It's not for you and me and never has been.

I mean, I buy stupid shit like that all the time. I have hundreds of dollars worth of internet space ships in Star Citizen, and I've probably spent over thousand in Warframe over the last ten years. If I felt more secure about where Destiny was going, this probably wouldn't bother me. It's just that in the context of Bungie's seemingly never-ending dumpster fire over the last half year or so, with the future of the game being nebulous, it's enough to make even my whale ass pause, furrow my brow, and ask: "wait, do I really care if I 'miss out' on this one?" :P

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Destiny 2 is a game with paid expansions that also has some of the only monetization of any game I play that makes me hesitate regularly, even for something I want, even when I can afford it. And the way it prices stuff like dungeons is just...bizarrely bad feeling, even if season and dungeons and all is cheaper over all than playing a subscription MMO.

ESO does the 'try to extract as much money from whales as possible, but also playable by non-whales without overthinking it' thing a lot better. Buy the latest expansion, subscribe, play everything in the game from beginning to end. And you'll get the full value of your subscription in cash shop currency piling up each month in case something there catches your eye.

Kamar on
    Kamar wrote: »
    Destiny 2 is a game with paid expansions that also has some of the only monetization of any game I play that makes me hesitate regularly, even for something I want, even when I can afford it. And the way it prices stuff like dungeons is just...bizarrely bad feeling, even if season and dungeons and all is cheaper over all than playing a subscription MMO.

ESO does the 'try to extract as much money from whales as possible, but also playable by non-whales without overthinking it' thing a lot better. Buy the latest expansion, subscribe, play everything in the game from beginning to end. And you'll get the full value of your subscription in cash shop currency piling up each month in case something there catches your eye.

Destiny plays like that for the most part. Buy the deluxe edition of the yearly expansion and you will have all the content unlocked for the year. And there's plenty of bright dust to be made just playing the game. Enough to buy a lot of things that come up in the shop over the course of the year.

edited November 2023
    shryke wrote: »

Destiny plays like that for the most part. Buy the deluxe edition of the yearly expansion and you will have all the content unlocked for the year. And there's plenty of bright dust to be made just playing the game. Enough to buy a lot of things that come up in the shop over the course of the year.

You still have to purchase each xpac individually, buy dungeons individually, buy old seasons if they're still around, and you don't get $100 worth of silver to go with your $100 price tag, or $whatever worth with each season purchased.

A $15/mth subscription to ESO gives you every single bit of content that's ever been in the game prior to the current expansion while you're subscribed, the crafting bag (which should be baseline tbh), and $15 worth of the silver-equivalent each month. Spending double what D2 costs to play for a year somehow feels better because of how the D2 monetization works.

Kamar on

You still have to purchase each xpac individually, buy dungeons individually, buy old seasons if they're still around, and you don't get $100 worth of silver to go with your $100 price tag, or $whatever worth with each season purchased.

A $15/mth subscription to ESO gives you every single bit of content that's ever been in the game prior to the current expansion while you're subscribed, the crafting bag (which should be baseline tbh), and $15 worth of the silver-equivalent each month. Spending double what D2 costs to play for a year somehow feels better because of how the D2 monetization works.

You don't have to buy it all individually. You just buy the deluxe expansion and you get all the content for the year. It's like $100 CAD a year for me and I don't have to spend a penny more. So like $8.33/month.

edited November 2023

You don't have to buy it all individually. You just buy the deluxe expansion and you get all the content for the year. It's like $100 CAD a year for me and I don't have to spend a penny more. So like $8.33/month.

The deluxe editions are a terrible option if D2 isn't your forever game, in a bit I'll be out ~$40 to no benefit because I wasn't feeling like Destiny for a while and that much of what I paid for was rental content.

I was talking about buying old expansions, they're still not free even though without their seasons they're all completely gutted. I thought you could play seasons from WQ still if you had a bundle, but I guess that's not right.

And the 30th Anniversary Pack is there to remind you that you can be charged more at any time to have access to all content.

And if you want any of the many, many cash shop only cosmetics, they're priced like skins in a F2P game. One silver shop armor per class per year would be another $60 alone, and it's not like they're the kind of skins other games offer with unique dialogue and animations and sfx and whatnot.

Like much of Destiny 2, the monetization is passable if you're completely caught up and stay caught up, outside of outrageous armor cosmetic prices. Like much of Destiny 2, it hates you if you're a new player or only play from time to time.

Kamar on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I feels like you're trying to position this so that no matter what is presented is "not what I meant".

If you buy the deluxe version (which is still available for old expansions) you get everything. If and when I decide to get Final Shape (which is still not a done deal for me personally yet) it will be the deluxe version. When I came back to this game last time, I only bought the "normal" edition of the current year and then had to pay an additional $10 per season as the story got it's hooks into me. And then another $25 for the dungeon. At that point I decided that the additional cost of the "deluxe" version was a much better gamble. Yeah, maybe it's not a great value if you walk away after playing for a month or two, but if you're even considering all of the seasonal and dungeon passes as maybe too much, then I'd suggest you just get over that and buy the deluxe version, and move on with life. If you want to play the content, you're covered, 100%. If you don't play the content, then you're out $20.

SNEAK EDIT - D2 is on sale right now for 1/3 of the normal retail price. If you're even slightly on the fence for past content, jump on it now. The legacy pack gets you all the way up to current year for $25. That seems pretty friendly to new players, in my opinion.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I prefer Destiny 2's "pay for the entire year in one go" subscriptionless model, because it means I don't feel like I "wasted" money if I can't play for a month. "Wasting" money only happens if you literally don't play for an entire year.

Opty wrote: »
    I prefer Destiny 2's "pay for the entire year in one go" subscriptionless model, because it means I don't feel like I "wasted" money if I can't play for a month. "Wasting" money only happens if you literally don't play for an entire year.

Is this under the assumption that you're not buying the "all four premium season battle pass tracks+dungeons" package? Because if not, you can absolutely waste some of your money. I'm pretty sure you can't go back, claim, and earn from premium reward tracks for seasons that have passed. If you paid for the year's content and didn't play during a season, at least part of the money you paid over the box price was wasted.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Is this under the assumption that you're not buying the "all four premium season battle pass tracks+dungeons" package? Because if not, you can absolutely waste some of your money. I'm pretty sure you can't go back, claim, and earn from premium reward tracks for seasons that have passed. If you paid for the year's content and didn't play during a season, at least part of the money you paid over the box price was wasted.

I'm a grumpy old gamer but man this whole idea is weird. Like you're paying money to buy yourself a job. I buy seasons passes for the actual gameplay content. The extra bennies they toss on top I barely engage with. I definitely don't play the game to get those rewards. That's the kind of attitude that would stop me playing pretty quickly.

I'm not saying it isn't a valid way to look at things, especially lately where Bungie is burying more and rarer things in that pass. There is no other way at all to get Deepsight Harmonizers. The rest of it is mostly incidental, you'd always get the exotic if you're on the paid track (and you can claim stuff from older tracks via browser extensions.)

I suppose it wouldn't be the first, second or thirtieth time Bungie set up a thing in reasonable fashion for stated reasons then completely fucked over those reasons by drifting away from the initial idea.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

You can totally go back and claim previous season rewards.

https://www.charlieintel.com/destiny/destiny-2-how-to-claim-past-seasons-rewards-268882/

The caveat is that if you actually didn't play the game for the season you wont have "earned" any rewards.

26904.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Frankly, that's still a big sticking point.

I paid for the deluxe edition of lightfall, but between long COVID and being burned out, I just haven't put the time in. It's the whole FOMO thing, and the fact I can never go "oh yeah, I have this season pass, I'll make it the active track and level it up" is pretty gross

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The season pass stuff sucks but you can still go back and play the seasonal content and get almost everything that you would have from the season pass, all you're missing is the armor ornaments and (generally inessential) exotic weapon. It isn't nothing but you don't miss out on a whole lot, honestly the season pass rewards kind of suck compared to a lot of games.

Also I'd like to know what they're going to put in the season pass now that legendary shards are going away, that padded out a lot of levels.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    The cosmetics are actually a pretty big deal to me to miss out on!

And for a lot of players. Dress up darling is like one of the core motivators in these games, and it's kind a crazy how much bungie has missed that

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    In what way has Bungie missed that?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    Bungie has very much not missed that, that's why they keep releasing $20 skins on the Eververse, and tried to announce that they were no longer even bothering to try and release a ritual armor set once a year because fuck you, give me money.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    l still remember when Bungie said Eververse would pay for Holiday events but they went back on that and limited them a lot unless you pay real money.

That dungeons suddenly was an addon also seemed like an unneccessary layer of sextuple dipping.

At this point I’m just waiting for them to sell raids as a separate addon too.

Edit: Speaking of unsurprising things.

https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/final_shape_release_update

Final Shape delayed to June 4th.

Sirialis on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Genuinely surprised they announced it before Christmas.

In what way has Bungie missed that?

Lack of social spaces to effectively show off (especially things like sparrows), lack of a player housing equivalent, even the ability to pick and choose the visuals you had took a long time to come into the game, and it's initial form was pretty grudging.

That's what it felt like to me at least!

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    My Root raid jacket came in today, looks sick as hell while also being easily easily the nerdiest thing I own that's not overtly a toy.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains

I see there going with the tried and true plan of just completely ignoring the elephant in the room. Cool cool cool.

Love the phrase "Focus on gun based combat" making a comeback. That was the mantra at D2 launch. Everybody loved that PVP environment.

If only the guns were a more interesting aspect of buildcrafting. You sometimes get an exotic that does that, then, OOPS, nerfed.

Monte Carlo gonna get slammed, guaranteed.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    My Root raid jacket came in today, looks sick as hell while also being easily easily the nerdiest thing I own that's not overtly a toy.

Extremely jealous, I have yet to hear about mine beyond "it's coming! Eventually!"

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Bungie has very much not missed that, that's why they keep releasing $20 skins on the Eververse, and tried to announce that they were no longer even bothering to try and release a ritual armor set once a year because fuck you, give me money.

I mean, "literally nobody uses this, why am I spending hundreds of hours making it?" is a pretty decent reason to not toss a ritual set out there. It's instant shards, and now it won't even be that useful.

No one was using them because they looked like ass. And that was a deliberate choice on Bungie's part.

The fuck up there was the tried and true plan of just completely ignoring the elephant in the room.

If they'd pitched publicly dropping the ritual armor set ahead of time it would have been way less of a deal than it turned into. They didn't though, they just ignored it and didn't communicate and wow, it kind of screwed them a bunch in the end.

• drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Frankly, that's still a big sticking point.

I paid for the deluxe edition of lightfall, but between long COVID and being burned out, I just haven't put the time in. It's the whole FOMO thing, and the fact I can never go "oh yeah, I have this season pass, I'll make it the active track and level it up" is pretty gross

I'm just amused by the ESO mention earlier but like, you don't have to deal with a season pass in that game. 😂

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Man, a season from today until June is gonna be....that's a long season

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    They stated that they will at least make additional content after Wish “ends” to make up for it.

f2ensdk79sz5.jpeg

Sirialis on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    "Welcome to tonight's show, I am your host Xur and with me as always is the paracausal horse that neighs through space and time. We have some special guests tonight from a few dimensions turnways over, who have devised a very special obstacle course for the Guardians. According to my notes, they call themselves 'beans...' "

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    "Welcome to tonight's show, I am your host Xur and with me as always is the paracausal horse that neighs through space and time. We have some special guests tonight from a few dimensions turnways over, who have devised a very special obstacle course for the Guardians. According to my notes, they call themselves 'beans...' "

You joke but Final Fantasy 14 DID add a copy of the obstacle course to the Gold Saucer as part of their Fall Guys crossover so...

I see there going with the tried and true plan of just completely ignoring the elephant in the room. Cool cool cool.

Love the phrase "Focus on gun based combat" making a comeback. That was the mantra at D2 launch. Everybody loved that PVP environment.

What is the "elephant in the room" exactly?

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/BWiNtSr3RUc

Launch trailer is out.
    Looks like Season Of The Undying's weapons are back in play.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    If only the guns were a more interesting aspect of buildcrafting. You sometimes get an exotic that does that, then, OOPS, nerfed.

Yuuuuup, look at this brutal nerf it got in the patch, its so fucking dead guys
    Monte Carlo
    The bayonet stab now has controller rumble.

Thats all they did to it. In fact, ALL ARs got a 10% damage buff against red bars lol

Full patch notes: https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/Article/update-7-3-0-patch-notes

Crippl3 on
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Yuuuuup, look at this brutal nerf it got in the patch, its so fucking dead guys
    Monte Carlo
    The bayonet stab now has controller rumble.

Thats all they did to it. In fact, ALL ARs got a 10% damage buff against red bars lol

Full patch notes: https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/Article/update-7-3-0-patch-notes

Bodyslammed through the table!

I didn't mean immediately, but well done <3

Speaking of, I'm going to have to do some testing when I get home, because I'm curious about the Carlo. Specifically, the amount of energy generated per bullet hit is, by all appearances, a small 'chunk.' So I want to see if that is penalized by the hits to energy generation as well. I did a recording last night with the gun to compare it against, so it should be easy to see.

edited November 2023
    Speaking of, I'm going to have to do some testing when I get home, because I'm curious about the Carlo. Specifically, the amount of energy generated per bullet hit is, by all appearances, a small 'chunk.' So I want to see if that is penalized by the hits to energy generation as well. I did a recording last night with the gun to compare it against, so it should be easy to see.

So yeah it looks like Carlo does take a hit, though with the melee in the test (hammer) it wasn't much of one. Likely a larger effect with melees that have a longer cooldown, but between pre-patch and post-patch it's the difference of a few bullets.

https://youtu.be/-2MZv2jxaM4

Nice to satisfy my curiosity, at least.

Also Monte Carlo is bugged (I assume) and is not fully refreshing melee charges despite perks that fully refresh charges not supposed to be being affected lol

https://youtu.be/AqwD0dSzADc?si=Xy-qciT0hL6U1xE-

Also also these orb changes feel exactly as ass as I expected them to.

Dac on