As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WB MultiVersus] is complicated

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    The bots in this game are absolutely fucking insane.

Steven universe more like Steven fucking traps me in the airaverse

I can't fight him. He goes ballistic and I'm constantly bubbled.

King Riptor
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I’ve been loving Jake, as so far the plan of “punch them from a mile away” is pretty solid.

Noxy
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Yeah Harley has some ridiculous combos, you can almost infinite juggle with her. I'm surprised I haven't heard much about the hit stun with her. I've started learning her as it seems a lot of other characters are going to get nerfs.
    I live in fear of the day that Harley's shorthop forward air gets nerfed to no longer true combo into mallet.

Sometimes I feel like I might be playing Harley wrong, since the character select screen classifies her as a vertical KOer but I tend to do most of my work with her more horizontal moves.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Dixon
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Aku (Samurai Jack)
    Yeah... I mean her specials definitely work nicely for that, with the down setting a trap to launch someone and neutral causes straight up on detonation. Honestly wondering how easily you can set up a kill with those two chained into each other. I've killed people by detonating the bomb when they were high up already.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    King RiptorKoopahTroopah
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Gandalf the Grey (Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring)
    I've got Velma, Harley, and Wonder Woman to level 15. Planning to keep leveling more characters up. Might do Jake next. I am in the top 100k of Velmas in 2v2 which might not be that great but I feel good about it. I generally suck at fighting games.

KarozKoopahTroopah
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    The ranking is a bit brutal at the moment, lots of people on the reddit report issues. Seems like if a character isn't your 'most played' character then sometimes you don't get MMR for a win.

My duo's partner was having this issue for almost 20 matches in a row. What's odd for him, is whatever character he played in the last match, the UI shows that character as his 'most played'. We even tested it with a char he has never played before and still did it.

Kristmas Kthulhu
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Dr. Girlfriend (The Venture Bros.)
    Season 1 and Morty are delayed for a week

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I guess people weren't finishing the mini season battle pass but like dude i had it an extra 2 weeks and just barely did it today. The exp you get from daily missions and battle is way to low and the milestones are insane( and way to low for what they ask). Theres no way to buy levels either which isnt ideal but at least its something.

Hopefully they address this because the regular passes are 50 levels and I doubt even with a month its possible to finish unless you grind like hell

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Karoz
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Karoz's were bad and they should feel bad!
    I guess people weren't finishing the mini season battle pass but like dude i had it an extra 2 weeks and just barely did it today. The exp you get from daily missions and battle is way to low and the milestones are insane( and way to low for what they ask). Theres no way to buy levels either which isnt ideal but at least its something.

Hopefully they address this because the regular passes are 50 levels and I doubt even with a month its possible to finish unless you grind like hell

I have admittedly been playing waaaay too much but i started it last tuesday and finished it yesterday. It didn't seem too bad, took me a week and a day

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    Yeah I get a game or two a day so there's no way I'll be able to hit any of them.

King RiptorKaroz
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Part of my deal is unless I get in a particular mood or take some liquid courage I have a hard time doing PvP on the regular.

So yeah, no way I'll be done with the preseason remotely soon.

Bot matches count for missions
    The bots can be Satan though

KarozurahonkyKristmas Kthulhu
    Yeah I guess; to do it in a week I did have to do all my dailies every day. That's typically all i'd do but yeah. And in the course of doing my dailies I did get all the seasonals

Bot matches count for missions
    The bots can be Satan though

Yeah I have a feeling PVP is easier at times lol because these bots are absolute madness.

Noxy
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Season 1 and Morty are delayed for a week

Looking into their announcement on this and it sounds like the pre-season is extended for a week, but there's currently no date for season 1/morty. Maybe it is a safe assumption that season 1 would line up with the pre-season extension....buuut I would think they would just say that?

Would be nice to not get dailies for things I can't do like play a Mage when I don't have any. I guess it's good I get one free reroll.

And yeah, woof, bot matches can be rough. Up against Bugs and Tom and Jerry and good lord they just would not ring out.

Noxy
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    apparently they are removing the character class dailies once season 1 actually starts.

M A G I K A Z A M
    KarozKyanilisNoxyKoopahTroopah
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Bots really surprised me with how cranked up they are. Just unlocked Cake today and I'm really happy with how nice the voice stuff is. She's got different lines and it's been a joy to play as her. Hoping they end up adding Fionna.

Karoz
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I haven't played much yet. I don't mind getting penalties for spamming the same attack but for now I'll say I'm not a big fan of having abilities with cooldowns. Feels weird in a fighting game. So naturally I'm more interested in characters that don't have to many abilities with cooldowns.

Comparing to smash bros I'm imagining Link having to wait like 15 seconds after throwing a bomb before he can throw another one and that would royally suck.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited August 2022
    To be fair, cooldowns you have more powerful skills and more meaningful than just spamming them at your enemy.

Still it is something to get use to as I'm hitting the command and ignoring the cooldown box getting repeatedly highlighted.

Edit: Did some more bot matches to do dailies and coming around on Taz so not regretting his purchase now, still a different beast in PvP but nice to actually get some cooked chicken for a change.

Also the bots major weakness seems to be pits in the middle of the level, I'll just watch them go down them when they could easily wall climb back up.

Karoz on
  • VontreVontre Registered User regular
    Aku (Samurai Jack)
    This game is really good.

I am suspicious of whatever they are doing with input, I get the wrong thing coming out somewhat frequently but I can't pin it down. I've also futzed with the deadzones and can't get it to feel quite right. I did turn down the buffer but it shouldn't cause these kinds of issues. Buffer should just run the latest thing you pressed as soon as you're out of lag, it's almost always helpful. Unless they just did it completely wrong and/or badly which is possible. Like maybe they are reading face button press at a different time than the stick direction... that would be bad lol but is a reasonable noob mistake if they haven't put a lot of effort into the system.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Karoz wrote: »
    Would be nice to not get dailies for things I can't do like play a Mage when I don't have any. I guess it's good I get one free reroll.

Apparently dailies can be done with bots, and since all characters are unlocked for local, you might still be able to knock those out.

Edit: shit nevermind, Karoz already mentioned that.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    As has also been mentioned, the problem with the bots is they're not locked in with you, you're locked in with them :p give me player matches any day

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Just letting people know that the MultiVersus side-tournament at Evo has started at https://www.twitch.tv/multiversus. There's been some brutal downtime so far though, might be working out technical difficulties.

BloodySlothKaroz
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    its run on PC with a fairly time consuming character/perk selection procedure, i imagine the tournament will run behind schedule

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    BloodySlothKing Riptor
    edited August 2022
    P10 wrote: »
    its run on PC with a fairly time consuming character/perk selection procedure, i imagine the tournament will run behind schedule

Yeah the perks will likely be ignored in the future for tournanents

King Riptor on

Will be weird, as there are two perks that make a massive difference for me.

The 'Full charge attacks break armor', and the 'Projectile shield for 2 seconds after being hit by a projectile' are game changers.

Fighting Superman without the former or Velma without the latter is so much more difficult.

that would honestly be a bummer; i love the extra layer of strategy they add

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I highly doubt they will, as Players First are already more involved with the competitive scene than Nintendo has ever been in Smash’s 20 year history, and it seems unlikely official tournaments would shut off a major feature/gold sink. Far more likely you’re forced to commit to a set at the start of the set and you have to stick with it the whole set.

And with that being said: equip Triple Jump in 2s, I am begging you.

YL9WnCY.png
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I have a feeling we might see triple jump get reworked since I think that was in like, 90% of the evo comp builds.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited August 2022
    Oh it’s busted in 2s. Can’t see how they’d nerf the stack without making it useless. Maybe it just refreshes your aerial kit when you hit someone? So you get the jump and your aerial dodges and specials back.

Tazmanian Trigonometry is also strong. Winning a lot of matches due to the longevity.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    Alright I think I'm done polishing up the OP though I dunno how well I'll keep up with the individual classes, probably just switch to individual pics and and links to their wiki page...god dammit, not done yet.

Anywho, does anyone remember how much gold you give and receive for toasting someone?

My duo's partner and I were sick of getting matches with Velma. You are basically forced to chase her down and it is just constant.

We decided the best way to counter this was to both roll as Velma.

We went on to win at least 10 matches in a row, half the time without either of us dying once. It's just so many projectiles the opposing team can't really do anything.

I think there needs to be better methods of countering projectiles but I'm not sure how they do it without some core game mechanic rework.

In 2s projectiles are hard to counter because either your partner is in front of you or the projectile counter leaves you open to attack from their partner.

And some counters are janky, like Taz’s special needs decent timing. The character is also so short some projectiles like Shaggy’s sandwich will just go over his head regardless.

YL9WnCY.png
    WHEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I dub the OP donezo (for now...zo)

Tried out some character in the Lab, Velma was interesting but will see how she pans out after Evo. Iron Giant and Tom and Jerry seem to be my next purchases when I build up the gold.

Still worried about the indefinite pause on release though.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    KarozDixontaliosfalconKristmas KthulhuKoopahTroopah
    edited August 2022
    Sweet, thanks for the code.

Starting doing 1v1’s with Velma. It’s so easy to punish everyone with the beam.

Poor Shaggy really wants to go Super Saiyan.

Dixon on
    KarozKoopahTroopah
    Yeah I don't care what people say, having all your perks and signature perk does make a big difference in these 2v2s.

I know I should be teaming up with folks but when I just want to do randos it's tiring to have me and another low level vs a maxxed team probably on comms.

King Riptor

Velma skin idea and yes you know what that means for Shaggy

KoopahTroopahFencingsax
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Was not expecting to enjoy this cause I never could get into Smash and none of the characters get me too excited (so far) but damn, they really knocked it out of the park. The emphasis on speed and mobility and letting the characters do more makes it much more fun for a trash player like me cause I don't need to learn high level stuff to do cool things. None of the characters get me terribly excited (yet, the roster is so all over the place I'm sure I'll lose my mind over an addition at some point) but they play so damn well I don't really care and am having fun trying who I have so far out. This might be the game to get me back into the fightans cause I used to be a big MVC3 fan but fell out of it due to trash internet in a remote area (lemme tell you how annoying it is to be able to do Doom loops in your sleep and then consistently drop them due to internet) and by the time I got to Seattle I was just generally trash and not feeling anything out at the moment.

Tried Garnet last night to give a Bruiser a try instead of playing Superman because lol Armor and she may not be fancy but I do love me some straight to the point characters that just spend whole matches like
    https://youtu.be/1kXU14hkuSI

I may not have tricks but I do have fists the size of an entire person that will punch you into orbit. Batman looks fun as fuck too with the grapplehook shenanigans and might be my next unlock.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png