As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Don't wanna buy our $600 GPU? Well fine, we're not making any!

19596979899101»

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »
    What is path tracing? Another lighting technique or something different?

[Edit] And someone tell me I'm stupid and/or crazy for considering a 7900xt or 4070 level card when I already have a 6700xt that performs wonderfully.

Path tracing is ray tracing, but a bit more accurate/true.

Modern ray traced games tend to pick and choose what surfaces will interact with light, and do all sorts of tricks to keep performance in line.

Path tracing, at least as implemented in cyberpunk, says "fuck that" and not only lets the raytraced lighting interact with everything, but they increase the "bounce" of light out many times over, meaning light bouncing off of a shiny red surface to the sidewalk, or under-cabinet lights hitting a white marble backsplash which in turn helps illuminate a room - will much more closely mimic the reality of how light does these things. All of this comes with a massive performance hit. On a 4090, this is more or less impossible to do without DLSS and frame generation.

And while you ABSOLUTELY can see the difference and the fact we can even do this is stunning, it does not make the game itself any better - regular balls-out raytracing on cyberpunk, what was formerly called psycho, is now attainable at whatever resolution you want to play at on the modern high end (7900 xtx / 4080 for 1440p) and halo cards (4090 for 4k really).

Meanwhile, the 7900xtx gets ~10fps at 1440p with path tracing.

I think, long term, this tech will see wide adoption, because it dramatically reduces dev time around lighting models. You can focus on lighting the same way a cinematographer or DP does, with less engineering and more artistry.

As it stands, it only exists to showcase how nice your rig is.

I saw some of the Cyberpunk path-trace videos on Youtube. Some of the footage is absolutely stunning. Some seems a little out of place. In the comments they mentioned that's because the path-tracing can essentially undo some of the aesthetically designed manually placed lighting in some scenes.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    What is path tracing? Another lighting technique or something different?

[Edit] And someone tell me I'm stupid and/or crazy for considering a 7900xt or 4070 level card when I already have a 6700xt that performs wonderfully.

Since no one else said it, you're crazy. :p

But if you do wind up with a 6700xt that needs a new home...

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Is the price/performance ratio for a new thread worse than an Nvidia GPU? :)

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Wait until I'm no longer with the company to recommend my graphics, smh. I see how it is :V

My
    Also, if anyone was hoping for the AMD 7600 to be a good low-end alternative, I have bad news

Gonna ride my 1050 Ti until it dies at this point.

Honestly, if the drivers get sorted, you should be paying attention to Intel ARC.

Yep. Outside of the drivers, my biggest issue is that they're kinda long cards, and I'm running in an old case with a drive cage that limits card length. :p

From what I've read the drivers are... okay now?

But yeah, either you got 11.5" or you don't for the card.

Best I can tell, my case has 279 mm available. Newegg says the A750 is 280 mm.

Whomp whomp.

The card itself is 268.6 mm, with the I/O bracket is 279.9

So that last few MM is actually the top of your bracket

What case do you have?

Wait, I just noticed this. Why would length measurements include the bracket? Does that have any meaningful use?

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    My
    Also, if anyone was hoping for the AMD 7600 to be a good low-end alternative, I have bad news

Honestly, if the drivers get sorted, you should be paying attention to Intel ARC.

Yep. Outside of the drivers, my biggest issue is that they're kinda long cards, and I'm running in an old case with a drive cage that limits card length. :p

Whomp whomp.

What case do you have?

Wait, I just noticed this. Why would length measurements include the bracket? Does that have any meaningful use?

I just saw how your case is laid out so it looks like it does matter. I'm not sure why they include the bracketed measurement.

Is that HDD bay removable?

jungleroomx on
    My

Whomp whomp.

What case do you have?

I just saw how your case is laid out so it looks like it does matter. I'm not sure why they include the bracketed measurement.

Is that HDD bay removable?

Anything’s removable with the right tools.

ThawmusCommander ZoomjungleroomxPailryderShadowfirezagdrob
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    The 7900 is a bit cheaper at $900
    Spoit wrote: »
    Don't go the 7900xt, it's a significant downgrade from the $100 more xtx

Sapphire's 7900xt actually sits at 780$ on Newegg now; the gap varies from 150-200$ based on the company.

V1m
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    People are talking up the A750. What's the concensus on the A770?

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Endaro wrote: »

Sapphire's 7900xt actually sits at 780$ on Newegg now; the gap varies from 150-200$ based on the company.

Looking at r/buildapcsales, it looks like the XFX 7900 XTX has been down to $940...which is still $160, so at the low end of the range you mentioned. Even with that large of a difference, I'm still not sure the XT is worth it

steam_sig.png
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular

Looking at r/buildapcsales, it looks like the XFX 7900 XTX has been down to $940...which is still $160, so at the low end of the range you mentioned. Even with that large of a difference, I'm still not sure the XT is worth it

The XT is pretty much exactly 5/6th of an XTX and is now generally 5/6th the price, allowing for rounding to the nearest 10. Initially it was 9/10ths the price of an XTX which was indeed bad value.

Both are overpriced compared to the 6800xt an 6900xt.

Thawmus
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Well the good news is my new computer starts up. Temps are stable. It sees all my HDs and the rest of the hardware. Bad news is it just brings up the BIOS screen. It won't boot up.

Edit: Fixed. The hard drive didn't survive when the old motherboard bit the dust. New HD, new Windows install and it's purring like a kitten.

Poketpixie on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Did you install an OS? If you did redo it with all drives by 1 plugged in.

• jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    People are talking up the A750. What's the concensus on the A770?

10% better for 50% more.

I wouldn’t

jungleroomx
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited May 2023

Fair.

To be honest, the current GPU market seems to be designed as a frustrating ladder exercise.

A person could start off intending to get a 6700xt, but become convinced a 6800xt makes more sense; with the current sales, it's quite a lot of card for the money (and a bargain compared to a year or two ago).
    But if you're going to spend that much, you might as well get the 4070 for all the current Nvidia benefits (DLSS, framegen, better raytracing etc). But then again, the VRAM stinks and you'd get much better rasterization if you just bumped up to a 6950.
    Ofcourse, if you're buying a 6950 you're not far from a 7900xt, which would get you more of everything at less power consumption. But if you look up a 7900xt, all the reviews say to skip and just get the 7900xtx; a way better deal.
    Though, if you're paying for top of the line AMD, you've obviously got a lot of discretionary income. Why not just go up to a 4080 or even 4090? Why settle?

Before you know it, someone planning to spend 300-400 has more than tripled their budget. I can't imagine trying to navigate it as a first time builder.

Endaro on
    Doctor DetroitV1mFeloniousmozDrovekAldoThawmusCampyBullheadSatsumomo
  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Oh man, fuck you Amazon. 95% of the new PC picked up from MicroCenter last night, just waiting on the CPU cooler and a 5-pack of case fans that are supposed to arrive sometime today, and then get an email an hour ago saying they should be here tomorrow by 10pm. And the cooler, the actually vital piece, I could have had delivered overnight so it would have been here at 7am, but I thought it'd be good to just have them both come together at the same time, be environmentally conscious and cut down the number of trips and boxes.

FUCK!

Ahem.

Sorry. That was somewhat surprising in just how frustrating/depressing that development was.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
    PoketpixieCampy
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    When video card hunting I now just look at the framerates it’s getting on 1440p and bump up one level for some future proofing and also because I have an ultra wide.

Removes a lot of that incremental price/performance waffling if you just know your target resolution and desired performance.

Like, if I wasn’t into AAA games at all I could have gotten away with a 6700XT. A friend built his PC at the same time as me and went that way because while he’s also targeting 1440p he mostly plays older games and AA games so a 6700XT is fine.

That’s why I see cards like the 4080 and eeehhh. Nice feature set but more card than I need, with a price to match.

I’m curious what the 7800XT performance is going to be like. I’m not expecting much after seeing the 7900s but if it’s got a good performance bump over the 6800XT and better ray tracing I might consider an upgrade, price depending.

-Loki- wrote: »
    When video card hunting I now just look at the framerates it’s getting on 1440p and bump up one level for some future proofing and also because I have an ultra wide.

Removes a lot of that incremental price/performance waffling if you just know your target resolution and desired performance.

Like, if I wasn’t into AAA games at all I could have gotten away with a 6700XT. A friend built his PC at the same time as me and went that way because while he’s also targeting 1440p he mostly plays older games and AA games so a 6700XT is fine.

That’s why I see cards like the 4080 and eeehhh. Nice feature set but more card than I need, with a price to match.

I’m curious what the 7800XT performance is going to be like. I’m not expecting much after seeing the 7900s but if it’s got a good performance bump over the 6800XT and better ray tracing I might consider an upgrade, price depending.

The 7800XT will, as far as we know, be the N32 die: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/amd-navi-32.g1000

Like the N31, it's 5nm but the full die only has 64 CUs compared to N31's 96

From what we've seen of RDNA3 so far, the 7800XT is likely to be between the 6800XT and 6900XT, and maybe even a little slower than the 6950XT.

The 6950XT and the 7900XT both have 80 CUs, and according to the Techpowerup GPU database, the 7900XT is ~15% faster.

Its a crude calculation, but assuming that similar scaling of N32's CUs applies, 115% of 64 is 73.6, which places it marginally above the 72CU 6800XT. If we prefer to use the lower clocked 6900XT as the baseline CU to compare to the 7900XT, then the 7800XT gets a notional 25% uplift; 64 +25% = 80 - which puts it dead on where the 6900XT is.

If AMD have managed to fix whatever it is that's holding RDNA3 back from the performance they obviously expected, then the N32 cards may do better, but if they do they'll be treading right on the toes of the 7900XT.

If they haven't fixed the problem, then AMD will have to make some very uncomfortable pricing decisions - because I'm seeing 6800XTs at £480 and 6900XTs at £560 (I assume dollar prices are more or less the same numbers). It's going to be very difficult indeed for AMD to charge any more than £600/$600 for the 7800XT in that marketplace.

Which is, I assume, why they're in no great hurry to release it. By delaying, they can hope that the stock of RDNA2 cards clears and also they might be able to get a bit more performance out of the N31 cards meanwhile. But until at least one of those things happens, there's not a great deal of room for N32.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Fair enough. If the 7800XT isn’t much of a bump up from the 6800XT I get to save some money and wait a generation for RDNA4. No biggie.

edited May 2023
    Obviously the above is very much assuming assumptions. Wait for benchmarks, etc. But I don't see how it can be all that far out from what to expect.

Edit: ***WARNING*** Speculation! ***WARNING***

As I mentioned above, it's pretty obvious that something about RDNA3 didn't pan out like they were expecting. They put Lisa Su on a stage in front of the public, and she told the world that RDNA3 would be a 50%+ jump in perf/watt over RDNA2. Which it definitely isn't. Also all the leak sites were unanimous that there was going to be a large jump in clock speed, which again, kinda didn't pan out. So something has gone wrong compared with what AMD were planning - this much is obvious from how they were taking and the way they've structured their N31 release and so on. I'm guessing it's that they thought they were going to be getting 400-600mhz higher clock speeds for the same or less watts than they're putting through those GPUs now, and that aint what's happened. But it's conceivable that there will be an RDNA3 refresh where they fix whatever bug is causing this and that's why they keeping their moufs shut and holding back on releasing a full range of SKUs.

V1m on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Fair.

To be honest, the current GPU market seems to be designed as a frustrating ladder exercise.

A person could start off intending to get a 6700xt, but become convinced a 6800xt makes more sense; with the current sales, it's quite a lot of card for the money (and a bargain compared to a year or two ago).
    But if you're going to spend that much, you might as well get the 4070 for all the current Nvidia benefits (DLSS, framegen, better raytracing etc). But then again, the VRAM stinks and you'd get much better rasterization if you just bumped up to a 6950.
    Ofcourse, if you're buying a 6950 you're not far from a 7900xt, which would get you more of everything at less power consumption. But if you look up a 7900xt, all the reviews say to skip and just get the 7900xtx; a way better deal.
    Though, if you're paying for top of the line AMD, you've obviously got a lot of discretionary income. Why not just go up to a 4080 or even 4090? Why settle?

Before you know it, someone planning to spend 300-400 has more than tripled their budget. I can't imagine trying to navigate it as a first time builder.

Yeah, not a first time builder but this is causing me to tear my hair out currently. I'm currently running a 980 Ti, so well overdue for an upgrade. I initially was considering a 3060 Ti, but then part of me thinks the 4060 Ti is right there, but the VRAM for that isn't great considering it's newness so maybe I should consider a 6700 XT, but - and so on, and so on.

Honestly I might just bite the bullet on the 3060 Ti considering their current price, then aim to upgrade again in two or three years.

BahamutZERO
    I think they key is to be straight with yourself: how much is it actuallyworth to you to be able to play games more fancy-like? That figure? That's your budget. Get the best deal you can and do not be ant-lioned into spending more.

Like I could certainly pay for a 4090 if I wanted to buy one right now, but I'd much rather have other things that much money could buy. Nvidia, and to a barely lesser extent, AMD have lost sight of the fact that the 4080 isn't just competing with the 7900XTX, it's also competing with a new bike or a holiday or just saving the money against a rainy day. But we should keep sight of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MedF-al1quU

Doctor DetroitDrovekjungleroomxEtheaOrcatsmvengyBahamutZEROIanatorCommander ZoomBurnageShadowfire
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    It's getting to be new thread time. I started this one but I would like to pass the baton to someone who has more time and energy than myself to update with hilarious thread titles.

steam_sig.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    But yeah, the 6700 is a much better buy than both companies new low-end cards. Just like a 6950 is probably worth considering instead of some of the next tier up ones

steam_sig.png
    Drovek
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Yeah, the 6950 is dropping in price. I could get one now for about $600 and I'm seriously contemplating it.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Drovek
    Yeah, the 6950 is dropping in price. I could get one now for about $600 and I'm seriously contemplating it.

It's a pretty good 1440p card if you are OK with turning RT effects to Low, I am told. I won't lie, a £480 6800XT is also very tempting to me.

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    I've run into a sticky problem with a new build and I am really hoping there's someone with more recent memory or skills than I that might be able to help. If so, please let me know what I could try next or what other info I need to gather.

All but the graphics card are brand new, that I've moved over. Installed Win11 (after needing to flash the bios and clear CMOS on the MB to get it to post), clean drivers for everything, etc. Haven't had a crash, temps look good. However, I get periodic lag that affects audio, video, input, etc. Youtube videos will cut out, typing input appears 5-10 seconds after typed. This can happen every 20 seconds, or it can go 20 minutes with no issues, then happen again. It corresponds directly with high DPC routine execution time measured in LatencyMon.

The system:
    7800x3d
    G.SKILL Flare X5 32GB DDR5 6000 F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
    ASRock B650E PG RIPTIDE WIFI
    Samsung 980Pro 2TB m.2
    NZXT C850 PSU
    GeForce RTX 3070

High latency from (depending, any one of these might be the highest, but all are enough to trigger the warning in LatencyMon):
    wdf01000.sys
    ACPI.sys
    nvlddmkm.sys
    ntoskrnl.exe

Tried:
    All Windows updates
    Disabled High Precision Event Timer device
    Uninstalled realtek audio
    RAM EXPO and non-EXPO settings
    Clean install of graphics drivers, AMD Chipset drivers.
    Disable/Enable Network adapter (Killer E3100G)
    Turned off wireless card, onboard graphics in bios
    Turned power management to performance in CRTL panel and Settings
    Turned off USB selective suspend
    Turned off PCI-E link state power management
    Started trying to set processor affinity for some of the services, but some I can't find in task manager, and this is a cludge anyway.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth - this did actually say it found corruption and fixed it
    sfc /scannow

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    I've run into a sticky problem with a new build and I am really hoping there's someone with more recent memory or skills than I that might be able to help. If so, please let me know what I could try next or what other info I need to gather.

All but the graphics card are brand new, that I've moved over. Installed Win11 (after needing to flash the bios and clear CMOS on the MB to get it to post), clean drivers for everything, etc. Haven't had a crash, temps look good. However, I get periodic lag that affects audio, video, input, etc. Youtube videos will cut out, typing input appears 5-10 seconds after typed. This can happen every 20 seconds, or it can go 20 minutes with no issues, then happen again. It corresponds directly with high DPC routine execution time measured in LatencyMon.

The system:
    7800x3d
    Samsung 980Pro 2TB m.2
    NZXT C850 PSU
    GeForce RTX 3070

High latency from (depending, any one of these might be the highest, but all are enough to trigger the warning in LatencyMon):
    wdf01000.sys
    ACPI.sys
    nvlddmkm.sys
    ntoskrnl.exe

Tried:
    All Windows updates
    Started trying to set processor affinity for some of the services, but some I can't find in task manager, and this is a cludge anyway.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth - this did actually say it found corruption and fixed it
    sfc /scannow

There was an issue last year with Ryzen machines's fTPM that would cause random hitches in the entire system like you describe every time it was accessed. But AMD released a bios update to fix it, assuming your board manufacturer implemented it. Is there any newer bios available for your motherboard? Win11 and various other functions require a working TPM so you can't just disable it (unless you want to replace it with a separate hardware module).

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    V1m
    edited May 2023
    Yeah, everything I see says that fixes to that came in late '22, and I have the latest bios (it wouldn't even post with the bios that came on the board).

But you've given me something new to search, because I see some reports of it still happening a couple months ago. Maybe I can try turning tpm off temporarily (have not don't this before, so I'll have to look into whether I even can, or if I need to get a hardware one first).

cncaudata on
    edited May 2023
    cncaudata wrote: »

The system:
    7800x3d
    Samsung 980Pro 2TB m.2
    NZXT C850 PSU
    GeForce RTX 3070

wdf01000.sys
    ACPI.sys
    nvlddmkm.sys
    ntoskrnl.exe

Tried:
    All Windows updates

sfc /scannow

There was an issue last year with Ryzen machines's fTPM that would cause random hitches in the entire system like you describe every time it was accessed. But AMD released a bios update to fix it, assuming your board manufacturer implemented it. Is there any newer bios available for your motherboard? Win11 and various other functions require a working TPM so you can't just disable it (unless you want to replace it with a separate hardware module).

Well, I've got TPM disabled in the bios and it's maybe... Better? But I am pretty sure the underlying problem is still there because latencymon is *almost* at the threshold for errors, when my understanding is that most dpc processes should be finishing near instantly, and I'm not even under any load.

So, I'll continue to monitor but I'd love any other ideas.

cncaudata on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

It's a pretty good 1440p card if you are OK with turning RT effects to Low, I am told. I won't lie, a £480 6800XT is also very tempting to me.

I bought the 6950XT for about $900 CAD earlier this year (which was about half of the card's original price here) and it is more than solid at 1440p.

In most games it can either max out or come close to maxing out my 165hz 1440p panel. I do not play with ray tracing on, since that roughly halves the fram rate, and it isn't worth it to me.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Made a new one.

@Echo or any other mod can we get this one locked down?

Commander ZoomDoctor DetroitBullhead
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Grumble grumble.

Commander ZoomjungleroomxMugsleyDoctor Detroit
This discussion has been closed.