As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Don't wanna buy our $600 GPU? Well fine, we're not making any!

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Gah my tiny ssd is finally catching up with me. It only ever has 150 gig available even with nothing installed on it. I’d add another but there’s not enough space on the motherboard or something? I’ll have to replace it, which I have no idea how to do, time to start researching

Alternatively why the heck does this presumably 225 gig drive or whatever always have so much space taken up by default? Is there any way to check what’s taking up that space

You could always add a sata ssd instead of try to replace that (what I'm guessing is) nvme boot drive. They're cheaper and just for game stuff they're plenty fast.

There's not a huge price delta these days. I can see a 500GB Samsung 980 on Amazon for 60 bucks, and half a TB will be enough for a boot drive for a long while yet.

ThawmusPailryder
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    fastest external, if you have a thunderbolt 3 or 4 port, is an NVMe external chassis that connects over thunderbolt.

It is effectively the same speed as an internal NVMe drive.

Those chassis are a little pricy though if you want full blown 40Gb/s speed.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I agree, would be good to know what motherboard you have. Does it have a second M.2 SSD slot?

steam_sig.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Just a thing to keep in mind

DirectStorage, the Microsoft implementation of the GPU accessing assets on storage directly, requires NVME.

If that's a thing that's important to you, then I would consider it

DixonV1m
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    EVGA 3070 FTW3 down to $520 US. The 3xxx series is still slightly early for me for an upgrade (went 780 -> 1080) but I worry that a 4xxx card won't be worth the price premium.

• RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Thinking of putting a 3080ti in my new rig that I'm customizing. Have been looking at builds on Ibuypower, NZXT and Origin. Still not sure on the site I wanna grab it from but getting there.

Wanting to have it with a 3080ti, pure ssd (build I put together has 2 4TBs) and has 32gbs of DDR4. Maybe a bit of overkill but my present rig is old and sporting only a 970. I don't want to have to worry about the parts for a while.

Not sure on the CPU. Present CPU is an older Phenom II from AMD.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
    Zen4 launches September 15, so if you're planning this rig to lat 10 years I reckon it's worth seeing what that brings to the table.

MulletudeübergeekSpoit
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    32Gb isn't overkill if you can afford it. I went with 16Gb due to RAM pricing, which was out of control at the time, and have regretted it ever since. Games are getting big and I play stuff like Warhammer 3 which loves RAM. It's one the list of things to upgrade but money is tight atm.

V1mPailryder
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    IMO, 16 GB is entry level, 32 GB for some grunt/longevity. 64 GB is still excessive for gaming purposes but too much RAM has never slowed anybody down.

It's like CPU cores. Anything sporting less than 8 cores isn't going to last.

If you plan to replace your computer in a year or two, NBD. If you don't, well, be ready to start dialing graphics quality back a few years from now.

danx wrote: »
    32Gb isn't overkill if you can afford it. I went with 16Gb due to RAM pricing, which was out of control at the time, and have regretted it ever since. Games are getting big and I play stuff like Warhammer 3 which loves RAM. It's one the list of things to upgrade but money is tight atm.

You can always go buy more RAM.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

You can always go buy more RAM.

Or just download some.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    BahamutZEROminor incidentDrovekjungleroomxaltidMugsleySyngyneThawmusFoolOnTheHillTrajan45Burnagean_alt
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I went 32gb in 4x8gb form entirely for looks. I've never had full ram slots and since I was going a bit overkill on the system I figured why not.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Ya, I mean, the rigs I had been putting together of the sites I listed come to something around 3.7-4k and I am just fine with that price. In fact, I think I said earlier that I had a budget of something like 4.5-5k USD.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Ya, I mean, the rigs I had been putting together of the sites I listed come to something around 3.7-4k and I am just fine with that price. In fact, I think I said earlier that I had a budget of something like 4.5-5k USD.

With that kind of budget, you could look at waiting for the Zen 4 chips and ddr5 ram. They release mid September. That and new gpu's are just over the horizon. If you're looking for something with long legs it could be worth waiting just a month or two to piece one together.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    V1mRightfulSin
    BTW if you don't have vast hoards of media files and stuff, I strongly endorse the all-SSD notion. It's definitely quieter, and cooler and puts less strain on your PSU and motherboard when starting up. And it really is nice being able to move data from hither to thither so very quickly.

Is it more expensive? Yes, of course. But to put it in context, I can buy a quality marque 2TB SATA SSD for exactly what I paid for a 6.4GB IBM 5400rpm (with a chonk 512kb cache!) back in 1997. Before inflation.

And let me tell you all: having a 2TB SSD just for audiobooks, ebooks and music is sweet. It feels good. Having another one for all my DVD rips is also nice. Knowing that those DVDs are physically packed away in in the crawlspace and I can instantly and silently start any of those films or episodes from an SSD feels great.

-Loki-htman_alt

With that kind of budget, you could look at waiting for the Zen 4 chips and ddr5 ram. They release mid September. That and new gpu's are just over the horizon. If you're looking for something with long legs it could be worth waiting just a month or two to piece one together.

Might do that, pending my present rig doesn't crap out before then. I was looking into it because my cousin had his rig die and he got a newer prebuild from Amazon (economy build at 754 all taxes and such.) And was just going "hmm.. It's not long before mine probably goes and I got the cash." When I told him what I was putting up as my budget he looked shocked and jealous :).

So ya I might do that waiting game, wasn't going to order right away anyhow. Just wanting to get my feelers out and see what people think about some of those PC build sites.

Intel 13xxx series chips are coming soon too and Intel is back in the fight with AMD so you're going to have some good fun choices to make with your new pc.

V1mjungleroomxSyngyneFrem
    edited August 2022
    Had a question about ram. I currently have 16gb of ddr4 3600.

I read you want to try to match exactly if you add ram. The ram I have isn't available from any retailer I've checked. If I go with a different brand of ddr4 3600 could that cause problems? Is there a way to do that and have it work ok?

Wanting to bump up to 32 since I've upgraded my gpu and cpu just recently to have a machine that can last me another 5 years or so, hopefully.

Mulletude on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Had a question about ram. I currently have 16gb of ddr4 3600.

I read you want to try to match exactly if you add ram. The ram I have isn't available from any retailer I've checked. If I go with a different brand of ddr4 3600 could that cause problems? Is there a way to do that and have it work ok?

Wanting to bump up to 32 since I've upgraded my gpu and cpu just recently to have a machine that can last me another 5 years or so, hopefully.

It is best that if you have different brands of RAM, that the speed and all the timings match. So it can't just be 3600, you also need to look at if it's CL 16 or 14, stuff like that. Otherwise, it will set the speeds to whatever is lower of the two and XMP might not work.

camo_sig.png
    BahamutZEROV1m
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    You can hypothetically mix different RAM kits but it can also cause problems. When they sell RAM in sets it's units that have been tested by the manufacturer to work correctly together, and that's generally recommended as it avoids a lot of annoying little problems.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    V1m
    That's what I was afraid of.

I'll just look at grabbing a 32gb pack at some point.

You won't see a noticeable difference if you get another set of 3600 even if it isn't matched latency.

That's what I was afraid of.

I'll just look at grabbing a 32gb pack at some point.

Yes this is the sensible choice. Sell the 16GB pair or something. DDR4 is pretty cheap now.

edited August 2022
    well well well

"Crypto-driven GPU crash makes Nvidia miss Q2 projections by $1.4 billion"
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/08/crypto-driven-gpu-crash-makes-nvidia-miss-q2-projections-by-1-4-billion/

wonder if they were dumb enough to bank on the cryptomining demand never collapsing

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    PailryderBullheadBetsuniCantido
    They were probably simply hoping for just one more quarter of sweet sweet cryptoboom profits, and cryptoboom demand to soak up the existing 3000 series stocks. It all ended a lot more suddenly than expected.

Now they have to sell 4000s made on a very expensive process into a depression era market awash with cheap ex-mining GPUs.

DrovekDoodmannjungleroomxCampyBetsuniCantido
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yeah, I think the case was always going to be that the companies would keep thinking that the crypto miners would increase their profits every quarter until they didn't. And then they'd reset.

remember quarterly results are always lagging indicators. The guidance for the quarter that just ended was likely largely built about 4 months ago, maybe closer to 5. Companies can revise their guidance mid quarter, and some do more regularily than others. But it is relatively reasonable to assume that 4 or 5 months ago nvidia still throught there would be more money in the crypto industry.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    V1m
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    What did the tweet say? It's not visible on my end.

What did the tweet say? It's not visible on my end.
    Crypto-driven GPU crash makes Nvidia miss Q2 projections by $1.4 billion

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    danx
    edited August 2022
    and links to an ars technica article, sorry forgot we're supposed to summarize tweets for those who can't embed https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/08/crypto-driven-gpu-crash-makes-nvidia-miss-q2-projections-by-1-4-billion/

In related news, EVGA seems to be massively slashing the price on 3080 and higher SKUs, 3090ti's for $500-$800 off the original prices, they clearly have a glut of high end 3000 series stock that isn't moving. I assume the other partners will be having similar dead inventory issues.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    DrovekOrcaCormachtmBullheadBetsuni
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    and links to an ars technica article, sorry forgot we're supposed to summarize tweets for those who can't embed https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/08/crypto-driven-gpu-crash-makes-nvidia-miss-q2-projections-by-1-4-billion/

In related news, EVGA seems to be massively slashing the price on 3080 and higher SKUs, 3090ti's for $500-$800 off the original prices, they clearly have a glut of high end 3000 series stock that isn't moving. I assume the other partners will be having similar dead inventory issues.

Good. GPUs need to get cheaper. These companies aren't going to go bankrupt anytime soon. They're fat on the crypto glut and could stand to slim down a bit.

DrovekOrcaübergeekjungleroomxV1mFremCampyPailryderIanatorBullheadBetsuniCantido
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I don't think Nvidia is actually surprised by this. They have stated publicly ever since the first crypto boom that the crypto booms are bad and result in the market falling out like this.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I don't think Nvidia is actually surprised by this. They have stated publicly ever since the first crypto boom that the crypto booms are bad and result in the market falling out like this.

Which is precisely why they over-saturated the market, sold expensive parts to their AIB partners, and then got raked over the coals by those same AIBs not wanting ANY 4000 stock until they could get rid of the expensive 3000 stock they were sold in a booming market.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    übergeekFremMechMantisBetsuni
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

I remember there being in the risks part of the disclosure back in 2020 that one of them was the crypto market falling out again.

I'm sure that's still there for their quarterly guidance.

LD50
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    The fun part is how it'll affect the 4000 series pricing. I vaguely remember Nvidia pricing the 2000 series high to cash in on a crypto boom that had just bust. It didn't work especially well at the time.

OrcaDrovek
    altid wrote: »
    The fun part is how it'll affect the 4000 series pricing. I vaguely remember Nvidia pricing the 2000 series high to cash in on a crypto boom that had just bust. It didn't work especially well at the time.

I thought they priced the 2000 series high because "hey look this offers the same performance as the 1000 series cards but now with ray tracing! Ray tracing is totally worth 20% higher prices!"

Synthesis
    edited August 2022
    Drovek wrote: »

Which is precisely why they over-saturated the market, sold expensive parts to their AIB partners, and then got raked over the coals by those same AIBs not wanting ANY 4000 stock until they could get rid of the expensive 3000 stock they were sold in a booming market.

That leaves Nvidia in a bit of a fork because if they fuck around too long, then AMD will cheerfully launch RDNA3 and obsolete that 3000 stock anyway. Which is why both Nvidia and AMD (who are absolutely not a duopoly and would never come to a discrete informal agreement about how to handle this), are releasing their top-end SKUs - the ones that have no performance competitors - fairly soon, and the merely mid-high SKUs which would compete with those beautiful $1200 3080ti and $1000 6900s... next year.

Intel are at least 2 more generations away from being in a position to disrupt this not arrangement, and that's assuming they don't can the project.

V1m on
    Orca
    I mean, any company should be selling the most products that have the highest profit margin over products that have low profit margin, that's how for profit companies make money. That is hardly exclusive to the GPU industry. The business I work in spends a lot of time trying to find ways to get people to buy higher margin items instead of lower margin items and I work for a company in an industry that's about as far away from GPU's as you can get.

Are you in a manufacturing industry that's :sadface: about only getting 45% margins now?

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

That leaves Nvidia in a bit of a fork because if they fuck around too long, then AMD will cheerfully launch RDNA3 and obsolete that 3000 stock anyway. Which is why both Nvidia and AMD (who are absolutely not a duopoly and would never come to a discrete informal agreement about how to handle this), are releasing their top-end SKUs - the ones that have no performance competitors - fairly soon, and the merely mid-high SKUs which would compete with those beautiful $1200 3080ti and $1000 6900s... next year.

Intel are at least 2 more generations away from being in a position to disrupt this not arrangement, and that's assuming they don't can the project.

Are they? The Arc Pros that just launched seem to indicate they're making headway to gpu competition

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »

Are they? The Arc Pros that just launched seem to indicate they're making headway to gpu competition

There are some pretty serious issues with performance in dx11 games, which still make up a bunch of titles. They've openly admitted that 'fixing' dx11 performance is going to be a long and hard road, emphasis on long.

This discussion has been closed.