As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Don't wanna buy our $600 GPU? Well fine, we're not making any!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I could see a use for 128 GB if you are doing a bunch of video editing, IIRC video editing fuckin' loves having RAM to cache raw footage you're scrubbing around in

BahamutZERO.gif
    tsmvengyGnomeTankBetsuni
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Marty81 wrote: »
    So I’ve got a build put together on pcpartpicker but it’s telling me that it can’t check for certain things like cpu cooler RAM clearance. How do I go about doing that? This is not my first build, but it will be my first time using a non-stock CPU cooler, and I want to make sure that everything is going to fit. I’m not interested in AIO coolers since they have projected life spans of 5 years and I plan to use the machine for the next 6-8 years.

Link to build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CPsxRv

(Ignore the video card. That’s a placeholder / wishlist item that I might upgrade to in a year or two. The actual video card for now will be a 1060 gtx that I’ll harvest from my current build.)

You have to look up the cooler's dimensions and the motherboard RAM layout yourself but in this case that model will not block off any RAM slots, I think, it's a very moderately sized cooler.

128 GB of RAM is a lot! Do you have a specific use in mind for that? Video editing? If you don't have a specific use case it might be better to get less but more expensive RAM with higher clockspeed.

If you're gonna shell out the premium for a 5950x and 128 GB of RAM, I'd also shell out for a bigger cooler, and maybe a slightly more premium motherboard, though the current mobo would work, it just feels weird seeing a top end CPU and 128 GB RAM in a sub $100 motherboard lol.

All the current gen CPUs say they only "need" around 125 TDP of cooling, but they'll utilize as much cooling as you can give them within reason for higher performance in their temporary overclock modes. It's hard to find a straight answer anywhere on what the best practice is for CPU cooling power, how much is too much and such. Might just be that more is almost always useful? The pure rock cooler you have now is rated 150 TDP, the larger and higher end shadow rock and dark rock coolers from that manufacturer can do up to 250 TDP. ... BUT those are the bigger coolers that might actually cover the closest RAM slot, which would make it annoying to insert or remove RAM from that slot even if it doesn't block the DIMMs from being in there completely, but that's only an issue if you're using all 4 slots. If you don't need 128 GB of RAM you can do 32 or 64 GB in two slots no problem.

Last thing is I'd get 2x 140mm PWM fans for intake on the front of the case and 1x 120mm or 140mm PWM fan for exhaust on the back. Included case fans tend to be cheap, loud, non-speed controllable junk.

Thanks for the pointers. I thought that was a fairly big cooler, but like I said this is my first time using a non-stock cooler.
    qhzh2g5c2o92.jpg

Sounds like I should go for a bigger one.

Yeah, I need the 128 GB of RAM. The machine will mainly serve two purposes: 1) computational workstation and 2) music production machine using lots of sampled instruments. I could maaaaaaybe get away with 96, but that'd be pushing it, so I figure I might as well go for 128. DDR4 RAM is coming down in price right now and I don't really see the point in going for DDR5 RAM. (My current build uses the slowest DDR4 RAM available, and it's fine - my system is snappy and I have no trouble maxing out all of my CPU cores when I'm doing computations, so I can't imagine RAM speed would bottleneck me or even be an issue in the new build.)

The mobo is fluctuating a lot in price. It's back up to $133 now. Aside from options (like more usb 3.0 ports or more pci-e 4.0 slots), is there any reason to consider a higher-priced mobo? Like, better performance?

If I'm not mistaken, the fans included in the case I selected should be powerful and quiet. My current build uses a very similar Fractal case and it's been great. This one comes with 4x 120mm fans, which I think should be good? IDK, and also noise is a big consideration for me, so maybe I should consider 140mm fans instead.
    Save the money and spend in on getting a really good quality powersupply

I think I've got a pretty solid one in there!

Marty81 on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Well if you can use 128GB then you need 128GB, no argument there.

BahamutZEROtsmvengyBullheadMvrckBetsuni
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    You're going to want the x570 because all of the NVMe slots are PCIe-4.0. B550 only has one 4.0 slot and since this machine is for work then time is money. In your use case you'll actually benefit from the increased bandwidth of 4.0 over 3.0. However, that would also mean upgrading to PCIe-4.0 drives which those Samsung 970's are not. 2TB Samsung 980 Pro's are $240.

You don't need to buy a high end x570 board. Something like a MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk WiFi for around $230 would be perfect.

I have no familiarity with that Fractal case but the stock fans should be fine. If you want to upgrade the fans to 140mm then I'll recommend Arctic Cooling P14 PWM's. They're nothing fancy buy their performance is on par with Noctua for a fraction of the price.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    V1m
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I will absolutely add my voice to the recommendation of getting an X570 motherboard. Spending all that money on the highest end CPU on that socket, and spending all that money on that much RAM seems silly if you're going to pair it to a midrange motherboard chipset.

It isn't always just about the chipset itself either. X570 boards are more likely to have higher quality components through the motherboard that will last longer, pair well with, and serve what is otherwise high end system better. Thinks like VRM modules, better capacitors, etc.

Go with X570. Otherwise you might as well drop the CPU and RAM down.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    CormactsmvengyGnomeTank
    the bigger fan consideration is whether they are PWM or not so the motherboard can control their speed, I assume the included ones aren't since they don't specify.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Definitely get an X570 board. I understand the desire to save money but you're already propelling yourself in to big money build territory with the kind of components you're selecting and the use case. Skimping on the motherboard may save you a 100 or 200 bucks but in the end will be very limiting for a productivity workstation build.

It's a shame AMD screwed the pooch so hard on Zen3 Threadripper because that's really the platform you should be building something like this on.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    jungleroomxhtm
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It's a shame AMD screwed the pooch so hard on Zen3 Threadripper because that's really the platform you should be building something like this on.

I mean I would love to have more than 16 cores, but I'm trying to keep the cost of the build down to $2k or so sans video card.

Thanks for the mobo advice. I've always just used mid-range $100 boards in the past, not knowing what I was missing out on.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I mean I would love to have more than 16 cores, but I'm trying to keep the cost of the build down to $2k or so sans video card.

Thanks for the mobo advice. I've always just used mid-range $100 boards in the past, not knowing what I was missing out on.

I just upgraded from a B550 to an X570 and its night and day, from the thickness of the PCB to the on-board features.

I got the TUF X570.

I still long for the day we have standardized front panel hookups

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    Yeah, I need the 128 GB of RAM. The machine will mainly serve two purposes: 1) computational workstation and 2) music production machine using lots of sampled instruments. I could maaaaaaybe get away with 96, but that'd be pushing it, so I figure I might as well go for 128. DDR4 RAM is coming down in price right now and I don't really see the point in going for DDR5 RAM. (My current build uses the slowest DDR4 RAM available, and it's fine - my system is snappy and I have no trouble maxing out all of my CPU cores when I'm doing computations, so I can't imagine RAM speed would bottleneck me or even be an issue in the new build.)

How soon do you need this beast? Rumor is that Intel's new HEDT platform will debut this fall. That will probably open up the possibility of more cores and a lot more PCIE lanes. The 5950 is a delightful CPU, but its I/O is limited by its relatively low PCIE lane count. I think it has 24? Assuming so, you won't have any free if your GPU is running at x16 and you have two NVME drives. That might be problmatic if you need to run capture devices or add more NVME drives.

No idea how how much Intel's upcoming HEDT stuff will cost... but X299, their previous HEDT platform, was a lot cheaper than its Threadripper contemporaries.

jungleroomx
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Just a reminder to be careful where you buy from.

Marty81DoodmannFremJragghenBetsuniBanzai5150
    htm wrote: »

How soon do you need this beast? Rumor is that Intel's new HEDT platform will debut this fall. That will probably open up the possibility of more cores and a lot more PCIE lanes. The 5950 is a delightful CPU, but its I/O is limited by its relatively low PCIE lane count. I think it has 24? Assuming so, you won't have any free if your GPU is running at x16 and you have two NVME drives. That might be problmatic if you need to run capture devices or add more NVME drives.

No idea how how much Intel's upcoming HEDT stuff will cost... but X299, their previous HEDT platform, was a lot cheaper than its Threadripper contemporaries.

I can wait, but there's always something around the corner, isn't there? I'm also concerned about heat and noise. One of the things that appeals to be about the 5950x is the relatively low tdp (and the heat implications thereof).

Are you saying that the build as given would have enough pcie lanes for everything to run at full speed, but wouldn't have any free for future expansion? If so, I'm ok with that.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I can wait, but there's always something around the corner, isn't there? I'm also concerned about heat and noise. One of the things that appeals to be about the 5950x is the relatively low tdp (and the heat implications thereof).

Are you saying that the build as given would have enough pcie lanes for everything to run at full speed, but wouldn't have any free for future expansion? If so, I'm ok with that.

I hate to break it to you that even if the TDP on the 5950x is low it runs quite hot anyways. That many cores packed running at such high speeds puts out a LOT of heat. My 5900x runs between 50-60c at idle and will be in the 70-80's during intensive use even with a open loop watercooling setup with a 420mm and 280mm radiators. The mount on my CPU block might be a bit off so it's running around 10 degrees hotter than I'd personally like it but well below anything worth worrying about. The 5950x is going to be even hotter than that.

The top of the line versions of all current CPU's all run pretty damn hot. It's just a consequence of the core count and core speeds they run at. CPU's now really benefit from as much cooling as they can get because the cooler they run the more they'll auto-boost/overclock. Don't skimp on the cooler be it an air cooler or AIO.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    V1m
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Welp my PC crapped out on me last night, windows wont boot.

So sounds like I'm adding an M2 drive to my mobo / cpu shopping list...

I'm going to try to boot from a usb stick this afternoon to keep limping along until Labor day.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay

The price for a midrange board has crept up, these days $100 is cheap and $150-$250ish is more the midrange price

BahamutZERO.gif
    V1m

Ryzen 5K CPUs have 20 free PCIe lanes, so... maybe? If your GPU is using 16, then you have 4 left for one NVME drive and your other will be using chipset and not CPU lanes. If your GPU is using 8, then both drives will be using CPU lanes.

is that how it works? are the PCIe lane assignments not hardwired by how the circuits are run on the motherboard, so you won't actually free up 8 lanes by not using a x16 graphics card, they'll just be sitting unused hooked up to the pins the GPU isn't using?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Welp my PC crapped out on me last night, windows wont boot.

So sounds like I'm adding an M2 drive to my mobo / cpu shopping list...

I'm going to try to boot from a usb stick this afternoon to keep limping along until Labor day.

Assuming it's a M2 drive, have you tried plugging it into a SATA slot with adapter? It could just be the M2 socket.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Ryzen 5K CPUs have 20 free PCIe lanes, so... maybe? If your GPU is using 16, then you have 4 left for one NVME drive and your other will be using chipset and not CPU lanes. If your GPU is using 8, then both drives will be using CPU lanes.

Yeah. You have 4 chipset lanes that are dedicated to the SATA ports and secondary NVME drive slot if your MOBO has it.

htm
    is that how it works? are the PCIe lane assignments not hardwired by how the circuits are run on the motherboard, so you won't actually free up 8 lanes by not using a x16 graphics card, they'll just be sitting unused hooked up to the pins the GPU isn't using?

Yeah, the wiring definitely plays a part, but recent chipsets like X570 support PCIe bifurcation for their x16 slots, allowing you to configure such a slot to be x8 or x4 instead. Not sure how it works for all motherboard brands, but on my ASUS X299 board, you do this in BIOS.

edited August 2022
    The Ryzen 9 series processors have 24 PCE-e lanes. 16 dedicated to the GPU, 4 for a dedicated M.2 slot, and 4 to talk to the chipset.

The X570 chipset itself has 16 PCI-e 4.0 lanes as well (technically 20 but 4 also connect to the CPU). Some of those lanes will be used for things like more M.2 slots, usb 3.2 gen2 and 4 use PCI-e lanes as well, etc, but each motherboard has 16 lanes to work with for various functions.

That's actually a big difference with X570 vs B550. B550 only has 10 PCI-e 3.0 lanes on the chipset, so if you do need a lot of throughput from different devices besides the GPU and the "first" SSD, X570 is way more capable.

EDIT: and remember since pcie 4 has 2x the bandwidth as 3 does, there's even more flexibility. something that needs 4 lanes of pcie 3 can be done at the same speed with just 2 lanes on pcie 4. So more/faster lanes means more to work with overall.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    jungleroomxOrca
    jungleroomxThawmusDrovekDixonMugsleyFrem
    Ryzen 5000 has 24 lanes total, not just the Ryzen 9, to my knowledge.

SoggybiscuitGnomeTank
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Fuck you guys are making me want to switch motherboards but I also just dun wanna.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Fuck you guys are making me want to switch motherboards but I also just dun wanna.

Any issues with what you have? The don't worry about it until later.

Orca
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »

Any issues with what you have? The don't worry about it until later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIg2X2YsEZ8

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022

It's not about cores, it's about PCE-e lanes and memory channels. On X570 / other consumer platforms you're putting that 128GB of RAM in to two channels. In addition you'll have limited amounts of PCI-e lanes for NVMe storage. Workstation applications that need a lot of storage and RAM benefit greatly from having more lanes and channels to access those resources on.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    SoggybiscuithtmV1m
    edited August 2022
    Here's where I've landed:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nCFCC6

But I'm also getting repeat reboots which is worrying, but the PSU is pretty new so I don't think it's that.

Doodmann on
    Here's where I've landed:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nCFCC6

But I'm also getting repeat reboots which is worrying, but the PSU is pretty new so I don't think it's that.

Unless something has changed with DRAM-less SSD’s, I would recommend looking at something else.

V1m
    I was planning on just using that as a boot drive. I also don't know what you mean.

wunderbar wrote: »
    The Ryzen 9 series processors have 24 PCE-e lanes. 16 dedicated to the GPU, 4 for a dedicated M.2 slot, and 4 to talk to the chipset.

Does that mean that these processors are fundamentally incapable of running at their full potential if you have a 16-lane GPU and two hard drives? Forgive my ignorance, I’ve never thought about lanes before.

edited August 2022
    I was planning on just using that as a boot drive. I also don't know what you mean.

A lot of SSDs use DRAM (just like the RAM in your PC) as a cache. When a drive is DRAM-less, it usually means it uses a lot slower, small flash memory cache instead. Having DRAM hold frequently accessed info can also save a ton of writes on your drives lifespan.

I definitely wouldn’t use one as a boot drive. They have Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives for about $70-$80 right now and I think you might be happier with the faster drive.

jungleroomx on
    Doodmannminor incident
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Does that mean that these processors are fundamentally incapable of running at their full potential if you have a 16-lane GPU and two hard drives? Forgive my ignorance, I’ve never thought about lanes before.

No, it just means they can provide all three of those devices their theoretical maximum bandwidth.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Picked up two items today getting ready for my SSD to arrive thursday: An external NVME/USB enclosure from Sabrent and an SSD heatsink from beQuiet.

I'm fairly impressed with both of these accessories. The Sabrent NVME enclosure has a thermal pad on the top and bottom and a really heavy metal housing acting as a heatsink, I assume. I picked this up so cloning my current OS drive would be as painless as possible and require the least amount of downtime. Also, despite having TPM up, no Bitlocker, because lol no

The real question is if it's worth waiting until labor day for all that stuff.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I use this as my main boot drive and have been pretty happy with it:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DK2FB7G

steam_sig.png
    Doodmann
    I'm using this. No issues and fast enough for me.

https://a.co/d/0lm6uqw

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Saberant makes good SSDs. I've had their 1 tb gen 4 drive since it came out. SK Hynix is also good. There are a lot of good SSDs out there these days. You really have to scrape the bottom of the bin to find shitty SSDs

That_Guy on
    jungleroomxSynthesis
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm using this. No issues and fast enough for me.

https://a.co/d/0lm6uqw

I have that exact one too and it works great for my needs. Would recommend

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Yeah my preferred is Samsung but Sabrent is high quality, and so is SK Hynix.

As long as your drive has DRAM and is by a reputable brand you should be fine.

This discussion has been closed.