As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Don't wanna buy our $600 GPU? Well fine, we're not making any!

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I have a mix of Sabrent and Samsung SSD's, in both 2.5 inch and M2 form factors, across my various machines and they've both been rock solid.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Pailryder
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I carried my Sabrent Rocket 1 TB from my old ASUS Z-79A motherboard build (where it was my boot drive via a PCI Express adapter, since those old NVme sockets are hilariously incompetent); it's now my secondary NVme, and a Samsung 1 TB 980 Pro as my boot on an Aorus motherboard from Gigabyte. That's not remotely enough for media storage, so I have a pair of 4 TB Western Digital (Greens, I think? Pretty low power) that actually have space.

Both brands are excellent in my experience. I've had a couple 2.5" SATA solid state drives fail from different circumstances over the last decade (and I've noted as much on these forums); neither of them were Samsung or Sabrent and I haven't had any issues with NVme socket drives (in fairness to them, that was back when SSD reliability was a fucking joke compared to any competent mechanical platter drive, and things have eventually changed). I think the biggest issue (aside from price), was configuring the BIOS to recognize two such drives simultaneously, which wasn't easy in the least, but it sounds like you've figured out how to do it for 1 already.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Cloning my boot drive now via the USB NVME adapter.

Gonna take 1.5 hours to do 250 gigs, but I’m just gonna let it run while I’m at work

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Good lord that took 10 fucking minutes to replace.

First time boot, completely seamless, completely painless.

fh3fk4x6xx34.png

Now that's a proper boot drive. I'm looking to eventually replace my other two SSD's with a single large one next. 5TB is enough for now, tho.

jungleroomx on
    DrovekübergeekMugsleySynthesisBetsuniMechMantisBullheadThawmushtmFoolOnTheHillan_alt
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    4wvhudnrinfg.jpg

NaphtaliBetsunirahkeesh2000FoolOnTheHillan_alt
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Well now I’m not happy.

I was meant to get that monitor on Monday. On the previous Friday it was listed as processing still, so I called and they said they had a delay and it would ship by this Friday.

Which has not happened.

It’s also listed as available, on sale again on their website.

I think on Monday I will be giving them another call, this time more pissed off.

Edit - Oh hey an email.

Delayed now until mid September.

-Loki- on
    V1m
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm using this the next time I get a random phishing text
    3pes0wbj9mdv.png

syndalisBetsunirahkeesh2000IanatorSnicketysnickTrajan45BullheadCampyThawmusPailryderhtmSyngyneLucid_SeraphKetarFoolOnTheHillan_alt
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    1) The 9" boast I frankly doubt

2) damb girl, get an SSD

Orca
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    DOS OS. That’s a lot of 2 GB max partition sizes on that 1 TB drive.

What happens after you run out of drive letters?

PailryderBahamutZERO
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Nothing good. IIRC DOS doesn't have any accommodations for what happens after you run out of drive letters, several of them are reserved, and on top of that tons of software won't work if it's installed somewhere other than C because who had more than one hard drive?

V1mBullheadSynthesisMechMantis
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Sanity check needed.

I'm on an RX 580. It works well enough for 1080p medium. But, well, it's an RX 580. Paired with my new Ryzen 5900X system the video card is really holding it back.

Should I pick up an RX 6800 for a price that's basically MSRP? Right now the gigabyte model I'm looking at is $830 in Canada. That price is a bit higher (~$45) than the USD MSRP at direct conversion but CAD prices are generally a bit higher regardless. my original plan was to wait for the RX 7000 or RTX 4000 series cards, but with availability questions abound, the strong rumour that we won't see the midrange cards until mid 2023, and the concerns that the newer generation of cards is going to increase performance at the cost of much higher power draw I'm kind of not super enthused at the moment.

I'm considering taking the same idea I had with the 5900X and just investing in the mature platform that I know is still going to serve me. It isn't like the 6800 is going to turn into a bad card when say, the RX 7800 or RTX 4070 Ti hits.

slightly complicating matters is that I'm still only on a 1080p monitor. I know that a 6800 is overkill for 1080p but I can't really afford to replace both the video card and get a good 1440p high refresh rate monitor at the same time. Trying to run an RX 580 at 1440p does not sound like a good time so my theory being monitors usually have decent sales on Black Friday, so pick up the video card now, knowing it's overkill, and then look to replace the monitor in late November.

Thoughts?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I’ve got a 6800XT that’s been working wonderfully for 1440p gaming without needing to worry about dropping settings outside if a few games (Warhammer 3 comes to mind).

A 6800 should do you at 1080p for a long while. If you want to bump to 1440 it should as well, but I’d suggest the 6800XT if it's in your budget.

-Loki- on
    Mulletude
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Sanity check needed.

I'm on an RX 580. It works well enough for 1080p medium. But, well, it's an RX 580. Paired with my new Ryzen 5900X system the video card is really holding it back.

Should I pick up an RX 6800 for a price that's basically MSRP? Right now the gigabyte model I'm looking at is $830 in Canada. That price is a bit higher (~$45) than the USD MSRP at direct conversion but CAD prices are generally a bit higher regardless. my original plan was to wait for the RX 7000 or RTX 4000 series cards, but with availability questions abound, the strong rumour that we won't see the midrange cards until mid 2023, and the concerns that the newer generation of cards is going to increase performance at the cost of much higher power draw I'm kind of not super enthused at the moment.

I'm considering taking the same idea I had with the 5900X and just investing in the mature platform that I know is still going to serve me. It isn't like the 6800 is going to turn into a bad card when say, the RX 7800 or RTX 4070 Ti hits.

slightly complicating matters is that I'm still only on a 1080p monitor. I know that a 6800 is overkill for 1080p but I can't really afford to replace both the video card and get a good 1440p high refresh rate monitor at the same time. Trying to run an RX 580 at 1440p does not sound like a good time so my theory being monitors usually have decent sales on Black Friday, so pick up the video card now, knowing it's overkill, and then look to replace the monitor in late November.

Thoughts?

When you're upgrading a working GPU, what you're paying for is not the absolute performance of the new card, but the improvement over your old one.

So a higher performing card can be "better value' in terms of dollars per percentage gain, even if it's less good in terms of dollars per absolute performance.

Thawmus
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm still using a 6800 non-XT. There's very little it can't do at 1440p. Sometimes I have to target 60fps instead of 144fps.

I originally intended to swap it out for a 6800 XT months after I bought it, but:

1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHA-
    2. It's fine. There's not a whole lot of upgrade potential with my current setup, I'd much rather save up for when I gotta get a new PC in 4ish years.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    V1m
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I'm still using a 6800 non-XT. There's very little it can't do at 1440p. Sometimes I have to target 60fps instead of 144fps.

I originally intended to swap it out for a 6800 XT months after I bought it, but:

2. It's fine. There's not a whole lot of upgrade potential with my current setup, I'd much rather save up for when I gotta get a new PC in 4ish years.

yeah all of the benchmarks say that the 6800 is a 100% fine 1440p card that goes anywhere from 90-140fps on high/ultra depending on the game. That seems fine to me.

Mostly i'm just still waffling on the idea of spending EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS on a video card.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    V1m

yeah all of the benchmarks say that the 6800 is a 100% fine 1440p card that goes anywhere from 90-140fps on high/ultra depending on the game. That seems fine to me.

Mostly i'm just still waffling on the idea of spending EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS on a video card.

You can get an XT for less than that.

I have the non-XT version of this, but this is considered to be one of the best 6800 XT AIB's:

Amazon Link

jo4f107idsiw.png

V1m

You can get an XT for less than that.

I have the non-XT version of this, but this is considered to be one of the best 6800 XT AIB's:

Amazon Link

[i mg]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/zp/jo4f107idsiw.png[/img]

I'm in Canada. different currency.

Looking at that now, though, I paid like $800 for my non-XT XFX Merc card back in Jan 2020.

I did this before the prices got jacked up, and bought it because I finally got lucky enough to be allowed to hand money over for a chunk of hardware. It wasn't even the one I wanted, I was willing to pay much more for bigger and better but this was unobtainium that I could buy.

And now they have XT versions of the same card for $140 less.

Fuuuuuuuuck no, I don't need it, I don't need it, I just blew a ton of money this month already. Deep breaths, deep breaths.

Bullhead
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    This is the only place that understands the compulsion to spend money on hardware we don't need but really want.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    ThawmusBullheadBetsuni
    yeah, here in Canada the 6800 model I'm looking for is currently on a "sale" for $830, which is basically MSRP, and that "sale" ends August 31. If I had to guess I'd say it's going to remain at that price as long as there is stock of the cards as they work to clear out inventory.

The 6800 XT is $1150 on a similar "sale" I really don't think going form 6800 to 6800 XT is worth > $350. And even then, I'm not sure I'm ready to break the psychological barrier of spending $1000 on a video card.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Ran out of money for an M2 so that will be the next upgrade along with a graphics card eventually. But the deed is done and I'm happy with this form factor.

g1bn6ip4muv9.jpg

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    wunderbarThawmusjungleroomxBahamutZEROCormactsmvengyV1mMugsleyBullheadübergeekSyngyneIanatorEtheahtmsponoRiusFoolOnTheHillMechMantisBetsunian_alt
    I'm not gonna lie I kinda dig the open air vibe.

jungleroomxMulletudeDoodmannBullheadOrcaBetsunian_alt
    I'm not gonna lie I kinda dig the open air vibe.

I'm all for making a PC into a piece of industrial art.

I'm too much of a coward to do it myself but I love it when others do it.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    It looks kinda neat but my brain keeps yelling "One bad sneeze away from a short circuit"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    MulletudeDrovekLucid_SeraphSiliconStewOrcaIanatorLD50
    I can't decide if an open air rig like that is better or worse for pet hair.

on one hand, easier to clean out when it gets in. On the other hand, with no dust filtering THERE WILL BE SO MUCH PET HAIR.

SnicketysnickOrca
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Yeah it's generally better to filter the air flowing across your components. It's a lot easier to clean a filter than a whole ass computer.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Speaking of, I can see the dust caked onto that AIO. Take the fans off and dust it!

steam_sig.png
    Doodmann
    It looks kinda neat but my brain keeps yelling "One bad sneeze away from a short circuit"

It was previously sitting on the floor with my australian shepard for 3 years so I already regularly spit in the face of the god of static.

BahamutZEROBetsuni
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Speaking of, I can see the dust caked onto that AIO. Take the fans off and dust it!

I also noticed that haha, probably a good time to take care of that.

V1mtsmvengy
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    May be time to upgrade my 3060 soon! Still can't believe I got that bomb of PSU with it.

edited August 2022
    LD50 wrote: »

Nothing good. IIRC DOS doesn't have any accommodations for what happens after you run out of drive letters, several of them are reserved, and on top of that tons of software won't work if it's installed somewhere other than C because who had more than one hard drive?

This goes hand in hand with many software developers in the early CD-ROM days straight-up refusing to recognize disk drives not assigned to D as I recalled. You could access the drive, because MS-DOS (and Windows) obviously obeyed the new Yellow Book standards, and even run the programs, but the setup program or something more elaborate? Haha, no.

Synthesis on
    Synthesis wrote: »

This goes hand in hand with many software developers in the early CD-ROM straight-up refusing to recognize disk drives not assigned to D as I recalled. You could access the drive, because MS-DOS (and Windows) obviously obeyed the new Yellow Book standards, and even run the programs, but the setup program or something more elaborate? Haha, no.

We had that problem with our windows 95 machine. Whoever built it assigned the cd rom to Z: which caused problems even late into the windows 95/98 era.

Synthesis wrote: »

This goes hand in hand with many software developers in the early CD-ROM straight-up refusing to recognize disk drives not assigned to D as I recalled. You could access the drive, because MS-DOS (and Windows) obviously obeyed the new Yellow Book standards, and even run the programs, but the setup program or something more elaborate? Haha, no.

We had that problem with our windows 95 machine. Whoever built it assigned the cd rom to Z: which caused problems even late into the windows 95/98 era.

Wow, that's somehow the opposite side of the same problem. Crazy stuff from the Wild West days of 1990s personal computing.

LD50
    My network mapped drives at work

rc8boeqc4u0v.png

IDGAF

wunderbarBullheadNaphtaliPailryderSynthesisFremsponoFoolOnTheHillzagdrobtsmvengyInfidelBetsuniCantidoan_alt
    Oh shit.

Monitor shipped.

danxSyngynejungleroomxDrovekJimbowunderbarMugsleyFoolOnTheHillMarty81Betsunian_alt

rc8boeqc4u0v.png

IDGAF

Oh, I thought A and B were still reserved for floppy devices.

We name our mapped network shares after what they do, so H is personal network drive (aka Home drive), and S is for Shared, etc.

rc8boeqc4u0v.png

IDGAF

We name our mapped network shares after what they do, so H is personal network drive (aka Home drive), and S is for Shared, etc.

I want to say as of Win 10 that no longer matters.

rc8boeqc4u0v.png

IDGAF

I want to say as of Win 10 that no longer matters.

considering that Windows no longer includes in box drivers for floppy drives, yeah I think we're long past that.

By default Windows still wont' use A or B for anything, but if you want to make a drive A or B, it's fine.

jungleroomxSynthesisPailryderBullhead
    Yeah, Windows 10 drive assignment process is inherited from 8, which I'm pretty sure got it from 7 (I think it was one step longer before 7). I haven't done it on a Windows 11 setup, which does represent them trying to overhaul the design language that still includes so many of these seldom-used system control elements (of the billion people using Windows 10 and 11, what percentage of them every reassign a drive letter?), which are redundant anyway (not drive letter assignment specifically, but so many things have two or more ways to do them now).

This discussion has been closed.