As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Don't wanna buy our $600 GPU? Well fine, we're not making any!

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Mapped network drives for me start with Z and work their way down from there

A bit of a holdover from when I had something like 6 physical HDDs in my desktop

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    So I have a BBQ temp monitor for my smoker and I recently needed to replace the thermal probes on it. The new ones just came in, and since they're all fresh and clean, I decided to use them to see what temps are really like in my PC case because Science!

5zp1gxf3savr.jpeg

The top temp is for a probe a few inches directly above the GPU and the bottom, below the motherboard and positioned so that it's not right over an intake fan.

Pic taken an hour into a WoW raid. The ambient room temp was 70-72F.

The PC is my former X299 Hackintosh: Intel 10920 w/360 AIO + 3090 FE, in an O11 XL with all the fans. The GPU is mounted vertically. Bottom and side fans are intakes. Top fans (on the AIO radiator) and rear fan are exhaust.

IanatorIceBurner
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I'm still using a 6800 non-XT. There's very little it can't do at 1440p. Sometimes I have to target 60fps instead of 144fps.

I originally intended to swap it out for a 6800 XT months after I bought it, but:

1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHA-
    2. It's fine. There's not a whole lot of upgrade potential with my current setup, I'd much rather save up for when I gotta get a new PC in 4ish years.

yeah all of the benchmarks say that the 6800 is a 100% fine 1440p card that goes anywhere from 90-140fps on high/ultra depending on the game. That seems fine to me.

Mostly i'm just still waffling on the idea of spending EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS on a video card.

You can get an XT for less than that.

I have the non-XT version of this, but this is considered to be one of the best 6800 XT AIB's:

Amazon Link

jo4f107idsiw.png

. . .I actually picked this up on Monday after basically every review showing it murders 1440P content and can probably do 4K with non-Ultra graphical settings. Still waiting on Amazon to deliver as it is now "Delayed in Transit". . .feel like after waiting all this time I can wait a few more days, but boy did I want to do some WH3 (and FO76 as it seems like brute force can get you 60FPS in that game) this weekend.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    PailryderV1m
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    6800XTs are getting, if not cheap, then "reasonable" now. I am enticed by the reports that RDNA3 will have much better Raytracing capability, as well as fancy DisplayPort 2.0 outputs, but I am also tempted by sub-MSRP Sapphire Pulse 6800XTs.

However, Valve have chosen to pre-empt the dilemma by bringing my Steam Deck reservation forward to Q3, so I guess I'll be spending my discretionary income this month on buying #2 nephew's love instead.

(He's an honest nephew; like his mother, he stays bought)

übergeek
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Ten years ago I did a 100% silent server build. I made it to be a music server primarily and also just a private SFTP server, plus now it also just logs ambient temperature using a USB sensor since why not as it running anyway.

When I build the thing I wasn't able to find a case that was just right, especially since I wanted reasonable price and flexibility as I wasn't completely sure my idea of a 100% silent and thus passive cooled machine would work. So for a case I modified a $1 cardboard box from IKEA. The plan was to eventually find a proper case, as the cardboard one just worked that never happened.

The machine:
    ecfas1tk4lni.jpg

ddda62hsgway.jpg

awc626p05toe.jpg

Hardware:
    • ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE (Mini ITX board with a AMD E-450 APU)
    • PICO-PSU 90 watt, a tiny 12 VDC to computer "adapter".
    • 12V, 100 watt power brick.
    • 2x2 GB DDR3 ram sticks (Crucial if memory serves me right)
    • 3x 250 GB Kingston SSD's.
    • IKEA case, a PAPPIS cardboard box I modded for cooling and mounting. https://ikea.com/gb/en/p/pappis-box-with-lid-brown-00100467/
    • A arcade style red button for On/Off.

Over time the my music collection has grown, so a few times I have powered the server down to add or swap an SSD. Other than that is has been on 247 since I build it 10 years ago.
    With it being passive cooled and not having any filters either dust build up was a concern, but it hasn't been bad. I have used a vacuum on it a couple of times, the first time was after five years where I took this picture just before:

kvvq4b55c8l3.jpg
    (Note how the disc "rack" has sort of given up and that I just resorted to sort have the drives be suspended by their cables.

It has been smooth going all the years, ignoring a time where I experimented running Linux instead of Windows, only lately there has been a couple of random crashes. So that and the fact it just feels so slow when I on occasion try and use if for web browsing has me thinking of making a new build - which is the main reason I am doing this post.

The new server must be:
    • 100% passive cooled.
    • Low power, ideally even more so that the old one.
    • Fast enough that on occasion I can use it for internet surfing with out it being a drag.
    • x86 based as it must run Windows and Windows for ARM isn't mature. I like the idea of Linux, but my experience is that as I do Windows work as a living sticking to it is just more time effective for me.
    • Support a minimum of 3 SATA drives.
    • Support 8 GB of ram.
    • HDMI 1080p output
    • 1 GB Ethernet

Nice to have:
    • One or more NVME SSD slots.
    • Displayport
    • HDMI 2.0 or better.
    • Optical audio out
    • 2.5 GB Ethernet
    • Support 16 GB ram

I have been looking round to find the main board for the new server, but clearly there is a lack of choice. I had envisioned finding something with a sort of current AMD laptop APU, but haven't found anything meant to be passive cooled and the same goes for the Intel ones. Instead it looks like what there is are only a few semi-old Intel based boards of which this Pentium J5040 based looks to be one of the only that is actual available https://asrock.com/mb/Intel/J5040-ITX/index.us.asp

So thoughts?
    Experience with similar builds?
    Recommendations for main board alternatives?

Bones heal, glory is forever.
    OrcaBullheadOneAngryPossumhtmTrajan45BahamutZEROXeddicusV1mIanatorMarty81übergeekSyngyneGilgaronBouwsTBetsuniAldoFremDoodmannKreutzan_alt
    So thoughts?

Fanless mini-PCs are now a thing. Anandtech reviewed two relatively recently. I don't think either of those two are exactly what you want, but you might be able to find something more suitable in that product niche.

Also, depending on what you consider "low power" there are a few fanless CPU coolers on the market. The best known is probably the Noctua NH-P1, which according to Anandtech, is suitable for CPUs in the 65 to 100W range. That opens up the possibility of using a CPU with real grunt: AMD has a whole line of Ryzen APUs all of which run at 65W or less. I also think it would let you use any B550 or X570 motherboard you can find that has an HDMI out for use with an APU. If not, ASRock has at least one board that's targeted at APUs, though it doesn't have 3 SATA ports.

BlindZenDriverEthea
    htm wrote: »
    So thoughts?

Fanless mini-PCs are now a thing. Anandtech reviewed two relatively recently. I don't think either of those two are exactly what you want, but you might be able to find something more suitable in that product niche.

Also, depending on what you consider "low power" there are a few fanless CPU coolers on the market. The best known is probably the Noctua NH-P1, which according to Anandtech, is suitable for CPUs in the 65 to 100W range. That opens up the possibility of using a CPU with real grunt: AMD has a whole line of Ryzen APUs all of which run at 65W or less. I also think it would let you use any B550 or X570 motherboard you can find that has an HDMI out for use with an APU. If not, ASRock has at least one board that's targeted at APUs, though it doesn't have 3 SATA ports.

Thank you for the input. I should have been more explicit about the power thing, my current server uses something like 15 watt, when the CPU is at max, and then maybe 10-12 watt more for the SSD's. So really low power.

I know of the big CPU coolers for the more mainstream builds and actually build a Ryzen 3600 based system for a friend of mine. It is a pretty amazing thing, but way overkill performance wise for my needs but also using way more power than what I'd like for something running 247.

The PC's covered in the Anandtech article are interesting. They look somewhat limited with regards to room for SATA drivers, but perhaps I could consider getting a big capacity drive as opposed to running multiple ½-1 TB ones (as my server has been upgraded to over the years). So great link - not sue why but somehow I missed that article at Anandtech , a site that I btw. hold in high regard.

On mini-pc's in general, during my hunt for the new server setup I have looked at several only they tend to be somewhat expensive and most are not passive cooled. So I had sort of settled on doing a new home build. More research to do :smile:

htm
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @BlindZenDriver have you tried checking for BIOS and Ethernet driver updates for the current board? I see no reason why that should chug for just web browsing.

You can also find some dirt cheap DDR3 if you check secondary market or ask here.

edited August 2022
    I know of the big CPU coolers for the more mainstream builds and actually build a Ryzen 3600 based system for a friend of mine. It is a pretty amazing thing, but way overkill performance wise for my needs but also using way more power than what I'd like for something running 247.

Keep in mind that the TDPs listed on that AMD APU page are max or near-max. All of those APUs are basically laptop chips. Their idle/low load power draw is something like 5-15W according to Anandtech (look at their wattage on the bench graphs before the actual benchmarks start).

Ryzen may still be overkill for what you need, but if you get one, it wouldn't be sitting around pulling 65W just serving up files, especially if you configured it to sleep when idle and wake up for LAN access.

htm on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Is the Radeon 6800 the latest hotness? The 6900 isn't that much more expensive at microcenter.

Basically I want to run Warhammer Total War 3 at relatively high settings. I have a 5700xt gpu and 5800x cpu for reference.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    hgkbctsjonwe.png

This is why I may just buy a Threadripper next time around.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    hgkbctsjonwe.png

What are you doing?

DrovekBullheadBahamutZEROGilgaron
    LD50 wrote: »
    hgkbctsjonwe.png

What are you doing?

Doing a test run of a new image processing pipeline (Topaz’s suite of tools) against just 200 old photos.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    hgkbctsjonwe.png

What are you doing?

Doing a test run of a new image processing pipeline (Topaz’s suite of tools) against just 200 old photos.

Oh, interesting. I've been doing similar stuff except for me it's my gpu and vram graphs that look like that.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    . . .spent an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't get more than exactly 40 frames in TWWH3 with the newly arrived 6800XT. Managed to figure it out. On an unrelated note, make sure you turn off your frame limiters before messing around with new hardware, especially if you like to cap frames at odd frame rates.

Having said that, this card is gigantic (like stupidly so; I forgot I had found a Corsair case in my complex's trash hauling and had to put everything in this thing, otherwise it would have been way too cramped in a PC case from the "IDE hard drive" days) and seemingly just throws its weight at games. The only games I that will require some finaggling are TWWH3, GR: Wildlands and FO76 (FO76, while now able to be over 100FPS, still has INSANE FPS swings, utilizes 92% of the GPU and is somehow drawing twice as much power as any other game I threw at the GPU). Everything else it has been fun cranking up graphics settings and seeing the card not break much sweat. 1440P just works out of the box with every game, it's just 4K-level graphics that take a little tweaking (turning resolution down to 3K solves most and gets you to 60). Wild seeing games I just could not get there with my previous hardware (like YAKUZA: LAD) doing 4K/60 with little effort.
    V1m wrote: »
    6800XTs are getting, if not cheap, then "reasonable" now. I am enticed by the reports that RDNA3 will have much better Raytracing capability, as well as fancy DisplayPort 2.0 outputs, but I am also tempted by sub-MSRP Sapphire Pulse 6800XTs.

So I was able to get the 6800XT for less than 600 which seems good? I remember paying "a lot" for the AMD 5700 I picked up to play RDR2 on PC (my 1060 6GB wasn't cutting it). . .but then I went into my Gmail and looked for a receipt and it said I "only" paid 359 before taxes. I'm crossing fingers that the bottom drops out in a month or so so I can get Amazon to refund the difference but not holding my breath. 600 versus 1200 or so (I feel like that was where I was seeing the price of this) feels like a "steal". . .which I guess is by design. I just have. . .what is the for "reverse FOMO" where I'm disappointed I couldn't wait the bottom out. Oh well.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    SiliconStewBahamutZEROThawmus
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Is the Radeon 6800 the latest hotness? The 6900 isn't that much more expensive at microcenter.

Basically I want to run Warhammer Total War 3 at relatively high settings. I have a 5700xt gpu and 5800x cpu for reference.

if you're on a 5700 XT it honestly is probably worth it to wait for the RX 7000 series and the RTX 4000 series at this point. 5700 XT is by no means the highest end card in the world but should do everything work well enough.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Deadfall
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I don't think any journos have special info, but many articles are predicting more price drops in Sept.

I think I've said it before, but considering that 4xxx is "3xxx with more power" (sweeping generality), I may grab a 3070 or 3080 on "sale" instead of waiting for 4xxx

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I don't think any journos have special info, but many articles are predicting more price drops in Sept.

I think I've said it before, but considering that 4xxx is "3xxx with more power" (sweeping generality), I may grab a 3070 or 3080 on "sale" instead of waiting for 4xxx

Yeah I was eyeing a 3070 to replace my perfectly acceptable 1080 but then I realized I'd need to get a bigger PSU to support it. At that point I start spiraling into wanting to update my Ryzen 2600 since it's starting to bottleneck and definitely would be the culprit with a new GPU, so then I'll probably want a better motherboard and suddenly I've priced out a new system. And what am I going to do with a second gaming computer?

5cxllhuvpjsd.png

OrcaMugsleyThawmusFoolOnTheHill
    edited August 2022
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Yeah I was eyeing a 3070 to replace my perfectly acceptable 1080 but then I realized I'd need to get a bigger PSU to support it. At that point I start spiraling into wanting to update my Ryzen 2600 since it's starting to bottleneck and definitely would be the culprit with a new GPU, so then I'll probably want a better motherboard and suddenly I've priced out a new system. And what am I going to do with a second gaming computer?
    <SNIP>

Chances are that since you run a Ryzen 2600 you may be able to just update the motherboard BIOS and then swap the CPU for something with way more power, like say for example a Ryzen 5600 or even a 5800x3D if you wanna max out.

BlindZenDriver on
    V1m
    edited August 2022
    Mugsley wrote: »
    @BlindZenDriver have you tried checking for BIOS and Ethernet driver updates for the current board? I see no reason why that should chug for just web browsing.

You can also find some dirt cheap DDR3 if you check secondary market or ask here.

Thank you. Perfectly sensible suggestions.

The old system has been flashed and so when something relevant became available, also while 4 GB ram is not a lot for just simple browsing memory isn't the issue. The thing is really that speed is relative, back when the system was new my main rig was a Core i7-870 and now it is a 5800x3D so the relative difference just makes the server feel slow.

This should give an idea:
    96vlevi02pc1.jpg
    (Note the Pentium Silver is the one found in the new board I am considering)

The main thing that is the trigger is however that lately there has been a couple of system crashes for no apparent reasons, as in them happening during normal operation which makes me think that perhaps the system has just reached the end of its life. I can't complain though, since running a plain ITX system for a decade essentially non-stop must be some sort of record B)

htm wrote: »

Keep in mind that the TDPs listed on that AMD APU page are max or near-max. All of those APUs are basically laptop chips. Their idle/low load power draw is something like 5-15W according to Anandtech (look at their wattage on the bench graphs before the actual benchmarks start).

Ryzen may still be overkill for what you need, but if you get one, it wouldn't be sitting around pulling 65W just serving up files, especially if you configured it to sleep when idle and wake up for LAN access.

Thanks.

Overkill can be nice, but the thing is if I were to go with say a B550 and a non-laptop CPU then the low power draw will still be bigger than on a real low power system. The graph you linked must be the CPU alone and not include the mother board. And also as such a system does allow itself to pull even more power I'd need a PSU with overhead for that, even if it would still be a rare thing and bigger PSU = more idle power usage.
    It all adds up, so that isn't really the route for my 247 needs.

Also wake up on LAN is fine for some things, but complicated to do for a server I sometimes use for SFTP while out of the country.

BlindZenDriver on
    htm
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    <SNIP>

Chances are that since you run a Ryzen 2600 you may be able to just update the motherboard BIOS and then swap the CPU for something with way more power, like say for example a Ryzen 5600 or even a 5800x3D if you wanna max out.

Yeah if I wanted to save, maybe, but I was also thinking of something with 2 nvme slots, more USB ports, etc. But yeah, a GPU, CPU and maybe an aftermarket cooler and I can probably get by for less than $800 all in.

edited August 2022
    <SNIP>

Yeah if I wanted to save, maybe, but I was also thinking of something with 2 nvme slots, more USB ports, etc. But yeah, a GPU, CPU and maybe an aftermarket cooler and I can probably get by for less than $800 all in.

In the short term, dropping in a 5800X3D would give you about a 40-50% per-thread uplift for apps and games that don't particularly care about the big L3 cache, and rather more than that for those that do. It's really a pretty big upgrade.

Obviously it's not adding NVME slots and USB ports, but it would carry you through until the new generation of AMD and/or Intel motherboards have matured, or maybe even right through that generation to Zen5/Intel WhicheverLake. And to when DDR5 is rather cheaper than it is now.

V1m on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    V1m wrote: »
    <SNIP>

In the short term, dropping in a 5800X3D would give you about a 40-50% per-thread uplift for apps and games that don't particularly care about the big L3 cache, and rather more than that for those that do. It's really a pretty big upgrade.

Obviously it's not adding NVME slots and USB ports, but it would carry you through until the new generation of AMD and/or Intel motherboards have matured, or maybe even right through that generation to Zen5/Intel WhicheverLake. And to when DDR5 is rather cheaper than it is now.

Since I have a 5800X3D sitting a few feet away with some NVMe drives and a 850w PSU, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I have a 2600x on a an Asus Strix X470. I already updated the BIOS so I can just drop it in, although I'm not sure how it will respond to Win 7 (I'm putting 10 on one of the NVME's). It will work, just better on higher end older boards that are B450, most X470's will be fine, and anything 500 series will work.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    If you got free PCI slots then you can add expansion cards that gives you more USB connectors and the same goes for NVME slots. Prices should be like $10 and up depending on features and where you buy.

V1mMugsley
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Question time, this time about cables.

So my monitor arrived (yay), but the cables it comes with are too short. No problem with the DisplayPort cable, as I can easily get one in the length I need.

However, I want to make use of the usb upstream so I can run my keyboard and mouse to the monitor for better cable management.

The upstream cable and port are USB 3.2 Gen 1. I can't find a replacement for at the length I need. I went looking at extension cables, and while they're around, they're all USB 3.0.

Will that cause any problems? USB 3.0 transfers 5gb/s, which I'm assume is enough for a keyboard and mouse.

Edit - actually, I think the cables might be just long enough.

-Loki- on
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Question time, this time about cables.

So my monitor arrived (yay), but the cables it comes with are too short. No problem with the DisplayPort cable, as I can easily get one in the length I need.

However, I want to make use of the usb upstream so I can run my keyboard and mouse to the monitor for better cable management.

The upstream cable and port are USB 3.2 Gen 1. I can't find a replacement for at the length I need. I went looking at extension cables, and while they're around, they're all USB 3.0.

Will that cause any problems? USB 3.0 transfers 5gb/s, which I'm assume is enough for a keyboard and mouse.

Edit - actually, I think the cables might be just long enough.

No, usb 3.0 cables will not be an issue for usb 3.2 gen 1 ports. They are actually the exact same thing, as per https://www.kingston.com/en/usb-flash-drives/usb-30

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Cool. I ordered some DP1.4 and usb3.0 extension cables anyway, just in case.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    The USB consortium changed the names for the old ports and made it all needlessly confusing, no one can keep that shit straight anymore.

Seriously, the most idiotic marketing decision by a standards body like that I've ever seen.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Literally
    standards.png

BullheadMugsleySyngyneTrajan45an_alt
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    It's not even that, they just made the existing standard more confusing by giving them new, more unclear names

BahamutZERO.gif
    jungleroomxminor incidentdanxMvrckThawmus
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    It's not even that, they just made the existing standard more confusing by giving them new, more unclear names

If they had just left the shit alone and continued with 3.1/3.2 or whatever we would be fine, but here we are

OrcaSpoit
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

I guarantee this happened because manufacturers decided customers were going to flip when the thing they were buying wasn't the latest/best gen. So all USB 3.0 stuff had to be re-standardized so that it could be USB 3.2, the latest and greatest!

Which is weird considering plenty of stuff (e.g. webcams) are USB 2.0 and absolutely fine as USB 2.0 devices.

steam_sig.png
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    USB naming isn't great, but the part that bothers me more than the naming is the issue with capabilities.

You can get a USB cable that supports USB 4 40Gbps speeds but then only like 30W of power delivery.

You can also get a USB Cable that supports 240W power delivery but also only USB 2.0 480mbps speeds.

I really, really wish it was mandated that cables would all support the highest end spec. Or at the very least a specific set of standards. I'd be ok with any USB 3.x cable being required to support 100W charging, and any USB 4 cable being required to support 240W charging. But the fact that the power delivery spec is not coupled to a specific speed spec is infuriating.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Bullhead
    The USB consortium changed the names for the old ports and made it all needlessly confusing, no one can keep that shit straight anymore.

Seriously, the most idiotic marketing decision by a standards body like that I've ever seen.

Agree and the standards for HDMI aren't far behind, they killed the 2.0 standard and it is now 2.1 and the things thought to be 2.1 are now optional. As in anything that used to be sold as 2.0 can be sold as 2.1 and you need read the fine print, if you wanna be sure of certain features previously thought to come with 2.1 :/

Here is an article that explains it all. https://tftcentral.co.uk/articles/when-hdmi-2-1-isnt-hdmi-2-1

LD50
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    USB naming isn't great, but the part that bothers me more than the naming is the issue with capabilities.

You can get a USB cable that supports USB 4 40Gbps speeds but then only like 30W of power delivery.

You can also get a USB Cable that supports 240W power delivery but also only USB 2.0 480mbps speeds.

I really, really wish it was mandated that cables would all support the highest end spec. Or at the very least a specific set of standards. I'd be ok with any USB 3.x cable being required to support 100W charging, and any USB 4 cable being required to support 240W charging. But the fact that the power delivery spec is not coupled to a specific speed spec is infuriating.

USB4 with the thunderbolt throughput actually does have additional hardware in the connector, which brings costs up and isn't really needed for lots of applications.

There should be two cables for 4, honestly. One full fat, full PD, full bandwidth called USB 4 Pro, and a full PD cable with USB 3.2 speeds called USB 4.

Done. Everything else shouldn't get certified.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Pailryder
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

USB4 with the thunderbolt throughput actually does have additional hardware in the connector, which brings costs up and isn't really needed for lots of applications.

There should be two cables for 4, honestly. One full fat, full PD, full bandwidth called USB 4 Pro, and a full PD cable with USB 3.2 speeds called USB 4.

Done. Everything else shouldn't get certified.

God I wish this were how they did it. USB has so many different types and naming conventions and at least 4 different connectors still in use.

V1m
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    So…those new AMD chips look spicy

Looking forward to some independent benchmarks. Thinking I’ll grab that 7900.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I have a question and I'm not sure what to search for to even get to answer, so hopefully one of you guys can help me!

The GPU GTX1080 in my partner's PC is flawed and needs to be replaced, it runs far too hot and kills the PC after a while. We've currently put a loaner GTX1060 in it and that's working fine for daily use. I'm trying to find alternative GPUs that we could buy to keep this PC trucking along for another few years.

Here's the catch: it needs to fit in the small-form case, so it cannot be bigger than the GTX1080. Where can I search for cards by dimensions? Or just generally: what options do we even have?

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    I have a question and I'm not sure what to search for to even get to answer, so hopefully one of you guys can help me!

The GPU GTX1080 in my partner's PC is flawed and needs to be replaced, it runs far too hot and kills the PC after a while. We've currently put a loaner GTX1060 in it and that's working fine for daily use. I'm trying to find alternative GPUs that we could buy to keep this PC trucking along for another few years.

Here's the catch: it needs to fit in the small-form case, so it cannot be bigger than the GTX1080. Where can I search for cards by dimensions? Or just generally: what options do we even have?

Which version of GTX 1080 is it? Is it 1 slot or 2 slot?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

Which version of GTX 1080 is it? Is it 1 slot or 2 slot?

It takes up two slots. Its dimensions are L:279mm, W:140mm, H:42mm

This discussion has been closed.