Options

[Total War] CA's apology tour

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Yea. Dawi are fantasy Arab. They're Persian only in the sense that the caliphates were Persian adjacent.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!
    https://youtu.be/WgUHb2GUFuo

Oh they finally added Khorne to the game.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    The trailer has one of the best worst lines I've heard in a while:

"We do not have blood! We have ice! And ice cannot be spilt!"

It has that daft 1990s da watching Braveheart energy. It's perfect!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    To be fair, it followed it with 'My father died a fool'.

Because he got head stomped then stompsploded in a shower of blood, not ice.

• Options
    Yeah that's why it's perfect. It's 100% something a Braveheart* dad would say before they ran in and got splat by a Bloodthirster.

*1995 was a terrible year in Scotland. God I hate that film.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    ok check this out i have fixed dwarf lore and all issues

normal dwarf = dawi, vengeful, organised

chaos dwarf = daweed, cant remember grudges, shit not together, expelled from normal dwarf society for being too chill

half their shit looks like bongs anyway

its not chaos dwarves its chaotic dwarves

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Saying Chaos Dwarves are chill is sure something.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i read some white dwarves in 2002 im a lore expert

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Chaos Dwarfs worship the god of fire, greed, and tyranny. They are anti-chill. And they remember the shit out of their grudges. The chillest a Chaos Dwarf gets is when their sorcerers finish turning into literal actual stone statues from using their powers.

On that note here's what a Chaos Dwarf had to say about Hobgoblins:

"We regard them as eminently expendable. They betrayed their own, they will certainly betray us. In fact many of their boldest Khans have made it clear that they will happily flee allowing us to be overun if a battle ever turns against us. The arrangement is more than suitable. We detest them, they detest us but all of use hate everybody else more.

~ Halgir Ashbrewer, Chaos Dwarf Engineer."

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    On a completely different note, who ever said that fanatical only hands out preorder keys on launch was wrong. You get them right away

That was me and I was speaking from past experience. Glad to be wrong.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Biggest WHIII scandal. Surtha Ek does not get a special chariot.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Karoz wrote: »
    On a completely different note, who ever said that fanatical only hands out preorder keys on launch was wrong. You get them right away

Yeah can confirm - I got Warhammer 3 via Fanatical months before release, and I got the key right away.

Could be dependent on the developer/publisher though.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

Yeah can confirm - I got Warhammer 3 via Fanatical months before release, and I got the key right away.

Could be dependent on the developer/publisher though.

IIRC my purchase was for one of TW2's DLCs, Warlock and the Prophet I believe. It kept in suspense till release day so I have been hesitant to use them for day 1 releases since then.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    He probably just needs to level up high enough to get it, rather than starting on it, unless you mean a super special version.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »
    He probably just needs to level up high enough to get it, rather than starting on it, unless you mean a super special version.

Even Surtha Ek starting without a chariot is a scandal.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Yeah, how will he swerve?

It's not right.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    danx wrote: »
    I know the TW:3 designers were talking about changing red skills to be unit-agnostic, things like "Infantry get +X melee defense" or "+Y reload speed." Will be nice when that comes out so mixing bow and gunpower units doesn't cost you skill points or red line buffs.

They should have changed skills to be unit agnostic in wh3. Too many lords red lines did not buff their units, like Alarielle not buffing tree spirits. I'm not sure they fixed that in 3.

Arkhan does get special 'enhanced' vamp units with the red line baked in, so maybe the other lords will get the same treatment. Regardless 3 was the time to remove the annoyances in the red line and I was surprised they didn't.

Watching a Valkia stream and it appears the DLC team is doing this.

Her red tree line is things like '+X Defense for Daemonic missile and flying units ' and '+X defense for all non-daemonic infantry units' and '+X% ammunition for all non-daemonic missile cavalry and artillery'.

As with Warhammer 2, it appears it's been left to the DLC team to fix the bad decisions.

edit - Valkia destroys characters. Like, swoop in on Malekeith and just straight up murder him.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    That's good. It means she can buff allied units. It was a little silly to introduce that system & keep the red line as is (if they're intent on keeping the red line).

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Chaos Dwarfs worship the god of fire, greed, and tyranny. They are anti-chill. And they remember the shit out of their grudges. The chillest a Chaos Dwarf gets is when their sorcerers finish turning into literal actual stone statues from using their powers.

On that note here's what a Chaos Dwarf had to say about Hobgoblins:

"We regard them as eminently expendable. They betrayed their own, they will certainly betray us. In fact many of their boldest Khans have made it clear that they will happily flee allowing us to be overun if a battle ever turns against us. The arrangement is more than suitable. We detest them, they detest us but all of use hate everybody else more.

~ Halgir Ashbrewer, Chaos Dwarf Engineer."

sounds to me like they really need that daweed

fuming normie dwarves banging the walls of the great hall as insanely stoned lads rave out to ragga jungle at 5am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMHTQ8r9pQU

god that would be a good civilisational schism

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    v1f9iu726mie.png

c'mon...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    So it looks like the Helman Ghorst Zombie stack is the new meta. The regen cap appears to be bugged and they can be endlessly healed. He already buffed their fighting power by a whole lot (faction wide). Now a single unit of zombies can take out an entire garrison with a little healing.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    So it looks like the Helman Ghorst Zombie stack is the new meta. The regen cap appears to be bugged and they can be endlessly healed. He already buffed their fighting power by a whole lot (faction wide). Now a single unit of zombies can take out an entire garrison with a little healing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRv0yx_z0_4

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    meta is an anagram of meat... and team

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Even if they fix the infinite healing bug I think I'm going for Ghorst when I want to cheese the Legendary achievement.
    I'm terrible at micromanagement (I want my pause button!) but Ghorst seems like:
    a) Not a very micromanagement intensive playstyle.
    b) Low investment armies. Even if they nerf zombies somewhat Ghorst armies are going to have a hefty amount of zombies, and zombies are replacable and cheap.
    c) Good position. Sitting at the corner of the map and not a lot of enemies nearby due to the Chaos Dwarf Vacuum.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Is there going to be a separate Legendary for IE? If not I would suggest Scrag in RoC. You have 0 competitors and can just snooze your way to victory.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    if u want to cheese u have to play skaven, they secured the strategic riserva early on and control the trade

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Is there going to be a separate Legendary for IE? If not I would suggest Scrag in RoC. You have 0 competitors and can just snooze your way to victory.

I agree. Also his armies match up pretty well with what you will end up facing. Not perfect but pretty well.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Man seeing the wealth of you units available to the various chaos factions while nurgle is kinda lacking still, I will probably wait for the first nurgle dlc to do a proper playthrough, maybe.

So probably gonna be Azazel for my first DLC campaign.

Somehow didn't realize it was so close. Then again, soul draining work has that effect on me.

Karoz on
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    On a different note, it's 20 years since Medieval: Total War launched! They've come a long way since then. I remember it being a big upgrade on Shogun, with much more varied units and factions. Also castles. I doubt it has aged particularly well since it made heavy use of sprites etc, but the risk-style campaign map probably isn't too bad. Then, of course, we got Medieval 2 four years later. Some of their finest work, and definitely in the top 3 total war games for me. Aside from the excellent base game, it also has an absolute ton of mods and total overhauls. And to crown it all, both games had brilliant soundtracks.

It's crazy to think that it has been 16 years since they've touched Medieval. In that time they've developed the Warscape Engine, released Empire, Napoleon, Shogun II, Rome II, Atilla, Three Kingdoms and the entirety of the Warhammer series. And there's the sagas on top of that. Every other historical series has got at least one entry in that time. It just seems very strange that Medieval hasn't.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Man seeing the wealth of you units available to the various chaos factions while nurgle is kinda lacking still, I will probably wait for the first nurgle dlc to do a proper playthrough, maybe.

So probably gonna be Azazel for my first DLC campaign.

Somehow didn't realize it was so close. Then again, soul draining work has that effect on me.

Nurgle gets marked units IIRC right? Marauders/warriors/chosen/warshrine/etc?

• Options
    Watched DameOffensives video on Ghorst
    https://youtu.be/K81KowpZ0AQ

1. Short campaign victory really is quite short. Easily achievable.
    2. Long campaign victory is also quite thematic (take you forces back and take control over the empire). Achievable.
    3. You get bonuses (good bonuses) for both short and long campaign victory.

• Options
    Yeah, short campaign victory on most LLs seems achievable in under 50 turns, which is nothing.

I usually rotated around and went for 1 victory in each race (except for Skaven where I did most of them) but I wonder if it being so easy means that to cap the final game off, I should legitimately do 1 short victory on every LL.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I am actually super excited about the much shorter victory conditions in IE. I had so many campaigns in TW2 that only got to turn 40 or so because I just was not feeling the faction at all. Having much easier to achieve victory conditions will really help me go back to give those factions another shot since, even if they don't click with me, I can still get a short victory out of it without spending too much time.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Having achievable goals, then crisis that can show up near the end, then ‘fuck it paint the map’ once you’re done sounds pretty great for IE.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    So does the blood mod actually add dismemberment or was that just a flourish for the trailer?

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    So does the blood mod actually add dismemberment or was that just a flourish for the trailer?

Yes.

It’s also something you can turn off.

Streamer I was watching showed the options - there’s two sliders for blood amount and something I can’t remember, and a check box for dismemberment.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular

Yes.

Streamer I was watching showed the options - there’s two sliders for blood amount and something I can’t remember, and a check box for dismemberment.

Hmm I might actually buy it this time then, since I normally don’t like the amount of blood they have, like I want some, but not “every model is just red now”

• Options
    edited August 2022

Yes.

Hmm I might actually buy it this time then, since I normally don’t like the amount of blood they have, like I want some, but not “every model is just red now”

If you own it for one of the previous games (on the same store), you get it for free.

edit - went back and looked at the options it adds.

Sliders - Blood Particle Scale, Blood Stain Scale.
    Checkbox - Dismemeberment.

So I guess that means you can set it to have massive gouts of blood, but small splotches on the ground/unit models if you don't like them being covered in jam.

Or no blood gouts and huge splotches, I guess?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    You know, Warhammer may have, like $300 across 3 games but at least you don't have to buy the same DLC again for each game like you do with the CoD or Battlefield games. EA has sold us the same half dozen or so maps and guns for (with minimal redress) in every Battlefield game made in the last 15 years. Acti/Bliz are even worse, selling the same game you already own as DLC for another game.

Warhammer would be a prime target for loot boxes in the hands of any other company. You want a better weapon for your legendary lord? Maybe you'll win it from a Warchest. You can only buy them with Warpstone Tokens, a new in game currency bought with real $.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Mortal/Immortal Empires alone is such a huge thing to just give away. Absolutely massive sandbox campaigns, containing most of the content of the previous games (just lacking the story structure, but still keeping all of the personal quests).

I know it drives sales of the older games and DLC, but I'd imagine the amount of people going into Warhammer 3 without 1 and 2 (or in ME's case, going into 2 without owning 1) is not as large as those just continuing on their journey with the series. And of those newcomers, I assume the amount that wait for sales on places like Fanatical are rather high.

As a campaign, they're immense, and they did huge reworks of the existing factions from the first game that I doubt drove a whole lot of new sales, and they just give it away.

Other developers would charge for such campaigns, but CA gives it away for free, gives the race reworks away for free (albeit alongside lord packs), and yet gets called (not here, that I've seen, but elsewhere) a massively greedy company.

I've seen massively greedy companies, and CA is not among them.

edit - watching a bit of Karl Franz gameplay. Holy shit so much went into Immortal Empires. I know it was expected, but every faction having their own minor settlement and city maps for battles, plus themes open field battle maps... So much work went into this. Again, and we're getting it for free.

-Loki- on