Options

[Total War] CA's apology tour

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited April 9
    altid wrote: »

okay who is that empire lord cause she's Elspeth's giving me morgan le fay vibes and seems pretty awesome
    ELSPETH VON DRAKEN

Elspeth von Draken, the Dark Lady of Nuln, is a respected advisor to the Elector Counts and instrumental at keeping the plagues of Nurgle at bay. As a magistrix of the Amethyst Order, the Graveyard Rose may be all that stands in the Maggot Lord’s way.

As a powerful spellcaster, Elspeth von Draken soars across the skies on her Carmine Dragon, with a strong helping of magical mastery under her belt.

Elspeth von Draken is committed to protecting the Empire by any means necessary, and her alliance with Nuln has allowed her to help support the forces of the Empire in a unique way. The true potential of the Empire’s gunpowder units can be unleashed with Nuln’s Imperial Gunnery School, furthering the weaponry of the Empire. To do this, magic and black powder can no longer be separate entities, and instead must work together to ensure the forces of Chaos are kept at bay.

Elspeth's patronage will go a long way in helping to develop the next stage of technological advancement, as she also offers her unique talents to combine her mastery of Death magic into the munitions of the Imperial Gunnery School, creating a combined arms force of Amythest units the foes of the Empire will regret crossing.

Zavian on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Hochland longrifles, Marienburg landship, thunderbarge, goblin hewer, toad dragon, plague ogryn and rot knights

Also looks like a LL and LH for each faction. Recognized Elspeth, Bruckner and Malakai.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited April 9
    Like a true PC Gamer, I went with "troubleshooting my large mod list to figure out what the heck is making it crash at launch" instead of Chaos Dwarfs or Kairos for an hour or so last night instead.

I sort of settled on "modded Durthu" to keep from immediately spending money on DLC, but man some of the big mods are being weird in this version. I kept getting pack errors for some missing reference with Landmarks of Eternity, even when it was my only mod loaded, and everything on the mod page is like "just reinstall the mod it's out of date". But I deleted my entire damn mods folder in Steam, verified files, resubscribed, and it still did it whether loaded alone or with just it and Mixer. I switched to an entirely different Fancy Landmarks mod (there are at least 3 major ones now), and it just crashed on launch despite being updated with no real complaints in the comment section. Finally switched to the Immortal Empires Expanded version of Landmarks of Eternity, and it works just fine (I didn't have IE expanded enabled the first time around with the vanilla version, so who knows).

Sooo I think I at least figured that out and have a stable base to tack more stuff onto, but it was time for bed. And of course now there is another hotfix, which typically doesn't break mods but the adventure will begin anew this evening if it does.

Are there any good mod managers out there now? Kaedrin's was jacked when I tried it last month -- as of now it sounds like it works for some but has lots of weird issues for others. That would improve my life a bit at least, as I could definitely use some profiles to switch back and forth from.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    TIL Slayer engis exist

I mean well duh but still, great to see the red mohawk just starts blastin

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited April 9
    Karoz wrote: »
    TIL Slayer engis exist

I mean well duh but still, great to see the red mohawk just starts blastin

Malakai was (is) a radical inventor, which... doesn't sit well with Dwarfen culture. After a couple disasters, he was forced to take the Slayer Oath, and kind of used that as a loophole to continue pushing the boundaries of technology (he figures that it counts as "seeking death defeating the Dawi's enemies" if he's recklessly field testing crazy weapons systems).

Big shock is that Malakai is the Legendary Lord, with Garagrim Ironfist as the Legendary Hero. (Ungrim Ironfist's son - the guy in the trailer with two axes, three mohawks, and zero pants.) Many people had been speculating on Malakai being the LH, and Grimm Burloksson being the LL.

Otherwise it seems like Elspeth von Draken (LL, Wissenlander death wizard) and Theodore Bruckner (LH, Countess of Nuln's personal thug) vs Tamurkhan (LL, Maggot puppeting an Ogre corpse) and Kayzk the Befouled (LH, Rot Knight jobber).

It looked like the FLC LL will be Epidemius, the Tallyman of Nurgle (a Plague Bearer character).

//

Apparently the full unit list is:
    • Empire: Master Engineer (Lord), Engineer (Hero), Nuln Ironsides, Hochland Long Rifles, Knights of the Black Rose, Marienburg Landship, Steam Tank (Volley Gun)
    • Nurgle: Chaos Lord of Nurgle (Lord), Chaos Sorcerer of Nurgle (Hero), Plague Ogres, Rot Knights, Toad Dragons, Pestigors, Bile Trolls
    • Dwarfs: Daemonslayer (Lord), Dragonslayer (Hero), Doomseekers, Goblin Hewer, Thunderbarge, Grudge Raker Thunderers, Slayer Pirates

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Doing tech support makes you wish for death, so a Slayer Engineer makes lots of sense.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    Lots of new stuff, interested to see how the mechanics / race updates (?) / other stuff works but feels like a good opening bid.

Little surprised to see the Empire focusing so much on gunpowder for the DLC, they already felt pretty gunpowder-ready as a faction. I was rarely stuck using handgunners or outriders and thinking "I really need another ranged high damage unit with bad melee stats." I suppose the landship, volley gun steam tank, and knights may be very distinct from the normal gunpowder army strats.

• Options
    edited April 10
    Hey, mod mysteries solved. I guess I somehow wound up with a bunch of mods in the base data folder, instead of all of them being in the "workshop" subfolder in steam like most steam workshop mods do.

These appear to be the ones that are stubbornly refusing to update despite having updated versions, aaand also why deleting my workshop mods in the normal location did not cause them to update last night.

And, also, a different mod manager that works, made all of that a lot easier to see, and has a button to force redownload active mods. Weird that this is the first patch I've run into all of this (sounds like it may have happened at some point when I ran Kaedrin's mod manager despite it crashing before I could do anything with it), but problem solved at least. Wooh.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Fuck yeeeeeessssss Tamurkhan!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 10
    Having more slayer units is going to be fun in an Ungrim campaign.

I wonder if this will have a mini civ rework like the last one did for Lizards.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited April 10
    Let us all take a moment to show our appreciation for the modder who should have-been-an-employee, ChaosRobie.

I can finally retire my Thunderbarge mod. I could not have had so many RTS Dwarf battles without it.

Also, the GrudgeRaker is going to be amazing. Golly I am keen as a bean.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Let us all take a moment to show our appreciation for the modder who should have-been-an-employee, ChaosRobie.

I can finally retire my Thunderbarge mod. I could not have had so many RTS Dwarf battles without it.

Also, the GrudgeRaker is going to be amazing. Golly I am keen as a bean.

Yeppp -- score another one for "just use the mod they'll add that unit eventually".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    This seems cool. And they're offering piecemeal packages right? I dunno if I care about Empire but I could be very interested in Nurgle.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    https://community.creative-assembly.com/total-war/total-war-warhammer/blogs/13-thrones-of-decay-introducing-tamurkhan-the-maggot-lord

Post describing the DLC for Nurgle including the rework of the campaign mechanics for Nurgle.

I never really enjoyed playing as Nurgle, slot of these changes seem pretty good to me.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    This new dlc looks awesome, the price is justified, and I am loving it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 10
    I'm still in a very weird and silly place with Nurgle in Total Warhammer 3.

Love the idea of the faction, love the kind of sillyness of "we love you with plagues". Slow but steady growth, slow tanky units, cool indirect warfare by spreading plagues everywhere, love it.

But they did too good of a job making the faction disgusting! I tried playing again and my general aversion to bodily fluids and nasty coughing noises starts to actually make me feel nauseous and my throat gets a little scratchy :D Looking at pictures of the units is fine, but toss in all of the sound effects and it just gets me.

It's basically a compliment, but also real!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited April 10
    i played a bit of pharaoh after it was on sale awhile ago, and while I had fun with it (I used my historical TW strategy of fighting defensive battles, waiting for the enemy to march all the way to me (to fatigue them), and using elevation, in this case I hid my melee units behind a dune with ranged on top to lure them in, then moved melees around to flank and beat a bigger army) but the lack of calvary is just a big downer for me. calvary is my favorite element of Total War games (even Warhammer, where bretonnia is my fav faction), so the total lack of cav in pharaoh just kind of kills it a bit for me.

so instead ive now been playing some Warhammer 3, i got shadows of change and champions of chaos during the sale. playing kislev a bit to try out the new units and hag witch lord, who is fun, but tzeentch is calling me to try out next (havent settled on which LL yet)

Zavian on
  • Options
    Mother Ostinky gets the best / worst / dumbest ability in the entire series.

Teleport an army to an elven forest.

Note the language of that ability. AN army, not YOUR army.

The ability is not even mildly balanced and remains absolutely hilarious every time you use it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    This seems cool. And they're offering piecemeal packages right? I dunno if I care about Empire but I could be very interested in Nurgle.

Yes, each is 9 bucks, and the whole thing like 23?

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

The ability is not even mildly balanced and remains absolutely hilarious every time you use it.

Wait holy shit you can use that on other player’s armies? I can just yeet enemy legendary lords off to random other continents?

I never even considered that in my Ostankya playthrough.

• Options

Wait holy shit you can use that on other player’s armies? I can just yeet enemy legendary lords off to random other continents?

I never even considered that in my Ostankya playthrough.

Yes.

Settra the Great King, the Imperishable, Khemrikhara, The Great King of Nehekhara, King of Kings, Opener of the Way, Wielder of the Divine Flame, Punisher of Nomads, The Great Unifier, Commander of the Golden Legion, Sacred of Appearance, Bringer of Light, Father of Hawks, Builder of Cities, Protector of the Two Worlds, Keeper of the Hours, Chosen of Ptra, High Steward of the Horizon, Sailor of the Great Vitae, Sentinel of the Two Realms, The Undisputed, Begetter of the Begat, Scourge of the Faithless, Carrion-feeder, First of the Charnel Valley, Rider of the Sacred Chariot, Vanquisher of Vermin, Champion of the Death Arena, Mighty Lion of the Infinite Desert, Emperor of the Shifting Sands, He Who Holds The Sceptre, Great Hawk Of The Heavens, Arch-Sultan of Atalan, Waker of the Hierotitan, Monarch of the Sky, Majestic Emperor of the Shifting Sands, Champion of the Desert Gods, Breaker of the Ogre Clans, Builder of the Great Pyramid, Terror of the Living, Master of the Never-Ending Horizon, Master of the Necropolises, Taker of Souls, Tyrant to the Foolish, Bearer of Ptra's Holy Blade, Scion of Usirian, Scion of Nehek, The Great, Chaser of Nightmares, Keeper of the Royal Herat, Founder of the Mortuary Cult, Banisher of the Grand Hierophant, High Lord Admiral of the Deathfleets, Guardian of the Charnal Pass, Tamer of the Liche King, Unliving Jackal Lord, Dismisser of the Warrior Queen, Charioteer of the Gods, He Who Does Not Serve, Slayer off Reddittras, Scarab Purger, Favoured of Usirian, Player of the Great Game, Liberator of Life, Lord Sand, Wrangler of Scorpions, Emperor of the Dunes, Eternal Sovereign of Khemri's Legions, Seneschal of the Great Sandy Desert, Curserer of the Living, Regent of the Eastern Mountains, Warden of the Eternal Necropolis, Herald of all Heralds, Caller of the Bitter Wind, God-Tamer, Master of the Mortis River, Guardian of the Dead, Great Keeper of the Obelisks, Deacon of the Ash River, Belated of Wakers, General of the Mighty Frame, Summoner of Sandstorms, Master of all Necrotects, Prince of Dust, Tyrant of Araby, Purger of the Greenskin Breathers, Killer of the False God's Champions, Tyrant of the Gold Dunes, Golden Bone Lord, Avenger of the Dead, Carrion Master, Eternal Warden of Nehek's Lands, Breaker of Djaf's Bonds.

and brand new resident of Gaean Vale.

Archaon the Everchosen got a condo there last week, say hi for me!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 11
    Did they reduce the Warhammer 3 install size?

I remember this being over 100gb, but I'm reinstalling and it's only 70gb.

edit - ah, installed size, 113gb. That's more like it.

-Loki- on
  • Options
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    It's funny how CA are so good at making impactful motifs and themes for their trailers when the actual game soundtrack seems to actively avoid being memorable. It's not that the in game stuff is especially bad, it's just that it's cut up into some many pieces in order to fit a 'dynamic' approach to music that it robs it of all structure and impact. Or at least that's how I view it anyway.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I've been playing a lot of Pharaoh (the old Impressions game city builder) and as a result I'm thinking of picking up Total War Pharaoh to full my current love of Ancient Egypt.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I've been playing a lot of Pharaoh (the old Impressions game city builder) and as a result I'm thinking of picking up Total War Pharaoh to full my current love of Ancient Egypt.

The old version or the new one? I've been thinking of picking up the remaster, but there was some hubbub about a few changes they had made and I just sort of let it get away from me.

• Options
    edited April 11
    I honestly couldn’t get into the new one, the graphics are just too different and cartoony.

The old one I feel like holds up fine. You can get a widescreen mod if that is important to you.

Edit: honestly though, if someone really wanted an updated Pharaoh style game and didn’t want to futz around with playing the old ones and getting them to run, I would probably recommend Nebuchadnezzar at this point. It is a bit different and still has a few oddities here and there, but most of the really serious flaws have been ironed out and its a pretty decent production chain and monument builder at this point.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    It's funny how CA are so good at making impactful motifs and themes for their trailers when the actual game soundtrack seems to actively avoid being memorable. It's not that the in game stuff is especially bad, it's just that it's cut up into some many pieces in order to fit a 'dynamic' approach to music that it robs it of all structure and impact. Or at least that's how I view it anyway.

Having that issue since Vampire Counts

I think only like Ogre Kingdoms actually have decent soundtracks

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Started Empire Campaign #953300 because at this point its a comfort game thing and boy oh boy has Reikland's starting position become a hell of a lot more precarious. It used to be you could clear out the seccessionists and then either rush for Marienburg or build up a bit and decide if you were going to go after the Orcs in the south or the marauders in the north or maybe pick a fight with Bretonnia for the lols, now its more like five simultanous apocalypses and you're just kind of running around putting out fires. Middenland fell on like turn five to a combination of beastmen, Orcs and Festus. Kemmler now actually expands rather than sitting on his butt like he used to and took Marienburg and a big chunk of Bretonnia, Vlad has grabbed a huge chunk of the East and will likely become a problem sooner rather than later and the strongest units I have to fight all this bullshit is crossbowmen.

Overall, I am enjoying the experience but its not exactly the "relaxing comfort game campaign" that I had planned.

• Options
    i started playing a bit with Kairos in IE to check out the new stuff from the DLC I got last sale, and I like how he has his own sort of starter island in not-antarctica. it seems like an easy start so far. I tend to like IE more as there's less pressure

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular

If that's the case, then

How
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC4pbnFzNwk

Far
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNPUNQUrYkw

CA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNT968wqCOU

Has
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAAo5E2GKs

Fallen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf5qwoCE6eY

I blame it on the loss of Jeff van Dyck.

• Options
    edited April 13
    Zavian wrote: »
    i started playing a bit with Kairos in IE to check out the new stuff from the DLC I got last sale, and I like how he has his own sort of starter island in not-antarctica. it seems like an easy start so far. I tend to like IE more as there's less pressure

Heh in my experience the first few steps are easy, then you find yourself surrounded by everyone that hates you. That kind of late early game phase was rough until I could bust out into Lustria a bit, but maybe it will work out differently in your case!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I've been back in after buying Shadows of Change on sale too. Still incredibly disappointed they made a badass character like Aekhold an LH while Epidemius who's kind of... nothing is gonna be an LL, but I have a huge Tzeentch bias.

That being said, I've been enjoying a lot of the new stuff for Tzeentch. I couldn't enjoy Changeling much just because the campaign felt so... frictionless? Like I heard people say you can't lose it, but I find that whatever since a lot of campaigns basically can't be loss. I think what I don't like is just that it feels like you aren't even really interacting with anyone else. They can't even SEE you to react most of the time, so you just kind of do whatever. But when I tried out Kairos it was super fun. Especially since they finally solved the shit replenishment.
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Zavian wrote: »

Heh in my experience the first few steps are easy, then you find yourself surrounded by everyone that hates you. That kind of late early game phase was rough until I could bust out into Lustria a bit, but maybe it will work out differently in your case!

I find with the new additions the start has become quite a bit easier. Oxyotl used to be kind of an ordeal to overcome because he runs roughshod over his starting enemy faction and by the time you've secured the east of the southern chaos wastes, he's secured his half and is on you with a bunch of big beefy dinosaurs. But the Chaos Lord of Tzeentch kind of changes the equation since you can recruit them early game to assist Kairos and they'll fuck up his dinosaurs, especially if you have the Accursed Claws or an Exalted Hero to assist them. Additionally, the Tzaangors are kind of an upgrade to Marauders that act as a nice stopgap until you unlock Chaos Warriors. The other big change is if you can get Force Peace researched early, Oxyotl can declare war on you as much as he wants and you can just go "lolno" and then steal his settlements if you have enough grimmoires and he just has to impotently shake his blow pipe at you.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

The old version or the new one? I've been thinking of picking up the remaster, but there was some hubbub about a few changes they had made and I just sort of let it get away from me.

The remaster. There are a few changes/bugs that leave me scratching my head (Forts cant be across a river from the Military Recruiter for instance), but the only other big changes I've seen are the option to turn on a global labor pool (Building's don't need to send walkers to find workers) and all battle are auto battle (which is a mixed bag, as it means you can cheese the enemies by placing fortifications down only where they spawn). Frankly, I never like the walker system, its a neat idea that you have to have people living within a certain distance to your buildings but there were ways to cheese it and the fact that road blocks were all or nothing never made me like it. Like yes i want my houses to degrade because my merchant decided to try to sell pottery at the gem mines rather than the houses two blocks to the left of the bazaar.

Auto battles are what ever, the military system never did much for me.

• Options

The remaster. There are a few changes/bugs that leave me scratching my head (Forts cant be across a river from the Military Recruiter for instance), but the only other big changes I've seen are the option to turn on a global labor pool (Building's don't need to send walkers to find workers) and all battle are auto battle (which is a mixed bag, as it means you can cheese the enemies by placing fortifications down only where they spawn). Frankly, I never like the walker system, its a neat idea that you have to have people living within a certain distance to your buildings but there were ways to cheese it and the fact that road blocks were all or nothing never made me like it. Like yes i want my houses to degrade because my merchant decided to try to sell pottery at the gem mines rather than the houses two blocks to the left of the bazaar.

Auto battles are what ever, the military system never did much for me.

Pharoah was probably the most fidgety with walkers honestly, unless you count the handful of caesar 3 missions with no gates. Caesar 3 was more fidgety in other ways though.

Zeus/Poseidon and Emperor were a lot more forgiving and streamlined and I honestly didn’t miss the harder mechanics. On the other hand sanctuaries and great wall segments just don’t quite give the same feeling of accomplishment as building a big ass giant pyramid.

• Options
    ...steamtank volleyguns. Master engineer lord/engineer hero (the Engineer lord can use a steam tank as a mount). Hochland Long rifles. Landships... sheeet. Empire definitely got a firepower boost
    https://youtu.be/FFTRScf7cbY?si=YxZvaUjoRxGaxy0b

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Also new Balthazar Gelt campaign. Like, complete overhaul. Looks fun (also, Gelt now has infinite wizards)
    https://youtu.be/VBSbcbOcFbg?si=xhtQAoK_1Upymgca

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    Empire update looks really good. Metal bros, Summon The Avengers Counts, new tech / new wizard / new skills / better STEAM TANKS that WANT YOU TO DRIVE CLOSER so you can HIT THEM WITH YOUR SWORD.

The only thing missing is a special lad with a special eyepatch getting the recognition he deserves. Guess that has to wait for later.

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Sweet mother mercy yes, those Empire updates are exactly what I've been waiting for!

Was not expecting Gelt in Cathay though, Empire within a different Empire (geographically) should be interesting.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    I think some wires got crossed because 'tubers have been showing Dorf stuff too even though there hasn't been the official post for them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltcK3i27O9c