As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Total War] Pharaoh clever title

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    did they fix the siege stuff

Hahaaaaaaa

No

It's been so long since I've done an actual siege I barely remember them.

They are all minor settlement battles.

Fiatil
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i havent played total war since rome mebbe i give a go or are the crab tanks only tw2

obF2Wuw.png
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    i havent played total war since rome mebbe i give a go or are the crab tanks only tw2

Crab tanks are from the Vampirates who won't be a thing in TW3 for a few more weeks BUT we do have Kislevite warsleds which let a bunch of dudes do drivebys like NRA santas. Also they were so absurdly OP that they had to eat a hard nerf on range.

FencingsaxKarozsurrealitycheckGiantGeek2020
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I’m really interested in how slaneesh and Tzeench are going to be with the DLC. Playing a bit with Daniel it seems like Tzeench ranged and slanesh cav/flankers are seriously strong when you have tough infantry to put up in front, and it seems like everyone is just getting chaos warriors and chosen flat out now (with a bit of investment at least, but I can’t imagine warriors are too far down the tree and they are all you really need).

I feel like daniel/legion of chaos is pretty underrated anyway once you can get 3 or 4 provinces up and get down the tech tree a bit.

Jealous Deva on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

Crab tanks are from the Vampirates who won't be a thing in TW3 for a few more weeks BUT we do have Kislevite warsleds which let a bunch of dudes do drivebys like NRA santas. Also they were so absurdly OP that they had to eat a hard nerf on range.

It depends on if they were referring to the Soul Grinders (TWW3) or Rotting Leviathans (TWW2) as "Crab Tanks". Both could be referred to as such I think and - oh god, now I really hope they have custom animations when they fight each other.

Moridin889ElvenshaeGiantGeek2020
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2022

I've honestly been surprised that TWW2 isn't your favorite game. The Vampirate crabs are glorious:

ss_5310d54bc930afd2cb3ec0144747570d73383b6c.jpg

And yeah they're being added to TWW3 at the end of the month, if you own TWW2 and that DLC.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    XantomasFencingsaxKarozElvenshaeLord_AsmodeussurrealitycheckGiantGeek2020
    I’m really interested in how slaneesh and Tzeench are going to be with the DLC. Playing a bit with Daniel it seems like Tzeench ranged and slanesh cav/flankers are seriously strong when you have tough infantry to put up in front, and it seems like everyone is just getting chaos warriors and chosen flat out now (with a bit of investment at least, but I can’t imagine warriors are too far down the tree and they are all you really need).

I feel like daniel/legion of chaos is pretty underrated anyway once you can get 3 or 4 provinces up and get down the tech tree a bit.

Are the demon factions getting them or is it just Warriors of Chaos with their respective marked units/army?

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    IIRC demons get marked units too at least to some extent (but not basic WOC units or unmarkable WOC like dragon ogres and the like), same as they currently get slanesh marauders, khorne warriors, Tzeench knights, etc.

I don’t know if they get everything though.

I assume eventually something similar will be done for beastmen eventually since there already exist khorne minotaurs.

Jealous Deva on
    Slaanesh getting some chaos warriors would be a god send; they're an army that is all about flanking but without a halfway solid frontline they can't really keep enemies from just turning to face their flankers.

FencingsaxGiantGeek2020
    Hrm I mean you kinda need the cheap frontline and then hit and run with your skirmish troops, but then yeah the enemy is more likely to ignore you frontline/anvil by default.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    The marauders with whips have a pretty impressive defense stat. But they are pretty weak against ranged, elite/heavy infantry

Like I know the Marauders job is to be that frontline, but the simple fact is they don't have the armor or shielding to credibly do that and not get ripped a new asshole by either real deal infantry or ranged. Also since they're not even that fast they're going to be magnets for artillery which isn't bad neccesary in that it spares your cavalry but still...

All I'm asking for is infantry that doesn't eat shit in the face of a stiff breeze.

Fencingsax
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Ivar wrote: »
    I recently finished a Legendary campaign in Realms of Chaos with Western Provinces.
    It was easier than I expected, my first Legendary victory in any Total War game.

I don't think I'll ever play the Realms of Chaos campaign again though, at least not with any of the initial factions.
    That last campaign battle is just extremely boring to me, and it takes way too long to finish.
    Maybe if they make it autoresolvable like the other survival battles, but with Immortal Empires just around the corner there doesn't seem to be much need to play RoC at all.
    This is the only mod I use in WH3:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2790243463
    A simple mod that enables autoresolve for the final battle against Be'lakor in the Forge of Souls (just like the four Daemon Prince soul survival battles in the Chaos realms).

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    I thought all Slaanesh marauders have meat shield trait or is that just wishful thinking?

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Slaanesh getting some chaos warriors would be a god send; they're an army that is all about flanking but without a halfway solid frontline they can't really keep enemies from just turning to face their flankers.

In campaign the answer is "Don't have a frontline. Flank them from every direction". It will be tougher in Immortal empires, but in the normal campaign only Kislev and ogres are threat, because against everyone else you can either crush them with a raw charge (Tzeentch, Cathay) or just slice up their units one by one and retreat before any reinforcement can support them (while your cav will absolutely dominate their cav). Especially true once you have keepers of secrets/soulgrinders that have the mass to easily break free and have melee deadliness to mess up SEMs.

Kislev overall is just tough, because everything has ranged weapons (massed warsleds in particular is problematic for Exalted keepers/Nkari) and you cant break enemies by overwhelming force.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    ur tellin me i gotta buy another game to get crabs

but i already have crabs irl

wait no i mean

also i got the game only to find out u can play as chaos kislev or cathay which is a bit surprising because i would have been happy to settle with playing with an army of nothing but snotlings but my dreams have been crushed

did they really just make cathay call tzeentch chian-chi because it sounds like a chinesey version of the name... incredibly powerful

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    Elvenshae

wait no i mean

also i got the game only to find out u can play as chaos kislev or cathay which is a bit surprising because i would have been happy to settle with playing with an army of nothing but snotlings but my dreams have been crushed

did they really just make cathay call tzeentch chian-chi because it sounds like a chinesey version of the name... incredibly powerful

The hell are you talking about

I'm drunk and I think you're drunk

surrealitycheckFiatil
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited August 2022

Not just one game. Two games. You need WH1 and WH2 to get digital crabs in the third game.

CA really need to bundle that shit on all platforms for IE launch. WH2 is still £40 on steam right now.

edit: i forgot about the Vampirate DLC itself. That's also needed.

danx on
    surrealitycheck
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah that’s a drunk post if ever I saw one.

surrealitycheckKarozGiantGeek2020
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Yeah that’s a drunk post if ever I saw one.

Naw, that's just surrealitycheck :wink:

surrealitycheckdanxSpectrumKarozMoridin889Smaug6FiatilOlivawElvenshae
    lad's that post was a carefully considered riff on the implicit orientialism of cathay and (insert some edward said shit here) idk man i just wanna get some crabs with guns

obF2Wuw.png
    KarozHappylilElfElvenshaeMechMantisGiantGeek2020
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    You know. Im not sure if you need wh2 to play vampirates (get crabs) . Once IM 8s out you may just need the DLC and WH3 Or WH2

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Pretty sure Steam won’t let you buy DLC for a game you don’t own?

KarozFencingsax
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Been playing total war 1 just to get some Xbox cheeves and man it’s so much harder than the later games. Auto resolve almost never works, and assasinations are right out. The ai seems more tenacious and willing to bunch up it’s armies, and they’re harder to finish off even if you do win a battle

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

wait no i mean

I think Tzeentch has been Chian-chi for Cathay for a long time it's just a bit of very minor obscure lore until recently, but I could be misremembering. A lot of the different cultural groups in WHF had different names for the Chaos Gods just GW doesn't use them nearly as much because it's hard to remember I guess. Technically all the Chaos Gods go by a ton of different names in different places, but it's easier for writers to just use the one most of the time so they do. Very rarely do they call Slaanesh Loesh just because that's what the Kurgans call them. Or Khorne Kharneth.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    FencingsaxFiatil
    edited August 2022
    yeah its just very in line with the "back of a schoolboy's notebook" worldbuilding that turns up in warhammer, i appreciate they stick to their silly guns

wq964fplh1jp.png

is this how u totally war

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    FiatilMechMantis
    Just wait for a sale. Total War games are on sale pretty frequently and Warhammer 2 has had some decent discounts lately.

KarozKruiteLord_AsmodeusElvenshae
    edited August 2022
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Just wait for a sale. Total War games are on sale pretty frequently and Warhammer 2 has had some decent discounts lately.

its too late i downloaded the crabs but it turns out to be a 40k game

j9up6mojmelj.jpg

me and the sisters just hangin out

aukbqtx4s48u.png

apparently the Chambre Slaaneshicale de la Haute Couture waging war

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    FencingsaxKarozLord_AsmodeusElvenshaeZavianGiantGeek2020
    Prohass wrote: »
    Been playing total war 1 just to get some Xbox cheeves and man it’s so much harder than the later games. Auto resolve almost never works, and assasinations are right out. The ai seems more tenacious and willing to bunch up it’s armies, and they’re harder to finish off even if you do win a battle

Ironically, the 2 times I beat the proper WH1 campaign it was with the "hard" factions; did it as Kholek (go go doomtack and vassal horde) and once as Ragnar (where the psychopathic wood elves basically ate brettonia for me and were only too happy to ally with me.)

Come to think of it, most of the WH1 factions I won with I never ended up playing again in WH2, even post their various reworks, so that should be fun whenever I swing back to them in WH3.

Never used the Elector Counts system, never used Bloodlines, etc.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Man I tried so hard in both games to do empire and every single time it was just a giant pain in the ass; The electors are a disorganized horde of assholes who just hate you, theres like a 50/50 chance that brettonia comes to fuck you up, Khazrak is the yucking it up king, the vampires will eat everything to the east... It's just such a miserable affair.

edited August 2022
    i was wondering why i would kill a whole army and lose like 50 peasants and get told it was a close one but apparently the game counts ammo as a loss? which is pretty funny

fpyvitdynp31.png

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    FencingsaxElvenshaeGiantGeek2020
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    i was wondering why i would kill a whole army and lose like 50 peasants and get told it was a close one but apparently the game counts ammo as a loss? which is pretty funny

Yeah it's weird. Ammo counts towards your balance of power/combat potential too but it's tiered. This results in a few cases where spending ammo that'd trigger a threshold can prolong battles because combat potential is how the game determines when a battle is over.

Zerkovich did a whole vid on Combat Potential. I don't know if Combat Potential has been changed in anyway in WH3.

danx on
    Moridin889
    budget:

Peasants with spears $100
    Peasants with jorts $120
    Guy riding a motorbike $50
    40000 hellfire missiles for my hot air balloon rocket gunships $4200000

somebody good with economics pls help me my provinces are starving

obF2Wuw.png
    LoserForHireXKarozHappylilElfLord_AsmodeusElvenshaeBigityOlivawGiantGeek2020
    budget:

Peasants with spears $100
    Peasants with jorts $120
    Guy riding a motorbike $50
    40000 hellfire missiles for my hot air balloon rocket gunships $4200000

somebody good with economics pls help me my provinces are starving

Ah a US senators budget

KarozLord_AsmodeusElvenshaeOlivawGiantGeek2020
    edited August 2022
    when i found out the hot air balloons shoot explosions and khorne armies are composed entirely of white men it was really inevitable that i just built a lot of them and watched the ai struggle

also i find it deeply peculiar that most of ur troops die when occupying an empty settlement... like whats killing them, tetanus?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    when i found out the hot air balloons shoot explosions and khorne armies are composed entirely of white men it was really inevitable that i just built a lot of them and watched the ai struggle

also i find it deeply peculiar that most of ur troops die when occupying an empty settlement... like whats killing them, tetanus?

I think it's technically the amount staying behind to make it a town under your control.

Moridin889Elvenshae
    They turn into colonists in the settlement. If your army doesn't have a lot of infantry then you need to pay more to ship colonists over.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    in this case given the army is 90% airships im just assuming theyre peeling bits of the cockpit off to build walls

obF2Wuw.png
    ProhassFiatilMoridin889stopgapLord_AsmodeusElvenshaeGiantGeek2020
    They settle down and start a family of airships, and that’s how you get new air ships

FencingsaxsurrealitycheckKarozMoridin889Lord_AsmodeusBethrynTerrendosElvenshaeOlivawGiantGeek2020