As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Total War] Pharaoh clever title

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Started up a new High Elf Campaign in WHII because now I understand(ish) how the game works after beating the WHIII Kislev campaign.

I think I just hate the High Elf influence mechanic.

I've spent like 20 god damned turns trying to convince another faction to confederate and they will not budge. We're gonna paint the map my fellow pointy eared assholes just join already

I almost want to start over and just go full on murder hobo and crush every other High Elf faction beneath my obviously stylish if overwrought boot.

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    There's a random trait that high elf factions can get that really hurt your chances, the wary trait. They take a lot more effort and are a real pain. Maybe it's that?

The way to deal with them is usually a) influence bomb them and get them into a war with spare influence or b) kill them. If Saphery or Ellyrion get wary I'll 100% kill them and use them to farm influence.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Are you mod averse?

Because there’s a ‘recruit defeated legendary lords’ mod I found that makes crushing ‘friendly’ factions rather than confederating more tolerable.

Elvenshae
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Started up a new High Elf Campaign in WHII because now I understand(ish) how the game works after beating the WHIII Kislev campaign.

I've spent like 20 god damned turns trying to convince another faction to confederate and they will not budge. We're gonna paint the map my fellow pointy eared assholes just join already

I almost want to start over and just go full on murder hobo and crush every other High Elf faction beneath my obviously stylish if overwrought boot.

Are you using that influence to make a positive relation with the faction you want to confederate? If so, that is the wrong way to use it. While you do want a positive relationship with them, confederation mostly cares about comparative power ranking and current military situation to determine whether or not to accept a confederation. So what you really want to do is use your influence to get other factions to hate and declare war on the faction you want to confederate to put them in a bad military situation and destroy their armies, and then offer them the confederation. Also keep in mind that factions consider alliances as part of their military power, so if they have a bunch of alliances and defensive pacts, you'll want to use influence between them and their allies to get those alliances broken.

PSN|AspectVoid
    HappylilElf
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    as a wise man once said

dont confederate, annihilate

playing the cathay campaign and my brother kills one of my caravans. i spend the rest of the game just slowly annihilating his cities with helicopter gunships as he spams peace requests, even as somebody is hitting the victory condition. the turn the game ended i was sieging his capital

his crime however, was not destroying the caravan... it was being a man. as the sky junks are piloted by women along with most of the artillery i made an army of Misandry and his andry got real fuckin missed

ihxqid5e13zf.png

he predicts when u gonna sneeze

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    ElvenshaeBigityFencingsaxBloodySlothOlivawGiantGeek2020BahamutZERO
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Yeah basically you want to use Influence to help you get your future confederates to declare war on your enemies, which will then massively boost their opinion and also potentially weaken them for future conquest.

Different HE Legendary Lords are generally harder to confederate than others though. Allarielle is typically pretty easy, I can usually snag her by Turn 20 or so. Tyrion has always required a massive bribe for me to confederate (I've seen a few cases where folks got him to join them very early at minimal cost, but never done it myself) and when I say massive I mean 150k+ gold. And never go to war with him, or he becomes darn near impossible to confederate.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I love the High Elves, but I hate the Influence mechanic.

KarozKruitedanx
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Cao Cao's execution of the same mechanic is far superior. HE need a few nobles out there just farming influence.

MassenaOlivaw
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

I don't use influence on diplomacy. They should acknowledge my superiority already. That's the high elf way.

ElvenshaeFencingsax
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    as a wise man once said

dont confederate, annihilate

playing the cathay campaign and my brother kills one of my caravans. i spend the rest of the game just slowly annihilating his cities with helicopter gunships as he spams peace requests, even as somebody is hitting the victory condition. the turn the game ended i was sieging his capital

his crime however, was not destroying the caravan... it was being a man. as the sky junks are piloted by women along with most of the artillery i made an army of Misandry and his andry got real fuckin missed

ihxqid5e13zf.png

he predicts when u gonna sneeze

I didn't sneeze but I did spew out a bit of water when I ran across this breezing through the forums.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    also after installing tw2 i nominate the way this game forces you to manually try and find free dlc and install it instead of just bundling it with the "all dlc and game" package for the most unbelievably baffling and stupid dlc system of all time

it is insane to me that it will force you to "claim free content" by going through the menu... but if you click it with steam open it then opens the steam BROWSER page, and makes you click a button marked "OPEN THIS WITH STEAM" that then... does nothing

im actually aroused by how bad it is thank u ca. imagine if the "all dlc" bundle actually had all the dlc, not all the dlc other than a subset of the free dlc (?)

im going to be an obese space frog

osn6c80sgmym.png

me getting ready to do some shit with my dino bois

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    FiatildanxAl_watKarozBloodySlothHerothstopgapXantomasMechMantisLord_AsmodeusBahamutZERO
    It's even worse than that because there's a shit ton of free dlc on their tw access website that people still don't know about.

RoR for game one factions
    The Catchweb Spidershrine mount
    Rakarth LL
    Great bray shaman
    Glade captain
    Gotrek and Felix
    Ogre Mercs

FencingsaxMoridin889Corsini
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Going through the process just really reinforces how thankful to them you should be for that free DLC. How would you ever know it was free (and very generously given of course) if not?

steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Don't forget - there's also free DLC in Total War Access. You have to find the specific articles, click on them and go through the process there. The DLC available there is:

30th Birthday Regiments of Reknown
    Gotrek and Felix (legendary mercenary heroes with their own quest for Empire, Brettonia and Dwarves)
    Catchweb Spidershrine (Goblin Shaman mount)
    Glade Captain (Wood Elf Hero)
    Urien Rakarth (Dark Elf Legendary Lord)
    Ogre Mercenaries (Ogres that are mercenaries)

They're real bad at giving you free stuff.

edit - beaten

-Loki- on
    FiatilFencingsaxKaroz
    edited August 2022
    They did Brian Blessed dirty by putting Gotrek on TWA for their metrics.

Metrics. Metrics! Metrics!!!!!!!!

danx on
    Karoz
    actually the amount of clicks and problem solving ur doing is actually them crowdsourcing the campaign ai for tw3, so in reality its not free, ur the mechanical kislevian getting ur brane harvested

obF2Wuw.png
    BahamutZERO
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Are you using that influence to make a positive relation with the faction you want to confederate? If so, that is the wrong way to use it. While you do want a positive relationship with them, confederation mostly cares about comparative power ranking and current military situation to determine whether or not to accept a confederation. So what you really want to do is use your influence to get other factions to hate and declare war on the faction you want to confederate to put them in a bad military situation and destroy their armies, and then offer them the confederation. Also keep in mind that factions consider alliances as part of their military power, so if they have a bunch of alliances and defensive pacts, you'll want to use influence between them and their allies to get those alliances broken.
    NB - It has been at least fixed that factions will NOT include your alliance with them as part of their personal power for the purposes of confederation.

They will consider it for purposes of vassalization, however. (At least as of current patch in WH3, who knows if they change it in a couple weeks)

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    It still baffles the shit out of me that they'd hide a legendary lord in Total War Access.

A hero or a mount or something, sure. Legendary Lord? What the fuck.

danx
    they should show ur bloated corpses rank up at the end of a battle

they should get posthumous medals for fragging 130 elves

obF2Wuw.png
    KarozFencingsaxstopgapFiatilMoridin889
    They actually did rank up occasionally in auto resolve for a while because the AR calculation didn't always kill them. Not sure if it's still a thing.

Karoz
    Gettig a good hit with a Bloated Corpse is just the best.

Oh look, an elite regiment slowly trundling towards me?

HAVE A HUG

Karozdanx
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Legend had a video just a few days ago showing off a great one from a disaster battle

time linked to 8:38
    https://youtu.be/TdchIseHtJM?t=518

XNnw6Gk.jpg

I've made progress but yeah this seems like a better strategy because the progress I made was almost wholly by assigning war targets and letting them use up their armies against them.

Which annoys me a lot because reasons.

But I mean it's Warhammer so "Fuck it all, anyone not with us is a monstrous abomination so FUCK THEM, RUIN THEM BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY UNTIL THEY SUBMIT" is kinda par for the course.

The fuck you say?

I'm killing all of the zombie crabs, schek.

All. Of. The. Crabs.

And I'm gonna kill them slow.

FencingsaxsurrealitycheckFiatilElvenshae
    Ultra unit sizes I’m guessing.

Bloated corpses get mad high kills with a few bunched Ultra sized units.

Elvenshae
  • VicVic Registered User regular

I've made progress but yeah this seems like a better strategy because the progress I made was almost wholly by assigning war targets and letting them use up their armies against them.

Which annoys me a lot because reasons.

But I mean it's Warhammer so "Fuck it all, anyone not with us is a monstrous abomination so FUCK THEM, RUIN THEM BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY UNTIL THEY SUBMIT" is kinda par for the course.

My current strategy is to have a very relaxed approach to potential confederation targets. Best case scenario they build up their settlements and eventually accept confederation, but they can be quite useful even if they don't. The value of a guarded flank should not be underestimated and there are almost always other directions to expand.

If they stay healthy you'll most likely have a stalwart ally and trading partner. If they don't they'll still provide a buffer defence against enemies that you would otherwise have had to divert resources to fight, at least temporarily. I suppose they could theoretically turn on you, but I've never had that happen.

HappylilElf
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Ok having never played a horde faction I was playing the beastmen campaign in 1 for 70 turns before I realised you could recruit other armies..I’m a dummy

Also annoyingly Xbox achievements still bugged for 2, work fine in 1

KarozFiatilElvenshae

The fuck you say?

I'm killing all of the zombie crabs, schek.

All. Of. The. Crabs.

And I'm gonna kill them slow.

dont worry these were the sketchy elves that u dont like

u know, the no-good fucked up elves

(if u like high elves its dark if u like dark elves its high if u like both of them its wood if u like wood its high and dark, this is called Balants)

and yes this was a siege where i ran 6 through the gate and there were like 2-3 melee units clustered around the entrance and it all went a bit sideways

obF2Wuw.png
    FencingsaxKarozHappylilElf
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    In Warhammer 2 or 3, if you want someone to like you, give them gifts of gold. Small gifts are the most cost effective. You generally get about 10 relations per small gift. The High Elves have a crazy good economy so by turn 50 you should be swimming in GPT. Like others have said you want to save your influence points for making other factions hate each other. So say you are trying to confederate Cothique. Give them a couple of small gifts per turn. Use your norbles to "secure influence" on enemy settlements. That should give you enough influence to harm relations between Cothique and, say Caledor. Eventually they'll declare war on each other and being so far apart and both relatively passive factions, they'll probably never actually join battle. But because Caledor is as strong as they are (but both very weak compared to the player) they will both be more likely to confederate. Never get defensive or military alliances with any of the other High Elves. They will drag you into the most petty wars. Trade with them, give them gifts so they like you but do not join their wars. You're the puppetmaster, not them.

edited August 2022
    ec57h5la28o2.png

noble warriors....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opAqlG6c0Bc

somebody disturbed their picnic

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    KarozSpectrum
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    ec57h5la28o2.png

noble warriors....

Bloaty Bois are the best. I have saved more than a few unwinnable battles by dropping one into the right situation. I think I managed to get around 400 kills with one once. An enemy blob had a small indentation in it on one side. I managed to get around to that side and took out like, 5 units in one go.

edited August 2022
    i just imagine the captain walking over to the huge pile of goo and solemnly putting a hand-carved piece of eight into the one remaining shoe and saluting

one of my captains defected and is now raiding my territory as an enemy, but the game still thinks hes on my side - i cant take offensive actions against him - and when i negotiate with him i get "missing string". curse u tiny tim u hacked the mainframe

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    FencingsaxKaroz
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    It still baffles the shit out of me that they'd hide a legendary lord in Total War Access.

I'm honesstly annoyed that there is anything there at all; Like I paid for the game on steam, but then I need to log in to your thing that I maybe use once a year and then loop it into my steam account.

Why not just put it out as a FLC for steam users or bundle them in with the content pack DLCs?

Gaddez wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

I'm honesstly annoyed that there is anything there at all; Like I paid for the game on steam, but then I need to log in to your thing that I maybe use once a year and then loop it into my steam account.

Why not just put it out as a FLC for steam users or bundle them in with the content pack DLCs?

Because they want you to sign up for Their Thing, pretty much. Total War Access gives them a direct line to you and your e-mail and such without having to use Steam as a proxy.

steam_sig.png
    KarozElvenshaeKruiteFencingsaxMoridin889
    edited August 2022
    https://youtu.be/X0bvDMa3_NE

Champions of Chaos now preorderable on Steam for $16 $14.39
    ABOUT THIS CONTENT
    The Champions of Chaos Lords Pack introduces four new playable Legendary Lords to Total War: WARHAMMER III, usable in both the Realm of Chaos and Immortal Empires campaigns.

Embark on campaigns of domination as Valkia the Bloody, Festus the Leechlord, Azazel Prince of Damnation and Vilitch the Curseling. These Lords may be used in WARHAMMER III’s Realm of Chaos and Immortal Empires campaigns. However, they feature their own campaign mechanics and objectives, and do not engage with the Ursun storyline in the Realm of Chaos campaign.

Over time, players can choose to elevate lowly mortal units, such as Marauders, through the Chaos ranks to become powerful servants of the dark gods, such as mighty Chaos Knights and Chosen. Chaos Lords and Heroes may also be elevated all the way to Daemon Prince status, and even dedicated to the service of one of the Dark Gods.

• 4 new Legendary Lords to experience...
    • ...each with a suite of new Chaos-themed campaign mechanics
    • The Champions of Chaos are playable in Immortal Empires and the Realm of Chaos campaign
    • Over 50 new battlefield units

Karoz on
    ElvenshaedanxFencingsaxFiendishrabbitZavianLord_AsmodeusHavelock2.0
    So, does anyone have a recommended mod list for III? I'm wrapping up a game of II (never played Teclis, so fixing that) and looking to start a game of III before Immortal Empires comes out.

Elvenshae wrote: »
    So, does anyone have a recommended mod list for III? I'm wrapping up a game of II (never played Teclis, so fixing that) and looking to start a game of III before Immortal Empires comes out.

What kind of experience are you looking for?

My mod lists errs pretty hard on the side of "get rid of Realms of Chaos and all of the jank it has unleashed". How vanilla-like are you wanting it to be?

steam_sig.png
    86e84wyaiwpn.png

hes out there, be alert

obF2Wuw.png
    KarozFiatilBloodySlothstopgapElvenshaeFencingsaxOlivawKruiteMoridin889XantomasZavianLord_Asmodeus
    Ol Tricky Dickie

edited August 2022
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »

What kind of experience are you looking for?

My mod lists errs pretty hard on the side of "get rid of Realms of Chaos and all of the jank it has unleashed". How vanilla-like are you wanting it to be?

*shrug*

My Warhammer 2 mod list is comprised of ...
    • All kinds of visual mods for uniforms and heraldry, varied creatures, etc.
    • Better camera stuff
    • Wizards in garrisons get better based on what support buildings you've made, instead of being universally shitty
    • Skill point increases and better skills for WH1 lords
    • Recruit legendary lords / immortals from factions that have been beaten
    • Region trading
    • Varied combat maps by location

So pretty vanilla, I guess, currently? But that was kind of a goal for this run-through. Other things I've used in the past were fixes for the annoying "Start a ritual, chaos armies spawn in the middle of nowhere and raze a bunch settlements instead of trying to disrupt your ritual" thing, enhancing access to specialist units (Ariel recruits wood spirits, etc.). Couple minor mechanical fixes, too, like making the charge bonus last longer for ultra unit sizes, etc.

So hit me with your best shot?

Elvenshae on