As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Total War] Pharaoh clever title

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Thanks for the insights.

It's not that I don't enjoy historicals, I just was too dummy thick back when I played Shogun 2 and still have issues with grand strategy.

Also hehe orky smash vampy.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I really just want Shogun 3. Feudal Japan is my jam. Three Kingdoms is nice though, but yeah I’d have dug a greater China setting than limiting it to that short time period.

Karozfedaykin666
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I love Three Kingdoms with all of my heart and still go back to play it, but man, what I would have given for a campaign start that actually saw the Titular Three Kingdoms in play.

You never get to see the Kingdom of Shu-Han in, well, Shu! That's Wild!

Even a start that saw Liu Bei and friends begin in Xinye, to deal with Liu Biaos death and the succession intrigue in Jing Province, would be good, even if it is not /that/ far a departure in time from the DLC we do have. It'd be enough! Liu Bei could naturally drift Shu direction from the middle of the map.

Liu Bei in Jing and an already strong Cao Cao to the north would also keep Wu in check and prevent the silly Wu mega-blob that occurs in nearly every campaign.

First they gave us DLC that had a bunch of great events (Lu Bu being peak Lu Bu, Sun Ce taking control of his own fate), that included Cao Cao becoming strong enough to look towards supplanting Yuan Shao as the key power of the North and Central Plains, in a confrontation emulating Guan Du.

'Great', I thought. 'Next we can have the lead in to Changbanpo/Red Cliff, peak Three Kingdoms events'.

No, we got another waste of time DLC focusing on the buildup to GuanDu. ... why? We already functionally had that. It's been a minute but I genuinely can't think of what this second DLC added that wasn't basically already covered. A bunch of events, and...

Then they shuttered future DLC development, and I got very sad.

I don't really have a point here, you can carry on. I just hear talk of Three Kingdoms and get a bit sad, is all.

The Brayster on
    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
    KarozIvelliusOlivawElvenshaeGoodKingJayIII
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I love Three Kingdoms with all of my heart and still go back to play it, but man, what I would have given for a campaign start that actually saw the Titular Three Kingdoms in play.

Even a start that saw Liu Bei and friends begin in Xinye, to deal with Liu Biaos death and the succession intrigue in Jing Province, would be good, even if it is not /that/ far a departure in time from the DLC we do have. It'd be enough! Liu Bei could naturally drift Shu direction from the middle of the map.

Liu Bei in Jing and an already strong Cao Cao to the north would also keep Wu in check and prevent the silly Wu mega-blob that occurs in nearly every campaign.

Instead, they wasted time giving us a DLC that had a bunch of great events (Lu Bu being peak Lu Bu, Sun Ce taking control of his own fate), that included Cao Cao becoming strong enough to look towards supplanting Yuan Shao as the key power of the North and Central Plains, in a confrontation emulating Guan Du.

'Great', I thought. 'Next we can have the lead in to Changbanpo/Red Cliff, peak Three Kingdoms events'.

No, we got another DLC focusing on the buildup to GuanDu. ... why? We already functionally had that. It's been a minute but I genuinely can't think of what this second DLC added that wasn't basically already covered. A bunch of events, and...

I don't really have a point here, you can carry on. I just hear talk of Three Kingdoms and get a bit sad, is all.

Agreed I feel like that is the biggest deficiency. Its almost impossible to have shu han form. At best you have a northern kingdom, a southern kingdom, and a western kingdom, but there is no rational chain of events from any of the campaign starts where that western kingdom is Shu with Liu Bei and Zhuge Liang. Even as the player you have to really go out of your way to make it happen (natural play as Liu Bei just leads to you supplanting Cao Cao).

Edit: honestly the whole 3k dlc was a mess. Starting with 8 princes was a terrible idea, and then they missed a whole big part of the thing, which was that by the end of the war there was a massive nomad invasion staring down China, and the Princes fiddled with politics while China was invaded. Not having the Han Zhou invasion is like having a WW2 game set in China and Japan without the US or a WW2 Europe game without the Soviet Union.

They should have started with the Sun Ce and Lu Bu DLC which was what everyone really wanted, then done the yellow turban rebellion, then done a Red cliffs lead-up with Shu Han in its proper position. Then Nanman (which only become relevant after Shu Han anyway), and after that if they really wanted to do 8 princes it could have come in conjunction with a steppe barbarian culture pack with a few steppe characters in the main campaign.

Agreed there was absolutely no point in a dedicated Guandu pack when that conflict happens as it did in history most of the time in the Sun-Ce/Lu Bu starts anyway. If the player is Yuan Shao or Cao Cao that is going to be their focus regardless.

Jealous Deva on
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023

Instead, they wasted time giving us a DLC that had a bunch of great events (Lu Bu being peak Lu Bu, Sun Ce taking control of his own fate), that included Cao Cao becoming strong enough to look towards supplanting Yuan Shao as the key power of the North and Central Plains, in a confrontation emulating Guan Du.

No, we got another DLC focusing on the buildup to GuanDu. ... why? We already functionally had that. It's been a minute but I genuinely can't think of what this second DLC added that wasn't basically already covered. A bunch of events, and...

Agreed I feel like that is the biggest deficiency. Its almost impossible to have shu han form. At best you have a northern kingdom, a southern kingdom, and a western kingdom, but there is no rational chain of events from any of the campaign starts where that western kingdom is Shu with Liu Bei and Zhuge Liang. Even as the player you have to really go out of your way to make it happen (natural play as Liu Bei just leads to you supplanting Cao Cao).

Edit: honestly the whole 3k dlc was a mess. Starting with 8 princes was a terrible idea, and then they missed a whole big part of the thing, which was that by the end of the war there was a massive nomad invasion staring down China, and the Princes fiddled with politics while China was invaded. Not having the Han Zhou invasion is like having a WW2 game set in China and Japan without the US or a WW2 Europe game without the Soviet Union.

They should have started with the Sun Ce and Lu Bu DLC which was what everyone really wanted, then done the yellow turban rebellion, then done a Red cliffs lead-up with Shu Han in its proper position. Then Nanman (which only become relevant after Shu Han anyway), and after that if they really wanted to do 8 princes it could have come in conjunction with a steppe barbarian culture pack with a few steppe characters in the main campaign.

Agreed there was absolutely no point in a dedicated Guandu pack when that conflict happens as it did in history most of the time in the Sun-Ce/Lu Bu starts anyway. If the player is Yuan Shao or Cao Cao that is going to be their focus regardless.
    In my experience, that kingdom split isn't normally going to happen, though it may depend on start date. I might need to put more games in (which won't happen at this point), but my experience was that the split was northern, central, southern. In the south, there's so much free land that the big power there tended to have formed entirely south of the Yangtze. Similarly, the Yellow river tended to constrain whoever emerged out of the central plains, leaving someone to consolidate the North. Whatever horselord was in the northwest couldn't get the shit in order in time barring shenanigans (and the AI doesn't traditionally build the right armies to take advantage of what's there), and whoever is in the southwest is now getting fucked by the Nanmans.

Really, the heart of the problem is as you note--without extreme scripting (and there is some but usually not enough), it's very hard to simulate from an initial start just how much of a cockroach Liu Bei is and how he kept getting chance after chance to survive until he could claim real land of his own in the west.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Spectrum wrote: »

In my experience, that kingdom split isn't normally going to happen, though it may depend on start date. I might need to put more games in (which won't happen at this point), but my experience was that the split was northern, central, southern. In the south, there's so much free land that the big power there tended to have formed entirely south of the Yangtze. Similarly, the Yellow river tended to constrain whoever emerged out of the central plains, leaving someone to consolidate the North. Whatever horselord was in the northwest couldn't get the shit in order in time barring shenanigans (and the AI doesn't traditionally build the right armies to take advantage of what's there), and whoever is in the southwest is now getting fucked by the Nanmans.

Really, the heart of the problem is as you note--without extreme scripting (and there is some but usually not enough), it's very hard to simulate from an initial start just how much of a cockroach Liu Bei is and how he kept getting chance after chance to survive until he could claim real land of his own in the west.

Yeah, that is pretty common too. i think IIRC I have seen whoever takes over from dong get big, and rarely Ma Teng (I have a mod to allow him to claim the throne though).

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    The wargh bargl over the historical games is rose tinted glasses.

The older total war titles are not better games. Archers couldn't shoot properly over walls. Cavalry were way too good, especially in medieval 2. The AI had distinct advantages in that they were immune to rear model hits while committing a move/attack order, whereas if the human player did it their unit would just disintegrate.

A big complaint is that units are tied to generals now. The reason for that is that in Empire, the AI would just make 100 mini stacks that were unwieldly for a human player to deal with traditionally, so it was always better to just charge for the capitals and roll the AI over (their army would be all over map sacking the towns/farms and not defending against your armies).

Anyone remember how garbage the AI was in defending a fort in Empire?

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    There was nothing good about forts in Empire.
    Everything from the AI to how their starfort designs (a design where the express purpose was to have no blindspots) had massive blindspots.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    Fiatil
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    People who play and enjoy historical Total Wars don’t really have a rose-tinted-glasses view. They complain about all that shit.

But, again, if someone is pining for some strategy with a feudal Japan or British Empire setting because it’s the setting they like, they’re not going to pick up and play Warhammer or Pharaoh because they’re newer and mechanically better. They’re going to play Empire or Shogun and complain about the problems.

-Loki- on
    BloodySlothFANTOMAS
    edited November 2023
    Playing a game as Meng Huo. Nanman is kind of a weird start…. Meng isn’t hard at all but you are isolated -eventually you do discover all han factions but you are well snowballed by that time.

Anyway almost won - I coalitioned Shamoke and wutugu, we all got king titles oddly enough… but I guess the AI didn’t like this because wutugu broke coalition and declared war. Hey its China fair game… Vassalized him but its probably not too long before Shamoke follows suit. I imagine after that war it’ll be game.

Interesting events. I dont know if events are chance based or just get bugged and don’t fire every so often… Dong was alive a long time, don’t know why. Lu bu was still in his faction. He didn’t die until well after 200 though. Liu Chong is still around. Sun Jian and Ce died as scripted, Liu bei actually hung around until Liu biao died and inherited and the Zhuge Liang event fired for him. He is a vassal of Yuan Shao though. 3 kingdom candidates right now are Duchess Wu (she hasn’t kicked it and passed the title to Sun Quan yet), Yuan Shao, and Cao Cao. I am expecting lady Wu to declare herself emperor any minute.

Jealous Deva on
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    the lore of a game is very important to me and can make the difference between me liking a game or not

as a history nerd, I'm a HUGE fan of the historical total war titles.

as a fantasy/scifi nerd, I'm a HUGE fan of the warhammer total war titles.

and one thing I love about the historical total war titles is that you can actually many times recreate actual battle tactics you've read about in the sources/lore. for example, some of my rarest Steam cheevos are from Rome II, like Pincer Movement where I used Hannibal's crescent formation tactics. the historical titles also usually have some fun historical battles which also lean heavily into this
    he3rxu4oh5ma.png

FencingsaxIvelliusElvenshae
    That's pretty impressive

but no match for blind luck on a game that no longer exists!

pbmlzw8dafc0.png

Damn in 3 kingdoms I’m like the Empire meme. Start new game, who should I try? Shamoke and be emperor as a barbarian? Dong and be the bad guy? Yan Behui and try to make a bandit southern kingdom?

Naah, Liu Bei. Again.

KarozSpectrumThe BraysterElvenshaeFiendishrabbitMr Ray
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Yuan Shao if you loved ot be hated

My Queen
    lgzn3Ls.jpg

Pretty simple coast to number one there, no one else was close, especially with hitting the 2nd place guy with Discredit Court actions.

Then I slotted the Pharaoh power to annex a OPM and promptly used it on someone to the north of Seti, intending to trade the territory to get him to give up another minor to let me complete a province further south.

Unfortunately, because the devs don't want you to abuse the AI too much, the trade wasn't worth nearly enough value to overcome the strength penalties.

However, if it was instead treated as a gift, the trade value was actually quite large...

Du0OAtC.png

...so I just did that instead.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Ivellius
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3081800026

ChaosRobie has release a new mod that allows you to play a campaign in an enlarged Old World Map.

You can potentially play other High Elf Lords like Tyrion with the start relocation mod, but right now the only High Elf Lord with a start location in the mod is Teclis.

• fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I'm sure I'm getting a distorted version by seeing some of these Legend videos lately, but I just cannot see the appeal of Medieval or Rome and I don't understand why I see comments talking about how much better those games are than modern ones. Every battle looks like it comes down to using only cavalry and running them in circles, picking off the individual enemy general out of the enemy units, then taking advantage of mass routs because morale is shot.

There is some truth to this.

For example, Atilla has incredibly strong impactful cavalry, as you would expect from a game about the Huns and manouvering them to hit exposed units wins battles.

At the same time, I've won battles with infantry tactics, with crossbows, archers, defensive towers, roman marines on a ship killing the enemy general before he lands, forest ambushes. Some units have different formations. In general it's very tactically rich and you can defeat a superior force through skill which feels fun and rewarding.

Roman settlement defense battles were very repetitive though if you optimize playing them manually and are largely about ganking vulnerable units with your cavalry while your heavy infantry in shield wall holds the line at a chokepoint against 10x numbers for as long as possible

fedaykin666 on
    75 turns in, kind of just chilling? Mostly hit deathball status, civilization progress has stayed high for whatever reason so the invaders don't really have any teeth. I have good enough(tm) relations to the south and basically everyone else is vassalized.
    NhjRu7A.jpg

And the game kinda realized that even for a first playthrough, my usual setting of H/H might be too easy
    ZkI4M9F.jpg

Sending stacks into Sinai. I just need to get enough power to start confederating the rest of my vassals in turn, then can trade some territory to Amanesse to secure that vassal finally once I have something adjacent. Then kill his former vassal at that point (unless it transfers? or just release and kill because it's a desert tribe that can't confederate in) and I'll have all of Egypt at that point.

(Or I would if not for some weirdo Reliability hit that I can't figure out why that is making me wait extra turns before vassalizing Buto also because I don't want to overpay)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Ivellius
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tww3-update-410/
    But what comes with Patch 4.1, you ask? Well, let’s not faff about, and dive right into the patch notes with some juicy highlights:
    • Tear down those walls and bolster your own with the latest settlements and sieges battle update.
    • Mix things up on the fly with skill point resets.
    • Projectiles find their way with Homing 2.0.
    • Customize your main menu background with 19 additional themes.
    • Stand sturdy with a massive suite of bug fixes, race tweaks, UI improvements, and more!

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    danxFiendishrabbitfedaykin666altidKruiteKarozElvenshae
  • fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    I've been playing more Shogun 2 just with 1 mod to buff European cannons to have explosive shells more in line with Parrott or Armstrong guns, slightly weaker than either but also historically accurate and still a massive buff compared to the vanilla.

Combined with kneel-firing Tercos and yari ashigaru to hold the line and create fields of fire in a checkerboard formation, this makes Otomo utterly broken. The ashigaru are also useful at drawing enemy fire or climbing walls not to risk the Tercos on risky missions. The donderbuss cavalry for flanking operations just makes the shooting gallery look interactive.

I'm finding it soothing to just blow the crap out of even 2-1 disadvantages as historical events are swept aside by the overwhelming firepower of Portuguese mercenary men with suspiciously British accents. I'm not sure if this makes me a pyschopath.

BloodySloth
    Tausret Ultimate Victory
    B2Clelz.jpg

Challenged myself to knock this one out before the Sea Peoples finished, did it with 25 turns to go. All of Egypt and chewed through about 2/3 of the Canaanites in order to get the Victory Points. First wave of the final Sea People push was shattered on my shores, second wave just spawned. There were still a couple stacks making trouble in the Hittite areas but they were still mostly intact. It looks like a big push of 8 doomstacks that tries to force the Nile mouth, then a wide spread everywhere else.

After my last post, I vassalized Buto at the Nile mouth, who then was being threatened by a Sea People stack, and so was immediately willing to Confederate after that. Then I traded the same settlement to Amenmesse to secure the vassalization of him and his vassal, uniting Egypt. Then just slow march up the coast to the East, conquering along the way. When the big Sea People attack finally hit, I eventually was able to confederate Ramesses and Waset (with some help from a +20 deal balance mission reward) once the stacks got close enough to threaten their holdings. Finally just through sheer power I also confederated Nubt.

Fairly easy overall, Tausret just has too much of an economic advantage once you get rolling because of her production line, even if her individual units aren't the absolute best at top end, unless you wanted to go super bougie and spam her top tier chariots. Getting the right religion/going Aten if Egypt is too powerful, as the Shrine solve any/all happiness problems and give growth, but still let you get huge recruit bonuses that means that you can go economical and use lower tier troops for the same effect. This will save Bronze/Gold, that can then be traded for Food to afford more stacks. It feels like the economy really benefits from keeping friendlies alive for trade purposes off their baseline income vs holding the territory, same as Troy. Vassals aren't amazing in this game (they periodically give you resources and/or units to sit in your special recruit tab as opposed to always giving 20% of their income) but having captive trade partners and still contributing to territory control for Victory Points is fine. That said, the AI is questionable at optimizing production so you'll do better with the territory, even if you now have to pay for protecting it, so it may end up being a wash. Having enough stacks to meet territory control needs is really draining on Food, so you pretty much have to trade to balance resources out to manage it.

The Sea Peoples stacks are pretty threatening, a lot of elite units and full 20 stacks whereas most of the other factions tend to walk around with not-full shitsacks, so if you as the player don't help out, they can cause a lot of damage.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    FencingsaxZavianKarozElvenshae
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I've been playing more Shogun 2 just with 1 mod to buff European cannons to have explosive shells more in line with Parrott or Armstrong guns, slightly weaker than either but also historically accurate and still a massive buff compared to the vanilla.

Combined with kneel-firing Tercos and yari ashigaru to hold the line and create fields of fire in a checkerboard formation, this makes Otomo utterly broken. The ashigaru are also useful at drawing enemy fire or climbing walls not to risk the Tercos on risky missions. The donderbuss cavalry for flanking operations just makes the shooting gallery look interactive.

I'm finding it soothing to just blow the crap out of even 2-1 disadvantages as historical events are swept aside by the overwhelming firepower of Portuguese mercenary men with suspiciously British accents. I'm not sure if this makes me a pyschopath.

Sound like you would enjoy playing Empire, Ive been using a mod for it called Empire 2, since the vanilla game looks pretty dated.

Playing a campaign with the Apaches, I got trampled by the Spanish army, with all their guns and cannons, so I captured one of their cities and started building my own cannons and galleons. Im still at a technological disadvantage with the european factions, but this mod has really made Empire enjoyable again for me. And I can probably realize my dream of having native americans invade Europe.

Someone mentioned Empire AI making 100 single unit stacks, I havent seen much of that in this campaign, mostly full stacks, double stacks, and small 1-3 units groups ransacking, but town centers have been really well protected so far.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
    fedaykin666
    No wonder Irsu was doing fuck all in my Tausret game. He starts with only low tier garbage in his army, though with more starting units than everyone else. Unfortunately while everyone else can mass trash while still having a T3 or two unit to help stiffen things, he'll just hit his stack cap and then have to get another stack going for more power. Mind, you should do that anyway for flexibility but it's even tougher on him because his base economy is kinda trash, so the AI doesn't know what to do with him.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Aw man my favorite co op move is gone. The Ikit Claw tier 4 by round 5 has been patched out. Looks like you can't colonize an abandoned settlement with a herdstone nearby even if they haven't completed the ritual now.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Fencingsax
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Alright earliest I've been able to get to tier 4 is turn 15. Not like it used to be but still pretty op.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Alright earliest I've been able to get to tier 4 is turn 15. Not like it used to be but still pretty op.

You should still be able to cheese the heardstone battle with Ikit if you do it right. Though I have not played the latest patch so I don't know if the AI has been fixed. Doubt it though.

FANTOMAS wrote: »

Sound like you would enjoy playing Empire, Ive been using a mod for it called Empire 2, since the vanilla game looks pretty dated.

Playing a campaign with the Apaches, I got trampled by the Spanish army, with all their guns and cannons, so I captured one of their cities and started building my own cannons and galleons. Im still at a technological disadvantage with the european factions, but this mod has really made Empire enjoyable again for me. And I can probably realize my dream of having native americans invade Europe.

Someone mentioned Empire AI making 100 single unit stacks, I havent seen much of that in this campaign, mostly full stacks, double stacks, and small 1-3 units groups ransacking, but town centers have been really well protected so far.

I think that mod made a lot of AI changes. By many Total War youtubers accounts its a great mod.

Hot patched the 400 speed greasus.

Greased Lightning days were short lived

FANTOMAS
    That_Guy wrote: »

You should still be able to cheese the heardstone battle with Ikit if you do it right. Though I have not played the latest patch so I don't know if the AI has been fixed. Doubt it though.

Morghur is fully loaded with a 20 stack by turn 4, i don't know how to cheese it. I actually got lucky, Aranessa just completely swept through and destroyed everything.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Karoz
    That_Guy wrote: »

Morghur is fully loaded with a 20 stack by turn 4, i don't know how to cheese it. I actually got lucky, Aranessa just completely swept through and destroyed everything.

I lured him away with a single general in force march. The actual battle was relatively easy. Ikit on his Doom-Flayer is faster than most of the heardstone army. It wasn't too hard to run around capping points while your other rats kept the main army busy. I'm not sure how that has changed in the latest patch with control point linking.

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    They just released another hotfix for 4.1 which has a ton of fixes and reworks the Medusa animations.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1142710/view/3873721309627812353

They're really putting in the work huh?

Spectrum
    I'd like to think they're trying to make up for their mistakes with Shadows of Change, or moved more people back to it after Hyenas was canceled.

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    Yeah. They reworked their tooling over the past year because it was arse and slowed them down a lot which is contributing to their fast turn around but they have to want to do it.

Karoz
    https://videogames.si.com/news/sega-creative-assembly-total-war-focus
    After the last-minute cancellation of live-service shooter Hyenas, which was in development at Creative Assembly, Sega Sammy CEO Haruki Satomi revealed (via VGC) that he wants the developer to refocus on what it always did best: “As part of the process of structural reform centered on Creative Assembly, we intend to optimize the workflow and concentrate their resources on the development of their specialty genres.”

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    FiatilElvenshae
    Pharaoh settlement defenses are kinda fun.
    Zdty4a9.jpg

One of the early Shekelesh stacks landed in a neutral's coast and then just walked inland to Damascus and I couldn't scramble a supplement in time, so I had to make do with the garrison only (level 5 city, standalone 3 defender outpost, NO garrison building). Thankfully this is quite doable when dealing with only a modest deficit of starting forces.

Pharaoh's walls have separate towers at the edges of the walls and right surrounding the gate. While you'll lose the gate towers once the gatehouse gets pushed because of capture weight, the side towers can still shoot. This means that you can still bottleneck the enemy at the gate for awhile while the edge towers continue to work. Alternatively, if you are confident in your heavy defenders, you could try and manually push past the gate and set up directly in front of the towers and try to hold for longer there, to preserve the tower shooting.

Capture points will revert to the defender if not continually guarded, meaning the AI will split its forces after breaking through a wall to go after each capture point, and then will be forced to leave 1-2 units at each point it takes instead of trying to bring its full weight of forces afterwards on any single area.

There is usually one point that provides a sizable local bonus to defenders that you would want to set up your final defense around. This might be a short range fixed tower or a zone that provides healing, although the zone is a little unclear to me if it can only heal one unit at a time or everyone and whether it works in combat or not. I definitely observed that it does work out of combat, so it might be enough to rotate forces in and out, as combat isn't strictly the fastest. I suspect it might be out of combat only because there's armor that gives healing of the same rate that explicitly works out of combat but I wasn't able to test it.

So in this particular fight, I left two units on the gatehouses that were being attacked, put my slingers and archers on the wall where more of the enemy was coming from, and had my towers and all my ranged units killing their archers and javelins while outside the walls to remove as much balance of power as possible. After that, I fell my ranged units back when they were out of ammo and defended at a center healing point. Eventually my gatehouse defenders fell but not at the same time (because only one side had a ram and this made contact much earlier) but in trade the AI had basically no ranged capability left. After that they trickled forces in and broke on the final defense point after attacking in detail.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    fedaykin666
    Jumped back on a Manndred campaign because I got a new GPU, seems thr AI is less gunho to gangpile on you.
    Doesn't stop them from eventually doing so but feels less out the gate hostile.

Still feels bad to get run over by hordes of skinks but it is VH/VH

edited December 2023
    Other Pharaoh musings:
    If you're not Irsu, do your best to not get things to Collapse. All non-invaders eat a massive -15% penalty to Replenishment (along with invaders getting insane combat bonuses), which is a big ol fuck you mostly to the player who probably has expensive or permanent stat buffed troops and doesn't want to combine and recruit new trash on site. You can mitigate it with spamming growth+replenishment buildings everywhere but that's going to cause either happiness or income problems from slot competition (unless you're Aten and have perfect shrines).

If you're Irsu just laugh and press your faction button to turn that off and instead get +20% Melee Attack and Charge bonus and something else I can't remember. Sure, you can no longer occupy settlements, but who cares, just let second line armies backfill when you hit Shemsu. (Either sack and the replenishment hit will keep the garrison sad until Shemsu anyway or raze and only have solo generals trailing. Irsu doesn't really care about building up settlements much either way.)
    edit: Wait the "you can't Occupy" is actually literal, you can still Loot+Occupy and Colonize. So even more fucking lol

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    FencingsaxKaroz
    So trying up a Nurgle campaign cause I hate myself and

had a goon squad ready for Ghorst...only for him to get taken out by my Plague Drones of Nurgle...

The AI is seeming kinda screw with its combat formations at times though tho this was not one of those time. Like setting up perpendicular to my forces.

Other Pharaoh musings:
    If you're not Irsu, do your best to not get things to Collapse. All non-invaders eat a massive -15% penalty to Replenishment (along with invaders getting insane combat bonuses), which is a big ol fuck you mostly to the player who probably has expensive or permanent stat buffed troops and doesn't want to combine and recruit new trash on site. You can mitigate it with spamming growth+replenishment buildings everywhere but that's going to cause either happiness or income problems from slot competition (unless you're Aten and have perfect shrines).

If you're Irsu just laugh and press your faction button to turn that off and instead get +20% Melee Attack and Charge bonus and something else I can't remember. Sure, you can no longer occupy settlements, but who cares, just let second line armies backfill when you hit Shemsu. (Either sack and the replenishment hit will keep the garrison sad until Shemsu anyway or raze and only have solo generals trailing. Irsu doesn't really care about building up settlements much either way.)
    edit: Wait the "you can't Occupy" is actually literal, you can still Loot+Occupy and Colonize. So even more fucking lol
    For reference after I went back in to capture it:
    ydTwMPr.png

Left to right: Normal collapse modifiers, sea people modifiers, desert nomad (Libu) modifiers, Irsu faction power active modifiers

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1142710/view/3856833444158504917
    We're back with hotfix 4.1.3 in tow, tackling some more issues on our radar. Let's take a look.
    • In our attempt to enhance N'kari's jumping attacks in Patch 4.1.0, we encountered an oversight where these changes were inadvertently omitted from the final build. We have rectified this in Hotfix 4.1.3, and players can now experience the intended improvements in N'kari's performance when charging and engaging smaller targets.
    • In Nakai's Temple of the Old Ones, the first threshold of Xholankha now grants an increased Winds of Magic power reserve capacity for all armies.
    • Fixed a softlock that could occur when an AI controlled Kislev faction would win the supporters race.
    • Fixed an issue where the magic item drop rate would get progressively worse until the game was re-loaded.
    • Fixed outstanding issues with the three new unique Beastmen herdstone buildings. They will now provide the correct unique effect at all 5 levels and provide the correct number of building slots.
    • For THE WOLFHEARTS (Akshina Ambushers), the ability Pack Trap being able to lock down a single target put Markus Wulfhart to shame, so we've pulled in the duration significantly to make this less overbearing and added a small fatigue drain to the ability to help it find a more reasonable home in bringing down large beasts:
    • Duration: 25s → 10s
    • Added 3% fatigue drain per second.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    altiddanx
    Wow, they've released more patches since Hyinas was canned than in the first year of Warhammer 3's release.

KarozdanxFiendishrabbit