As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ICON] Game Start! - The Ruined Tower

kimekime Queen of BladesRegistered User regular
edited September 12 in Critical Failures
I'm wondering if there's enough interest in here to get a game of ICON going!

What is ICON?

ICON is a new TTRPG created by the co-creator of Lancer, who's also the author of Kill Six Billion Demons (the webcomic). It attracted my attention initially because it seemed to be designed with a very inclusive mindset, and the combat was described as class-based, Final Fantasy-esque. I think I first heard about the game here on the forums recently? A very neat aspect of it is that there are entirely separate mechanics for narrative play and combat, and your character will be growing in each of them.

ICON is not fully released. It's theoretically in a playable version, but there could be balance issues or whatnot. The current version of the rules is available for free here. Again, emphasizing, as this is new and not fully released: expect some quirks! That'll be part of the experience :smile: . In addition, don't expect a lot of nice online support for character sheets or what-have-you. Pretty much all the stuff will have to be done the old-fashioned way!

What's this game in this thread going to be then?

I expect this to be a learning game to some extent, although very "learn via doing." A real game that we're playing, just with the expectation that we'll have questions and blunders along the way. So, I'm not thinking this is gonna be a multi-year epic with every step in battle perfectly calculated and with perfectly meta builds. It's not D&D where people have a million sites of resources and years of experience :lol: . We can play it by ear: maybe a pretty straightforward "JRPG video game-esque adventurers in TTRPG setting," or maybe we'll grow it to more, we'll see. Gonna try to get the rules right so that we learn properly, but we can adjust things as we go if we feel the need (the game itself is a work in progress after all!).

I'm expecting to GM, thus I'm making this thread and such, but if anyone else wants to, by all means feel free! I don't have any attachment to being the GM, I just wanna play the game, so I'm perfectly happy to be on the player side. Again, remember that this is probably gonna be most of our first game in ICON, so keep your expectations for the GM (whether or not it's me) reasonable.

I'm hoping to have ~3-4 players and 1 GM. Try to be reasonably active. ICON is very Player-led, so the pace of the game will often go as fast as people are around to do it!

OK, but specifics of the setting and starting off and whatnot?

The setting is probably going to be the "default" type of setting for ICON. Post-post apocalyptic, currently with a relatively low-tech society but with ancient wonders of high tech spread throughout, etc. Honestly it kinda reminds me of Breath of the Wild so that's a lot of what I'm imagining in my head. You all will be a group of adventurers that set out from the relatively safe villages around the world to explore, gain riches, and find magical artifacts.

We'll be starting from Level 0 (although that will be brief). No restrictions with character creation as long as it's in the rules, have fun with picking your class and designing your background and whatnot!

Does this work in a PbP setting?

Based on what I've read, I think so? No worse than D&D or something in most ways. Better in some ways in that combat initiative is a little more flexible (although does require a lot of GM involvement). There's a class of abilities called "Interrupts" that are a bit worrisome, but most of them have very specific triggers, so we'll know when something should come into play.

Maybe it'll turn out this just really needs to be a realtime game, but I haven't found much that indicates as much so far.

One adjustment that does need to be made is that there are some things that are timed out by the "session." Digitally, we don't have "sessions." My thought is to first just wave our hands here, and I (or the GM if it's someone else) will draw the line on where it's reasonable a session would end. If we get a good, consistent pace, then we could do something like "every calendar week is one session" or such.

The rulebook is uh... over 400 pages long...

Yeah it's big. Thankfully though, you (as an individual player) don't need to read most of it. More than a quarter of that is going over the different classes/jobs, which players don't need to read in depth (you just need to know your own). Another 200+ pages is mostly GM stuff, so players could scan if interested but they don't need to follow too closely. There's rules for the gameplay for players, but we'll be helping each other out with that.

And when it comes down to it, I like reading rule books for games, so I'm going through the whole thing anyways (mostly done at this point, to be honest). Feel free to let me guide you or answer your questions as much as you want, whether that's a technically in combat or if you want like, a step-by-step guide for character creation. I'm here to help us be able to play, so don't let the rules care you off, I will help!

And then the last caveat is also just, again, this is a game we're playing amongst ourselves with rules that are not actually finalized. It's OK to not be perfect, although I'm gonna try just because I want to learn the rules. But we can bend/break what we want :lol:

OK, I'm interested, what do I do now?

Clearly say you wanna play, in bold or something so that I don't mix up speculations and actual sign-ups. Feel free to start thinking of your character concept and create them, if you're ready! Ask me if you have any questions about the game or the rules or anything, up to and including "just tell me step by step what I need to do." Again, I don't want fear of rules or learning the new system to scare people off ideally, this should be fun!

Also, there's a small expedition at the end of the rulebook. Don't read that 'cause I'm gonna use it :tongue:

Player List
  1. Invictus
  2. AustinP0027
  3. Elvenshae
  4. Discrider

Reserves

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
Steam profile
kime on
mrpaku38thDoeElvenshaeAustinP0027Auralynxdiscrider
«13456789

Posts

  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Rule are the ones found here?

    https://massif-press.itch.io/icon

  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    I wanna play!

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    kime
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Are you planning on using tactical combat?

    Appears the character creation has different things you do if you're using narrative play only vs. tactical combat as well.

  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Are you planning on using tactical combat?

    Appears the character creation has different things you do if you're using narrative play only vs. tactical combat as well.

    If it's half as complex as Lancer's, you'll be here a while if so.

    kshu0oba7xnr.png

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    It looks like tactical combat adds stats to the game instead of just the 1-12 measurement of success. Just as a part of that, there's extra character creation choices also.

    It honestly looks like it makes it more D&D-ish for combat, but not sure if that's the goal for trying this out.

  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    It looks cool like Lancer, but fantasy and without the anime mechs. Fuck it, I'll give this a shot if you'll have me.

    I'm going to bed, but I have work tomorrow and there will be a LOT of downtime for me to go over the rulebook and such so hopefully I can be ready ASAP!

    JtgVX0H.png
    kime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited August 11
    Are you planning on using tactical combat?

    Appears the character creation has different things you do if you're using narrative play only vs. tactical combat as well.

    Yup, I wanna use both halves of the game. The tactical combat seems interesting, lots of cool class choices and abilities.
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Rule are the ones found here?

    https://massif-press.itch.io/icon

    Yeah

    kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Cool.

    I'll play!

    :D

    kime
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    The Camp is the best PC

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Huzzah, that's 3 people! While we could go one more, I'm happy with this!

    OK, so onto character creation! I've snapshotted the little cheat-sheet of "how to create your character" here, just for easy reference.
    A quick note here: Culture has no mechanical effect. The rules sometimes mention getting an action bonus for your Culture, but that's been removed from the Cultures themselves, and it's been noted in the Change Log. We've found our first "oopsie" in the rules :lol:

    wf3ee41ex03w.png


    bq4eoe7yv314.png

    Opening scene is that y'all are in a small village before planning on setting out for another expedition to find riches and treasures and adventures (and whatever else drives you). We can flesh it out however makes sense with your characters, but feel free to bounce ideas or questions in the thread! Otherwise, I'm excited to see what the characters y'all make look like!

    As an FYI, I'm in France 'till the end of August, so the hours you see me responding now are not gonna be the same in a few weeks as I jump to a completely opposite time zone. And weekends are always gonna be slower for me.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Elvenshae
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Also swing by page 217 to pick up an item to add to The Camp.
    Probably won't be strictly necessary until you have some downtime, but I like the idea too much to not highlight it.

    kimeElvenshae
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Also swing by page 217 to pick up an item to add to The Camp.
    Probably won't be strictly necessary until you have some downtime, but I like the idea too much to not highlight it.

    Good point! In addition to that, we'll need a group name for y'all and eventually some group goals. (Accomplishing those gets you xp!)

    5d43i5xoi9kn.png

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking of bringing a Leggio Beastfolk (vodya), with the Elder bond, and Mendicant/Chanter class/job. Going for a full pacifist/support character, unless someone thinks it'll be too difficult to play or if they were wanting to do something similar. Oh, and I was wanting to bring a campfire for my camp fixture too.

    Going to come up with backstory and more character details in a bit.

    JtgVX0H.png
    Elvenshaekime
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 3
    Kaijin "Kay" is a tall, somewhat slim (in relative terms, at least) Trogg hailing from an island chain off the coast of [wherever we're starting]. His horns are especially tall and pointy, and their brilliant blue hue contrasts pleasantly with his stony-grey skin. He came to [Wherever] as a crewmember on a smaller vessel, and remained behind when it left for reasons he's never completely explained. He's spent a couple of years in and around [Wherever], doing odd jobs, lifting things up high, etc., etc., and his booming laugh is often heard of an evening from the local tavern.
    Details:
    • Kin: Trogg
    • Culture: Islander
    • Bond: Pathfinder
    • Class: Vagabond
    • Job: Fool

    Narrative Stats
    Ideals:
    • I addressed challenges with curiosity, exploration, or understanding
    • I expressed my heritage, background, or beliefs through my actions
    • I saw, heard, or tasted something truly unique

    Stats
    • Effort: 3
    • Strain: 5
    • Second Wind: Regain 1 effort when you enter a new scene. This ability can activate any number of times a session.
    • Special Ability: Leading a team action only costs 1 effort for you.

    Bond Powers
    • Freesoul - You can escape from any restraint, grab, shackle, hold, or prison cell without rolling, appropriate to chapter. You can conceal this ability if you wish.

    Actions
    • Sneak: +0
    • Traverse: +2 (Pathfinder)
    • Sense: +0
    • Study: +0
    • Charm: +2 (+3 with Pearls)
    • Command: +0
    • Tinker: +0
    • Excel: +2
    • Smash: +1
    • Endure: +1

    Tactical Stats
    Stats
    • VIT: 6
    • HP: 24
    • Defense: 12
    • Speed: 4 (Dash 4)
    • Fray damage: 3
    • Damage die: D10
    • Basic Attack: Melee, or Ranged 4

    Traits
    • Skirmisher (Vagabond) - A character with this trait can move diagonally and dash at full speed
    • Dodge (Vagabond) - Immune to all damage from missed attacks, successful saves, and area effects.
    • Finishing Blow (Vagabond) - When you attack a bloodied foe, you score a finishing blow, dealing bonus damage. Your abilities with a Finishing Blow effects gain more powerful effects if their primary target is a bloodied foe, even if they are not an attack. Effects depend on the action.
    • Tumbling (Fool) - You may phase through characters. Moving up elevation costs 0 extra movement for you.
    • Curse the Eyeless (Fool) - You have evasion against blinded or slow characters.
    • Cheap Trick (Fool) - When an attack misses you, you may deal 1 damage to your attacker, then teleport 1 space in any direction.
    • Stack Dice (Fool) - When you score a finishing blow, gain a Stacked Die. You can use this die as an effect to make any random d6 you roll as part of an ability to become a result of 6, consuming it. You can only hold on to one Stacked Die at once, and lose all of them at the end of combat.

    Abilities
    • Cavaliere (Fool) (Heavy Melee Attack) - It is not enough to rudely and plainly strike your foe down. One must make it entertaining.
      • Attack: On hit: 2[D] + fray (2d10 + 3) and inflict burning
      • Miss: fray (3)
      • Effect: Before attacking, you must dash exactly 3 spaces in a straight line, then 1 space to the left or right. Gain phasing during this movement. Any foes you passed through are blinded.
      • Finishing Blow: All foes affected take fray (3) damage
    • Carnivale (Fool) (1 action, summon) - Get the party started.
      • Summon: You throw out a volatile bomb in range 3.
        • Carnivale Bomb
        • Size 1, intangible.
        • Summon effect: The bomb’s space can be shared by other characters, and it can also be shoved. When any character passes through the bomb’s space, they can carry the bomb with them and drop it at any point during the movement. Roll a d6 at the end of each turn that passes after yours. On a 6, the bomb explodes in a blast 1 area effect centered on it, destroying it. Characters within take [D] damage (1d10) and are blinded and burning.
        • Slay: Re-summon the bomb
      • If you use this ability while you have active bombs, all previously active bombs defuse and are removed from the battlefield.

    Important Notes
    • Blinded - Max range of all abilities is 2.
    • Burning (Blight) - Take bonus damage from any ability that would deal that blight again (roll 1 additional damage die, and take the highest; does not apply to fixed damage).
    • Evasion - Roll a d6 when targeted by an attack. On a 4+, the attack automatically misses. Check before the attack roll.
    • Phasing - Can ignore obstruction and pass through, but not end your turn in, terrain, objects, or characters.
    • Stealth - Cannot be directly targeted except from an adjacent space. Breaks on using any ability other than dash.
    • Teleport - Instantly move to a free space within range X. You can teleport even if your speed is 0.

    Elvenshae on
    kimeDarmakAustinP0027
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The Opening Scene

    (No rush on character creation, this is just to get everyone thinking about where we're starting, and if it helps to get your creative juices flowing or whatnot.)

    This small group of adventurers has recently arrived in the town of Oxbridge. It's not normally where any of you would stop off, as the town isn't known for being rich in treasure or artifacts, and there's been no new ruins or monsters discovered in the area for generations. No reason for explorers to stop by, really.

    Apparently that's changed. Messages for help and a few terrified families fleeing the area mean that something has happened to shake up the normally peaceful farming village. You're not sure of the details yet, though, it was all vague and nondescript-- to be expected, nothing in their lives would have prepared the villagers for something from the ancient Arken Empire...

    You all entered the village via the main road used to get in and out for trade, and stand together on the end of the Ox Bridge that marks the edge of the village, looking out at the small assembly of houses.

    83htmlli2dup.png

    This is where your adventure begins. When we have everyone's characters, we'll begin!

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Elvenshae
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    If you're looking for one more, I'm looking at a Thrynn/Guilder/Mender/Spell"blade" at the moment

    kimeAustinP0027ElvenshaeDarmak
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    If you're looking for one more, I'm looking at a Thrynn/Guilder/Mender/Spell"blade" at the moment

    For sure! That'd be awesome!
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Kaijin "Kay" is a tall, somewhat slim (in relative terms, at least) Trogg hailing from an island chain off the coast of [wherever we're starting]. His horns are especially tall and pointy, and their brilliant blue hue contrasts pleasantly with his stony-grey skin. He came to [Wherever] as a crewmember on a smaller vessel, and remained behind when it left for reasons he's never completely explained. He's spent a couple of years in and around [Wherever], doing odd jobs, lifting things up high, etc., etc., and his booming laugh is often heard of an evening from the local tavern.
    Details:
    • Kin: Trogg
    • Culture: Islander
    • Bond: Pathfinder
    • Class: Vagabond
    • Job: Fool

    Narrative Stats
    Ideals:
    • I addressed challenges with curiosity, exploration, or understanding
    • I expressed my heritage, background, or beliefs through my actions
    • I saw, heard, or tasted something truly unique

    Stats
    • Effort: 3
    • Strain: 5
    • Second Wind: Regain 1 effort when you enter a new scene. This ability can activate any number of times a session.
    • Special Ability: Leading a team action only costs 1 effort for you.

    Bond Powers
    • Freesoul - You can escape from any restraint, grab, shackle, hold, or prison cell without rolling, appropriate to chapter. You can conceal this ability if you wish.

    Actions
    • Sneak: +0
    • Traverse: +2 (Pathfinder)
    • Sense: +0
    • Study: +0
    • Charm: +2
    • Command: +0
    • Tinker: +0
    • Excel: +2
    • Smash: +1
    • Endure: +1

    Tactical Stats
    Stats
    • VIT: 6
    • HP: 24
    • Defense: 12
    • Speed: 4 (Dash 4)
    • Fray damage: 3
    • Damage die: D10
    • Basic Attack: Melee, or Ranged 4

    Traits
    • Skirmisher (Vagabond) - A character with this trait can move diagonally and dash at full speed
    • Dodge (Vagabond) - Immune to all damage from missed attacks, successful saves, and area effects.
    • Finishing Blow (Vagabond) - When you attack a bloodied foe, you score a finishing blow, dealing bonus damage. Your abilities with a Finishing Blow effects gain more powerful effects if their primary target is a bloodied foe, even if they are not an attack. Effects depend on the action.
    • Tumbling (Fool) - You may phase through characters. Moving up elevation costs 0 extra movement for you.
    • Curse the Eyeless (Fool) - You have evasion against blinded or slow characters.
    • Cheap Trick (Fool) - When an attack misses you, you may deal 1 damage to your attacker, then teleport 1 space in any direction.
    • Stack Dice (Fool) - When you score a finishing blow, gain a Stacked Die. You can use this die as an effect to make any random d6 you roll as part of an ability to become a result of 6, consuming it. You can only hold on to one Stacked Die at once, and lose all of them at the end of combat.

    Abilities
    • Cavaliere (Fool)
    • Carnivale (Fool)

    Important Notes
    • Evasion - Roll a d6 when targeted by an attack. On a 4+, the attack automatically misses. Check before the attack roll.
    • Phasing - Can ignore obstruction and pass through, but not end your turn in, terrain, objects, or characters.
    • Teleport - Instantly move to a free space within range X. You can teleport even if your speed is 0.

    Haha I looked up your combat abilities. They're both hilarious and I love them.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Darmak
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Gelbub is a spindly old vodya with dark reddish skin and a milky eye, earned while playing as a child. He's tough and spry for his old age, however, and he typically wears simple traveler's clothes. Right now he's got on soft brown pantaloons held up by a bright green sash, and a long, orange, loose vest. No shoes, as he likes the feel of the road under his feet, but he does have a battered straw hat that's currently tied to his backpack. He'd spent most of his life traveling with his family's leggio across much of the land. He had a fondness for talking with people and storytelling, and so his parents sent him to a chronicler monastery to learn the ways of the chanters. Once he had learned what he could, he returned to his family and lent his services to those he encountered, healing and learning people's histories and giving advice. He saw and experienced much as his caravan's griot during his long life. His parents died from natural causes long ago, as have many of his many aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, and nephews. Those that are still alive have given up their traveling ways and have settled down, so now he has decided to strike out on his own and see what help he can offer.

    Link to Google doc with his stats and stuff:

    JtgVX0H.png
    kime
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 17
    Building:

    Narrative Stats
    Thrynn
    Guilder - Tolerance, Patience, Drive, Friendliness
    Mender - +2 Tinker
    - I addressed challenges with diplomacy, positivity, or empathy
    - I expressed my heritage, background or beliefs through my actions
    - I learned how someone or something was broken
    Effort: 5, Strain: 5
    Second Wind: None (only regain effort from bond powers, camping or interludes)
    Special Ability: You can allow someone else to regain 1 effort by spending 1 effort


    A Better Way (+1d or increased effect, on Tinker or Study)

    Actions

    culture or background - Guilder, Charm, Sense
    personal qualities - who i am, Studyx2
    life experience - what I did, Tinker, Sneak

    Sneak: +1
    Traverse: +0
    Sense: +1
    Study: +2
    Charm: +1 +1
    Command: +0
    Tinker: +3
    Excel: +0
    Smash: +0
    Endure: +0


    Combat Stats

    Wright
    Vitality: 8
    HP: 32
    Defense: 6
    Speed: 4 (Dash 2)
    Fray: 4
    Damage: D8
    Basic attack: Melee or Ranged 6

    Slip:Action or move,exile 1
    Levitation: Ignore dangerous terrain
    Aetherwall: Automatic cover against attacks outside of range 2
    Chain Reaction:1/turn, if 2 or more enemies in AoE, +1 Aether

    Aether - 1/turn

    Aether Deflection: Interrupt 1: On Target, Gain Resistance against the ability. Spend 1 Aether at any time to regain.
    Static Charge: Infuse reduced by 1 for each enemy in range 2. Min 1 cost.
    Storm Hilt Rage: Round 5 and above, teleports are range infinite, and as an effect to visible space before or after taking any action.
    Klingekunst: Teleport 3, Move

    Magnetism: Action Mark: Range 6, Electrified+, Aura 2 - Electrify, shove 1 towards+/away-.
    Levinblade: Heavy Attack, Arc 4 (any pattern, end is target, start is adj), 2d8+fray, miss/AoE: fray, electrify, teleport 1 before and after, On hit: 1 piercing damage again for each character adj to target, up to 4.
    - Infuse 2: effect area and teleport distance +2.
    -

    And taking the Aetherpearls as the camp item.
    They are basically walkie-talkies.
    And also give +1 to either Command or Charm to everyone.

    discrider on
    kime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    @Invictus hows the character creation going? No pressure, just wanna see if you have questions or such. Looks like we’re close to finishing these up and then we can get rolling!

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Bio:
    Cidryn is a dark-haired Thrynn lad, slight of build and somewhat shorter than average, recently expelled from the city of Penhold.

    When most think of the cities, they might think of their Aetheral wonders of mechanisation or their sprawling architecture. Cidryn doesn't hail from these parts though.
    Most citizens of Penhold, or at least those living within the walls, are packed into apartments in streets so small that the sun never reaches the ground.
    These are the Delves.
    These kin do what they can to get by, hoping to receive some scraps from higher society, but at least thankful for the walls and the, admittedly intermittent, access to the Aetheral network and other civic services.

    Down there, everything is recycled.
    Aetheral gimmicks and toys that might entertain a child of means for a day or two, are reclaimed and repurposed.
    Cidryn has spent his youth perfecting this art, pulling things apart and restoring them.
    His clothes have as many pockets as patches, and the fragrance of ozone often follows him.
    With his skills, he managed to earn his family some dust to work with, as well as access to conveniences not too often seen in the Delves, such as Aetheral ovens and the like.

    But eventually the thugs that controlled the Delves took notice.
    Not content with their normal protection money, they squeezed Cidryn's family more for their apparent 'wealth'.
    This continued until one morning an Aetheral blast took out the front wall of Cidryn's family store.
    The thugs tazed.
    And Cidryn gone.

    Since then, Cidryn has been plying his trade while moving town to town with other travellers.
    There's never a convoy that doesn't need something fixed, and it at least keeps a meal in his belly while he tries to find a better place in the world.

    Darmakkime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Alrighty, I'm going to suggest going ahead soon here. We don't have Invictus' character yet, but it's very easy to bring in a new character in a variety of ways for a good chunk of time here, even after leaving town. I haven't heard from them since their initial sign-up, so hopefully they're just busy and can hop in soon! :smile:

    So, two things!

    First! There is a new version of the rules. This is a small update, mostly just with some tweaks to jobs, and there aren't expected to be many/any other changes for some time while people playtest it. So, head over to https://massif-press.itch.io/icon to get the latest version, and doublecheck your job for changes. Feel free to adjust things if any of the few ability changes inspire you or whatnot. Again, this isn't any real huge stuff, I looked over it briefly already.

    Second! I'm not as available on the weekend, so I'd like to suggest starting the game on this Monday, the 22nd! (It'll probably be close to midnight for y'all in the US when I kick off due to the time difference, but as a reminder I'll be back on US time the following week when September starts.) Remember that ICON is a very player-led game, so I'm going to be looking to y'all almost immediately for what you want to do. You have most of the information you'll have to start the game off already from my earlier post, so feel free to brainstorm (privately or publicly) what you wanna do next! I'll offer a bit more info and maybe some suggestions if it seems helpful when we start Monday.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Elvenshae
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    i swear i'm still here and interested and paying attention. starting on Monday works for me and I'll get character stuff in asap

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    kimediscriderElvenshae
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    :(
    Electromag no longer turns enemies into Tesla towers.

    So now it's mostly a move that pushes/pulls enemies a little (when caught in the aura of the mark; used to also electrify them), with a buff/debuff on the marked ally/enemy.

    Any thoughts on whether I should be taking a second damaging move instead?

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    :(
    Electromag no longer turns enemies into Tesla towers.

    So now it's mostly a move that pushes/pulls enemies a little (when caught in the aura of the mark; used to also electrify them), with a buff/debuff on the marked ally/enemy.

    Any thoughts on whether I should be taking a second damaging move instead?

    My thoughts as GM which you are free to ignore :P
    Going in with no damage abilities (beyond the basic stuff) is a bit rough (maybe??? I've never played before haha)... but the first talent there lets you add some damage to it. And you get talents often enough. And CC/forced movement is usually powerful in games.

    Gelbub (Darmak's Chanter) also has no damage abilities, but Kay (Elvenshae's Fool) has two-ish. Maybe see what Invictus' character looks like first? If three of you can only damage with basic attacks, that seems hard, but two of you is more reasonable maybe?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    @discrider @Darmak @Invictus @Elvenshae

    We Begin!

    Crossing the Ox Bridge which gives the village its name and marks its borders, your group walks into Oxbridge. To your left, west of the town itself, you can see the farms on the steppes and many people working the land. The river that you just crossed curls up around the east side of the village, heading towards the mountains in the distant north where the river probably begins. The ground turns more hilly where you're headed, where the homes of the villagers are. At a first glance, it's still hard to see why you're here, what's the problem. You don't see any ruins (from here at least), there're no obvious signs of monster attacks, no technology that looks out-of-place...

    These are farmers. Is it possible there's nothing really suitable for adventurers or explorers here, and the villagers are scared of something mundane?

    But still, whatever that something is has spooked them. The village is quiet. You all can see people hurrying from one door to another, not staying outside long. A child laughs loudly from an upstairs window, and several people walking down the street jump, startled, before relaxing... a bit.

    You do see many of the townsfolks' eyes linger on you. Although you're not as fully decked out as the most accomplished adventurers, you're clearly more than a common trader. You all radiate an aura of something that is not commonly seen in a small farming village like Oxbridge. Are they looking at you with hope, or fear?

    How do you want to proceed?

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Your party:
    • Kaijin "Kay", an Islander Trogg Fool (Elvenshae)
    • Gelbub, a Leggio Vodya Chanter (Darmak)
    • Cidryn, a Guilder Thrynn Spellblade (discrider)
    • (to be filled in later) (Invictus)

    Some possibilities if you want a kickstart, but you are not limited to anything I say! Spoilered in case you don't wanna look at 'em
    • You can approach someone nearby and try to get them to open up. Although they've noticed you, most of them still look very nervous, and it may not be easy to get them to open up to strangers.
    • You can circle around the outskirts town to see if you can see anything else in the distance or in another part of the town that would cause this tense atmosphere, but there's no telling if you'll find anything.
    • It's possible that some of the people working the farm may be more ready to talk, since they are at least brave enough to spend most of their day out away from the shelter of their homes. But if you can't find someone, you'll waste most of the day going there and looking and heading back.
    • You could head towards the center of the town and see if you can find some sort of leader, someone more adventurous, or a new clue. But it may not yield anything more than the area of town you're in now.

    Also, @Darmak has a "start of session" choice to make. I think that's the only one, but if anyone else does you should do so!

    As no one has asked, I'm assuming you are familiar with the basics of rolling here out of combat, but if you want me to explain or point to the rules just lemme know. Nothing that needs to be rolled just yet, of course.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Remember the +1 bonus to Charm or Command from the Aetherpearls
    This can take the stat to 4 I believe.
    I edited it in, so not sure if everyone saw.

    'Hel.. Hello?', Cidryn starts, as a villager rushes past.
    'Well, this is a bit eerie. Where are all the kids?
    I'm not used to having the entire street to myself.'

    He eyes the villagers, rushing to and fro.
    'They have to have a shop somewhere though, don't they? No street stalls.', he muses.
    'How about we pop past and ask a shopkeep what's haunting everyone'

    kimeElvenshae
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Remember the +1 bonus to Charm or Command from the Aetherpearls
    This can take the stat to 4 I believe.
    I edited it in, so not sure if everyone saw.

    'Hel.. Hello?', Cidryn starts, as a villager rushes past.
    'Well, this is a bit eerie. Where are all the kids?
    I'm not used to having the entire street to myself.'

    He eyes the villagers, rushing to and fro.
    'They have to have a shop somewhere though, don't they? No street stalls.', he muses.
    'How about we pop past and ask a shopkeep what's haunting everyone'

    The villager you address tries not to make eye contact and walks faster. It's possible someone else may be more receptive if you keep trying, or you may have to try a different approach.

    There are several buildings that are pretty easily recognizable as shops, either from their signs or from a brief observation of what people come out carrying. Here on the southern outskirts of the village, there's one place offering some sort of carpentry services, and a place that looks like they sell more general supplies (basic foodstuffs, non-specialty household and travel supplies, and similar).

    Less "shop"-y, but there's also a nearby inn and stables. This is the same route most traders take to enter the village.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 22
    Wait, what start of session choice do I have to make?
    edit: oh wait, from my bond's special ability? I think I'll choose discrider's Cidryn! They seem like a nice lad, and might could use some help down the road

    Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    kime
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    It'd be really cool if we could get mentions fixed ...
    Crossing the Ox Bridge which gives the village its name and marks its borders, your group walks into Oxbridge.

    Kay whistles merrily as he crosses over the bridge into town, skipping through the foot traffic to check out first one side and then t'other. River traffic is light, at the moment - just a couple smaller fishing vessels plying their way across the current - fishing mostly by net, it appears.

    "Cidryn, lad, it's been days and days since I've wet my whistle with anything but water; and as cool and clear as it was, it's time and past time for sommat stronger. I need a civilized drink." With a subtle hooked thumb at the closed-in, hurrying townsfolk, he continues in a softer voice, "And everyone knows a glass of wine with a man or woman is oft enough to loosen tongues."

    kime
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I believe they have been fixed as of a couple of hours ago

    Cidryn grins wickedly at the thought of booze.
    But this is followed by a swift realisation and a clutching of a pocket.
    Food is probably more important.
    Sadly.

    "The inn it is then.", he smiles, holding onto a little hope.

    kime
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    "Well come on then, you lot. These old bones could use a drink and some new, friendly faces to chat with."

    Gelbub hikes up their haversack and thumps their cane into the road, heading towards the inn. He takes a deep breath, tasting the air of the village and finding it pleasant. "This is a nice little burg," he thinks, "what could be the matter with it?"

    JtgVX0H.png
    kime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The Merry Inn

    The inn is old, but well-kept. It's probably been there for decades. A section of the front wall is noticeably newer than the rest from some partial repairs years ago where the wood didn't quite match.

    You all head inside. The common room is mostly empty-- it's too late for lunch and too early for dinner, so that's not a bit surprise even not considering the atmosphere of the village. The only guest in the room is a Trogg woman, over in the corner nursing a mug. She looks up as you enter and raises an eyebrow.

    The woman opens her mouth to speak, but just then the innkeep comes out from a backroom. He's a short, middle-aged Thrynn man, and rubbing his hands on his apron as he walks out. He looks all of you, then asks in a deep voice, "well, you here by chance? Or come to help?"

    His voice is low, but carries across the room. The Trogg woman sits back in her chair to watch.

    How do you respond?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Cidryn laughs at this, "We can't be here for the food then? But yes, we're here to see what we can do, about.. whatever is keeping people off the streets."

    He sits down at the bar, "And also something to eat if you're still serving"

    kimeElvenshae
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Gelbub tips the woman in the corner a nod and a wink, then waddles over to the bar and hops up onto a stool next to Cidryn.

    "I'll have what the kid's havin'. And whatever these other two are getting, I'll cover that too."

    He takes a look around the room while kicking his feet back and forth, and without looking back asks, "So, what kind of help were you looking for? Looks like you already had a carpenter come by."

    JtgVX0H.png
    kime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    (mobile post)
    .
    He let's out a quick laugh, "ha! We'll see, I suppose. Don't have dinner ready yet, but we've always got some stew brewing."

    He goes back and returns a moment later with four bowls. He sets them down and looks at you so seriously.

    "An Arken ruin right up and popped out of the very earth not a day from here. That hasn't happened 'round Oxbridge ever. It's a bad sign, them ruins, everyone knows that. People've gone and disappeared, there's strange lights and sounds coming from it every night. The monsters will run over the town soon, mark my words, if something's not done. That's what happens when Arken ruins get involved, we all know it. Just... ain't got no where else to go, realty, this is home."

    He shrugs, then asks a bit skeptically, "That something you think you can handle?" It's clear, though, he's hiding hope beneath that question.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "That's a.. that's..", the kid starts before getting distracted by the wall, and walking over to it.
    "And what happened here.."

    Cid wants to Study the wall with A Better Way to learn what broke it

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited August 24
    discrider wrote: »
    "That's a.. that's..", the kid starts before getting distracted by the wall, and walking over to it.
    "And what happened here.."

    Cid wants to Study the wall with A Better Way to learn what broke it

    Sure, gimme a Fortune roll to see what you can figure out. No risks here for this really :)

    First roll of the game hype!

    kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 24
    Geth roll 3d6 for musing over a facade

    Could probably have pushed it, but three dice seemed good.
    Looks like pushing would have taken it from 40% to 50% chance of a six

    musing over a facade:
    3d6 10 [3d6=2, 5, 3]

    discrider on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Geth roll 3d6 for musing over a facade

    The repaired section of the wall is itself several years old, so it's nothing that's been done since the ruins appeared. It's about... well, person-sized, or a little bigger. Unlikely a section that large would have been caused by rot or age and not repaired sooner, but it's possible. More likely something happened suddenly to need fixed.

    The repairs were done well, with solid quality wood. Just not quite the same type.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
Sign In or Register to comment.