Options

[ICON] Game Start! - The Ruined Tower

13031323335

Posts

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Zin takes 8 damage, plus 3 piercing and 3 piercing. So: 14 total, 6 of which goes through Vigor/Armor.

    Battle Status:
    Round 1 turn order: Rohan, Wretch, Zin, Wretch, Wretch, Cidryn (Slow)
    Round 2 turn order: Wretch, Cidryn, Wretch, Zin, Wretch, Rohan
    Round 3 turn order: Wretch, Rohan, Wretch, Cid, Wretch. (Zin is KO'd)
    Round 4 turn order: Cidryn, Wretch, Hela, Wretch, Rohan, Wretch, Zin
    Round 5 turn order: Wretch, Rohan, Wretch, Hela, Wretch, Cidryn, Zin
    Round 6 turn order: Wretch, Cidryn, Wretch, Rohan, Wretch

    The Wretch has taken 138 damage.
    The Wretch has Stealth. The Wretch has Evasion.
    The Wretch is Vulnerable.
    The Wretch is Bloodied.
    Zin has been targeted by Crippling Paranoia.
    Hela HP: 13/40, 10 Vigor
    All players have been supernaturally slashed twice, dealing 4 damage at the start of their turns.
    Gwyn is in the cage.

    Party Resolve: 3

    Known Abilities:
    Crippling Paranoia (Round Action): At the start of the round, the Nocturnal chooses a foe. At the end of the round, that foe deals 6 damage to all allies in adjacent spaces and dazes them, then the nocturnal can shove them 1 in any direction.

    Assassinate (1 action, range 3, 1/round): The Nocturnal chooses a foe in range 3 that has not acted yet this round. At the end of that foe’s turn, as long as they’re in range 3, teleport to any space adjacent to them, deal 2 damage, three times to them, and blind them. Reduce this damage to just 2 damage if they have an adjacent ally. Then, fly 1.

    The Pain (1 action, attack, range 3, true strike, combo): Effect: Teleport 1. Attack: On hit: [D]+fray and shove 1. Miss: fray damage. Effect: Teleport 1
    * The Agony (1 action, attack, range 5, combo): On hit: 3 piercing damage, three times. Miss: 3 piercing damage once.
    The Horror (2 actions, attack, combo): On hit: 2[D]+fray. Miss: [D]+fray. Effect: Deals 2 damage again to the target for each that is true: bloodied, blinded, dazed.

    Great Fell Shot (1 action, range 4, 2/ round): Choose two free spaces in range. Characters that enter that space or start their turn there are struck by a projectile, taking 3 piercing damage twice, and ending this effect. This area lasts until triggered.

    Bloody Slash (1 action, area effect, line 4): Area effect: Foes in the area take 2 damage once for every foe in the line, up to three times. The Nocturnal may teleport to any space in the area after this ability resolves.

    Amygdala (1 action, range 2, 2/round): All foes in range are inflicted with supernatural fear. They must save or be shoved 3 spaces in a direction of the Nocturnal’s choice, or 1 space on a successful save.

    Bloody Nightmare (Round Action): At the start of the round, the Nocturnal supernaturally slashes all foes. For the rest of combat, all foes take 2 piercing damage at the start of their turns. This effect stacks.

    Kidnap (1 actions, 2/round): The Nocturnal dashes 4. A foe adjacent to any point during its dash is removed from the battlefield, then placed adjacent when it finishes its movement. Foes can save to avoid this effect, but are dazed on a successful save.

    wepxfk1i60rp.png

    The Wretch has taken it's last turn this round. Next up is both Zin and Hela, in any order

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Well, I can rescue Rohan, but Wretch still has stealth, so I can't hit it without being beside it. Can't do that and also rescue Rohan.

    And looking at space counts, I don't think I have enough move to both rescue Rohan and also hit the thing. So, probably back on a round of Rescue/Vigor shielding for me unless someone has something creative.

  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Could always have Hela go first, I think if she dashes she can get to H9 which would be enough to get the Wretch out of stealth and still hit it with Arm Shot. Would that improve your options?

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    pretty sure your rescue is range 4, and range can go diagonally

    So it looks to me like Zin could rescue Rohan without moving, and then move closer to the wretch and do something after?

    discrider on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oh, can range go Diagonal? I thought it couldn't, so I was counting squares that way.

    If Diagonal, I can move to F8 and rescue Rohan, and throw out a Sow on the Wretch if Hela goes first and gets Wretch out of Stealth.

    Part of that assumption of Sow is that when I trigger Reap, since it's a 1 range melee that can be used form anywhere, it ignores Stealth next turn. @kime Is that the right read on it?

    I'm trying to get a reap out because it'll let me summon Thralls who I think can help with stealth too.

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Range is diagonal, yes. Mostly just movement is in the cardinal directions.

    I would not read Reap as being able to bypass Stealth, really. Stealth prevents targeting the Wretch at all. Reap just lets you target them regardless of if you can see them or how close you are, but you still have to be targeting them. Agree/disagree?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    I think that's correct. Reap ignores distance and LoS when making the attack but stealth says 'You must be in an adjacent space to target the Wretch' which is not distance or LoS limitation.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Hmm. That maybe limits what I should be doing with it.

    That said, I can always just flip Reap for Regeneration instead, which still requires me to get a starter combo shot out of the way.

  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Oh geez, just saw that I'm going to drop on my turn due to the 4dmg per turn that penetrates Vigor.

    So, Hela will need to rescue Rohan.

    AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Oh geez, just saw that I'm going to drop on my turn due to the 4dmg per turn that penetrates Vigor.

    So, Hela will need to rescue Rohan.

    We've just established that the aura drops when you do, so Zin should only have been taking 2HP damage since he was rezzed the first time

    ... If that helps

    discrider on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Ah, right. I couldn't remember if I dropped before or after that. Makes me wonder if I took a turn with 4HP loss, but oh well.

    It doesn't make sense to sacrifice Hela just for me to get a Sow in, so I'll just take my turn.


    Zin shifts again, seeing Rohan drop. The pain that he constantly feels from the Wretch weakens him, but he fights through it to toss the white mist back at Rohan, raising his companion.

    With another wave, he gathers up the green mist and sends it over to Cid, building a shield of life energy around him.


    Move to F8
    Rescue on Rohan
    Diaga on Cid

    Zin is at 2HP, and will drop at the start of his next turn.

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Feel free to look back through posts and give yourself more HP if you deserve it!

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Maybe consider moving to G10 instead of F8? Hela is heading that way anyway so it's easier for her to rescue you next turn and it would break the Wretch's stealth and let her get in more attacks. Alternately, you could copy rohan and "accidentally" run into one of the fell shots to down yourself and we'd have Hela rescue you.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    If I move to G10, I can't rescue Rohan.

  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    I think you can rescue Rohan at G6 before moving.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    @kime Do I need line of sight to Rohan to Rescue? I can reach him from where I am now, but I'm assuming that thing in the middle is a pillar of sorts, so do I need to see him?

  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    it's an altar, so it's only one height higher than the ground you're standing on.
    So it should be providing cover, not blocking LoS

  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    If that's the case, then my actions will be:

    Rescue Rohan
    Move to G10
    Sow on Wretch
    3 autohit dmg.
    Blessing on Zin.
    After complete, 2 piercing dmg on Wretch.
    Edit: Wretch is also sealed and marked

    Zin is now at 2hp.

    AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Hela follows Zin through keeping a safe distance due to the dark aura surrounding him. She peppers the Wretch with shots from her armor's weapon systems, aiming for the limbs to try to slow the creature down.

    Hela takes 4 piecing damage at the start of the round. HP = 9/40. Vigor = 10.
    Move from I6 to H8.
    Action 1: Use Arm Shot on Wretch.
    Action 2: Use Leg Shot on Wretch. (strange that these aren't attack actions)

    Wretch takes 4 damage. During their next turn, they can only move a maximum of 3 spaces. After they move 3 spaces, they become immobile for the rest of the turn. After their next attack, they become unable to attack for their entire following turn.

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Despite the damage the Wretch has taken, it still stands. Reeling, moving more slowly, and clearly visible, it turns back into the more amorphous form it initially was. The shadow around Zin dissipates harmlessly.

    The Wretch shoots out piercing shadows at Zin!

    Geth roll 1d20+1d6 to hit Zin with The Agony
    9 damage if it hits, 3 otherwise. But I don't think it matters.

    Then it shoots out more globules, clearly hoping to keep the party away from it. With Zin down, the Wretch is shrouded in shadows again.

    Great Fell Shot at E11 and F11.

    Looking at the damage..... It is pretty likely whoever goes next is going to finish the Wretch off. Who wants to make a suitably epic action and make it happen?

    Battle Status:
    Round 1 turn order: Rohan, Wretch, Zin, Wretch, Wretch, Cidryn (Slow)
    Round 2 turn order: Wretch, Cidryn, Wretch, Zin, Wretch, Rohan
    Round 3 turn order: Wretch, Rohan, Wretch, Cid, Wretch. (Zin is KO'd)
    Round 4 turn order: Cidryn, Wretch, Hela, Wretch, Rohan, Wretch, Zin
    Round 5 turn order: Wretch, Rohan, Wretch, Hela, Wretch, Cidryn, Zin
    Round 6 turn order: Wretch, Cidryn, Wretch, Rohan, Wretch, Zin, Hela
    Round 6 turn order: Wretch,

    The Wretch has taken 147 damage.
    The Wretch has Stealth. The Wretch has Evasion.
    The Wretch is Sealed.
    The Wretch is Marked by Zin's Sow.
    The Wretch is Bloodied.
    The Wretch cannot Attack for its next turn.
    Hela HP: 9/40, 10 Vigor
    All players have been supernaturally slashed twice, dealing 4 damage at the start of their turns.
    Gwyn is in the cage.

    Party Resolve: 3

    Known Abilities:
    Crippling Paranoia (Round Action): At the start of the round, the Nocturnal chooses a foe. At the end of the round, that foe deals 6 damage to all allies in adjacent spaces and dazes them, then the nocturnal can shove them 1 in any direction.

    Assassinate (1 action, range 3, 1/round): The Nocturnal chooses a foe in range 3 that has not acted yet this round. At the end of that foe’s turn, as long as they’re in range 3, teleport to any space adjacent to them, deal 2 damage, three times to them, and blind them. Reduce this damage to just 2 damage if they have an adjacent ally. Then, fly 1.

    The Pain (1 action, attack, range 3, true strike, combo): Effect: Teleport 1. Attack: On hit: [D]+fray and shove 1. Miss: fray damage. Effect: Teleport 1
    The Agony (1 action, attack, range 5, combo): On hit: 3 piercing damage, three times. Miss: 3 piercing damage once.
    * The Horror (2 actions, attack, combo): On hit: 2[D]+fray. Miss: [D]+fray. Effect: Deals 2 damage again to the target for each that is true: bloodied, blinded, dazed.

    Great Fell Shot (1 action, range 4, 2/ round): Choose two free spaces in range. Characters that enter that space or start their turn there are struck by a projectile, taking 3 piercing damage twice, and ending this effect. This area lasts until triggered.

    Bloody Slash (1 action, area effect, line 4): Area effect: Foes in the area take 2 damage once for every foe in the line, up to three times. The Nocturnal may teleport to any space in the area after this ability resolves.

    Amygdala (1 action, range 2, 2/round): All foes in range are inflicted with supernatural fear. They must save or be shoved 3 spaces in a direction of the Nocturnal’s choice, or 1 space on a successful save.

    Bloody Nightmare (Round Action): At the start of the round, the Nocturnal supernaturally slashes all foes. For the rest of combat, all foes take 2 piercing damage at the start of their turns. This effect stacks.

    Kidnap (1 actions, 2/round): The Nocturnal dashes 4. A foe adjacent to any point during its dash is removed from the battlefield, then placed adjacent when it finishes its movement. Foes can save to avoid this effect, but are dazed on a successful save.

    vt6ahgwi39sy.png

    to hit Zin with The Agony:
    1d20+1d6 8 [1d20=2] [1d6=6]

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    9 damage if it hits, 3 otherwise. But I don't think it matters.

    Correct. Because it's piercing, Zin drops no matter what.

  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Gwyn rolls to hit
    Geth roll 1d20

    1d20 2 [1d20=2]

  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    I'll defer to Cid or Zin, they want to deliver the final blow. Rohan will see to Hela (he might have a weakness for a woman in uniform)

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    If Zin goes, Zin drops, so probably good for someone else to go.

  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Cid groans as Zin goes down.
    They have to get out of here, and quick.
    But the only way out is through..

    Cid pushes himself up on top of the cage next to the shadow, before bringing both his hands down in a glowing arc.

    Cid HP -> 10, Aether ->3
    Cid teleports to the top of the cage at F10, before using Nothung on the Wretch

    -1 curse for dazed, +1 boon for elevation
    Geth roll 1d20 to hit
    Geth roll 2d8+4 for damage

    On a miss, the Wretch is hit with 4 fray, and then the Wretch is hit for another 2 piercing damage as Zin and Cidryn are both adjacent.

    Geth roll 1d20 for dazed

    .. clearly Cid really doesn't like Zin going down, as he crits out of the Dazed condition.

    to hit:
    1d20 19 [1d20=19]
    damage:
    2d8+4 7 [2d8=2, 1]
    dazed:
    1d20 20 [1d20=20]

    discrider on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The Wretch recoils from Cid's mighty blow. It's amorphous limbs twist and withe. A loud shriek pierces your ears, stunning you all, before an abrupt silence ensues. The Wretch curls in on itself, now eerily quiet, becoming smaller and smaller. It's form more and more solid as it is compressed.

    Then, from one moment to the next, it is gone. An oppressive heaviness that you had all but forgotten disappears as the room is now comfortably lit from the four braziers.

    The otherworldly Demon is gone. All that remain are the three of you, an injured Hela, and--hopefully--the lost child of Elder Yu you were sent to find.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    We are out of combat! You have defeated a Legendary foe! What will you do now?

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Do conditions clear? Technically Zin hadn't gone yet to drop due to the slash, so that goes away right and we're just as hurt as we ended?

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Do conditions clear? Technically Zin hadn't gone yet to drop due to the slash, so that goes away right and we're just as hurt as we ended?

    Yes, the battle conditions are gone. The heat of combat is over, and you are able to properly care for your injuries, etc

    kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Rohan sighs in relief as the Wretch fades away. He hasn't had such a close call since that card game in Deadman's Gulch.

    "Everyone alright? Cid, Zin, Ma'am? We should check on the younglin' too."

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Zin shuffles over to lean on the altar in the middle of the room. "That one was rough."

    He looks around just to double check that the Wretch actually had faded away. "We should find the kid, but maybe also rest up. Who knows what other thing might be waiting for us outside here and I can't take too many more hits."

  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    "I'm for hightailin' outta here as soon we catch our breath. Lingering here seems like a good way to end up planted in a bone orchard. Let's grab the nipper and make tracks."

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Hela limps over to the center of the room, on the raised platform where the Wretch initially was. She reaches down and lifts up a small orb. You can all see that it's glowing with a faint light. Warily and wearily, she looks around at the three of you. "This is our objective. The Arkenrelic our scans originally found... This is what my soldiers died for. I cannot leave without it."

    She pauses, waiting a moment. Wounded and tired as you are, she is as well, and you still outnumber her three-to-one. She's aware of her odds, but looks determined.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Cidryn looks around, a bit overloaded.
    Zin appears to be up and regaining a bit of strength.
    Hela appears to be more.. animated.
    And Gwyn is..

    Cidryn slides off the cage.
    "Hi! I have.. your shoe.", he says, starting a totally normal conversation.

    Is Gwyn able to get out of the cage?
    Is it Gwyn in the cage?

    discrider on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Zin looks over to Hela who jumped up and reached into the Altar that he was leaning against and pulled something out. He stares at her for a moment, then laughs. "I do not give two flying craps about whatever that is."

    He pushes himself off and walks over towards Cid and Gwyn, readying his healing magic should Gwyn need it.

  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Hela limps over to the center of the room, on the raised platform where the Wretch initially was. She reaches down and lifts up a small orb. You can all see that it's glowing with a faint light. Warily and wearily, she looks around at the three of you. "This is our objective. The Arkenrelic our scans originally found... This is what my soldiers died for. I cannot leave without it."

    She pauses, waiting a moment. Wounded and tired as you are, she is as well, and you still outnumber her three-to-one. She's aware of her odds, but looks determined.

    "Don't fret, Ma'am. We're here for the young stray and not any do-gadget and you came through for us when you could have waited until the daemon was using our bones for toothpicks, I don't think there's any buckaroo here that will object to you staking your claim. Still, this tower ain't no place for a lone lady even one as dashingly dangerous as yourself. Might this cowpoke offer to escort you back out? I'm a bit banged up but I can still hold my shootin' iron."

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Cidryn looks around, a bit overloaded.
    Zin appears to be up and regaining a bit of strength.
    Hela appears to be more.. animated.
    And Gwyn is..

    Cidryn slides off the cage.
    "Hi! I have.. your shoe.", he says, starting a totally normal conversation.

    Is Gwyn able to get out of the cage?
    Is it Gwyn in the cage?

    Gwyn is able to fit out of the cage. There are enough broken and bent bars for the youth to make it out, with a bit of a squeeze. He looks tired, and scared still. You can see a small puddle of muddy water at the bottom-- he may have been drinking that to survive these past few days.

    He hesitantly looks at the shoe, then at you, then back at the shoe. Then down at his feet (one clod, one bare). "Th... thanks..." he says, weakly, reaching slowly for it.
    Korror wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Hela limps over to the center of the room, on the raised platform where the Wretch initially was. She reaches down and lifts up a small orb. You can all see that it's glowing with a faint light. Warily and wearily, she looks around at the three of you. "This is our objective. The Arkenrelic our scans originally found... This is what my soldiers died for. I cannot leave without it."

    She pauses, waiting a moment. Wounded and tired as you are, she is as well, and you still outnumber her three-to-one. She's aware of her odds, but looks determined.

    "Don't fret, Ma'am. We're here for the young stray and not any do-gadget and you came through for us when you could have waited until the daemon was using our bones for toothpicks, I don't think there's any buckaroo here that will object to you staking your claim. Still, this tower ain't no place for a lone lady even one as dashingly dangerous as yourself. Might this cowpoke offer to escort you back out? I'm a bit banged up but I can still hold my shootin' iron."

    OK I think I've translated this correctly :lol:

    Helo pauses a moment, perhaps unused to such offers of kindness. "Very well. I thank you for your help. Remember my name, should you need Imperial aid."

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "How are you feeling? Are you hurt at all?"
    Cidryn looks around at the rest of the room.
    It seemed safe enough, especially with all the light in here now.
    If Gwyn needed to stay a while..

    ".. and how did you get down here anyhow? There didn't appear to be a easy way down..
    Did you have a way past those big doors up above?"

  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Gwyn responds with a weak voice. "I think... I think I'm OK. It couldn't touch the metal bars, I think, so I haven't been able to sneak out... I was just looking for anything valuable, that trader said we could make some Dust and I thought it would help everyone out..."

    He starts to slowly crawl out of the cage. "I snuck in through one of the holes in the wall, not the doors. I was looking around and then some huge monsters showed up! So I ran down here, but then there was... that. And I've been here since..."

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Gwyn responds with a weak voice. "I think... I think I'm OK. It couldn't touch the metal bars, I think, so I haven't been able to sneak out... I was just looking for anything valuable, that trader said we could make some Dust and I thought it would help everyone out..."

    He starts to slowly crawl out of the cage. "I snuck in through one of the holes in the wall, not the doors. I was looking around and then some huge monsters showed up! So I ran down here, but then there was... that. And I've been here since..."

    Sounds like the kid can travel. Let's retrace our steps and get out of this tower rather than keep poking around. Even if we were in any condition to seek out another fight, I'd rather not do it with the kid in tow.

    Oh and Risk/Reward to flirt with Hela on the way out? :)

    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
Sign In or Register to comment.