As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ICON] Game Start! - The Ruined Tower

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Actually, the Spectre can't hit me from that square. It can only make attacks at range 2, because it's blinded, and it's currently at range 3. :D

Elvenshae on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    pretty sure it moves forward 1 more then :P

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    pretty sure it moves forward 1 more then :P

I swear I know how to count. But yeah it can get in range of you still.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Come play ICON, they said. It's combat is just a simple tactics game, they said. It's like an easy mode of FFT, they said ...

edited October 2022
    Unsure what your plan is next turn Elvenshae, but potentially you could chase / engage the second Spectre, while I finish off the revived ones,
    Or you could finish them off while I stand on the mound and revive our healer

Actually... You could probably do both

discrider on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Not sure if I get boon or not so will roll without it

Geth, roll 1d20

1d20 6 [1d20=6]

AustinP0027 on
    I can drop a grenade on the injured Spectre and then book it cross-country to take a pot-shot at Spectre #1; or vice-versa. If I take the first option, I wouldn't be able to hit Spectre #1 with any blights / etc., so it might be better to grenade Spectre #1 (so it has the chance to be made blinded and burning.

OOC replies:
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Come play ICON, they said. It's combat is just a simple tactics game, they said. It's like an easy mode of FFT, they said ...

Oy oy "simple" and "easy" were not used! :lol: . Honestly, for the first combat in a new game with a decently technical, detailed system, this is going pretty OK! Mistakes are being made, but nothing that isn't caught pretty quickly or fixable for the most part. We'll get better. I'm still polishing my own system for how to track things from the GM side, getting close I think :smile:
    Big question about bonus damage on flat amounts, is whether adding a D of damage puts damage on zero damage blight-adding non-attack abilities like Electromagnetism.
    I would assume non-attacks shouldn't be dealing damage

And Cid clears his electrified

I think it shouldn't give bonus damage. Rules as-written implies it would, I think, but I don't like that :lol: . If y'all feel otherwise, we can say those abilities would deal Bonus Damage, but seems weird to me. Either way, affects both allies and enemies!

After knocking Zin down, the lightning bounces back to Kay! Kay, you take 4 damage! This is not technically an area effect, so you are not immune to this damage.

As a reminder, at the start of this round the Automata Rose Again. The Spectres and the Automata are all powered up. The mound's mechanism is paused.

In the fray of the battle, you hear something else. An approaching noise from outside the tower, in the direction you all took to get here from the town. It doesn't sound large enough to be a monster. Maybe just one person, approaching? In the midst of the fight, you can't tell more.

The Automata, newly repowered, is the first to act. It steps right up to be below Kay, charges its beam and shoots at Kay!

Geth roll 1d20-1d6 for Lightning Bolter hit with Curse for elevation, no penalty for adjacency

Lightning Bolter hit with Curse for elevation, for adjacency:
    1d20-1d6 11 [1d20=16] [1d6=5]

Steam profile
    edited October 2022
    Despite the point-blank attack, Kay somehow twists and just manages to dodge the bolt of energy! That woulda been a critical hit and bonus damage. Rough!

Buzzing angrily, the Automata charges up its core and unleashes a a flash of light towards Kay! There's no dodging this! Ability details below, not sure if y'all have seen this yet

Geth roll 1d8 for Discharge Bolt damage

Kay takes 6 damage!

Discharge Bolt (1 action): The Automata shoots a line 8 area effect. Characters in the area are electrified. Electrified characters take [D]

u9l0xtrfb43g.png

It is now the Player's Turn. First turn for players this round.

Discharge Bolt damage:
    1d8 6 [1d8=6]

kime on
    Steam profile
    Just so I don't forget, since Tomb Guard is poisoned, they are also branded, so all attackers gain +1 Boon against them.

Dodge (Vagabond) - Immune to all damage from missed attacks, successful saves, and area effects.

:D

Dodge (Vagabond) - Immune to all damage from missed attacks, successful saves, and area effects.

:D

Hmm

HMMMMMM

It's not an attack, so doesn't have the normal AOE phrasing, but it does say it's an "area effect." You win this one, you dirty dodger you. Automata had nothing better to do, so it's still y'all's turn.

Steam profile
    I can drop a grenade on the injured Spectre and then book it cross-country to take a pot-shot at Spectre #1; or vice-versa. If I take the first option, I wouldn't be able to hit Spectre #1 with any blights / etc., so it might be better to grenade Spectre #1 (so it has the chance to be made blinded and burning.

Was thinking that you could drop/detonate the bomb and then run across and sit on the other Spectre, but I'm not sure you can quite get there now.

Do you still have a Stacked Die, Elvenshae?

Steam profile
    edited October 2022
    he killed the automoton, so yeah

discrider on
    I do indeed still have a Stacked Die. I do not have the movement to do anything where I'm currently standing, make it across the map, and do anything to the other Spectre. I can attempt to beat up on the Red Shield instead?

edited October 2022
    I think you definitely blow up Spectre 2.
    Then maybe move adjacent to Spectre 1 so that when you slay 2 you can drop the bomb on him so they can't get away.

Hitting the red shield is fine too, but I don't think grouping up or getting stuck next to the red shield is a good idea

discrider on
    Seems like the Spectres are the ones who are doing all the big dmg (worse now with auto-crit) so taking out even one will be a major improvement

Do we know how many HP Spectre #2 has left?

I can drop 6 guaranteed damage on it, if need be, but if 3 will do it, then I can revive Zin.

edited October 2022
    I believe they rise again with 1/4 HP (which for Cid - same class - would be 8) and it's been hit for 3?

... I had thought it was on fire again too, but that doesn't seem to be the case

They've also got Aetheral and take half damage if there's no-one adjacent

discrider on
    edited October 2022
    Just so I don't forget, since Tomb Guard is poisoned, they are also branded, so all attackers gain +1 Boon against them.

I think we've been reading this wrong. For both this and the Spectres.
    Compare this with Kay's bomb (blinded and burning).
    I think Xin's is meant to read "If the target was already poisoned, it is branded", which it was.
    And the Spectre's shock "If Cid is already Vulnerable, take 4 damage and they are electrified"

Cid might not have been electrified yet.
    I'll have to reread.
    Nothing that really needs changing.

..and Cid would have been electrified after that.
    But it's more funny if no-one could tell for sure.

Anyway, I don't think I can fray Spectre 2 to death.
    It probably has 5 HP left.

Cid can catch the mech and the guard in a single blast though, but it won't help our healer much.

discrider on
    In that case ...

Kay leaps over the beam of concentrated pain emitted by the Automata, and lands on one knee with a pistol in his hand. He aims crossbody towards the Spectre, and pulls the trigger ...

Geth, roll 1d20 for ranged basic attack

ranged basic attack:
    1d20 12 [1d20=12]

A 12 hits the Spectre

Steam profile
    I think that's likely to be a hit? I'll assume it is, for now.

The shot hits home, though somewhat ablated by the Spectre's mystical shielding.

That's a Finishing Blow, given that the Spectre s bloodied, so I pick up bonus damage. It has resistance against the ranged attack (unless that went away when it came back to life). I pick up a Stacked Die, but I already had one so ... nothing happens.

Geth, roll 2d10k1+3 for Damage

Damage:
    2d10k1+3 7 [2d10k1=[4], 1]

This is all fine, but I will say that the resistance goes away if you are adjacent to it. If you wanted to try and do something with that, let me know, otherwise we can move forward as-is.

Steam profile
    edited October 2022
    I have to move to be adjacent to it, and that means I'd be stuck there instead of booking it across the map to set up for a future turn.

The bullet slides through a disturbance in the air and wangs off the Spectre, but it appears to still be holding itself together. Kay throws the spent pistol at the Automata, grabs another grenado from his belt, and drops it lightly over the edge, between the Automata and the Spectre. He then books it in the opposite direction, hoping to get out of range of the explosion.

Carnivale! as my second action. The bomb lands 1 square to my NW, so that it's got both the Automata and the Spectre in its radius (for now!!!). Then move DR (double cost), D, DL to end my turn.

b8sajnuiaoyi.png

Next up is an enemy! Also, the Automata took 1 point of damage when it missed me with its attack, thanks to Cheap Trick.

Elvenshae on
    edited October 2022
    @Elvenshae do you blow your bomb?
    Ah, it doesn't get to blow the turn it goes down, or this turn anyway :(

discrider on
    Yep, we check each turn after the one in which I drop it.

edited October 2022
    The Arc Spectre Kay struck is only just holding itself together. It looks like any blow will cause it to fall apart.

As one of your foes prepares to strike back at you, the sound you heard moments earlier becomes clear. The sound of someone--or something--approaching the Arken Ruins from the rough direction of the town. South of each of you, reaching the crest before the battle, a Trogg figure arrives.

5lx2canzbxxw.png

@Korror , feel free to introduce what everyone sees as you arrive!

It is still the enemies' turn, but Rohan is joining this round and will be able to join in on a player's turn (in whichever order y'all want, as normal).

I'm going to go through later today and double-check, but I have Kay electrified, and no other Marks/Blights/etc on the players.

The Tomb Guard is Poisoned, Branded, and Marked from Zin. Arc Spectre 2 is Blinded from Kay. And.... I think that's it?

b0gueirb82x8.png

Edited in disc's fixes.

kime on
    Steam profile
    edited October 2022
    The guard is also Branded as it was already Poisoned, and Xin is no longer electrified, but yeah

(Also unsure what happens to Xin's mark. Presumably it drops. But then Reap is still readied but has no mark to use?)

discrider on
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    A burly Trogg in a greatcoat and a long brimmed hat hustles onto the battlefield.

(Imagine this but much more burly)
    h0bodm56trvx.jpeg

"You fellas look like you might need a hand. Let's see if these here relict can stand a spec of magic lead."

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    The guard is also Branded as it was already Poisoned, and Xin is no longer electrified, but yeah

(Also unsure what happens to Xin's mark. Presumably it drops. But then Reap is still readied but has no mark to use?)

I'll doublecheck after work meetings. Reap doesn't need a mark, though.

Steam profile
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    What I can do tactically: My damage bonuses trigger off attacking electrified and marked enemies, if none are already marked/electrified then I'm probably best off moving next to one of the specters and hitting them with a melee attack. I can also trigger slow which will force the enemy to act after all of us which might be useful for keeping them in place for the bomb to go off.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    edited October 2022
    I'll need to know where Rohan is gonna start. Anywhere on the bottom row.

The Tomb Guard is not Marked, as Zin has been defeated.

The near-death Arc Spectre floats forward. Blinded, it cannot attack at a range, but it seeks revenge! It shoots a bolt of lightning at Kay!

Geth roll 1d20 for Chain Lightning attack

Geth roll 3d20k2+4 for Chain Lightning damage if it hits, with bonus damage since Kay is already Electrified

No need to save if this hits, as no one is within range 3 of you. And of course, Kay being Kay, you take no damage if it misses. Grrrr

Geth roll 1d20 to save from Blinded

9pm2mwdiz1h2.png

This is the Arc Spectre's turn, so it's the players next!

Chain Lightning attack:
    1d20 19 [1d20=19]
    Chain Lightning damage if it hits, with bonus damage since Kay is already Electrified:
    3d20k2+4 13 [3d20k2=[6, 3], 3]
    to save from Blinded:
    1d20 3 [1d20=3]

kime on
    Steam profile
    edited October 2022
    unless @Elvenshae wants to use the stacked die to automatically evade (and kill the Spectre here with cheap trick), rolling for Evasion

Geth roll 1d6 for Evasion

Evasion:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

discrider on
    unless @Elvenshae wants to use the stacked die to automatically evade (and kill the Spectre here with cheap trick), rolling for Evasion

Ge th roll 1d6 for Evasion

Good catch, as usual :D:D

The bomb would not hit the Spectre, right? It would hit the Automata though. Depending on where/if the Stacked Die is used, someone who wants to can roll a 1d6 for the bomb too :)

Steam profile
    The mech is not moving until next round, so probably should just roll the bomb, until it detonates.

Yeah, from here, the bomb will hit the burning, blinded Automata (since I don't think "dying" and "rising again" clears burning, but I could be wrong ... Need to look that up; dying clears marks, but not blights, I think?).

And, yeah, since the Spectre missed (Go, go, Gadget Evade!), I use
    Cheap Trick to remotely smack it for a point of damage and teleport 1 square to the left, bringing me next to our downed healer (?).

If the bomb doesn't naturally blow up this turn, then there's no reason to rush it; I can always make it blow up at the end of the next player turn.

edited October 2022
    Kay's bomb hisses whatever hidden fuse it has shortens, but it does not explode ... yet.

Geth, roll 1d6 for A bomb

A bomb:
    1d6 2 [1d6=2]

Elvenshae on
    Yeah, from here, the bomb will hit the burning, blinded Automata (since I don't think "dying" and "rising again" clears burning, but I could be wrong ... Need to look that up; dying clears marks, but not blights, I think?).

And, yeah, since the Spectre missed (Go, go, Gadget Evade!), I use
    Cheap Trick to remotely smack it for a point of damage and teleport 1 square to the left, bringing me next to our downed healer (?).

If the bomb doesn't naturally blow up this turn, then there's no reason to rush it; I can always make it blow up at the end of the next player turn.

Dying fixes most things! Except, you know, being dead-ish.

Defeated characters clear all statuses, marks, vigor, and other effects on them.

You are now adjacent to Zin, southeast of 'em.

Players are up!

Steam profile