As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's Actually Zero Difference Between Good & [Bad] Food

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    DF_WindowMenu_24x36_Sept2022-1536x1024.jpg

As I read this I found myself thinking “Shit, Columbus isn’t that far …if I got in the car now, I could probably have this for dinner?”
    Alas, I have Too Much To Do to make this particular Sunday into Hot Dog Road Trip but now that card has been shuffled into my deck of possible throw-off-the-shackles-and-do-something-out-of-pocket weekend activities.

Dirty Franks is fanfuckingtastic, it’s also next to one of those “play old arcade games for free while you drink” bars

There is nothing keener then their wiener

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    God dammit fine I ordered a chili cheese dog and some chili cheese fries for lunch, are you monsters happy?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I should get chili this week.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    God dammit fine I ordered a chili cheese dog and some chili cheese fries for lunch, are you monsters happy?

Because I'm pretty jazzed, it turns out. Also sleepy.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Yes, but mainly because I had fish pie, with nutmeg buttered spinach, for dinner. Served up alongside a glass of chilled Montrachet, followed by a bowl of apple crumble with some very good straight up not fancy just well made vanilla ice cream. And now a frankly indulgent glass of this:

remy-martin-tercet.jpg

• Options
    It's my birthday I'm allowed

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    So our local foodbank has an event all February that sees a bunch of local restaurants do specialty grilled cheese sandwiches and a portion of the proceeds go to the foodbank. The one we tried today was from one of our local diners and its chicken fried steak, an egg, hashbrowns in a classic American cheese grilled cheese, with a side of country gravy for dipping/spooning onto the sandwich.

It was so incredibly good. My god. I felt myself lose at least a couple weeks off the end of my lifespan though.

t3ut4euaw5z2.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    If it's local to you, it's at least semi-local to me. I require this information.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So our local foodbank has an event all February that sees a bunch of local restaurants do specialty grilled cheese sandwiches and a portion of the proceeds go to the foodbank. The one we tried today was from one of our local diners and its chicken fried steak, an egg, hashbrowns in a classic American cheese grilled cheese, with a side of country gravy for dipping/spooning onto the sandwich.

It was so incredibly good. My god. I felt myself lose at least a couple weeks off the end of my lifespan though.

t3ut4euaw5z2.jpg

https://youtu.be/QR1P2-LHLIs

https://youtu.be/WAQL3NwMx1U

I had these ready because of the Monte Cristo discourse in the …. D&D congress thread????

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Ohioans have disgusting food places

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    If it's local to you, it's at least semi-local to me. I require this information.

The 99 Grill in Harrisburg.

Also look up the Grilled Cheese Experience, thats the event going on all month.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

The 99 Grill in Harrisburg.

Also look up the Grilled Cheese Experience, thats the event going on all month.

I'm already familiar with the event, thank you :D

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

No, I am rather unhappy that I don't also have those things

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It's Tu Beshvat! Jewish holiday of the Trees. Sometimes called Jewish Arbor Day or Jewish Earth Day. This holiday is officially the Birthday or New Year of the Trees.

Torah advises that we are not to eat the produce of our trees for the first 3 years of it's life. On the 4th year, we are to take the produce of the Tree and give it to the Temple/priests. On the 5th year of the tree, the produce is finally the person who planted it.

But how to know how old a tree is? If you planted it in autumn, do you count from then?

So during the Diaspora it was determined that Tu Beshvat, or the 15th day of the month of Shevat, would be the Birthday of all trees. No matter when they were planted!

Traditionally celebrated by planting trees in local areas, donating money to plant a tree in Israel, and eating lots of tree produce (like fruits)

If you're not in a position to plant a tree, then a suggested tradition is to find a fruit or tree produce that is "new to you" and try that. Dried fruits are also traditional.

My synagogue used to give us dried fruits of Israel in little packets, but these also included carob bits which is a crime against childhood

Today was food shopping day, so I grabbed some 'New to us" fruits to try! We got some Finger limes, a grapefruit, and some tinned guava halves.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I like trying new fruit

That sounds kinda cool

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I really wanted to plant a tree, but with the weather we've been having lately, it's just not quite the right time. So new fruits it is!

• Options
    I've always wanted to try durian

Durian grows on a tree right?

• Options
    Yeah I think so.

I did spy some frozen durian pancakes and gave that a strong consideration. but i dont' have enough room in my freezer at the moment to justify buying something on a whim.

• Options
    At least you're closer to where they grow

I don't think I can get them very easy here in the middle of the USA

There's a new huge Asian grocery opening here soon though and I might check there to see if they have any in the freezer section

Alternatively lychee or something

• Options
    Doesn’t durian smell like rotting buttholes or am I thinking of a different fruit

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Doesn’t durian smell like rotting buttholes or am I thinking of a different fruit

You’re thinking of something else.

Durian smells waaaaay worse than rotting buttholes.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I ate way too many chicken wings just now

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    definitely try lychee if you haven't, it's very good. From the reaction videos I've seen, I'll be staying far away from durian.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

There's a new huge Asian grocery opening here soon though and I might check there to see if they have any in the freezer section

Is it an H-Mart? Then yes, they will have durian.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Fresh lychee is great, but the canned stuff is actually pretty good and worth buying too. Usually not to hard to find in the International aisle of most grocery stores around here.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Fresh lychee is great, but the canned stuff is actually pretty good and worth buying too. Usually not to hard to find in the International aisle of most grocery stores around here.

Also you can use the syrup from the canned lychees in cocktails.

And durian's fine, you should try it if you want to and can get some.

• Options
    lychee are legit my favourite fruit, along with cherries. and tinned lychee are amazing and available year round.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Lychees are wonderful.

Durian is… challenging, but I think the hype around it is overblown.

They do smell pretty bad, though, it’s the kind of thing I would go outside to crack open and eat because I don’t want my whole apartment smelling like durian.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Lychee are real good. Strong recommend there. Durian is good too, but like… it really does fucking stink. Which makes it a tough value proposition. Especially when there are tons of better tasting fruits that aren’t actively hostile towards you trying to enjoy them (yeah, fuck you too, pineapple). Definitely try it at least once, though!

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Yeah lychees nice. If you like eating the eyeballs of a tree

• Options
    mmmm retinalicious!

• Options
    That’s how you gain greensight

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    The blue edition red bull for japan is lychee flavored. ^.^

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Next level pigs in a blanket.

INCREDIBLY CRISPY AND TENDER PORK BELLY (ASMR, RELAXING SOUNDS, 4K, CAMPING)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x183P7BH2Jo

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Yes, but mainly because I had fish pie, with nutmeg buttered spinach, for dinner. Served up alongside a glass of chilled Montrachet, followed by a bowl of apple crumble with some very good straight up not fancy just well made vanilla ice cream. And now a frankly indulgent glass of this:

remy-martin-tercet.jpg

Not a big cognac guy, but Tercet is an delicious exception. The fruity nature of it is closer to a good Calvados and I found myself loving it, despite my far greater preferences for armagnac.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I have acquired a huge package of chicken breast to try my meal prep plan with

But I forgot to get different sauces to reheat them with throughout the week so I'll have to put it off until next week probably to start.

Also these Pyrex containers are a little shallow for a whole breast each but that works okay I can just cut each breast into strips after roasting them and put like 3 or 4oz of meat into each container and a big scoop of rice and some veggies. That'll make the big package last longer because it'll only take like 3 breasts or so to fill these 4 containers.

Then when it's time to reheat, preheat the oven and add some sauce and cover with foil and pop it in for like 15 minutes.

That's super easy.

• Options

remy-martin-tercet.jpg

Not a big cognac guy, but Tercet is an delicious exception. The fruity nature of it is closer to a good Calvados and I found myself loving it, despite my far greater preferences for armagnac.

Ah, you have leftovers after your last bunting?

• Options
    I'm going to do a food experiment

I'm going to try to mix up some pancake mix and a little Nutella and zap it in the microwave.

I'm pretty sure that part will work okayish? Should make sometimes edible and chocolatey.

The real experiment will be to try freezing said mixture and see if I can microwave it from frozen, because I have some plastic food storage containers with dividers as well and it might be nice to use the smaller compartment for something desserty.

• Options

remy-martin-tercet.jpg

I went through a big armagnac phase a few years ago because for some reason it was cheap as hell for a while. Why? Search me. But they were delicious, hazily recollected years.

• Options
    It is *wild* to me that I saw the word “armagnac” for the first time in my life last night while somehow ending up reading about how to prepare ortolan bunting and now you mfers are talking about drinking it

This discussion has been closed.