As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SEIGE ON!] Medieval 2: Total War, Succession Game

The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
Hail to thee honorable lords, I have come seeking those of noble blood who will help bring our modest nation out of obscurity and into unprecedented glory as we grind our enemies into dust through our brilliant military tactics, Machiavellian diplomacy and our faith and piety in the one true God!

What is Medieval 2: Total War?
Medieval2_cover.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_2_Total_War
Medieval II: Total War is the indirect sequel to 2002's Medieval: Total War, and the fourth game in the critically acclaimed Total War series from The Creative Assembly. The game is set between the years 1080 and 1530. Like the original Medieval, it focuses on medieval warfare, religion, and politics in Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East. However, unlike its predecessor, the timeframe stretches into the era of the historical discovery of the New World, and simulates the discovery and conquest of the Americas.
Gameplay is divided into two main parts:

a) Battle mode: Where you lead your armies in real time battle scenario against enemy forces

b) Campaign mode: Where you build up your cities and castles, train armies and agents, negotiate with rival kingdoms and to plan your future conquests. This mode is in turn based format.

What is a Succession Game?

The concept is simple, we all play the same faction. How this is done is by having players playing the game for a set amount of turns and then handing it over to the next player in line by sending the savefile to said player. Using file hosts such as send space or yousendit.

Also crucial to succession games, players must make a report about what happened during their "reign". Screenshots would definitely help (Press Print Screen, past in Paint and then use photobucket to upload images), perhaps 1 for every major event and a few filler so that we can see the progress of the kingdom. And it isn't necessary to make note of every single event that happened, just try to keep tabs on the comings and goings of the kingdom.

While typing out your report, try to have presentable grammar and spelling and while it isn't "required” an entertaining summary report is highly recommended. Even something simple as roleplaying in half assed ye old english as the king makes reading the reports 10 times better than just a list of events that has happened. It’s also important to communicate you’re intentions and goals to better help future rulers run the kingdom more smoothly.

Another important thing to note is that players will be of varying skills and play styles. Some folks prefer to stab their enemies in the back while others like to ride into battle with a giant battle axe. But that's the beauty of succession games, different "rulers" having different styles of ruling to make it seem more like an actual realistic kingdom. So just take it easy on players who might be new or have different play styles than yourself. That said, don’t hesitate at all to give advice and future goals and suggestions, we’ll need a long term vision if we want to survive out there.

One last point I’d like to mention is to try and be prompt with your playing and report. I realize that real life is far more important than a forum succession game and things may come up which could hamper your availability. Ideally 3-4 days for every player would be great but I think 5-7 wouldn’t be too much of a strain every once in a while. If you have any problems or difficulties, then feel free to pm me and we can just skip ahead to the next player.

What are the settings?
Campaign Length: Long
Difficulty: Hard
Turns per Reign: 15
Mods: None, just have MTW 2 vanilla, patched to 1.2. If this is actually successful we may consider allowing some mods but for now, let's just stick to vanilla.
Faction: Hungary

Why Hungary? Because it will be interesting and challenging, we have the elitist pricks of the Byzantium Empire to the southeast, the land hungry and warlike Reich and Poles to the north and the Venetian dicks to the west. And we will eventually come into contact with the biggest assholes of history, the Mongols. Make no mistake, we are in a tough spot and when one AI turns on you, it won't be long before the others try to take advantage of you. Alliances also apparently don’t mean shit.

All those man enough to bring Hungary to great glory, either pm me or just post here. This is a first come first serve basis, as I think it would be best to try and keep the number of players below the double digits.

Player List
The_Lightbringer
Thorpe
EF

LuciferSig.jpg
The_Lightbringer on

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I would do this.

If the game we were playing was the Poles. Because their cavalry will rape just about anything.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't have the game but I'm interested. I'll watch and support the thread.

rayofash on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So in, although I'm a little bit leary of Hungary. They're a bit... bland.

edit: I also can't start till the end of this week, thanks to exams.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Well, Hungary was chosen mostly because we're going to have to deal with multiple opponents and because of their relatively strong cavalry (Not polish ass raping strong but still pretty close) and guerrilla style units.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    EFEF Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've never played in a succession game before, but I'm always up for some MTW II. I'd definitely play if someone could walk me through the basics of sending and recieving the save files.

I've never played Hungary before -- they never really interested me that much. But I can deal with them.

EF on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It's really simple, just go into your mtw2 folder and go to saves and just upload the file onto a site such as yousendit.com

And when downloading a save, you just download from the website and put the file into the save folder.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Come on, i know there are some of you who are interested in this.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg