As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker: See you summer(?) 2024

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Current Stormblood discussion
    I tend not to dwell too much on the WoL's lack of agency. I'm pretty happy being an walking unbridled force of nature who is periodically aimed at The Bad by my companions. It works. Terrifying strength being tempered and guided by friendship winds up being a main theme of the overarching plot.

But that scene with Asahi, I was absolutely furious I had no agency, no choice to make. I am the most terrifying entity in this entire reality, plus several adjacent ones. There is absolutely no way that the WoL listens to that monologue and then walks away. That scene fuckin' sucks.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Re current stormblood topic

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    More on the Post SB patch content, I'm into 4.3 now
    Oh God, I didn't realize most of this MSQ stuff was gonna be revolving around Tsuyu. I wish it didn't

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I think it's worth doing one Relic Weapon to get the Tea Kettle.

Kettle Nexus is BiS glam.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Oh God, I didn't realize most of this MSQ stuff was gonna be revolving around Tsuyu. I wish it didn't
    Damn it, I knew it was going to happen, she was going to go back to being the evil woman. But I wish it hadn't happened so soon. And that jerkoff Asahi didn't get what he wanted.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Damn it, I knew it was going to happen, she was going to go back to being the evil woman. But I wish it hadn't happened so soon. And that jerkoff Asahi didn't get what he wanted.
    f10yslsjwhrd.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Current Stormblood discussion
    I tend not to dwell too much on the WoL's lack of agency. I'm pretty happy being an walking unbridled force of nature who is periodically aimed at The Bad by my companions. It works. Terrifying strength being tempered and guided by friendship winds up being a main theme of the overarching plot.

But that scene with Asahi, I was absolutely furious I had no agency, no choice to make. I am the most terrifying entity in this entire reality, plus several adjacent ones. There is absolutely no way that the WoL listens to that monologue and then walks away. That scene fuckin' sucks.
    Seriously, the only result of that absolutely unearned ballsy taunt should have been total annihilation.

You are a mid tier at BEST level diplomat.

I am a godslayer.

'Evryhting you are -- your power, even your face --- it vexes me.'

KBAI
    PoshWastefulBighornedsheep-size_restricted.gif

Just fuck off.

• Options
    hien is literally trying to manipulate the situation in real time to a position where he gets imprisoned members of his population back i think the wol can keep their cool

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    hien is literally trying to manipulate the situation in real time to a position where he gets imprisoned members of his population back i think the wol can keep their cool
    How important is a serf to the Garlean empire? Sorry your diplomat was a shit and he was originally one of our so, send a real Garlean to negotiate.

Asahi's position is so feeble, and he overplays his hand spectacularly and we just have to eat it.

It sucks.

• Options
    it literally works though. hien does successfully manipulate him and the situation into getting a bunch of doman civilians who were suffering back.

i also just like, don't think it would be very "cool" to kill asahi then? like he walks up to you, lowers his head, and then mumbles maniacally

the wol should be like "the fuck was that"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    it literally works though. hien does successfully manipulate him and the situation into getting a bunch of doman civilians who were suffering back.

i also just like, don't think it would be very "cool" to kill asahi then? like he walks up to you, lowers his head, and then mumbles maniacally

the wol should be like "the fuck was that"
    If the WoL.. well My WoL would have maybe not incinerated him but would have audibly said 'The FUCK you say, no no Ashai no again for everyone to hear THE FUCK YOU SAY?

We just go guh buh wuh and let it go, it feels so hollow.

I mean its fine I don't get a Shepard red interrupt to let him know hes working too hard, but its absolute shit the situation they present.

esiot: this is like./. the only part of the story that i dislike, evryhitng else is aces. Its just this little shit with nothing to back it up comes at you then get wasted and becomes the avatar of 'Da Jokah Baybee' and has a goddamn 5minute sadtimes cutscene when you kill hyim BEFORE you learn his Ancient backstory just..

https://youtu.be/NFNVXESyJrQ?t=15

Alexandier on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Yeah but you wouldn't be able to really line it up that perfectly every time, people load in at various rates and there can be a variable amount of time before the pull and how long it takes to get to the phase transition part.

Related to the music, though, this guitarist listens to the track for the first time and then improvises some riffs on the fly. Which he's also done for some other FFXIV tracks, I liked his guitar solo during On Blade's Edge too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YteOtkmLOh0

• Options
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Yeah but you wouldn't be able to really line it up that perfectly every time, people load in at various rates and there can be a variable amount of time before the pull and how long it takes to get to the phase transition part.

Related to the music, though, this guitarist listens to the track for the first time and then improvises some riffs on the fly. Which he's also done for some other FFXIV tracks, I liked his guitar solo during On Blade's Edge too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YteOtkmLOh0
    Well you'd just have to structure it so that there's two music transition points. Everyone loads in the music at different times to the computer and all that, but if the music always transitions to a prepped version that will sync up later at like 80% or whatever, done. It's wholly doable - it just wasn't what Soken wanted to do with the music on this tier, which is "riff on how the corrupted Ascian got the vocal track last time by giving both of the corrupted Ascians vocal tracks in this one, while the monster gets the instrumental again"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    (Almost) Finished 4.3
    The trial with Primal Yotsuyu was well done. The adds being named the things that basically made her what she became was a nice touch. Very sad moment when Gosetsu saw her body there.

Alphinaud is out of his GD mind and I was annoyed that neither of the 2 response options were "Are you out of your mind?!" but rather belief in him. Like, yeah, he's great, but this is dumb.

Then the last cutscene I just saw was the soldier killing another soldier in one hit and I felt like the Trade Federation guy. "This is getting out of hand! Now there are two of him!"

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    why doesn't warrioroflightman just kill the joker

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    why doesn't warrioroflightman just kill the joker

He doesn't have a loot table.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    A friend of Stephen Critchlow's started playing FFXIV to hear his work in the game.

i cry

(no spoilers in the link, but the linked video is the intro to Heavensward)

• Options
    Almost nothing in this game irritates me, but I think I finally found a pet peeve. If you super hardcore insist on being MT, that's cool, I dont really have a preference. But if I give you a generous window to build an enmity lead before hitting my stance, you better maintain the lead. If I have to shirk for you more than once when no one has died, then screw it. I am the MT now. Push more buttons.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I used to turn stance on after three globals. That was usually enough, but not always. Now I usually leave stance off until the first raid wide. Not a whole lot of normal, alliance, or trial fights have tank mechanics or busters before the first raid wide.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I just turn on stance after the opener, and then shirk the other tank on cd if I remember.

Only really tank in random trials/roulettes, so sometimes the random gear differences can make things weird.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I am so glad to just be DPS and only have to worry about sticking the bads with the pointy stick. The one sidequest (Post-SB 4.3/4 can't recall which MSQ)
    where you play as Alphinaud for an instanced battle
    had me feeling like a dang idiot and it was only 3 spells, 1 that heals.

Couldn't even imagine tanking. I mean yeah, hall of novice is there. I'll check it out maybe.

EDIT: I did also check out The Balance's guide for Dragoon play to get a general idea of how to play it for dungeons/etc since there's so many damn quests that require them

Goose! on
  • Options
    It only really bothers me if it's a person who is like EXTREMELY INSISTENT that they get MT. There have been a handful of folk who are really aggro weird about being MT.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    that's me. I'm the main tank. I'm in all the cutscenes

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    It only really bothers me if it's a person who is like EXTREMELY INSISTENT that they get MT. There have been a handful of folk who are really aggro weird about being MT.

My favorite is when there are 2-3 of these people in the same alliance roulette.

Always a fun time

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »

My favorite is when there are 2-3 of these people in the same alliance roulette.

Always a fun time

or when you think you're MT and then a third of the way into the fight another alliance's tank suddenly decides to throw on their stance and provoke even though they're standing with the rest of the raid behind the boss

Clear-the-eye.jpg

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I am so glad to just be DPS and only have to worry about sticking the bads with the pointy stick. The one sidequest (Post-SB 4.3/4 can't recall which MSQ)

Couldn't even imagine tanking. I mean yeah, hall of novice is there. I'll check it out maybe.

EDIT: I did also check out The Balance's guide for Dragoon play to get a general idea of how to play it for dungeons/etc since there's so many damn quests that require them

The secret of tanking that they'll never tell you is that it's actually the easiest job in all brands of content.

• Options
    A Tank is a DPS that stands in front of the boss instead of behind.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »

The secret of tanking that they'll never tell you is that it's actually the easiest job in all brands of content.

The only time tanking is hard is when you're pulling the highest level dungeons you have access to wall-to-wall. And even then it's less "hard" and more "if you don't press the right buttons in the first 5-10s of the pull you're dead unless your healer is a god."

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I actually think that making tanks so easy to play is a good move on their part since it also tends to be the most intimidating role so it probably convinces at least a few people who would otherwise be scared of it to do it anyway and drive down queues

Javen on
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I also think that a lot of people coming to this game from WoW are expecting tanks to have a similar level of responsibility as WoW tanks do in M+. Where they have to know the routes and which packs you can safely skip and which you need to fight.

Compared to FF, at least for the non-ARR dungeons, it's just a hallway that you go down and you have to kill everything anyways. The biggest thing with tanking in dungeons is just learning how to manage your cooldowns for big pulling.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    I actually think that making tanks so easy to play is a good move on their part since it also tends to be the most intimidating role so it probably convinces at least a few people who would otherwise be scared of it to do it anyway and drive down queues

Agreed. Tanking also has the most instant fail-state in pretty much all forms of content. You can stumble your way through most of your other roles dying in most situations, but losing one tank is very often a death sentence.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

The only time tanking is hard is when you're pulling the highest level dungeons you have access to wall-to-wall. And even then it's less "hard" and more "if you don't press the right buttons in the first 5-10s of the pull you're dead unless your healer is a god."

If you do that your healer is likely to be mentally cursing you out as you ruin their carefully planned budget of cooldowns. Also it'll help if the DPS can unload massive AoE with minimal warmup (Summoner is the king of this what with dropping Akh Morn+Deathflare in their opening GCDs)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    ph blake wrote: »

Always a fun time

or when you think you're MT and then a third of the way into the fight another alliance's tank suddenly decides to throw on their stance and provoke even though they're standing with the rest of the raid behind the boss

Clear-the-eye.jpg

And then someone in /a going "damn it tanks, figure this stuff out!" as if I can help it that some guy decides to hit the big shiny yellow button.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

Agreed. Tanking also has the most instant fail-state in pretty much all forms of content. You can stumble your way through most of your other roles dying in most situations, but losing one tank is very often a death sentence.
    Is it? In trials and raids (standard-difficulty ones, anyway) you have 2-3 tanks but only actually need one 95% of the time, so one of your two tanks dying is actually almost completely irrelevant.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    losing the healer is usually more important than losing a tank. especially in raid content where both healers can't do mechanics? forget about it

• Options
    Wyvern wrote: »

Is it? In trials and raids (standard-difficulty ones, anyway) you have 2-3 tanks but only actually need one 95% of the time, so one of your two tanks dying is actually almost completely irrelevant.

I have definitely been in raids where the OTs have been completely unprepared for the MT dying, and several DPS just evaporate before anyone regains a semblance of control. But those require like several people to dramatically fuck up in sequence and are generally more hilarious than annoying.

But yeah. Almost all normal content is really hard to fail. I used to be super nervous about healing and tanking, but for 90% of the content I do, tanking is a vacation.

Healing is occasionally nervewracking because sometimes you get an extremely undergeared tank who also wants to pull w2w. Healing for a struggling tank is pretty stressful. But tanking for a struggling healer is pretty breezy, you just pull a little less.

• Options

This is basically how my weekend went, thank you for asking

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

It's telling that they also have achievements with mount rewards for tanks and not other roles.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Tanking is hardest for me in the early dungeons, like 50 and below. Sure, your kit is limited compared to later in terms of defensive cooldowns, but the big thing is that I'm terrible at navigating 3D space and get lost like, all the time. Cutter's Cry is my personal hell

This discussion has been closed.