As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heartbreak feels good in a [Movie] thread like this

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Plus, like, don’t fuck with Christmas.

Someone's gotta

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I finally worked up the courage to watch Crimes of the Future. Classic Cronenberg: gross and upsetting but kind of amazing.
    Viggo did such a good job selling his...uh "pain" throughout the movie that I actually felt some legit emotion when he sheds a tear after finally eating some plastic and his stupid, wobbly skeleton chair settles down.

It was so stupid yet powerful that I got a little teary-eyed while also laughing pretty hard at the absurdity.

Hell of a thing

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Ah, dang, I slept on it and I don't think I liked Barbarian very much

Spoilers for the whole thing.
    I couldn't really buy into the intended tension of the first half of the movie, and that threw off the whole exercise, for me. Instead of the midpoint feeling like a radical shift, it felt more like... "What if that dynamite opener to Scream took half an hour instead of twelve minutes?"

That feeling of imbalance, of an intro overstaying its welcome, was compounded by Justin Long's half of the movie feeling undercooked and almost rote. The shape of his arc was satisfying, it was a good time to see him get his head popped, but it just... I dunno, it felt like I wasn't wondering what would happen next, I was waiting for the inevitable. And while there CAN be tension in the inevitable, I neither feared nor anticipated this particular inevitable outcome enough to justify how bored I was waiting for it.

As for why I couldn't buy into that first half, I just don't think the direction had a strong enough grasp on tone. The performances were a little too... Aware of what was coming next? I can't quite put my finger on it, but I felt like they were both just reading the lines.

Some fun cuts in the edit, I'll give it that at least

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I finally worked up the courage to watch Crimes of the Future. Classic Cronenberg: gross and upsetting but kind of amazing.
    Viggo did such a good job selling his...uh "pain" throughout the movie that I actually felt some legit emotion when he sheds a tear after finally eating some plastic and his stupid, wobbly skeleton chair settles down.

It was so stupid yet powerful that I got a little teary-eyed while also laughing pretty hard at the absurdity.

Hell of a thing

I've never heard of this film and that spoiler sounds bonkers

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    It has been long enough since reading the spoiler for barbarian that I think I've forgotten most of it. One day I'll be able to watch it!

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I think its easier to accept Die Hard because its the company versus an individual of large wealth. If only because in recent news Billionares have been fucking douche canoes and I'd support them getting robbed.

The bad guys in Die Hard start with callous murder and work their way up, but you take that out and move it into a slick "no one gets killed" heist then it'd be pretty easy to sympathize with Hans and company, even with the hostage taking.

Hell, you barely need to change anything to make John McClane look like a deranged psychopath. Now I have a machinegun. Ho ho ho

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    I think its easier to accept Die Hard because its the company versus an individual of large wealth. If only because in recent news Billionares have been fucking douche canoes and I'd support them getting robbed.

The bad guys in Die Hard start with callous murder and work their way up, but you take that out and move it into a slick "no one gets killed" heist then it'd be pretty easy to sympathize with Hans and company, even with the hostage taking.

Hell, you barely need to change anything to make John McClane look like a deranged psychopath. Now I have a machinegun. Ho ho ho

Well the thing about the Die Hard situation is that it's great at establishing the robbers as bad guys by making every part of their plan contingent on doing a bunch of murder, from their infiltration to the interrogations to the escape where they intend to blow up every hostage as a cover

Remove all of that and yeah, they're immediately more sympathetic! But those things are kind of baked into the structure of their whole robbery, so

There's a reason we like the Ocean's Eleven guys and dislike Hans Gruber's Fake Terrorists, and I would bet there's gonna be reasons to dislike John Leguizamo's Militarized Christmas Attack Squad too

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Decided to check out See How They Run yesterday afternoon.

It's definitely a comedy that's themed around a murder investigation, rather than a tightly constructed mystery, but it was a pretty good comedy, so overall I think it works. The nature of its plot is unfortunately directly comparing it to an Agatha Christie, which does hurt it, although if you're familiar with the plot of the Mousetrap there's some fun stuff there in the comparisons.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Decided to check out See How They Run yesterday afternoon.

It's definitely a comedy that's themed around a murder investigation, rather than a tightly constructed mystery, but it was a pretty good comedy, so overall I think it works. The nature of its plot is unfortunately directly comparing it to an Agatha Christie, which does hurt it, although if you're familiar with the plot of the Mousetrap there's some fun stuff there in the comparisons.

It almost feels like a "You didn't win!" strike at the Mousetrap movie contract stipulation

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »

Well the thing about the Die Hard situation is that it's great at establishing the robbers as bad guys by making every part of their plan contingent on doing a bunch of murder, from their infiltration to the interrogations to the escape where they intend to blow up every hostage as a cover

Remove all of that and yeah, they're immediately more sympathetic! But those things are kind of baked into the structure of their whole robbery, so

There's a reason we like the Ocean's Eleven guys and dislike Hans Gruber's Fake Terrorists, and I would bet there's gonna be reasons to dislike John Leguizamo's Militarized Christmas Attack Squad too

And the thing to remember is prior to the events of the film, Gruber is a terrorist already. Like he wants to cash out using terrorism, but its not like he was just a normal everyday bank robber caught up in one last job. He planned a job that intended to murder an office full of everyday people just trying to deal with a cheap company holding their christmas party at their unfinished office building.

McClane at the early parts of the movie just wanted to call in back up and hope that it got negotiated down. He first tried to call the fire department, and then the actual police "no fucking shit lady do you think I'm ordering a pizza!" He only as a character ever reverts to violence when the outside police can't get the job done and hans and crew keep coming after him.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Clue is a terrible game!

• Options
    Clue is a terrible game!

I always felt like I didn't properly understand the rules to it when I was a kid, but honestly that was pretty much every board game outside of monopoly for me as a kid.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Clue is a terrible game!

I liked Clue a bunch as a kid because I like doing the little logic puzzles that it engenders

But as a game it's very bad, the randomization element that the dice provide can completely override the entire design of the game

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    as a kid I liked Clue because the plastic that the game pieces were made of had a very satisfying sort of visual texture... like they were made of some kind of delicious candy. Especially Col. Mustard and Prof. Plum.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Watching Blockbuster on netflix. It's a pretty solid mid-tier Sitcom, but I do enjoy the setting. Sad we'll never get a second season because it's on netflix.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    We started Blockbuster and after about 15 minutes we just decided to start a rewatch of Santa Clarita Diet.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    We started Blockbuster and after about 15 minutes we just decided to start a rewatch of Santa Clarita Diet.

The dangerous sexuality of Timothy Olyphant wins again.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I will never not be mad at the way Santa Clarita Diet ended

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    A couple weeks ago --pertinent to whatever conversation-- I explained to my partner that Pride and Prejudice and Austen's work in general is a sharp, humorous assessment of the social restrictions of her time & examples of early feminist novels. He really liked The Favorite, and I commented on the similarities at the time, so I don't know what impression he held of Georgian / Victorian literature -- maybe stuffy romance or dry social drama.

Anyway, on a whim a couple nights ago, I watched the 2020 Emma because the 2005 Pride and Prejudice (neither of which I've seen) was behind a paywall. And I don't just think it's Baader Meinhof, but the algorithm is now floating Austen content at me. Yesterday, a quartet of professors were livestreaming a boozy chat about the 1995 P&P miniseries!
    https://youtu.be/OcUUiX50uxc
    Emma (2020): It's alright!

It's beautifully filmed, the cast is adequate to stellar, and there's some great humorous touches from background characters. I'm kinda tempted to watch it again now that I know the plot, and suspect I'll rate it higher after.

I don't know why I never got into Austen beyond Pride and Prejudice & Sense and Sensibility, despite my affection for both. But, a.f.a Emma, 'adventures of rich brat' is inherently less appealing as a premise. (And Clueless is right there.) Knowing me and my voracious reading then, it's entirely possible I sampled the rest and just noped out as too measured or otherwise unappealing at the time.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I played Clue recently and what I learned is that kids don't give a fuck how good clue is.

They show up for the pagentry.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The '95 Pride and Prejudice was absolutely iconic, I don't know if you saw it back in the day but I'd recommend it if you can get hold somehow. Being a miniseries, it has more time to devote to the non-Mr-Darcy side plots and lots of sweeping vistas and so forth.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yes thirded the 90s Pride and Prejudice series is a great adaptation, I don't even care for Jane Austen's works very much normally.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    I played Clue recently and what I learned is that kids don't give a fuck how good clue is.

Oh, the secret envelope and the ceremony around it? The tiny little weapons?

Yeah, that's fair, that shit all owns when you're a kid

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Oh yeah?

Let's see the game that YOU made during the Blitz.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Andor has been incredibly good so far, and it made me realize I never got around to watching Tony Gilroy's 2007 thriller, Michael Clayton, so I rented it the other night. Also excellent! It's probably fortunate I waited to see it, because I'm not sure that college Me would have appreciated it as much as I did this weekend.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

when learning the game the persistent question in my kid mind was "Ok but when do our pieces pick up the weapons and start fighting each other?"

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I'm afraid my cousins and I came up with a combat version of Clue when we were kids. Complete with damage rolls and ranged attacks based on the weapons you picked up. A particularly OP combination was the rope plus the lead pipe or candlestick, which would let you attack from three squares for 2+d6 damage. It was more or less the meteor mace from Kill Bill.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

when learning the game the persistent question in my kid mind was "Ok but when do our pieces pick up the weapons and start fighting each other?"

That happens while you sleep

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular

You can also sneak one of these bad boys in the envelope instead of the cards for extra fun at the end of the game

c63ocd4qfz2w.jpg

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'm afraid my cousins and I came up with a combat version of Clue when we were kids. Complete with damage rolls and ranged attacks based on the weapons you picked up. A particularly OP combination was the rope plus the lead pipe or candlestick, which would let you attack from three squares for 2+d6 damage. It was more or less the meteor mace from Kill Bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqt1RH29zdg

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Andor has been incredibly good so far, and it made me realize I never got around to watching Tony Gilroy's 2007 thriller, Michael Clayton, so I rented it the other night. Also excellent! It's probably fortunate I waited to see it, because I'm not sure that college Me would have appreciated it as much as I did this weekend.

I remain amused that The Gilroy from Ocean's 13 has no basis in fact and is simply named after the guy in a You're Our Boy, Blue kind of deal.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    tynic wrote: »
    The '95 Pride and Prejudice was absolutely iconic, I don't know if you saw it back in the day but I'd recommend it if you can get hold somehow. Being a miniseries, it has more time to devote to the non-Mr-Darcy side plots and lots of sweeping vistas and so forth.

Oh, I know how swoony Colin Firth is as Darcy. And (separately) the appeal of Alan Rickman as the Colonel....

When I was a kid (and I think it's still true), our public broadcast station had a lot of BBC shows, so I have real fondness for "Are You Being Served?" and other random British media.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    You've got to watch the P&P miniseries in order to really appreciate the depths of Mr. Wickham's villainy

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    The P&P miniseries is my wife's insomnia white noise, so she'd constantly put it on when she was sick, cramping, much of her pregnancies, stress, fatigue, Tuesday, or otherwise needing a comfort watch.

I can pretty much fall asleep/sleep through anything, so I didn't so much 'watch it' but rather mostly absorbed it piecemeal by osmosis, fragment by fragment, in a random jumbled order that slowly coalesced into a complete narrative through repetition and reinforcement.

You think by this point, 20+ years into our relationship, I'd have seen it all... and I probably have. But I thought that probably a decade ago, but then every few years I am surprised to see a new part of a scene for the first time ever. The gaps grow longer and more infrequent, with years in-between instances, but every time I thought I was done so far I've turned out to be wrong, so it remains entirely possible there's still a few bits of it I haven't caught yet.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Ah, yes. The well-known Pride and Prejudice Piecemeal Paradox. I think Fermi wrote a paper on that.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Yesterday I rewatched 1997's The Saint.

A fun movie, if a bit too long.

But I'll tell you what that movie showcases in spades: disguises

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    A couple weeks ago --pertinent to whatever conversation-- I explained to my partner that Pride and Prejudice and Austen's work in general is a sharp, humorous assessment of the social restrictions of her time & examples of early feminist novels. He really liked The Favorite, and I commented on the similarities at the time, so I don't know what impression he held of Georgian / Victorian literature -- maybe stuffy romance or dry social drama.

Anyway, on a whim a couple nights ago, I watched the 2020 Emma because the 2005 Pride and Prejudice (neither of which I've seen) was behind a paywall. And I don't just think it's Baader Meinhof, but the algorithm is now floating Austen content at me. Yesterday, a quartet of professors were livestreaming a boozy chat about the 1995 P&P miniseries!
    https://youtu.be/OcUUiX50uxc
    Emma (2020): It's alright!

It's beautifully filmed, the cast is adequate to stellar, and there's some great humorous touches from background characters. I'm kinda tempted to watch it again now that I know the plot, and suspect I'll rate it higher after.

I don't know why I never got into Austen beyond Pride and Prejudice & Sense and Sensibility, despite my affection for both. But, a.f.a Emma, 'adventures of rich brat' is inherently less appealing as a premise. (And Clueless is right there.) Knowing me and my voracious reading then, it's entirely possible I sampled the rest and just noped out as too measured or otherwise unappealing at the time.

Maybe try out Love & Friendship, for a pretty fun recent Austen adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MaSK3POHI0

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    or for a gay Pride & Prejudice adaptation, check out "Fire Island"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FzLCE_GnI

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Fishman wrote: »
    The P&P miniseries is my wife's insomnia white noise, so she'd constantly put it on when she was sick, cramping, much of her pregnancies, stress, fatigue, Tuesday, or otherwise needing a comfort watch.

I can pretty much fall asleep/sleep through anything, so I didn't so much 'watch it' but rather mostly absorbed it piecemeal by osmosis, fragment by fragment, in a random jumbled order that slowly coalesced into a complete narrative through repetition and reinforcement.

You think by this point, 20+ years into our relationship, I'd have seen it all... and I probably have. But I thought that probably a decade ago, but then every few years I am surprised to see a new part of a scene for the first time ever. The gaps grow longer and more infrequent, with years in-between instances, but every time I thought I was done so far I've turned out to be wrong, so it remains entirely possible there's still a few bits of it I haven't caught yet.

Have you listened to the... six? seven? more? part podcast where the Waypoint Crew did a deep-dive watch of the Pride and Prejudice miniseries?

It was on their media rewatch podcast Be Good And Rewatch It, and the fact that they spent so many episodes on it is probably why that podcast got canceled by management not long after

But where else are you going to hear about Austin Walker's P&P/Spiderverse cross over AU where Mr. Darcy and Peter B. Parker are dating?

DarkPrimus on
This discussion has been closed.