As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jobs] Workers of the world, quiet quit!

HefflingHeffling No PicEverRegistered User regular
edited December 2022 in Social Entropy++
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V75Qs-47MJw

It's that time for Heffling's OP of Emotional Dumping!

First up, the wife is doing great. The infection has been totally gone for a month now, and she's recently been feeling brave enough to go swimming. She's lost about 40 lbs since the surgery, and is continuing to slowly lose weight but is entering a plateau. It's finally dawned on her just how little she can eat, so she only makes herself sick about once a week now. She still has trouble with the idea that she can't eat faster to cram more in like she could before the surgery.

I've also started to lose weight again. I stopped for a long time at the ~220lb mark, but since her surgery I've been slowly losing weight. I was briefly sub-200 but that was when I had a stomach bug and was dehydrated. Right now I'm around 205, which considering I peaked at 305 is a huge improvement in 2 years. Recently the heartburn medicine Dexilant came out with a generic version. However, the generic is just about as expensive as the name brand, which just means that my insurance won't cover it. So I'm having to transition to another heartburn medicine and have been having constant heartburn for a week now. I have a doctor's appointment later this afternoon to discuss.

Work wise, from talking to the new engineering manager, I now understand the timeline of his hiring much better. They approached him originally last October, which was right after I was at my lowest point as the acting manager (which was aug/sept of that year). Because we move at a snail's pace to hire, it took until June for him to start.

Speaking of the manager, he just put in his two weeks notice! I expect that I will be asked to once again cover this role, except that this time I'm going to insist that this be accompanied by a promotion.

I cannot recall if I talked much about this here, but last May when my wife was in the hospital, my dad called me about his oldest dog, a 13-14 year old Great Pyrenees named Amber. She has had some health issues and her legs are starting to go out due to her age. My dad has bad ankles, so couldn't properly lift her or make sure she gets her meds even when she doesn't want them. So we agreed to take her. Amber has a strange growth on her rear, but the vet told us that as long as it doesn't seem to cause her any pain or interfere with her ability to use the restroom, we should just leave it as is.

When we got Amber, she weighed ~68 lbs (she should weight at a minimum 80 lbs). She was losing about 1 lb per week, despite everything we were doing to get her to eat. She's a picky eater who likes variety, so we now alternate chicken thighs, meatballs, hot dogs, and the like along with some of her dry food in a bit of broth (from cooking the meats). Usually once we get her started eating, she will finish the bowl or stop when she's full and not before, so the trick is just getting her started. She got down to about 60 lbs, but has stopped losing weight. We may even have gotten her to gain a bit of weight, but haven't felt like taking her to the vet to check (no charge, just lazy).

She also has had a thyroid condition for several years, and when we got her she had almost no undercoat and a very thin top coat. Now she has a full body of fur except around her back skirts, which I don't think will ever grow in.

When we first got Amber, she was in such rough shape we didn't even think we'd have her for 2 months. Now with good food, exercise (almost daily half mile walks), and regular medication and I wouldn't be surprised if we have her for another year.

*edit*

Grade school education is a huge part of the formative years of every poster we have in this thread, and we have all had some traumatic experience during that time of our life because it's simply impossible not to over a 12+ year period. That being said, we have several educators in this thread. If they share a bad job experience, please treat it like anyone else in the thread sharing a bad experience at work just to get it off of their chests. It's not an invitation to reminisce about a bad education or poor educator you had in the past. It's disheartening to them both personally and professionally when this happens.

If you want to share positive experiences in education, feel free.

Whippy on

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I've been covering this in the sysadmin thread since that's what I do but; I was laid off for the second time in my life last week after 8 years with a company, 6 months ago their entire infrastructure team quit except for me and I single handedly kept the company running for 2 months and now they fire me without cause so I'm a bit salty..

That being said 6 days after being laid off I have a new job that's paying significantly more for less hours and better benefits...

But my old company has an offer on the table for essentially 4 months salary for me to sign something saying I'll never say anything bad about them

And I really, really want to tell them to go fuck themselves but that's a decent chunk of change I could use to pay of all the debt I currently have.
    .but fuck those guys so much.

Ugh

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Awesomed for the new job and the potential payout from your old one, not for losing the old job. It sounds like you're going to be in a much better place.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    One thing to consider: at the rate it sounds like they're going, you might want to take the money while they still have any.
    Then, once they go out of business, you can bask in silent schadenfreude and offer a blandly-smug "no comment" (if it ever comes up again).

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    One thing to consider: at the rate it sounds like they're going, you might want to take the money while they still have any.
    Then, once they go out of business, you can bask in silent schadenfreude and offer a blandly-smug "no comment" (if it ever comes up again).

Yeah, you'll get the absolute last bit of cash they still have for promising something superficial and largely irrelevant.

Aldo on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    You can put a LOT of nuance in the phrase "I cannot comment on my previous job."

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    We have to work two job threads now?
    Thanks Obama Biden!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Fundraising right now is difficult. Keeping my company afloat is incredibly stressful, especially since very few people can actually know how precariously balanced we are on the knife’s edge. Just need to survive until 9/30 and things should be ok.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Wife twisted her ankle at work. Couldn't put any weight on it.

Pulled the red andon light to stop the line. Nobody came. So she pulled it again to restart the line and pulled the yellow instead. Took them five cars to show up.
    Absolutely angry about that.

So they call security and tone out a medrun.

Whoever is training these people since I've left is an idiot. They couldnt comprehend it was in the Paint2 building, so it took them forever to respond. And they forgot to bring the med bag.
    Rage. How tf do you do that? Literally step 1 is "grab med bag."

Eventually get to the clinic, get it checked out. She has to come in tomorrow for a followup. Isn't allowed to walk on it, so they call security again to drive her to her car.
    Security instead takes her to the turnstiles.
    To walk the rest of the way.

LITERALLY. ONE. JOB.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Thread title is wrong, I do not have a job.

I am a student. It's worse than having a job, because people tell me what to do and I don't get paid.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm in a good place right now, my job is great and I really like my co-workers. My mom is still slowly dying of lung cancer but she also is still smoking a pack a day and saying stupid and racist show so that's ok too.

My partner is...not in the best place. See I got her dream job. Not my exact position, but the company and client I work for, that was her goal. It's what she went to school to do, and I took it. I also now make about 3x as much as she does and do less work. I know she's not mad at me about it, but I know it makes her salty. And all her friends have had positive life events recently, and I know it's getting to her. I just wish I could help.

Other then that...Well I'm beginning to realize that my in person friends that I've known forever are either too busy to really ever talk, or actually suck and are bad friends. And the online friends I've made have their own lives and I feel guilty for wishing I could hang with them more. That's a brain quagmire.

Wait is this the emotions thread or the job thread?

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    We have to work two job threads now?
    Thanks Obama Biden!

And for no good reason either!

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What's with the pre emptive new threads?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This thread title is a farce!

My kids don’t have jobs! They just keep mooching off of me!

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

Gig thread economy

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Upcoming pay stub was processed, so I can see how this new job affects me.

... looks like I am getting approx. $200 more a paycheck after taxes and deductions. When the merit increase kicks in, that'll give me about another $80.

It's nothing to sneeze at, but... well, it is less than I was hoping for. I guess mentally I was hoping for around $500 more a paycheck. Grass is always greener, I guess.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Get a job?

What, so some other jerk can get rich off of stuff I do?

Pffrrrrt!

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Get a job?

What, so some other jerk can get rich off of stuff I do?

Pffrrrrt!

That's why you come work in public education; that way you get all the misery of going to work but absolutely nobody is getting rich off your labor.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    There are days where customers come and complain about the technology that you oversee and say "the system is being slow!" and it's very hard not to say "no, you are."

Because they are the ones making the mistakes, you see.

Today is one of those days.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Dang I just signed up for Hired because I heard about it on the Soft Skills Engineering podcast and it's actually great? I put in a resume and some extra shit and got 5 interview requests in less than a day. It lets you skip over that awful cover-letter writing phase and get to an actual person calling you up for a short intro call. Going to have a busy week next week, 7 interviews plus handing in a technical project.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Best time to make a job thread is when you already have one

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Interviewed Wednesday afternoon for a more permanent position than my current gig. Got the email this morning that I didn't get it.
    That was quick (which is both good and bad).

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Job interviews for 5 candidates today

pro is that my calendar is full so fuck doing other work
    con it is emotionally draining having to decide why people shouldn't get a job offer

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I've been covering this in the sysadmin thread since that's what I do but; I was laid off for the second time in my life last week after 8 years with a company, 6 months ago their entire infrastructure team quit except for me and I single handedly kept the company running for 2 months and now they fire me without cause so I'm a bit salty..

That being said 6 days after being laid off I have a new job that's paying significantly more for less hours and better benefits...

But my old company has an offer on the table for essentially 4 months salary for me to sign something saying I'll never say anything bad about them

And I really, really want to tell them to go fuck themselves but that's a decent chunk of change I could use to pay of all the debt I currently have.

Ugh

What in the fuck did they do?

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I decided I need some potato wedges to go with my lunch. Walked across the street to the grocery store. Deli counter had just dropped some and they'd be ready in a few minutes. Wandered the store and decided to ask the Pharmacy about setting up an appointment for the new Covid booster.

5 minutes later I had a shot and a couple minutes after that I had fresh potato wedges.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I've been having trouble sleeping, I don't know if it's anxiety or just frustration with my job and the grind.

All I can tell you is it's very hard to do a good job at work if you're not getting enough sleep, I make it about halfway through the day, and it's like everything falls apart.

I think what I'm doing has value and I do want to get better at it but I'm so tired of dealing with frustration with technology, learning on the job and fatigue.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    My big sister got a big promotion today! I won't say with branch, but she is officially Senior Executive Service for the federal government.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

Ugh

It's capitalism, man. They probably did some light genocide or child sweatshops, the usual.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »

Ugh

It's capitalism, man. They probably did some light genocide or child sweatshops, the usual.

It's only genocide if it happens in Genoa, Italy. Otherwise it's sparkling mass murder. (totally stolen joke, also in keeping with capitalism!)

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    My big sister got a big promotion today! I won't say with branch, but she is officially Senior Executive Service for the federal government.

That's awesome! Super congrats to them!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Set up my booster for Monday afternoon. Gonna walk to the health center next door, get the juice, then go home and eat leftover Irish stew and maybe go to bed early.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I have decided to post in this new, competitive thread. Today I have mostly been doing numerous minor repairs and avoiding being stabbed to death in a mental health institution. They have a wing for pregnant women, and it’s pretty harrowing stuff I’ll tell you.

Look after yourselves and each other folks.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Disrupting the thread making economy.

• Options
    Pet Peeve:

Super important person messages me, says something with a system I maintain (used to maintain, eventually) is not working. I verify it looks good. I ask for another test. I see that test process. I then hear nothing back from super important person for 10 minutes.

Well, better than being completely ghosted, I guess.

• Options
    I farted earlier and it smelled so bad I had to walk away from my desk for 15 minutes.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    I farted earlier and it smelled so bad I had to walk away from my desk for 15 minutes.

the most Silent but Deadly Quitting of All

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Oh no. Don't let the media starting thinking passing gas could be a cause of quiet quitting.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Quiet shitting

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    my job guidelines are unclear vis a returning to work after covid. it just says don't come if showing symptoms. the only symptom they list that I currently have is "no new loss of smell"

should i go in?

• Options
    No.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.