As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jobs] Workers of the world, quiet quit!

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Just reading some interesting educational materials:

7YeQmmk.jpg
    Ut6ovsT.jpg

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Companies that force people into the office for no other reason than "let's work together" will rapidly find themselves without tech workers.
    Other than dedicated planning or design activities, you don't need everyone there at once.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Not certain if this is the best place to ask this, but are there good resources for studying the kinds of technical questions you might get in an IT Help Desk interview? I just had my second interview since starting the job search and honestly feel like I came across as an idiot.

I doubt that there's one universal source, but if you just Google "IT helpdesk interview questions" you should get a good cross section of things to keep in mind.

My advice on the subject is:
    - There are some things I've been asked at almost every IT support interview I've ever had
    - The rest of the questions will depend on the specific expertise that the role is looking for.

The "almost always there" questions are:

- match port numbers to protocols. If you're able to memorize the port list required of a Network+ certification, you can use that list all the way up to level 3 engineer roles. It's not a guarantee that a desktop support role will be asked about these ports, but the basic ones do tend to get snuck in there somewhere. At the very least they'll be pretty excited if you know all the email protocols - SMTP (port 25) POP3 (port 110) and IMAP (port 143) - know the port for DNS, port 53, and know the port for HTTP, port 80. You'll be surprised at how impressed an interviewer will be if you know even this small set of ports.

- How would you troubleshoot a customer who can't connect to X (a website, the cloud software that you're servicing, an offsite database server, etc)? I think they use this because "I can't connect to..." can lead down a lot of paths, so they want to see how you eliminate the wrong paths. It also allows you to insert as many commands as you have memorized, so they get to see how deep your knowledge goes. This starts at the basic level of "Is the computer turned on? Can you connect to other things on the internet? Are you the only one in your office who can't connect, or is the whole office out? If it's the whole office, what lights does the router have?" Etc.

Basic commands and codes to know for this question:
    - ping, tracert/traceroute, ipconfig/ifconfig, route, nslookup. Be aware that 40X HTTP response is a client problem and 50X response is a server side error.

The "Depends on role" questions can be like this. I have done interviews for helpdesk before (over 15 years ago), so these are the ones I remember from that time:

- How would you troubleshoot a customer calling in because their PC is slow?
    - Have you ever built your own PC?
    - How do you boot a Windows computer into safe mode?

I believe that modern helpdesk has more questions about tablets and smart phones than they did back in the 2000s.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much. I just had my second ever interview for an IT job and honestly feel both really terrible and a bit ashamed about how it went. This was my first time having an interview with a pop quiz section and I got so nervous about how poorly I thought I was doing that I was just sitting there wanting desperately to leave and not even really caring about getting the job or not anymore. I don't want to be stuck unprepared like that again.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I see I'm not away from jobs that peo0le treat like dumping grounds for every idea of work they come up with.

Ahh, just have quality do it. Cool, I've got a 64 second process time, 45 seconds of process, 30 seconds of added processes, and 40 seconds of waiting for other people to finish so I can do my checks.

Best believe I get raked over the coals for missing something though.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Not certain if this is the best place to ask this, but are there good resources for studying the kinds of technical questions you might get in an IT Help Desk interview? I just had my second interview since starting the job search and honestly feel like I came across as an idiot.

I doubt that there's one universal source, but if you just Google "IT helpdesk interview questions" you should get a good cross section of things to keep in mind.

- There are some things I've been asked at almost every IT support interview I've ever had
    - The rest of the questions will depend on the specific expertise that the role is looking for.

- match port numbers to protocols. If you're able to memorize the port list required of a Network+ certification, you can use that list all the way up to level 3 engineer roles. It's not a guarantee that a desktop support role will be asked about these ports, but the basic ones do tend to get snuck in there somewhere. At the very least they'll be pretty excited if you know all the email protocols - SMTP (port 25) POP3 (port 110) and IMAP (port 143) - know the port for DNS, port 53, and know the port for HTTP, port 80. You'll be surprised at how impressed an interviewer will be if you know even this small set of ports.

- How would you troubleshoot a customer who can't connect to X (a website, the cloud software that you're servicing, an offsite database server, etc)? I think they use this because "I can't connect to..." can lead down a lot of paths, so they want to see how you eliminate the wrong paths. It also allows you to insert as many commands as you have memorized, so they get to see how deep your knowledge goes. This starts at the basic level of "Is the computer turned on? Can you connect to other things on the internet? Are you the only one in your office who can't connect, or is the whole office out? If it's the whole office, what lights does the router have?" Etc.

- ping, tracert/traceroute, ipconfig/ifconfig, route, nslookup. Be aware that 40X HTTP response is a client problem and 50X response is a server side error.

The "Depends on role" questions can be like this. I have done interviews for helpdesk before (over 15 years ago), so these are the ones I remember from that time:

I believe that modern helpdesk has more questions about tablets and smart phones than they did back in the 2000s.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much. I just had my second ever interview for an IT job and honestly feel both really terrible and a bit ashamed about how it went. This was my first time having an interview with a pop quiz section and I got so nervous about how poorly I thought I was doing that I was just sitting there wanting desperately to leave and not even really caring about getting the job or not anymore. I don't want to be stuck unprepared like that again.

It's unfortunate, but every IT interview requires you to have done some homework first. The more often you interview, the more you'll see what areas they want you to have memorized beforehand. I think it's pretty bullshit, especially if you have certifications or have been working in the industry for a few years, but everyone wants you to memorize things that you'd obviously just google when you're on the job and need to know them.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Having interviewed for many an IT tier 1 team, I will say the questions are almost always geared towards trying to see how you think about / approach a problem, and if you know enough very basic stuff to be able to communicate the ideas to someone who doesn't.

I had a section of one interview that was basically a vocab quiz, except they were less interested in if I knew what the acronym meant and more interested in if I could explain what it did in relatively non-technical terms.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options

Hope this helps.

It's unfortunate, but every IT interview requires you to have done some homework first. The more often you interview, the more you'll see what areas they want you to have memorized beforehand. I think it's pretty bullshit, especially if you have certifications or have been working in the industry for a few years, but everyone wants you to memorize things that you'd obviously just google when you're on the job and need to know them.

The interviewer at least seemed pretty nice and sociable. I kind feel bad for wasting his time.

• Options
    I pre-screened for an entry level networking analyst job and tanked. Literally did not know a single answer.

I have a(n Associate's) degree in Networking.

Don't feel too bad.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    My partner is a fifth grade teacher

"The kids in my class keep whispering sixty-nine to each other and giggling. They have no idea what it means but I have to keep getting on to them about it"

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    If I were interviewing for an IT job I would simply promise to look the other way on the hiring manager's internet usage. Simple as.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I’ve conducted a lot of interviews for what is essentially an upjumped IT support desk type job.

While I would ask questions to see like, yeah do they know what SSL is or whatever, overall I was way more interested in what was revealed about their troubleshooting approach and how they handled situations where they didn’t already know the answer. Because that’s the actual meat and potatoes of the job, as opposed to acronym trivia.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sigh it's hell working with Mensa
    At the start of the shift they announced we were getting a visit from regional to see if we are ready for the holiday season {we are not} Strangely I was put with two people. Greeted with a ton of freight. Went though that. They did not give me a printer until nearly 6am so I had two pallets of bin.
    Since they took away the shelves on the left in a petty act. It's been a game of dump the old freight to put away the new backstock. As for weeks since they took away the shelf I said why not put them back it's a mess of features, deleted and new items as well as the old freight. It would help organize it
    I have a feeling the store manager sent back the shelves or sold them.
    But again I worked myself to death as I was sore and tired when I left after 9am

I know we are not ready for the holiday season as years ago the district manager came with a cadre of people while talking with the managers {my not manager did not want me to talk to them nor did he inform me they were coming} As one of the people that came with disrict was the AP manager. He asked me questions of high dollar items and how they are handled. Then wandered off to talk to the store's AP manager
    As I saw her after break feverously flipping though a large binder trying to answer questions. He turned to me asking more questions in front of her
    The next day who was my real backroom manager praised me saying I impressed them.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I know we are not ready for the holiday season as years ago the district manager came with a cadre of people while talking with the managers {my not manager did not want me to talk to them nor did he inform me they were coming} As one of the people that came with disrict was the AP manager. He asked me questions of high dollar items and how they are handled. Then wandered off to talk to the store's AP manager
    As I saw her after break feverously flipping though a large binder trying to answer questions. He turned to me asking more questions in front of her
    The next day who was my real backroom manager praised me saying I impressed them.

this was the part I gave you an Awesome for.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    So like, they're ignoring my concerns and designing shit without my input. I'm the only engineer here. I don't know what the hell they're thinking.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I’ve conducted a lot of interviews for what is essentially an upjumped IT support desk type job.

While I would ask questions to see like, yeah do they know what SSL is or whatever, overall I was way more interested in what was revealed about their troubleshooting approach and how they handled situations where they didn’t already know the answer. Because that’s the actual meat and potatoes of the job, as opposed to acronym trivia.

There are definitely good interviewers out there, who know how to find talent without relying on the vocab quiz. In my experience those folks are pretty rare, though. Also, the "technical interview" tends to stand between you and the hiring manager interview. So if you fail the pop quiz, you never get to speak with team leader, no matter how quality they might be.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So today I left work early due to sickness.

We just finished the fourth week of school and a combination of COVID, the flu, a stomach bug, and the common cold have been devastating our staff team.

Today we had 28 staff members absent (10 being teachers).

This morning I listened to our office manager tell our principal she has completely exhausted her substitute coverage options, and she did so in the exact same tone as an engineer would yell about shields being down towards a starship captain in Star Trek.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Week is over, so that's my final day of morning shift done, onto nights next week.

Well I guess it's more like evenings since the hours are 2:00 - 22:30, but good fucking god am I looking forward to not dealing with rush hour traffic anymore

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    That same interview also asked my favorite question I've ever been asked in an interview.

"If there was one piece of technology or software that you could never work with again, what would it be and why?"

And without missing a beat I said, "Lotus. Notes " and they both started laughing and nodding.

I think that's how I bagged it, honestly.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Schools are friggin' petri dishes at the best of times.
    These are not the best of times.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    That same interview also asked my favorite question I've ever been asked in an interview.

"If there was one piece of technology or software that you could never work with again, what would it be and why?"

And without missing a beat I said, "Lotus. Notes " and they both started laughing and nodding.

I was asked that question at my last interview!

Almost before the interviewer finished the question I blurted out “PRINTERS” and all 4 people on the zoom laughed immediately and one of them said “Correct answer.”

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options

Almost before the interviewer finished the question I blurted out “PRINTERS” and all 4 people on the zoom laughed immediately and one of them said “Correct answer.”

Yeah printers are an easy go-to. It's cliche but more genuine

• Options

Yeah printers are an easy go-to. It's cliche but more genuine

Yeah, luckily we don’t fuck with Lotus notes here, but sprinters are a constant and dependable headache.

• Options
    When school started up here a week later I got really sick and I know it was due to skipping out on the flu for 3 years

• Options
    I pre-screened for an entry level networking analyst job and tanked. Literally did not know a single answer.

Don't feel too bad.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to have had experiences like this. It soured the rest of my day, tbh, but I need to learn how to get through unpleasant experiences like that without beating myself up over them.

• Options

Don't feel too bad.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to have had experiences like this. It soured the rest of my day, tbh, but I need to learn how to get through unpleasant experiences like that without beating myself up over them.

It's not even necessarily your fault, the job description might not have been accurate or just a bad fit

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    When I was still living in Japan a while back, a friend of mine set up an informal interview between me and their team manager for a potential community manager/localization gig at Square.

My Japanese was (and is) casual conversation level at best, but I was assured that most of the interview would be in English since most daily work was done in English, with maybe just a little Japanese to get a feel for exactly where I was at.

The entire interview ended up being in Japanese, complete with business-level honorifics and obscure industry terms that I could only barely guess at possible meanings by context.

Since then I've never really stressed about interviews too much because unless I just shit myself and die straight off the bat, I can't imagine an interview going worse than that.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options

Don't feel too bad.

The thing is, IT is a very very wide field of skills, even just the “help desk” segment of it could cover so many disciplines. I think just about everyone applying for an IT job has totally whiffed at least one interview where the stuff they were looking for was just perfectly misaligned with your skill set (myself included). It’s not at all an issue with you. No one can do everything.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I gotta get an interview first before I can whiff it. One step at a time

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Also if I haven't said it before, I am vastly underqualified for the job I got at Bungie. When I applied, I had a couple of basic CompTIA certs and some extremely unrelated and inapplicable industry experience (and also much older than the average applicant, for better or worse). I'm not quite three months in, and on a given day I could easily grab a ticket or five that involves a service, process, or concept that you would need at least a few months of experience with that subject alone to confidently address, and I'm just expected to figure it out (in a good way, so much support and patience here it's insane).

And while my certs got me my initial interview, the reason I was offered the job (this was explicitly told to me) was due to my attitude and approach to troubleshooting and high-pressure situations. I did about 8 hours total of interviewing (not that much, all told), which was a combination of "I can't connect to the internet, how fix?" scenarios to the standard "tell me about a time when you ____" to "describe the OSI model in as much detail as you can (and I'll know if you're BS'ing me)" to "how you would roll out an upgrade to Windows 11 to a company of 1k+ people, explain in as much detail as you can muster from whatever starting point you deem fit" not because they expected me to know all of that, but because they wanted to see how I reacted to situations I wasn't prepared for.

And I definitely didn't give great answers to everything, but I was able to talk through my thought process. And for a *good* company, I think that's the main thing - show that a) you can maintain your calm under pressure, and b) you have a process for trying to find the answer to a problem you don't already know.

(That being said, I can't believe how much smarter these folks that are anywhere from 5-20 years younger than me are, it's very demoralizing)

• Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    As I saw her after break feverously flipping though a large binder trying to answer questions. He turned to me asking more questions in front of her. The next day who was my real backroom manager praised me saying I impressed them.

Oh man I know this song and dance. At this point like a handful of people know how to manage anything relating to things like processing defectives and the ilk and the only managers I can trust to know are the ones who have been at my store for longer than I have, which is precisely two out of like a dozen-ish total managers. Its hard to blame the newcomers, its been generations of the blind leading the blind at this point.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/wvAnQqVJ3XQ

Have this stuck in my head now for some reason.

I still have a spotify playlist that is just mostly their songs. I don't think they're good but they definitely own a small corner of my mind.

What, TPOTUSA was a great band! Weird, catchy little songs of mostly nonsense, just vibes.

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    We have a couple of team days a week where everyone comes into the office and I think those are absolutely my favourite working days, and I think they're really important to the team's functionality as well. We tend to get through a lot of work on those days, though that's not to say we don't on other days.

Overall I think we'd be way worse off as fully remote than as hybrid.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I can feel my diastolic blood pressure getting back over 90 after a phone call or 3 with the new guy.

I don't want to sound sexist but a female human getting confronted by a male human security guard, my money is on the male having more combat potential

Nothing is on fire, you just have to remove one mentally ill human from the property. It's not that hard, just be patient and respectful and engaged them in conversation

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Call the place and let them know these are not Thieves but merely employees

OK now call them and tell them you don't need them over the homeless women.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Working on the last of nine annual evaluations. I think my filters are about to give out. "Does not allow the quality of their ideas to impede the free flow of communication to colleagues in departments across the system."

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

I still have a spotify playlist that is just mostly their songs. I don't think they're good but they definitely own a small corner of my mind.

What, TPOTUSA was a great band! Weird, catchy little songs of mostly nonsense, just vibes.

I mean, I still listen to them so I'm not going to argue too hard against this but...I saw them on Letterman I think once way back when their Lump/Peaches hits where big. They were fucking atrocious. My dumb no music knowing ass could tell they were fucking up massively. That would have been at the beginning of their career and all but it feels hard to say they were great. They felt like a hobby/beer band that managed to hit it big, which great for them! I'll continue to listen to them and enjoy the heck out of it but I suspect they aren't actually great musicians.

Even if I can recite all the lyrics to "Tiki God" off the top of my head.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=furq8lobb9I

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

I mean, I still listen to them so I'm not going to argue too hard against this but...I saw them on Letterman I think once way back when their Lump/Peaches hits where big. They were fucking atrocious. My dumb no music knowing ass could tell they were fucking up massively. That would have been at the beginning of their career and all but it feels hard to say they were great. They felt like a hobby/beer band that managed to hit it big, which great for them! I'll continue to listen to them and enjoy the heck out of it but I suspect they aren't actually great musicians.

I seem to remember them not being particularly concerned with being great musicians since I think it was them that played on a small drum kit, and only had 2 strings on the bass and 3 or 4 on the guitar.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    9wq7vrx1p40n.jpg

I had to do frozen by myself all 17 hours worth of freight
    I am exhausted and sore

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    My partner is a fifth grade teacher

"The kids in my class keep whispering sixty-nine to each other and giggling. They have no idea what it means but I have to keep getting on to them about it"

The other day I took a taxi whose registration number was 690069, and there was no one around to whom I could say, "Nice."

Tragedy.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Huh. I just applied to a position (always good to get the ol' resume updated) and was sent a link to a pymetrics assessment, which is a first. Now I'm torn between wanting to prepare as fully as possible to game the system or just... go for it and end up with probably a more honest assessment.

euj90n71sojo.png
This discussion has been closed.