Options

9-11 Never forget

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    if i had my druthers, i'd be able to take amtrak everywhere

though a little is lost with them no longer forcing you to meet strangers if you use the dining car

What?! They got rid of that?!

they did! and i hate it!!!

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I tend to get intrusive thoughts when in a high place near an edge of me falling to my death.

Planes I'm fine in though. I think it's the exposure. In a plane I'm in a sealed tube. No way am I gonna fall out that tiny window next to my seat so my brain is cool.

On a tall building near a railing though. No thanks, I'll just backup a few feet and admire the view from there.

Oh buddy I have bad news for you. Keep your seatbelt on.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

though a little is lost with them no longer forcing you to meet strangers if you use the dining car

Can you still hit the bar car at 10 am

• Options

Can you still hit the bar car at 10 am

oh absolutely

bar car is eternal

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    shit now i wanna take a train somewhere again

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I do not like roller coasters or water slides.

Jesus Christ you're so old.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Last night I had a dream where I had to cross a deep chasm on a very narrow, wobbly, wooden slat bridge, and I'm blaming this thread.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm pretty terrified of heights tbh

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I don't think there's any dining car in the Amtrak train I take up north every other weekend or so. There's a cafe car but there's nowhere to sit you just order your stuff, like a boxed lunch judging by what I see people carrying, then go back to your seat. It's not an interstate train though, just runs from San Diego to Goleta.

Madican on
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular

So, at least for the acela up the east coast, there's still cars with the table and group of 4 seats facing each other. So you could spend hours staring directly into a stranger's eyes until their soul, their very being unfolds in front of you and you make a connection outside of yourselves in a way you never thought possible.
    Or you can travel with two kids and it's like, a super convenient place to put their tablets and snacks and stuff.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Listen…my anxiety goes fucking nuts on rollercoasters and water slides. It’s not age!! It’s just mental illness!

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I feel real lucky to live in walking distance of an Amtrak station for one of the rare corridors of the country where train service is good

Too bad a lot of the people I actually have to go visit once or twice a year like my parents don't actually live on that rail corridor, though at least they're basically all within an 8-hour drive

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    From time to time I have to be up a few floors, like 6+ stories up, in a place where the floor is all open grated metal. So you can see straight down. It's kind of unpleasant. I have a hard time not imagining crashing through the floor

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    On Labor Day they close half the Mackinaw Bridge up in Northern Michigan and you can walk across it and it is very cool to walk over the grating section and look down at Lake Michigan below you.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Thro wrote: »

So, at least for the acela up the east coast, there's still cars with the table and group of 4 seats facing each other. So you could spend hours staring directly into a stranger's eyes until their soul, their very being unfolds in front of you and you make a connection outside of yourselves in a way you never thought possible.
    Or you can travel with two kids and it's like, a super convenient place to put their tablets and snacks and stuff.

But are you forced to eat a meal with strangers?

Cause that's the real joy of that experience

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I love them, but I've always been insanely nervous on water slides because I fear the momentum of my mass and the frictionless nature of the slide will send me up and over the slide embankment

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I love them, but I've always been insanely nervous on water slides because I fear the momentum of my mass and the frictionless nature of the slide will send me up and over the slide embankment

I was one of those kids trying to make that happen on purpose, harder to do than it seems, at least on purpose heh

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular

Nah it's like Madican said; you go to the café car, grab food and go back to your seat. Your new soulmate / inadvertent footsie companion may or may not do the same.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

aren't you into rock climbing? how does that work

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

I think you mean the worst thing in the fucking world. I don't want to ever interact with strangers, especially not having a meal. I don't want to make small talk with people I don't know, and I don't want to get to know them. This is why I'd rather just drive everywhere

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I got pretty good at controlling myself despite being scared out of my mind at times

As it happens I am starting a new block of work with a sports psychologist to push my ability in that area, it's pretty interesting stuff tbh. Helps in other parts of life too; I'm way better at controlling other negative emotions too these days

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    But don't you see

Zonugal is a stranger, and Zonugal wants to make small talk with you

• Options
    There are seats with a table between them, along with four seats without the table facing each other, but they're intended for groups/families traveling together and the conductors will absolutely kick you out of them to make room for them if you're not in that category

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    But don't you see

Zonugal is a stranger, and Zonugal wants to make small talk with you

My worst nightmare come true

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I like making small talk on trains

People often are very interesting

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2023
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Listen…my anxiety goes fucking nuts on rollercoasters and water slides. It’s not age!! It’s just mental illness!

You were born old I'm afraid
    Old as balls

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

I got pretty good at controlling myself despite being scared out of my mind at times

As it happens I am starting a new block of work with a sports psychologist to push my ability in that area, it's pretty interesting stuff tbh. Helps in other parts of life too; I'm way better at controlling other negative emotions too these days

I have only done a handful of proper outdoor routes but every time I had to stop halfway up and have a little cry.

• Options

I have only done a handful of proper outdoor routes but every time I had to stop halfway up and have a little cry.

It can be quite weird because on the one hand often you can feel scared but actually be quite safe, so in a real way its just a mental overreaction. But also sometimes you can be in quite a genuine bit of danger, and so you need to have the balance right of is this a legitimate fear coming from legitimate unsafe risk, or is this an overreaction, or am I actually not treating this as being as dangerous as it is? And either way you need to be able to control the fear and not panic... its definitely an interesting one

I've certainly been on a few climbs where to fall would mean death or at least life-changing injuries, like never walk again etc, and it's funny how much you can actually train someone in the ability to deal with that. But I'll be honest; I don't enjoy those climbs, I do those parts of them because there's something else about them that is appealing, but if I could get rid of the risk I would. For others it is different, they enjoy it.

• Options
    Mine were all completely risk free because I was second, I've only done one lead and that was this extremely short Baby's First Climb route and actually that one wasn't scary because it was in a crevice so I had rock either side of me and didn't feel exposed.

Bless my poor brother who had to sit at the top of every route we did and just wait for me to get my shit together and start moving again.

• Options
    Honestly that's a brilliant example because in the scenario where you were in objectively more dangerous you felt safer due to the perceived security of the climbing, whereas when you were objectively much safer you felt very scared due to the exposure

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Eating a meal with a stranger is a fun experience!

You get to learn their story! They get to share who they are, in a somewhat classier situation of a short meal.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Plus sometimes you each have someone in your life that you'd be genuinely better off with if they were dead, and a casual meal is a great time to talk that over.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    One of my top five conversations with a stranger ever occurred on a train, where a man who hunted bears with a bow and arrow confessed to being afraid of flying

You simply don't have those kinds of interactions in a car

• Options
    Eating a meal with a stranger is a fun experience!

You get to learn their story! They get to share who they are, in a somewhat classier situation of a short meal.

It's just like talking to the person next to you at the bar. It's usually pretty great although every once in a while you get a real shitbird, but generally its a fun time.

• Options
    talking to strangers will always rule

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Extroverts

• Options
    Strangers will just drop some wild ass information on you that you would not expect. It's great.

Best example of that I have is when I worked at Metro me and the other employee were both helping a customer and then the customers recognized each other because they had done time in jail together.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i carried a free dresser home from a block away and the guy who had it helped me and on the way he told me about all the drugs and alcohol he used to abuse

strangers: not even once

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    also i wore my INTROVERTED BUT WILLING TO DISCUSS CATS shirt to Canada and people excitedly took me up on it constantly. my bf laughed his ass off because every time it looked like i was holding a poo in my mouth

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    If you want to experience what security for air travel was like pre-9/11, get TSA Pre. It's included with a credit card I have now (there's only one airline that does direct from here to where my parents live, and the annual fee is less than two checked bags, so since my wife and I were regularly visiting it was basically a no-brainer).

You avoid the pervert tube and don't have to take your shoes off.