Options

9-11 Never forget

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    i carried a free dresser home from a block away and the guy who had it helped me and on the way he told me about all the drugs and alcohol he used to abuse

strangers: not even once

A stranger helped you carry a piece of furniture and that's your takeaway?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    i carried a free dresser home from a block away and the guy who had it helped me and on the way he told me about all the drugs and alcohol he used to abuse

the mom was going into a home and they were dumping all her stuff

the dresser was very light and i was able to hoist in on a shoulder but he insisted on coming with so he could tell his moving tale

as an introvert++ it was very upsetting but no sorry continue to judge me lacking in personal growth

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Extroverts

I am actually pretty introverted and find social interactions really draining, but also fun and interesting enough to be worth it

Lots of fun stuff is tiring/draining. Hiking, biking, fuckin', going anywhere, doing anything. So it's all about balance and rest, as with anything.

But anyway, yeah, you don't know always know somebody's deal without asking em!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My issue with most social interactions with strangers is less it being draining by being social and more it being draining because I'm having a panic attack the entire time and also trying to hide the fact I'm having a panic attack the entire time, which I can only best describe as feeling like putting a Mentos into Diet Coke and screwing on the lid.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Strangers will just drop some wild ass information on you that you would not expect. It's great.

Best example of that I have is when I worked at Metro me and the other employee were both helping a customer and then the customers recognized each other because they had done time in jail together.

My most favorite interaction with a stranger ever was just me holding the bar door open as she was exiting so that I could enter. She didn't even acknowledge me, just continued her very animated and very angry phone conversation.

Just one line. An angry, incredulous response to somebody on other end of the line. Loud enough that a good portion of the bar patrons near the door heard it and were also staring at her as she left. It was the sort of info that you don't typically share with strangers, but it was vague enough that we all we all had many questions that would forever be unanswered.

Other peoples' lives can be WILD

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular

the dresser was very light and i was able to hoist in on a shoulder but he insisted on coming with so he could tell his moving tale

as an introvert++ it was very upsetting but no sorry continue to judge me lacking in personal growth

okay i will

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    My issue with most social interactions with strangers is less it being draining by being social and more it being draining because I'm having a panic attack the entire time and also trying to hide the fact I'm having a panic attack the entire time, which I can only best describe as feeling like putting a Mentos into Diet Coke and screwing on the lid.

I think conversations about introversion/extroversion get fraught sometimes because the words' definitions have gotten really really broad and people can be talking about wildly different concepts with the ostensibly-same language

I always learned that introversion/extroversion is "has energy drained by social interactions/gains energy from social interactions." But some folks use the terms interchangeably with what feel like bigger, more extreme sentiments - like social anxiety for introversion, narcissism for extroversion.

Makes stuff tricky, makes concepts get diluted. Leads to weird sort of absolutism, sometimes? "No REAL introvert would ever ____." People getting prescriptivist instead of descriptive, people looking for ways to be Right instead of seeking to explain their own experiences.

I dunno, no grand point or thesis. Just seems to be a topic that gets people really heated really quick, basically every time

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    My fiancee applied to TSA Global Entry on like... 11/20 last year and got conditionally approved the next day, I applied on 11/21 and mine is still pending. I'm usually pretty sanguine about this stuff, but I'd like to share an email exchange that happened around the 8 month mark when I used the contact form:
    Thank you for contacting the CBP Traveler Communications Center.

Please review the information below and reply directly to this email if this general information does not resolve your inquiry.

We are currently experiencing high demand and processing volumes. Processing times vary by applicant, but on average you can expect your application to be processed as follows:
    • GE: up to 11 months
    • NEXUS: 18-20 months
    • SENTRI: 16-18 months

These are average times. Unfortunately, we cannot anticipate a date of completion for your specific application at this time.

All applicants should check the Trusted Traveler Program website (https://ttp.dhs.gov/) periodically for updates or status of their application.

Additionally, If you submit a renewal application before your membership expires, you will be able to continue to use benefits after your membership expiration date. We recommend that you print out a copy of your pending renewal to show the Customs and Border Protection Officer, if requested.
    So Global Entry wait times are "up to 11 months", but also "these are average times". Does that mean that the upper bound is 22 months? A program with a 5 year duration could take almost 2 years just to get approved and there's no visibility into this process? Please provide some kind of actionable information.
    Thank you for contacting the CBP Traveler Communications Center.

Due to an increase in the popularity of the Trusted Traveler Programs, we are currently experiencing delays in processing times for both new and renewal applications. At present, average processing times are as follows:

• GE: up to 11 months

However, these estimates are subject to frequent revisions, as new data becomes available. We are aware that this is an inconvenience for many applicants and are working to improve processing times.

Because the processing times reflect average timing, it is expected that some applications will take longer.

Please note that if your application has been escalated, it merely ensures that your application has been routed correctly. Applications cannot be expedited. Please continue to check your TTP dashboard for status updates.

So, in summary: Thank you for the $100 application fee, get fucked, no there's nothing you can do

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2023
    huh I've never heard narcissism used interchangeably with extroversion, that one doesn't make sense to me like introversion being similar to or synonymous with social anxiety

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’m an introvert that desperately wants to be an extrovert.

It’s been a lifelong process. When I was younger I didn’t speak at all in social situations but as I’ve gotten older and more medicated I can hold a conversation.

My problem is, if you talk slow, my ADHD brain kicks in I have to make an effort to not cut you off once I know where your story is going.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm an introvert in that left to my own devices I will just stay in and do my own thing and I'm pretty happy not interacting with people for extended periods of time, but also if I do go to a party I will want to close that shit down. The duality of man.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I think conversations about introversion/extroversion get fraught sometimes because the words' definitions have gotten really really broad and people can be talking about wildly different concepts with the ostensibly-same language

I always learned that introversion/extroversion is "has energy drained by social interactions/gains energy from social interactions." But some folks use the terms interchangeably with what feel like bigger, more extreme sentiments - like social anxiety for introversion, narcissism for extroversion.

Makes stuff tricky, makes concepts get diluted. Leads to weird sort of absolutism, sometimes? "No REAL introvert would ever ____." People getting prescriptivist instead of descriptive, people looking for ways to be Right instead of seeking to explain their own experiences.

I dunno, no grand point or thesis. Just seems to be a topic that gets people really heated really quick, basically every time

I got social anxiety and narcissism, what does that make me?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

A Podcaster

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Much like everything regarding personal human experience there's a broad spectrum that strains against the two singular labels of introvert and extrovert with their potential comorbidities

Madican on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

A cat

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean, it's a little less black and white than these debates tend to go

I am extremely extroverted in that like - I love parties, I love building relationships with strangers and meeting people, I love finding out how other people work, I often feel better after spending time socially with friends and have more energy than less (even when hungover)

But I also need recharge time, I am not as direct with some folks socially when flying solo because well, dudes can be weird about it and make things uncomfortable if you're at a bar or whatnot, and I hate being bothered when I am working on something or in a train of thought when I would rather go full hermit mode, and thus I am always flipping back and forth between extro/intro mode at the office in a way that might be a little confusing to colleagues, really

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options

okay i will

you would be correct then!

• Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    I'm an introvert in that left to my own devices I will just stay in and do my own thing and I'm pretty happy not interacting with people for extended periods of time, but also if I do go to a party I will want to close that shit down. The duality of man.

at parties i'm absolutely the dude looking at the bookshelf or in the basement with the pets wishing like hell to just be home

i'm a super downer

• Options
    edited September 2023

Yeah, like when PAX South was still a thing I didn't know anybody there but I still had a good time hanging out in the evening hours playing boardgames and such. For whatever reason a group thing doesn't trigger my anxiety like a solo interaction does. Especially when I had the option of leaving to do my own thing at any point, I wasn't "stuck" whether through physical limitations or social obligations.

I was never joking when I said that was literally my only real social interaction every year.

Madican on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I just need people who speak and process as fast as me or I probably come off as rude

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I love being around lots of people, as long as none of them look at me or interact with me

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    If someone ever did want to have a conversation with me though, and I don't know them well, all they have to do is initiate it. I'm a weird kind of broken where I won't start talking on my own but I will feel compelled to keep talking so long as I perceive a conversation is going lest I come across as rude, even if I really don't want to volunteer the information being asked.

Couple that with my desire to be helpful AND my desire to be clearly understood (meaning constant attempts to clarify if I think I'm being misunderstood) and you have someone who doesn't know when to shut up.

This works in person or through text, though at least with text I can sometimes yank words back.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

at parties i'm absolutely the dude looking at the bookshelf or in the basement with the pets wishing like hell to just be home

i'm a super downer

I am the person going around talking to every single person, connecting them if I can on mutual interests so they can talk, or introducing new folks in a way where they can get the flow of conversation and feel welcome

Parties are just my element, I love 'em to bits, especially if we can tie a silly theme in there somewhere and make them fun or creative in some way

I was always like this, fuckin, playing the Sims as a kid my true aim was always building a cool house and throwing a huge party and then quitting for a year or so after

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »

i'm a super downer

I am the person going around talking to every single person, connecting them if I can on mutual interests so they can talk, or introducing new folks in a way where they can get the flow of conversation and feel welcome

Parties are just my element, I love 'em to bits, especially if we can tie a silly theme in there somewhere and make them fun or creative in some way

I was always like this, fuckin, playing the Sims as a kid my true aim was always building a cool house and throwing a huge party and then quitting for a year or so after

my nemesis

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I find that when a stranger starts talking to me, like 50% of the time they start rambling about some abhorrent shit like "can you believe how bullshit the covid masking / vaccines / (insert sensible policy here) were?!" or "man I hate trudeau we need those conservatives to win" or something even worse

I'm just real burned out on people like that

• Options
    Honestly I'm happiest when I can listen more than talk. Someone wants to tell me a story or vent I can just listen, I don't need to speak. They can tell me all the interesting things they do/did and I might inquire for further details but it's not like I have anything interesting to say so I just listen for the most part.

This also goes for if they aren't talking to me, I may not look like I'm paying attention but if there's a conversation happening in my earshot you can bet I'm listening and picking out interesting details, not just in topics but cadence, word choices, emotions, etc. Things I don't have much experience in myself that I can potentially apply.

I'm told this kind of passive observation and application behavior is relatively common in particular neurodivergent labels. Which, fair.

• Options
    without extroverts we would have neither spring break nor beach volleyball.

introverts would never allow spring break to exist if they had their way.

7656367.jpg
  • Options

damn right

• Options
    spring break! the holiest of holidays!!

7656367.jpg
  • Options

I don't hate beach volleyball because I'm introverted, I hate beach volleyball because I am ginger and white and thus the sun is my mortal enemy

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I hate Spring Break!

They make me leave school when it happens!

You know how much I'm paying to be here in school?

I'm never going to learn anything at Daytona Beach!

• Options
    spring break! the holiest of holidays!!

CANCELLED

i'll permit beach volleyball because we all love bouncy titties but no cheering

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I hate Spring Break!

They make me leave school when it happens!

You know how much I'm paying to be here in school?

I'm never going to learn anything at Daytona Beach!

i will grade you on daytona beach so you will learn stuff

after reviewing the footage you get an f

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    my social anxiety makes it incredibly difficult to start conversations with strangers

but i will absolutely put in the effort to maintain a conversation if someone starts one or pulls me into one; draining to me but well worth it vs being a passive listener only

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    What was this thread about? I forgot.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I can only talk to people when I can also freely disappear at the drop of a hat and nobody realizes it or really cares

Oh ho ho I get extremely lonely but I'll be god damned if I'm going to approach people I don't know, and can't immediately send to the old memory pit where things cease to be

Mostly because whenever I've tried to talk to people my lack of confidence can lead me to make lots of small talk and avoid any serious subjects (because talking about serious things leads to people misunderstanding me and hurt feelings one way or another) and coming off as aloof or uncaring

So anyway that's why I hide in my home pretty much 24/7 and feel like a cave monster incapable of connection with humans.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    What was this thread about? I forgot.

its about rescue 911 starring william shatner

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Starting up a conversation with a stranger is acceptable on a night out, and makes you seem suspicious any other time.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    It's easy to start up a conversation with random folks once you get a bit of practice in.

Here's a good icebreaker for beginners:

"Hey, buddy! What's your fricken problem??! Eh?!!?"

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    One of my favorite forms of interacting with strangers is when I'm at a bar and the bartender puts a movie on (with the sound off), and we're all commenting and cracking jokes and trading trivia about it as we drink and watch.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg