As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I wonder if they actually had having Martinet do some readings, and it just didn't work. His Mario voice, as is, is a fantastic sound effect voice but would be nightmarish for extended dialog. And maybe they had him tone down the accent and it still didn't work. Because everybody knows what Mario is supposed to sound like, it'd just sound like Mario but wrong. The man has done other work and voices, he can proper act. Just that there's no way to do this specific voice without it coming out weird.

Or maybe it's just corporate bullshit. I'm still remembering the Ratchet and Clank movie poster, where the goddamn title character actors are literally 6th and 7th billing. But it's starring Rosario Dawson and Sylvester Stallone at least!

Thank you. That's what I've been wanting to know, for the reasons I wanted to know it.
    That wasn't enough to justify a direct.

It was tied in to the panel at New York Comic Con, which is likely why it had the peculiar start time of 4:05, rather than 4:00. (Incidentally, I wonder how deliberate it was that it ended just before 4:20...)

If Nintendo hadn't done that, people would be leaking shaky-cam footage of it all over the internet anyway, so they just got out in front of it. It was probably the smart play.

Incidentally, speaking of shaky-cam footage from the NYCC panel...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    MNC DoverKoopahTroopahShadowfire
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Watch it in Italian for the authentic experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khzf9KBYTDw

NaphtaliAbsoluteZeroMNC DoverLordSolarMachariusBahamutZEROKoopahTroopah
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Honestly I don't know what else I would want from Mario's voice for a movie.

Set aside Chris Pratt for a second. You don't want Martinet squeaking around for 2 hours. You don't want a racist Italian accent for 2 hours. Mario should probably sound like "just some guy." At that point you're just dithering over which "some guy" ought to play him. RDJ? Rob McElhenney? Aziz Ansari? I don't know. Pratt will probably be as fine as anyone else would be.

I mean you could cast someone with a genuine Italian accent? They do exist.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    DrascinBahamutZERO
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Set aside Chris Pratt for a second. You don't want Martinet squeaking around for 2 hours. You don't want a racist Italian accent for 2 hours. Mario should probably sound like "just some guy." At that point you're just dithering over which "some guy" ought to play him. RDJ? Rob McElhenney? Aziz Ansari? I don't know. Pratt will probably be as fine as anyone else would be.

whaaaaat!?

rahkeesh2000
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    what if

and work with me here

we cast professional voice actors in an animated film instead of just lassoing regular actors, every time

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Endless_SerpentsAbsoluteZeroel_vicioMNC DoverAvalonGuardMrBlarneyrahkeesh2000BahamutZEROKoopahTroopahShadowfirehemmelightDarth_MogsMcFodderOldSlackerPhoenix-DJonBobLucedesIceBurnerNobeard
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2022

Or, heck, even an actual italian guy. There's this place south from Germany where there's a lot of those, and some are even voice actors!

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    BahamutZERO
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    When I was a kid the Mario 3/World voice was all we had for Mario and at the time I thought it was perfect. I really didn't like the "Mickey Mouse" squeaky voice we got in Mario 64 and it took ages to accept it.

Actually the Brooklyn accent from Bob Hoskins was one of the better parts of the Mario movie.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Warlock82Alphagaia
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It is kindof weird to me that Bowser would be Jack Black. I mean, how many cock push-ups can Bowser even do?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, I didn't come up with that on my own but yeah, I watched a hyper-analyzation of it from Mattpat.

That was one of his significant proofs to back up the fact it would be an origin story. That the character was forman spike after there was the icon from the NES game.

The guess was some kind of references to Wrecking Crew, into some Donkey Kong stuff, into falling into the Mushroom Kingdom somehow. Then he becomes Super Mario.

Also I saw some opinions that Prat was going for more of a "Mario Super Show" Mario voice, and I can definitely see that. Would likely sound like it fits way better in the before Mushroom Kingdom scenes.

Also can't help but notice the design for Mario seems to be some definite compromise between "real person" and "identifiably Mario"

Yeah I saw that too. I agree with a lot of his points (other than the overalls, he clearly already had them in the teaser :P). I'll be very curious to see if they put him in New York City or New Donk City at the beginning. I still don't know if New Donk is like a retcon of the original New York stuff. That said, Donkey Kong 93 also legit shows Mario, DK and Pauline falling into the Mushroom Kingdom at the end so I assume that's the canon they're going off.

And yeah, from the start I was expecting something closer to the Super Mario Super Show for Mario's voice and that's basically exactly what this is. I grew up with that cartoon so this voice honestly isn't that strange to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they used that show as a little bit of inspiration for "Mario voice that doesn't get grating over an entire movie."

Also, Jack Black freaking killed it. Honestly all the voice cast we heard in the teaser was really good. Loved Toad, loved the little yelps we got of Luigi, loved Kamek, etc. I really, really wanna see Peach now tho. I was a bit sad she wasn't in the teaser at all. I hope they don't wait too long for another trailer.

It's kinda crazy but I'm like super hyped for this movie now...
    It's a Hollywood movie with an actual budget. There is no world where they even entertained Martinet over top-tier actors if they can afford the latter.

Honestly I was thinking about this last night too. I wonder if using Martinet was just difficult in general due to union stuff like SAG (unless he's somehow a member? I know he's done other voice work but it might be exclusive to games). More cameo type roles are probably ok (I think I recall hearing you can get like a temporary membership/pass for this kind of stuff) but I bet they wouldn't allow a non-SAG voice actor as lead. This is aside from the other reasons why Martinet wouldn't work over an entire movie :P

Edit:
    That wasn't enough to justify a direct.

Honestly I thought it was fine. Nintendo has sort of classified Direct as "video where we present stuff" at this point. They wanted to have an intro to the trailer itself so that's why they called it a Direct. I feel like they'd done this kind of thing before too (very short Direct focused on one thing).

Edit: Oh, and forgot to mention:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzeJAuTmWlo

I swear to god, Jack Black's Bowser sounds exactly like a less bad version of his Sunshine voice.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    It is kindof weird to me that Bowser would be Jack Black. I mean, how many cock push-ups can Bowser even do?

I'm sure R34 has answered that question before

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    AbsoluteZeroBahamutZEROShadowfireLucedes
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

I only just watched this and one thing sticks out to me.

I don't understand a lick of French or Italian. But the timing and inflection were almost identical for all 3. There is definitely a specificity to how hes talking here.

I honestly think Prat is doing the Mario voice they wanted for this. I still strongly think the intention of this movie is not "cartoon yahoo jump jump" Mario and more "normal guy ends up in a new world and grows into a hero" Mario. The latter obviously being what a big, actually successful box office movie would do.

The references will be in the details, but the movie itself will be.... a normal movie.

Warlock82rahkeesh2000Shadowfiredipuc4life
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

one

that's all you need

AbsoluteZeroFryDarth_Mogs
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    what if

and work with me here

we cast professional voice actors in an animated film instead of just lassoing regular actors, every time

Yes this! And I'm available for the inevitable Super Mario Movie 2!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    AbsoluteZerophysi_marcMrBlarneyTalithKoopahTroopahShadowfire
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I just want to hear Charlie Day's Luigi.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    XaquinCrippl3Darth_Mogs
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

I only just watched this and one thing sticks out to me.

I don't understand a lick of French or Italian. But the timing and inflection were almost identical for all 3. There is definitely a specificity to how hes talking here.

I honestly think Prat is doing the Mario voice they wanted for this. I still strongly think the intention of this movie is not "cartoon yahoo jump jump" Mario and more "normal guy ends up in a new world and grows into a hero" Mario. The latter obviously being what a big, actually successful box office movie would do.

The references will be in the details, but the movie itself will be.... a normal movie.

It's an animation thing. Studios will sometimes redo the lip flaps for different languages, but that's about all they'll change - anything else is far too expensive.

So yes, Pratt is definitely the base for the global movie. Same for the rest of the English cast.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Trailer wasn't bad! I figured Chris Pratt was going to be "transported" into the Mario world. At least that's what it feels like.

I'm still kind of surprised that the siren's call of multi-picture film franchise profit possibilities was strong enough to get Nintendo to greenlight this. And for something this high-budgeted.

That's probably just reflecting me not closely following Nintendo's own interest in other media over the last decade or more. Mario was in Wreck it Ralph after all. I probably shouldn't be that surprised that this is happening right now, when a lot of corporations are finding this an extremely lucrative prospect (the Uncharted film, television series for The Last of Us and Halo, OVAs for Dead Space, Mass Effect, and then Cyberpunk 2077). There's no reason Nintendo wouldn't be considering the same thing, and a feature length film is probably the most obvious way to do it.

(Pour one out for ol' Bobby Hoskins and Dennis Hopper.)

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022

If you search Bowser on Twitter or FurAffinity you can find pictures and videos that can help answer your question.

Crippl3 on
    Lucedes
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

Or, heck, even an actual italian guy. There's this place south from Germany where there's a lot of those, and some are even voice actors!

I never got the impression that the Mario Brothers were Italian Italian. More like a couple of guys in New York whose grandparents or great-grandparents came over from Italy. And considering how watered down the accent has gotten amongst actual New Yorkers, an over-the-top accent is just kind of ridiculous. I know the irony in not wanting something ridiculous in a movie that also features talking mushrooms, but I think this more subtle accent is the right approach.

MNC DoverCruorskeldaredipuc4lifeLucedesNobeard
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Trailer wasn't bad! I figured Chris Pratt was going to be "transported" into the Mario world. At least that's what it feels like.

I'm still kind of surprised that the siren's call of multi-picture film franchise profit possibilities was strong enough to get Nintendo to greenlight this. And for something this high-budgeted.

That's probably just reflecting me not closely following Nintendo's own interest in other media over the last decade or more. Mario was in Wreck it Ralph after all. I probably shouldn't be that surprised that this is happening right now, when a lot of corporations are finding this an extremely lucrative prospect (the Uncharted film, television series for The Last of Us and Halo, OVAs for Dead Space, Mass Effect, and then Cyberpunk 2077). There's no reason Nintendo wouldn't be considering the same thing, and a feature length film is probably the most obvious way to do it.

They've made an initiative to branch their franchises out into other media for awhile now. But from what I understand their experience with the original Super Mario Bros movie scared them off on doing any of this sooner. At one point they did have a Zelda netflix series and some kind of claymation Star Fox show in the works but someone leaked that and Nintendo freaked out and cancelled all those projects. Otherwise I think we might have been seeing some of this sooner

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    rahkeesh2000
  • Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Quick chime in to say: yes, kinda silly they couldn't get an Italian actor to do Mario.

But Arin Hanson for Toad or I walk.

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

it's noteworthy how only one of those game adaptation projects that has actually come out was actually good (cyberpunk's anime)

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    what if

and work with me here

Yes this! And I'm available for the inevitable Super Mario Movie 2!

And the inevitable stories about it being a different movie that was localised as a Mario movie.
    But Arin Hanson for Toad or I walk.

Oh jesus, just walk.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
    SatanIsMyMotorShadowfireJonBobKoopahTroopah
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

it's noteworthy how only one of those game adaptation projects that has actually come out was actually good (cyberpunk's anime)

I think it’s much easier to give a world’s general premise to a writer and animation team than directly translating a game’s story. I mean, Cyberpunk the game is just the base premise of Cyberpunk the genre anyways.

BahamutZERO
    Warlock82 wrote: »

They've made an initiative to branch their franchises out into other media for awhile now. But from what I understand their experience with the original Super Mario Bros movie scared them off on doing any of this sooner. At one point they did have a Zelda netflix series and some kind of claymation Star Fox show in the works but someone leaked that and Nintendo freaked out and cancelled all those projects. Otherwise I think we might have been seeing some of this sooner

I was a little surprised to find there hadn't been a Super Mario Brothers television program in thirty years (effectively, the counterpart to the release of Super Mario World). The Hoskins/Hopper film was the year after that. So I guess it really could be as simple as that. There are other Nintendo projects that have very obviously been reproduced in film and television (most obvious, Pokemon), and none of that seems surprising, so it really was Mario that caught me unawares.

Warlock82

I think it’s much easier to give a world’s general premise to a writer and animation team than directly translating a game’s story. I mean, Cyberpunk the game is just the base premise of Cyberpunk the genre anyways.

Right, I think in this case the general lack of story in most Mario games will work to this movie's advantage. The Sonic movies more or less ignored all the increasingly batshit Sonic lore, and they were all the better for that.

Endless_Serpents
    edited October 2022

I was a little surprised to find there hadn't been a Super Mario Brothers television program in thirty years (effectively, the counterpart to the release of Super Mario World). The Hoskins/Hopper film was the year after that. So I guess it really could be as simple as that. There are other Nintendo projects that have very obviously been reproduced in film and television (most obvious, Pokemon), and none of that seems surprising, so it really was Mario that caught me unawares.

I don't remember where I heard it (Did You Know Gaming maybe) but yeah, I think the SMB Movie scaring them off was confirmed to actually be true. The other stuff definitely comes from DYKG and I forgot to mention the Metroid movie we never got because of that shit (another very real project that got cancelled).

I imagine all of that paranoia goes back to the SMB Movie. I think Pokemon and Kirby not being entirely owned by them could be why those series got animes. I don't know what the deal with the DK cartoon was but it's also DK so... (it could also be they were just less concerned with television stuff as long as it wasn't one of their tentpole franchises like Mario or Zelda)

Warlock82 on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    DKC was effectively Rare's invention, they might've been more hands-off for that reason?

rahkeesh2000 on
    Warlock82
    edited October 2022
    DKC was effectively Rare's invention, they might've been more hands-off for that reason?

Oh, that's true. I always forget that these days. But wow, does that make every Nintendo-related cartoon tied to a second party owner of said franchise? Haha... I'm trying to think if there were any others after the SMB Movie (not counting more recent stuff like Yokai Watch, etc)

Edit: Yeah no, I think that's literally it unless I'm missing one:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animated_series_based_on_video_games
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anime_based_on_video_games

(I have to use two lists because somehow Pokemon counts as both a cartoon and anime? But Kirby doesn't count as a cartoon....)

Interestingly Pokemon and DKC both launched the same year (and suddenly the Pokemon and DKC marketing VHS tapes Nintendo sent me in the mail at the same time are making a lot of sense). Could have been Nintendo trying to dip their toes back in the waters. Kirby was only 4 years after (2001)

Edit 2: I missed a couple. F-Zero GP Legend (2003). Still pretty close to that timeframe. Dobutsu no Mori (aka Animal Crossing OVA) in 2006. Maybe the Kid Icarus: Uprising shorts in 2011 if that counts.

It kinda looks to me like Nintendo was very slowly trying to do stuff but maybe only felt safe with anime for awhile.

Warlock82 on

I don't remember where I heard it (Did You Know Gaming maybe) but yeah, I think the SMB Movie scaring them off was confirmed to actually be true. The other stuff definitely comes from DYKG and I forgot to mention the Metroid movie we never got because of that shit (another very real project that got cancelled).

I imagine all of that paranoia goes back to the SMB Movie. I think Pokemon and Kirby not being entirely owned by them are why those series got animes. I don't know what the deal with the DK cartoon was but it's also DK so... (it could also be they were just less concerned with television stuff as long as it wasn't one of their tentpole franchises like Mario or Zelda)

I find the explanation that it is specific to Super Mario, as a franchise, the most convincing. Pokemon spun out multiple anime (mass noun?), both in film and television, pretty nonstop over last two decades. Other obviously less famous Nintendo properties too. But I could have sworn that there were more modern incarnations of Super Mario on television, either in the US or Japan, dating back to the same period when Nintendo was generous with approval for Mario Brothers branded educational games (which wore the branding upfront with multiple characters, and not just Mario), like Mario's Game Gallery, etc. But there's really only the two TV series (hey, another irregular plural), and they both predated that period.

There's the popular assumption that Nintendo is extremely protective, etc., though obviously there was a time when they were not, or at least less so (Hopper and Hoskins could attest). I think I just confused with something like Pokemon being so prolific when Mario wasn't, even though, well, they're not the same thing.

Warlock82
    edited October 2022

I imagine all of that paranoia goes back to the SMB Movie. I think Pokemon and Kirby not being entirely owned by them are why those series got animes. I don't know what the deal with the DK cartoon was but it's also DK so... (it could also be they were just less concerned with television stuff as long as it wasn't one of their tentpole franchises like Mario or Zelda)

I find the explanation that it is specific to Super Mario, as a franchise, the most convincing. Pokemon spun out multiple anime (mass noun?), both in film and television, pretty nonstop over last two decades. Other obviously less famous Nintendo properties too. But I could have sworn that there were more modern incarnations of Super Mario on television, either in the US or Japan, dating back to the same period when Nintendo was generous with approval for Mario Brothers branded educational games (which wore the branding upfront with multiple characters, and not just Mario), like Mario's Game Gallery, etc. But there's really only the two TV series (hey, another irregular plural), and they both predated that period.

There's the popular assumption that Nintendo is extremely protective, etc., though obviously there was a time when they were not, or at least less so (Hopper and Hoskins could attest). I think I just confused with something like Pokemon being so prolific when Mario wasn't, even though, well, they're not the same thing.

Yeah, I think that's it. If it's a franchise they consider really important they're way more hesitant to put it out there. Remember that the Pokemon anime was developed in tandem with the first game. No one knew that thing was going to explode in popularity. And I'm sure once it did, they realized that the anime one, wasn't bad, and two helped sales.

I still have no idea why they'd cancel a Metroid movie or Star Fox cartoon but maybe those are sentimental favorites :P (or just collateral to the Zelda netflix thing which is 100% something they would be freaking out over I'm sure)

I would not be surprised if they only reason this Mario movie happened was because Miyamoto is like crazy hands on with the project so they can make sure it doesn't suck.

Warlock82 on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Maybe it feels like there have been Nintendo cartoons since then due to the decades of Flash and Youtube fan projects. Feels like there's always been a little clip or a song around within arm's reach.

https://youtu.be/e9x4o1gAzTc

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    XaquinShadowfire
    Yeah, the Pokemon Company can do whatever the hell they want outside of releasing games on Sony and Microsoft consoles. They've been gung-ho on mobile apps long after Nintendo cooled on them.

Warlock82
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Mario wasn't in Wreck-It-Ralph.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Warlock82Chiselphane
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    yall are sleeping on the joy that is the Donkey Kong Country animated series and movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7dgBDTmyzE

el_vicio
    edited October 2022

Nope, just Bowser. I remember them saying he was totally gonna be in Wreck-It-Ralph 2 but then they didn't go anywhere close to that direction with it :/

Random size note, I'm reading this list of animes and there's actually a freaking Ingress anime? Are you kidding me? Niantic really got some clout from Pokemon Go I guess.

Warlock82 on

I'm confusing him with the mustachio'd bartender. Honestly, to the uninformed they look pretty similar.

According to Rich Moore, director of Wreck-It-Ralph, Nintendo was very picky and didn't want Mario to be used for anything that wasn't special. It's a minor miracle we managed to get Bowser (and even then they were incredibly picky about his appearance and actions).

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I'm confusing him with the mustachio'd bartender. Honestly, to the uninformed they look pretty similar.

I will not stand for this Root Beer Tapper slander.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    MNC Doverrahkeesh2000discriderPailryderGimSynthesis
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Fix-it Felix is Mario though.

Xaquin
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Also, regarding the age old complaint of "Why do they always get Hollywood celebrities instead of actual voice actors?" It's because of marketing. You hire someone super famous, the celebrity machine becomes a part of the marketing campaign for your movie. They're posting about it on their socials, talking about it on all the talk shows. Sure, you could hire Fred Tatasciore, and he'd post about it on his socials, but he won't reach even a 10th of the number of eyeballs, and I don't think he's going to be on The Tonight Show.

Dirty on
    rahkeesh2000skeldaredipuc4life