Options

[Xbox] Where MY opinion is the most important opinion. IMHO.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh is that why when I bought some castlevania games this weekend it said I had money? How odd.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Nitsua wrote: »
    I’ve never gotten this, not even once. Would be nice to see it, for a change.

I'm actually curious as to why too, because it's probably around 50% drop rate for me, lol. I imagine maybe because I'm a Game Pass Ultimate guy that may factor, but also I barely buy anyyyy games these days digitally (massive backlog + game pass means it would be crazy to do so anyways)

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Can't be barely buying games, because I buy games all the time and got it. But I too am also game pass ultimate.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I’ve never gotten this, not even once. Would be nice to see it, for a change.

I got it, sat on it for awhile, and then discovered it expired.

Right when there was some $5 dlc I wanted to buy, too.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    I have Game Pass Ultimate and I buy at least a few games extra couple of months. So no idea how they decide really. All I know is that every time others have gotten it, I never have.

I religiously do the Microsoft Rewards and use that to pay for my Game Pass sub, not sure if that’s the reason though.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I have Game Pass Ultimate and I buy at least a few games extra couple of months. So no idea how they decide really. All I know is that every time others have gotten it, I never have.

I religiously do the Microsoft Rewards and use that to pay for my Game Pass sub, not sure if that’s the reason though.

I missed the start of this conversation, but I actively buy any game I'm eagerly excited about and/or want a physical release of. Or happens to be on sale. Sometimes it comes down to a game featuring Xbox Play Anywyhere functionality, and I have to decide whether I care more about having the physical media, or being able to simultaneously own the PC and console release. I tend to err more on the side of the later--not that anything's stopping me from buying it again on Xbox on PC after owning the physical release (I did this with Final Fantasy XV, though that's not Play Anywhere, so I could get cross-platform saves); if you absolutely refuse to buy games anywhere but Steam, as some people do, than that's a nonissue (and you're probably also not using PC Game Pass?).

A simple but not inaccurate reading of the situation might be "An abundance of options." We still periodically get games that skip a physical disc release for Xbox (though given the current information on purchases, that really matters only to a slim percentage of us); but as that lawsuit against Sony revealed, at least you can still buy digital game releases from third-party sellers as a more competitive price, you just need to be willing to jump through an additional hoop or two.

I pretty regularly have between 40 and 70 thousand rewards points (which barely translates to 40 to 70 dollars, I suppose), so I use those periodically (I have a rewards streak going back to the end of January 2020, when I quit a job I particularly hated).

• Options
    Do you ever get the free Microsoft credit? That’s what we were comparing. I never have gotten it myself.

• Options
    Do you ever get the free Microsoft credit? That’s what we were comparing. I never have gotten it myself.

Not recently. I've gotten a few $5 credit in the past tied to promotions, but I checked my Xbox Messages and didn't see anything as clear as a $5 store credit, so not that way.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I pretty regularly have between 40 and 70 thousand rewards points (which barely translates to 40 to 70 dollars, I suppose), so I use those periodically (I have a rewards streak going back to the end of January 2020, when I quit a job I particularly hated).

Do you use the auto-redemption option? I like that one because it’s a bit cheaper, and I have enough points that it’s always there. 8,500 points a month deposits $10 into my account at the beginning of the month, instead of the 10,000 it would require if I redeemed manually. I’ve been using that for a couple of years.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

Do you use the auto-redemption option? I like that one because it’s a bit cheaper, and I have enough points that it’s always there. 8,500 points a month deposits $10 into my account at the beginning of the month, instead of the 10,000 it would require if I redeemed manually. I’ve been using that for a couple of years.

Wait.... How's this work? Can I cover $10 worth of my GPU sub with rewards each month?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    You have to complete the daily, weekly and monthly quests for game pass as you can cash in those points for digital gift cards, then use that to pay for stuff with

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Honestly you’d struggle to cover the cost of gamepass with just the quest rewards, unless you’re also buying games because buying games digitally on the storefront gets you reward points too, not sure of the exact ratio tho

Prohass on
  • Options

Wait.... How's this work? Can I cover $10 worth of my GPU sub with rewards each month?

I don’t see why not, but for GPU it might be simpler to directly redeem 12,000 points for the 1 month GPU card. You do that directly from the rewards app on Xbox if you have the points. Like Synth, I just have a ton from buying stuff.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    It was Madden release month, therefore Madden on top.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Saint's Row was #2?

• Options
    Saint's Row was #2?

Not a lot of things came out, I mean far cry 6 and elden ring were there as well.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I should, for exactly the reason you describe, but I have a not wholly-logical dislike of automated tools like that. I pay all my bills manually (except my one from AT&T Fiber, and only because AT&T actually lowered the monthly fee by $10 for me to do so, hahah suckers). I already get discounted redemption simply because of reward membership whatever status, but I'm pretty sure you'd get a further discount for setting it to auto redemption. Possibly I'm worried about expiration dates (whereas your unredeemed points don't expire as far as I know).

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    $5 would be lovely. I've only got $1 and I'd like to play the Nobody Saves the World DLC.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

I use my points for that. You can only do automatic for Store credit, but it’s easy to get 12k worth of points to buy Ultimate every month, and then some. Especially if you do the weekly And monthly tasks offered on the a Microsoft Rewards app on the Xbox. That and the daily search points and tasks gives you 12k right around mid month.

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    So, uh, Deathloop is really good you guys.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2022

I use my points for that. You can only do automatic for Store credit, but it’s easy to get 12k worth of points to buy Ultimate every month, and then some. Especially if you do the weekly And monthly tasks offered on the a Microsoft Rewards app on the Xbox. That and the daily search points and tasks gives you 12k right around mid month.

should be noted that there is a calendar year hard limit of roughly $500 (550,000) worth of rewards point redemption. Doesn't sound like you guys are breaking that but uh... yeah. it's there.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I actively buy any game I'm eagerly excited about and/or want a physical release of. Or happens to be on sale. Sometimes it comes down to a game featuring Xbox Play Anywyhere functionality, and I have to decide whether I care more about having the physical media, or being able to simultaneously own the PC and console release. I tend to err more on the side of the later--not that anything's stopping me from buying it again on Xbox on PC after owning the physical release (I did this with Final Fantasy XV, though that's not Play Anywhere, so I could get cross-platform saves); if you absolutely refuse to buy games anywhere but Steam, as some people do, than that's a nonissue (and you're probably also not using PC Game Pass?).

Yeah, if it's a game I want to keep and have forever, I'll buy it. Naturally.

At this point, what's killing me is I'd love to buy Halo Infinite physically, but isn't that just an activation code? In which case, might as well just keep playing it on Game Pass, since I know it's probably not leaving any time soon, bar some sort of policy change regarding first party titles.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Guilty Gear Strive and Blazblue Cross Tag Battle Special coming to Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass next Spring
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN2XLp81_Ao
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnd4jks8YKI

• Options
    I actively buy any game I'm eagerly excited about and/or want a physical release of. Or happens to be on sale. Sometimes it comes down to a game featuring Xbox Play Anywyhere functionality, and I have to decide whether I care more about having the physical media, or being able to simultaneously own the PC and console release. I tend to err more on the side of the later--not that anything's stopping me from buying it again on Xbox on PC after owning the physical release (I did this with Final Fantasy XV, though that's not Play Anywhere, so I could get cross-platform saves); if you absolutely refuse to buy games anywhere but Steam, as some people do, than that's a nonissue (and you're probably also not using PC Game Pass?).

At this point, what's killing me is I'd love to buy Halo Infinite physically, but isn't that just an activation code? In which case, might as well just keep playing it on Game Pass, since I know it's probably not leaving any time soon, bar some sort of policy change regarding first party titles.

It's a disc media, if that's what you're asking (I own it, like I own every physical release of Halo in some form or another). Though what you get without an update on the game would be a somewhat barebones version of the singleplayer campaign, as indicated by MVG's video.

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    I'm surprised it'll even let you play the game without connecting to a server. Kind of thought that ship had sailed.

• Options
    Justice wrote: »
    I'm surprised it'll even let you play the game without connecting to a server. Kind of thought that ship had sailed.

It depends entirely on the game--this is one of the prices we pay for "seamless" legacy game support combined with Smart Delivery functionality (i.e. "Any copy an Xbox game I buy--physical or digital--will automatically give me the best possible version of that game on the said hardware I try and play it on.").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4extes1Ah0g&feature=emb_title

What it means is potential weirdness, or worse, for rather exclusive use case in the name of convenience for thee broader audience (plus what Microsoft is willing to enforce on developers, which isn't much, while being profitable).

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Good news on that front.

It's a disc media, if that's what you're asking (I own it, like I own every physical release of Halo in some form or another). Though what you get without an update on the game would be a somewhat barebones version of the singleplayer campaign, as indicated by MVG's video.

Oh? Honestly, all I play is single player, so that's not too bad for me.

I heard it was basically just a key that let you download the game, but if that's not the case, then I'm in!

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    In case there was any doubt, Steel Rising is a terrible, no good, very bad game. I have unironically enjoyed Spiders games before, but they sold their soul to Miyazaki on this and they didn't get a very good deal on it.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I am quite surprised that Hardspace Shipbreaker is listed as "Optimized for X|S" when in fact it does not run at all on Xbox One. Instead, Game Pass will let you stream it, running remotely (presumably on XSX hardware?) with the occasional visual artifact due to bandwidth.

The PC version of the game runs on my potato of a computer, so it's nice to play it with a good frame rate and all the graphical bells and whistles on the console. It's still weird that it can't even be installed on the X1.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Bursar wrote: »
    I am quite surprised that Hardspace Shipbreaker is listed as "Optimized for X|S" when in fact it does not run at all on Xbox One. Instead, Game Pass will let you stream it, running remotely (presumably on XSX hardware?) with the occasional visual artifact due to bandwidth.

The PC version of the game runs on my potato of a computer, so it's nice to play it with a good frame rate and all the graphical bells and whistles on the console. It's still weird that it can't even be installed on the X1.

This is a communication problem, I'm fairly certain on the side of the publisher and/or developer, and not on the marketplace or console. Having played Hardspace since it came to Game Pass a few months ago:

1) The game was initially Windows only; That's fine, lots of games are, PC Game Pass has more than its share of titles not available for any console, much less Xbox specifically. Blackbird Interactive had the decency to at least add basic achievement support (1000/1000), and the game itself is stable enough (only occasional crashes; a weird habit where it makes a folder called "var" on your boot drive every time it updates, but it's empty and you can delete it). Also, cloud saves weren't supported, which was weird. A little sloppy, but not damningly so.

2) This week, the game came to consoles (Playstation and Xbox). Also, cloud saves were added (well, on Xbox), as well as cross-save compatibility (a progression model, since this game doesn't feature in-mission saving). Also, a unified achievement list, except it's been updated to 1560 points total, adding a bunch of more mundane achievements ("Buy thruster fuel once", "Set yourself on fire once", "Get zapped once", "Burn an AI node once", etc.), versus the original game, which had a scant number of achievements, each which took a few hours to accomplish ("Complete Act II"). But the game hasn't been released for Xbox One and Playstation 4. I'm not sure they plan to do so (it's not the best optimized Unity game around; they might be pessimistic about what they can do with the limited CPU power on 2013 consoles, including the PS4). So while it vaguely sounds like you can install an Xbox One version of the game and take that performance hit, instead you're just streaming the game to your hardware.

It's not the smoothest launch, but it's definitely not unforgiveable either. I haven't tried it on Xbox Series X, but given the experience of streaming it from the server version of the same hardware, it does seem like you're taking a pretty stiff hit to play at sort of 60 FPS. It's a pretty classic case of a surprisingly inventive, uniquely detailed indie game (the ship models are still very well done), that really doesn't run that well, especially once you start pressing for higher resolutions or framerates.

• Options
    In case there was any doubt, Steel Rising is a terrible, no good, very bad game. I have unironically enjoyed Spiders games before, but they sold their soul to Miyazaki on this and they didn't get a very good deal on it.

It kind of looked poor from when I saw people pay it. Some cool visuals in the PC, but the enemy variety and environments looked boring as fuck and combat floaty without meat.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2022

hmm... any specific issues? It's Spiders so jank is to be expected but curious. Need to finish another game before I start it.

Speaking of floaty without meat... my last venture in Wo Long ended with a tiger sliding me off a cliff.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular

hmm... any specific issues? It's Spiders so jank is to be expected but curious. Need to finish another game before I start it.

Speaking of floaty without meat... my last venture in Wo Long ended with a tiger sliding me off a cliff.

Apart from what Preacher said, Spider's general jankiness does not lend itself to a souls-like. Greedfall was fun because the combat was, as best, inconsequential. You got through it to get to the other nonsense.

Steel.Rising is nothing but the combat, this time against poorly animated, ugly enemies in bland environments. There are cool hats, which is a plus, but that is not enough.

• Options
    You could already turn off the Xbox startup chime, but now some insiders can turn off the startup theme as well. Finally, we can have a completely silent start.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/09/21/xbox-insider-release-notes-alpha-2210-220919-2200/

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Let me put custom sounds on there and then we'll be in business. :grin:

• Options
    You could already turn off the Xbox startup chime, but now some insiders can turn off the startup theme as well. Finally, we can have a completely silent start.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/09/21/xbox-insider-release-notes-alpha-2210-220919-2200/

Startup theme on Series X was way too loud, so that's neat... early morning power up was like:

200.gif

so that's cool.

• Options
    Keep in mind, the ding chime, and the actual Playstation 3-style orchestra "whhhaaaaaaaaaa" on the console's boot image are different.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Yeah, it sounds like you will be able to ditch the theme sound too? I never had a problem with the chime.

bijgf7ir1zq4.png

Not much to go on...

I play my xbox with the TV volume set to 8-15 max out of 100 though. So it may just be my TV speakers are just loud?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    No, it's just really loud. Crazy that (1) they didn't have a option to disable it from day one, and (2) that this is something that requires alpha-beta testing.

• Options
    I filled out a (way too long) survey for Twitch and they didn't mention any reward but today sent me a 5 dollar gift card of my choice. So I went with Xbox because fuck Amazon these days, now I have 10 bucks in credit kicking around to spend on... Something