Options

[Xbox] Where MY opinion is the most important opinion. IMHO.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Good news on that front.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I actively buy any game I'm eagerly excited about and/or want a physical release of. Or happens to be on sale. Sometimes it comes down to a game featuring Xbox Play Anywyhere functionality, and I have to decide whether I care more about having the physical media, or being able to simultaneously own the PC and console release. I tend to err more on the side of the later--not that anything's stopping me from buying it again on Xbox on PC after owning the physical release (I did this with Final Fantasy XV, though that's not Play Anywhere, so I could get cross-platform saves); if you absolutely refuse to buy games anywhere but Steam, as some people do, than that's a nonissue (and you're probably also not using PC Game Pass?).

Yeah, if it's a game I want to keep and have forever, I'll buy it. Naturally.

At this point, what's killing me is I'd love to buy Halo Infinite physically, but isn't that just an activation code? In which case, might as well just keep playing it on Game Pass, since I know it's probably not leaving any time soon, bar some sort of policy change regarding first party titles.

It's a disc media, if that's what you're asking (I own it, like I own every physical release of Halo in some form or another). Though what you get without an update on the game would be a somewhat barebones version of the singleplayer campaign, as indicated by MVG's video.

Oh? Honestly, all I play is single player, so that's not too bad for me.

I heard it was basically just a key that let you download the game, but if that's not the case, then I'm in!

I suppose the big deal is that, limited as it may be (seeing how many updates the game has gotten) it's still a viable license to the game you could resell or lend to another.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    So I did boot up Steelrising and I agree about the setting... but then again it takes place in Europe and as such is full of the same Renaissance architecture that we've seen in so many games. lol.

Need to fight more things to see how it plays out from a technical/gameplay aspect, but the stilted animations kind of play into the whole weird anachronistic robots vibe that's going on with the automatons. Even though they abandoned that with her eye area. If they were smooth, for me it would be weird... it's even got the tics and stuff.

Combat-animation, they do seem to use minimal hitstopping to register hits, but the enemies not really getting staggered from blows seems feasible within the framework of the game and weapons I have. Unlike Wo Long's sliding blow fest. I imagine they just didn't enable any of that stuff in that demo though (even HDR wasn't available so it's definitely not feature complete). Need to play some more though.

edit: I would add that any offline, single-player game wherein dying and continuing from a check point does not refund my resources but does reset an encounter has a strong negative point against it. Snowballing is obnoxious.

edit2: single save slots are also another annoying thing.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edit: I would add that any offline, single-player game wherein dying and continuing from a check point does not refund my resources but does reset an encounter has a strong negative point against it. Snowballing is obnoxious.

You just described my issue with the entire genre. I honestly hate all souls-likes. But here is the difference: when I bounced off of Bloodborne and Elden Ring it was obvious where the problem was: me. The games are of the utmost quality but I am unable to adjust how I play games so they make me angry very, very quickly. Not the game's fault.

Steel Rising is just bad. :smile:

• Options
    edited September 2022

You just described my issue with the entire genre. I honestly hate all souls-likes. But here is the difference: when I bounced off of Bloodborne and Elden Ring it was obvious where the problem was: me. The games are of the utmost quality but I am unable to adjust how I play games so they make me angry very, very quickly. Not the game's fault.

IDK, it seems to me that you're conflating a "bad game" with "a game you don't like" there? o_o

But for me, since there's an achievement for not using the infinite healing flask doohickey that cut my healing options off at the start, plus the potions you can buy are a limited stock/drop along with the grenades the resource failure state existed. If I could use that to heal then it wouldn't be an issue at all. The finite potions are also HoTs too, lol.

However, when I realized that I didn't need to hoard/avoid upgrades (a habit from previous Spiders games), and the initial build I chose left me with bare minimum HP and armor, with weak hits based around triggering a stagger that wasn't really effective vs the mini-boss encounter it puts you up against, I adjusted. The adds didn't help that either because dodging/blocking made the stamina pool even tighter. Where adjustment here meant a few circuits around the early mobs to actually upgrade the HP, armor and stamina to be able to maintain an offense since the topload damage wouldn't work... the snowballing was solved for me though to the next mini-boss and area. And I also now have the ability to freeze things that I can't ambush-kill too. Will have to see how it all plays out when I get a chance to delve further though.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Justice wrote: »
    No, it's just really loud. Crazy that (1) they didn't have a option to disable it from day one, and (2) that this is something that requires alpha-beta testing.

You don't want to find out disabling the start sound also disables the boot sequence on a live patch. Testing makes perfect sense.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    I am quite surprised that Hardspace Shipbreaker is listed as "Optimized for X|S" when in fact it does not run at all on Xbox One. Instead, Game Pass will let you stream it, running remotely (presumably on XSX hardware?) with the occasional visual artifact due to bandwidth.

The PC version of the game runs on my potato of a computer, so it's nice to play it with a good frame rate and all the graphical bells and whistles on the console. It's still weird that it can't even be installed on the X1.

Deathloop too, which I'd expected since it's PS5 only on the PlayStation side. And also the Xbox port of Crusader Kings 3. All of them Series only, only playable on a One via streaming.*

But as a Steam Deck owner - a machine notably less powerful than my Xbox One X - I do find it slightly jarring that my Deck can play stuff my Xbox One X natively can't (see also: the forthcoming Cyberpunk 2077 expansion). I know it all ultimately boils down to the One X technically being part of the One generation and MS won't allow anything to be only playable on "One X and above" - the same as Sony wouldn't do that with "PS4 Pro and above" - even if they didn't have Series and PS5 consoles to market now. But where the line is drawn as to which generation of hardware gets which game does seem rather arbitrary at this point. It's only gonna get worse, guess I'd better get used to it.

* - side note: the last time I'd tried streaming on my One X it had been a bit ropey to say the least. It seems to have significantly improved; there's still occasional artifacting on something like Deathloop but it's rare and inconsequential. The only issue I still have with it is the perpetual problem with game streaming, and that's input lag - in a first-person game like Deathloop it's just enough to throw my aim off completely. At least it's not a twitch shooter.

• Options

IDK, it seems to me that you're conflating a "bad game" with "a game you don't like" there? o_o

But for me, since there's an achievement for not using the infinite healing flask doohickey that cut my healing options off at the start, plus the potions you can buy are a limited stock/drop along with the grenades the resource failure state existed. If I could use that to heal then it wouldn't be an issue at all. The finite potions are also HoTs too, lol.

However, when I realized that I didn't need to hoard/avoid upgrades (a habit from previous Spiders games), and the initial build I chose left me with bare minimum HP and armor, with weak hits based around triggering a stagger that wasn't really effective vs the mini-boss encounter it puts you up against, I adjusted. The adds didn't help that either because dodging/blocking made the stamina pool even tighter. Where adjustment here meant a few circuits around the early mobs to actually upgrade the HP, armor and stamina to be able to maintain an offense since the topload damage wouldn't work... the snowballing was solved for me though to the next mini-boss and area. And I also now have the ability to freeze things that I can't ambush-kill too. Will have to see how it all plays out when I get a chance to delve further though.

But what hat are you wearing?

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    I am quite surprised that Hardspace Shipbreaker is listed as "Optimized for X|S" when in fact it does not run at all on Xbox One. Instead, Game Pass will let you stream it, running remotely (presumably on XSX hardware?) with the occasional visual artifact due to bandwidth.

The PC version of the game runs on my potato of a computer, so it's nice to play it with a good frame rate and all the graphical bells and whistles on the console. It's still weird that it can't even be installed on the X1.

Deathloop too, which I'd expected since it's PS5 only on the PlayStation side. And also the Xbox port of Crusader Kings 3. All of them Series only, only playable on a One via streaming.*

But as a Steam Deck owner - a machine notably less powerful than my Xbox One X - I do find it slightly jarring that my Deck can play stuff my Xbox One X natively can't (see also: the forthcoming Cyberpunk 2077 expansion). I know it all ultimately boils down to the One X technically being part of the One generation and MS won't allow anything to be only playable on "One X and above" - the same as Sony wouldn't do that with "PS4 Pro and above" - even if they didn't have Series and PS5 consoles to market now. But where the line is drawn as to which generation of hardware gets which game does seem rather arbitrary at this point. It's only gonna get worse, guess I'd better get used to it.

* - side note: the last time I'd tried streaming on my One X it had been a bit ropey to say the least. It seems to have significantly improved; there's still occasional artifacting on something like Deathloop but it's rare and inconsequential. The only issue I still have with it is the perpetual problem with game streaming, and that's input lag - in a first-person game like Deathloop it's just enough to throw my aim off completely. At least it's not a twitch shooter.

It's adjacent to the oddity that the Steam Deck is notably inferior in power to a cheaper Xbox Series S--not surprising, it's a bigger, chunkier device, with no batteries, no video display, and a much more capable cooler and can run hotter accordingly--which itself generally operates on a lower graphical profile setting than the Xbox One X, the last generation machine that had the most titles running at 2160p/60hz (and the most closest to that too).

I've actually only played console Hardspace: Shipbreakers via streaming (I didn't install it on my Series X), on my Xbox One X, which has an atypical setup: it's running a wired connection my upstairs AiMesh hub, which is linked to the primary household modem downstairs and at the other end of my long-ish house. As a result, lag is actually surprisingly minimal, but I do get periodic green-screen dropouts (the only option is to minimize the streaming app, then open it up again and carry on where I was; make sure to remember pausing first). I think it boils down to the unkind reality that the 4K/60FPS streaming "profile" (which is obviously not actually that, and compressed, just like the 4K streaming profiles on Netflix, Youtube, etc.) is still very demanding, and demands a lot of bandwidth for anything resembling optimal gameplay. It just happens that playing on a smartphone, a lot of us are used to terrible game performance.

It ties back to the Logitech G, the so-called "Xbox Handheld" (well, as much as the Xbox-branded Razor Kishi was an Xbox Handheld); which is a streaming only device. I'm fine with Microsoft being so cagey about an Xbox handheld console, no matter how many people are allegedly clamoring for one; I assume they took a look at Sony, a video game juggernaut with two failed portable devices (certainly by their own standards, even if they are beloved cult hits today), and assume they'd probably do worse.

• Options
    edited September 2022

The first thing I did was disable hat display. :V

tastydonuts on
  • Options

The first thing I did was I disable hat display. :V

You are histories greatest monster.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Jazz wrote: »

It's adjacent to the oddity that the Steam Deck is notably inferior in power to a cheaper Xbox Series S--not surprising, it's a bigger, chunkier device, with no batteries, no video display, and a much more capable cooler and can run hotter accordingly--which itself generally operates on a lower graphical profile setting than the Xbox One X, the last generation machine that had the most titles running at 2160p/60hz (and the most closest to that too).

I've actually only played console Hardspace: Shipbreakers via streaming (I didn't install it on my Series X), on my Xbox One X, which has an atypical setup: it's running a wired connection my upstairs AiMesh hub, which is linked to the primary household modem downstairs and at the other end of my long-ish house. As a result, lag is actually surprisingly minimal, but I do get periodic green-screen dropouts (the only option is to minimize the streaming app, then open it up again and carry on where I was; make sure to remember pausing first). I think it boils down to the unkind reality that the 4K/60FPS streaming "profile" (which is obviously not actually that, and compressed, just like the 4K streaming profiles on Netflix, Youtube, etc.) is still very demanding, and demands a lot of bandwidth for anything resembling optimal gameplay. It just happens that playing on a smartphone, a lot of us are used to terrible game performance.

It ties back to the Logitech G, the so-called "Xbox Handheld" (well, as much as the Xbox-branded Razor Kishi was an Xbox Handheld); which is a streaming only device. I'm fine with Microsoft being so cagey about an Xbox handheld console, no matter how many people are allegedly clamoring for one; I assume they took a look at Sony, a video game juggernaut with two failed portable devices (certainly by their own standards, even if they are beloved cult hits today), and assume they'd probably do worse.

I should've also clarified that the Deck can happily handle Deathloop, Hardspace Shipbreaker and Crusader Kings 3. Even if the latter needs a little squinting at on a dinky display.

I think MS have (probably rightly) recognised that any handheld Xbox would a) need to be backwards compatible with existing Xbox software up to a point (I think the existence of the Switch, and latterly the Deck etc, has spelled the end of separate handheld console libraries that need starting from scratch), and b) that means they'd be limited in what would come out for it at this point. I'm sure stuffing an Xbox One S All-Digital Edition into a handheld chassis is more than feasible at this point on a technical level (that'd be lower-powered than the Deck, for comparison's sake), but what exactly would you do with it now without a flow of noteworthy new software to it?

That plus the historical examples of the PSP and Vita, which existed when entirely separate handhelds were entirely viable, and I'm not surprised they're not doing any handheld Xbox. Going all-in on streaming to Kishi, Logi G, etc, and indeed the Steam Deck itself, seems to be their only viable point of entry when it comes to portables.

Jazz on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I think there's an argument for native portable gaming, but it's not one Microsoft is interested in. They bet hard on cloud for exactly this use case and are going to ride it out for at least this generation.

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Does anyone play Xbox cloud streaming on their phone? It's technically possible, with the app, and some games even have a controller overlay, but my tentative poking at it makes me think the experience would be pretty bad. But maybe I'm just old and my old eyes can't hack it.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Does anyone play Xbox cloud streaming on their phone? It's technically possible, with the app, and some games even have a controller overlay, but my tentative poking at it makes me think the experience would be pretty bad. But maybe I'm just old and my old eyes can't hack it.

I've done it more that I've played it on a console. It's constrained by your network connection, perhaps slightly less so, because the app is limited to 720p (I think?) and the tiny screen on your phone hides compression artifacts a lot better.

I don't think it's that dissimilar from playing any handheld console in the last ten years, once you have a suitable streaming option. But I'd really advise against using the touch screen options unless you're playing a point-and-click or turn-based game, or something similarly forgiving. You need to settle on a controller you like (the most obvious avenue is to use an Xbox Gamepad, which compared to handheld system controls is excellent, but doesn't really help with holding the screen beyond an awkward plastic clip). Generally modern, compatible smartphones have screens with much better brightness than the original Switch panel, and equal to or better than the OLED panels on the Switch or the PS Vita before that (unless you have a phone with an dim LCD panel, which are generally the domain of economy/free phones). They're small, but so are those handheld screens (well, not as small, in the Switch's case). Something like a Samsung Fold (or a Surface Duo or a LG two-screen phone, etc.) would substantially change things up.

You'll need t o sort out a setup that works for you, in which case, the phone/controller combo might be the best implementation of Xbox Cloud Streaming simply because it hides all the unavoidable compromises of game streaming with a small screen (same with a lot of Switch games). They're a lot more obvious with streaming to a TV or laptop display certainly. If you're like me, and generally a truly portable gaming experience is unpleasant by virtue of what makes it portable...you might want to try it on a laptop instead. I've struggled to play handheld gaming systems for many years, and it's not getting easier as I get older; a better solution was to use my Surface Pro (which is certainly portable, but not a handheld gaming paired with a gamepad.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

I think that if I don't like a game, I should just be able to say that it sucks. I shouldn't have to type a paragraph explaining that while I respect the effort developers put into the game, and that I understand that other people may enjoy it immensely, I don't personally enjoy the game, but that is mostly my own failing, as there must be some shortcoming on my own part, and not on this game.

Fuck that. The game sucks.

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Awesome. Thanks for the review. Yeah sounds like the best use case is taking my old Surface Pro and a controller to have Elden Ring or whatever on the trip to stay with the in-laws.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »

I think that if I don't like a game, I should just be able to say that it sucks. I shouldn't have to type a paragraph explaining that while I respect the effort developers put into the game, and that I understand that other people may enjoy it immensely, I don't personally enjoy the game, but that is mostly my own failing, as there must be some shortcoming on my own part, and not on this game.

Fuck that. The game sucks.

I mean... I wasn't having that conversation with you so... okay? But within the framework of the conversation, Chamberlain said it was a "bad game."

When I think of a "bad game", I think of the "definitive" Grand Theft Auto remakes... or well, Cyberpunk at launch on console... when there's a litany of technical issues that pretty make a game unplayable, particularly to the degree that no-questions-asked are offered and whatnot... yeah, bad game. While I hadn't started it at the time he said that initially, Spiders' games have never been broken-broken like this, and with their budgets and scale increasing over the years for that to happen now would have been surprising: hence the question I asked him yesterday to begin that convo.

To the point of that sentence, Chamberlain said he didn't like the genre; and I don't either. Having played the game for a day now, I know it's not a bad game in the sense that I look for when someone says "bad game." Ye olde Europe is a boring setting is something we agreed on. The animations being janky is a turnoff, but I think it fits the theme. The combat feeling initially bad for me was the direct product of my doing, while I have better tools to accommodate how I wish to play it now. But I could have just as easily bounced off it as he did, and I know that it's bad in a "don't like" sense and not in the context I think of bad in. We both kind of moved on though... probably best if we move on from this too. no idea what the takeaway from your post was supposed to be. o_o

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I tried Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, and I didn't like either one. I don't think they're bad games, but they're definitely not for me.

I love Alpha Protocol. It's a bad fucking game! But I still love it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    In other news, Prodeus is now on GamePass. If you enjoy retro style shooters you should download it post haste.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I tried Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, and I didn't like either one. I don't think they're bad games, but they're definitely not for me.

Alpha Protocol is only a bad game if you ignore the "The Espionage RPG" in the name and wonder why you're rolling dice to shoot things. :P

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Awesome. Thanks for the review. Yeah sounds like the best use case is taking my old Surface Pro and a controller to have Elden Ring or whatever on the trip to stay with the in-laws.

Provided you have a good wifi connection, pretty much any Surface Pro with Windows 10 onwards is a great Xbox Game Streaming device, arguably better than a high-end phone or a Steam Deck, because of the higher usability of the screen (even the original Surface Pro and RT had great screens for their time). Likewise, pairing a gamepad to it is easy, either via BT or by USB. And you have a headphone jack. I've played CrisTales, Hitman, Chorvs and more--it's still a streaming experience, but I'd say it's as good as it gets, especially if your connection isn't the bottleneck.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Alpha Protocol is only a bad game if you ignore the "The Espionage RPG" in the name and wonder why you're rolling dice to shoot things. :P

Ahh shit. I don't know why I typed that, I was thinking of Advent Rising. A game that was pretty bad! But I loved it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MVG confirming which xbox discs you can play offline now since the recent updates:

https://youtu.be/9_28_EQa2UU

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Conveniently, it's his follow-up to his earlier video I posted on the last page.

Basically, because there are hundreds EDIT: of games specifically available on disc of Xbox One titles, "most" of these disc media games games you can play on Xbox Series consoles needed this initial online check (they don't need them on Xbox One; then you have to worry about online-only, etc., games instead). Right now, a lot more people own Xbox One consoles than Xbox Series consoles, but that's going to change at some point one presumes, and then it would present an obvious problem, since those physical media licenses would require the only check (well, not on Xbox Series S for obvious reasons). Microsoft made a judgement call that playing a previous generation game, in of itself, off disc didn't warrant a check, and that's a good thing.

Of course, several hundred Xbox 360 titles, and close to a hundred Xbox titles, all need an online connection to install in the first place, because you have to download the emulated software package, but there's not really anything to do about that short of republishing those games on disc.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Is the Xbox version of prodeus the full version V1.0) like on Steam?

Or still the early access one? It still says game preview on it but Twitter says the game has fully launched

• Options
    Also prodeus is great fun

• Options
    Conveniently, it's his follow-up to his earlier video I posted on the last page.

Basically, because there are hundreds of Xbox One titles, "most" of the games you can play on Xbox Series consoles needed this initial online check (they don't need them on Xbox One; then you have to worry about online-only, etc., games instead). Right now, a lot more people own Xbox One consoles than Xbox Series consoles, but that's going to change at some point one presumes, and then it would present an obvious problem, since those physical media licenses would require the only check (well, not on Xbox Series S for obvious reasons). Microsoft made a judgement call that playing a previous generation game, in of itself, off disc didn't warrant a check, and that's a good thing.

Of course, several hundred Xbox 360 titles, and close to a hundred Xbox titles, all need an online connection to install in the first place, because you have to download the emulated software package, but there's not really anything to do about that short of republishing those games on disc.

Especially in this era of day-one patches and god only knows how many other patches and updates over the average game's life, I'm perfectly okay with having to be online to install something, even if ostensibly from a disc.*

But reasonable efforts to make sure I can, once they're installed, play them offline - with the sole obvious exception of online-only games - is definitely appreciated.

* - this is of course assuming the online service required for the patches/updates/etc is still up and running, which as we've seen (primarily from Nintendo & Sony's shutting down of legacy services, and MS with OG Xbox of course) is not exactly a given in perpetuity, unfortunately.

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

Parodius_NES.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2022

Parodius_NES.jpg

This is now the board's [Parodius] thread.

vd580nk2i9my.jpg

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Whew too sexy for me sheeesh

• Options
    I don't know what's happening and I'm scared

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Playing Gamepass stuff before it disappears.

Unsighted
    A Metroidvania that shows off its influences very blatantly. TOO blatantly, if you ask me. It's like Darksiders 1, but that game actually used its borrowed gear in unique puzzles and renamed it for the setting, and etc. In Unsighted you get... the Spinner. It's the Spinner from Zelda: Twilight Princess, and you use it on rail sequences, just like TP. That's all it does, it's actually underused just like the spinner from TP, the homage was so much they actually retained the same flaws! And speaking of Twilight Princess, you also get a hookshot and then a second hookshot soon enough, so you can duplicate that type of style as well (just in 2D). This team clearly LOVED TP. The other influences are Mega Man X or perhaps MM Zero (for the main quest, you're hunting down powerful robot masters who are introduced in the same threatening way as a later Mega Man title) and speed running 2D games. The devs are super in love with speedrunning, it seems like about half of the achievements are based on clearing the game in unorthodox/sequence breaking/speed running ways. I think that kind of content is cool, but also think tying achievements to it kind of sucks. The clear percentage for this game on Xbox is already perilously low, the speed running stuff is all like... 1-3% or worse.

But what is the game actually like? It's uh... unsure of itself. The main mechanic is meant to be that the whole game is under time pressure. All the good guy characters/vendors/helpers and even yourself are robots, and because of plot stuff, your lifespan is constantly ticking down in real (??) time. Some kind of timer. When the timer runs out, a robot will lose its soul and become a monster basically (all the enemies in the game have had this happen). So some high percentage of the treasure chests you find out in the world are this Meteor Dust that gives any character more time if you gift it to them (and it also gives you more time to complete the game if you use it on yourself, you'll Game Over otherwise). The intent here is that you have to weigh keeping yourself alive and also keeping your favorite characters or vendors healthy as time ticks down. For a lot of people (myself included), running unfamiliar games under a time limit is enough to make the whole thing a no go. And they must have known this, because right from the start, after introducing the mechanic, the tooltip is like "OR... you can turn off the timer part of the game. Ignore it if you'd like. We think it's really key, but um... please feel free to turn off the main theme of our game, if you want." And I did that. I felt a little bit sorry, but yeah, I actually think a timer is a HORRIBLE fit for a Metroidvania. Instead of the fun of exploring a new, unfamiliar landscape, learning the area, bettering your combat skills, earning upgrades and exploring mysteries, what if the game made you feel like crap for doing anything but hurrying to the finish? I think it's bad to make such a major feature of your game something you can just turn off, but I also think the game would only be enjoyable for a vast portion of the playerbase BY doing that... it was not a good idea, imo.

Speaking of turning stuff off, there's a Dark Souls corpse run element to things as well, where dying will leave behind some large portion of your currency. The devs, eager to please, included a gear upgrade to remove that element, very early on in the game, which I also took. My suggestion would be... think harder about the elements you put into your game, rather than creating all these mechanics and then letting me switch them off. The most extreme element of this is the "effect cogs". The game persistently bothers you early on that "hey, you can craft these cogs that will grant you an edge in battle, they're very easy to replace, so don't hoard them!" I ignored this for the early part of the game, not being a huge fan of temporary buff items myself. Then in an early boss I decided to go ahead and use them... they're laughably broken. Basically you can hold four of the things, with no ability to hold replacements. The cogs do things like "much higher attack", "much higher stamina to attack and dodge with", and most pivotally "more defense, which the game means to be 3 hits of invincibility" and "one free revive". And the game was not wrong, they are trivial to replace, especially stamina and defense. If you gift a certain character enough, you also get the ability to craft in the field and not only at certain locations (the starting limitation). Which means you could say, craft the defense one over and over again DURING a boss battle with no penalty. With the effect cogs + field crafting you can opt out of... the game having any challenge.

Something I found interesting about the map, it's SUPER interconnected. Like, there's a whole "Aquarium water + ice" dungeon. But if you follow the path to the edge enough, it will eventually lead DIRECTLY into other themed areas, the museum with a light + dark theme for example. There's a hidden path making them directly connected, not with so much as a tunnel, just one room of ice dungeon has a hidden exit to the museum, that kind of thing. In a lot of ways, I like this, but I also feel it unfortunately has a downside. I think conveyance of "where should I go next" is rather bad in this game. In at least three places, I just started wandering in circles because it was super unclear what to do next. Or I would solve a puzzle to let me move on, but backtrack to take the other path that was possible at a branch first, wander down that other branch, and end up in a completely different biome. I even soft locked by doing this once! One good feature on this one is that since it only saves your positioning at the fast travel terminals, any soft lock is escapeable simply by saving + quitting + loading. You'll come back in a safe, non-blocked spot. I think separating biomes with travel zones is just a good practice in Metroidvania type games like this, it cuts down on the confusion of leaving a dungeon through a hidden exit and traveling to a new place, letting you realizing you're doing it and go back.

In the end, I thought this was a fairly compelling Metroidvania, fun to play, worth finishing... semi-ruined by the devs very bad fixations on niche genre traits (Dark Souls, speedrun, sequence break), desire to please everyone, and fairly shallow story.

The Procession to Calvary
    A very brief but amusing adventure game in the style of... this.
    https://youtu.be/3Q2WPneqhhs
    More so in the art style of paintings about this era (there's an in-game gallery that lets you see the source of almost every area and character), but the humor style is basically in that Monty Python style of absurd tones that don't belong in the setting and so forth. The plot is that you're a bloodthirsty knight on a quest to kill the one person you're ALLOWED to kill after having too much fun in the Holy Wars. You can actually speed run the game by stabbing pretty much everyone, but you get the worst ending by doing so. If you like point and click games, give this one a go before it disappears, you can EASILY clear it in one good session.

Going Under
    I gave this one a chance and bounced off it almost instantly. It's clearly going for a Hades style experience (whether they were influenced by the game or not, it's very similar), it just comes off as the Costco version of same in literally every aspect. Graphics feel uh... Unity indy dev brand, to the worst extent possible. The writing is cute but not actually funny or insightful (the opening gave me hope that the game immediately did not reward). There isn't voice acting and unsurprisingly, the music is also not a patch on Hades. Finally, combat felt awful. Use random items from the arena as weapons, which will break instantly. When they do break, your inventory will not swap to a usable item, it will leave you flailing with your (terrible) fists instead. So the preferred playstyle seems to be to attack very slowly so that you're ready to swap weapons the second you break the bad one you're using. Throwing stuff is also comically inaccurate, considering how many items are seemingly MEANT to be thrown, primarily. Maybe this plays better on a mouse? After two dungeon runs, I clearly had a sense of what an enormous waste of time beating this would be vs using that same amount of time to play more Hades.

Finally going to play AI: The Somnium Files, hopefully there's enough time to clear it left.

• Options

Or still the early access one? It still says game preview on it but Twitter says the game has fully launched

Yes, it is 1.0.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Wrong thread

Crippl3 on
  • Options

Yes, it is 1.0.

Thank you. It's very good

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Steel Rising looked weird, I had no desire to play as a doll thing. I guess if that's your kink, go bananas!

• Options
    I mean, if they sexualized the doll in any way then maybe it'd be weird or a kink? I guess they could have just as easily gone the Nier Automata route, but they didn't.

It's interesting that they actually included Julien Raimond in Steelrising, and there's actually stuff related to his presence in France. Raimond was from Saint-Domingue, and was one of the leaders of the Haitian Revolution. Most definitely wasn't expecting abolition discussion in this game though, heh. There's a surprising bit of historical stuff/politics in its remix of the French Revolution.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I wish they put house of the dead remake thing on the pc Xbox store, it seems a no brainer, it’s weird you can only get a console version. Like yeah it’s on steam but I want my Xbox cheeves

• Options
    Happy 15th birthday to Halo 3!

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    15 years?? I still remember the night I went to GameStop and picked up the cat helmet edition. Even joined in on a multiplayer tournament at the store while we waited for midnight - I got trounced.