Options

[Xbox] Where MY opinion is the most important opinion. IMHO.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I almost always use the Gamepass tab to snag my GwG. It's a little far down the page but I don't think it's ever been missing for me plus it lets me window shop GP titles.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Brazil’s competition authority, which was the source of the first back-and-forth of comments between Microsoft and Sony about the Activision acquisition, has approved the acquisition without any restriction.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/the-first-regulator-has-approved-microsofts-proposed-activision-blizzard-deal/

The whole thing is interesting to read.
    “As already seen, Nintendo does not currently rely on any content from Activision Blizzard to compete in the market. In turn, Sony has several predicates – strength of the world’s leading brand for more than 20 years, extensive experience in the sector, largest user base, largest installed base of consoles, robust catalog of exclusive games, partnerships with multiple publishers, brand loyal consumers, etc. – which should contribute to maintaining the competitiveness of PlayStation in a possible post-Operation scenario, even in the face of possible loss of access to Activision Blizzard content.

“Furthermore, it is important to highlight that the central objective of CADE’s activities is the protection of competition as a means of promoting the well-being of Brazilian consumers, and not the defence of the particular interests of specific competitors.

“In this sense, although it is recognized that part of the users of PlayStation consoles (from Sony) could decide to migrate to Xbox in the event that Activision Blizzard games – and especially Call of Duty– become exclusive to the Microsoft ecosystem, SG/Cade does not believe that such a possibility represents, in itself, a risk to competition in the console market as a whole

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's more than a little funny how much Overwatch 2 already feels like a first party Microsoft game, in that it's half-baked and won't be good for years, if at all.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    It's more than a little funny how much Overwatch 2 already feels like a first party Microsoft game, in that it's half-baked and won't be good for years, if at all.

Hmm, haven’t kept up with Overwatch much since the early days of (2016?), but at the risk of over analyzing a joke I think Microsoft first party has been on a pretty great run since the release of the Series. Excluding all Bethesda games released since the acquisition.

Gears Tactics
    Microsoft Flight Simulator
    Psychonauts 2
    Age of Empires IV
    Forza Horizon 5
    Halo Infinite
    As Dusk Falls
    Grounded

Of those, I have yet to play Grounded although it’s in my list to play and it looks fun. I understand Halo is controversial even though I thoroughly enjoyed it, but even if we count that as a dud that’s a really good run of games that cover a wide spectrum of different genres. A 7 of 8 run of games like that is pretty rare in the industry. Pentiment is up next, and I have high hopes for that one.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    The primary difference is that people who nay-say the portfolio would suggest the majority of those titles aren't worth mentioning because they don't fit their platonic ideal of what a marquee videogame title is these days. If it ain't an over-the-shoulder action adventure, it ain't worth the time of day

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Wait, people have actually played Overwatch 2? I still have 2000 people ahead of me.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

Hmm, haven’t kept up with Overwatch much since the early days of (2016?), but at the risk of over analyzing a joke I think Microsoft first party has been on a pretty great run since the release of the Series. Excluding all Bethesda games released since the acquisition.

Gears Tactics
    Psychonauts 2
    Age of Empires IV
    Forza Horizon 5
    Halo Infinite
    As Dusk Falls
    Grounded

Of those, I have yet to play Grounded although it’s in my list to play and it looks fun. I understand Halo is controversial even though I thoroughly enjoyed it, but even if we count that as a dud that’s a really good run of games that cover a wide spectrum of different genres. A 7 of 8 run of games like that is pretty rare in the industry. Pentiment is up next, and I have high hopes for that one.

It sort of sounds like the argument we've had in past threads "Why can't Microsoft, a company that's so fixated on multiplayer, launch a multiplayer game that just works on the first day?" not even as a strawman debate.

Well, aside from that being a challenging order to start with for many publishers--"What about Gears of War 4? Or Gears 5? Or Halo 5? Or Flight Simulator? Or Sea of Thieves? Or Age of Empires IV? Or Flight Simulator? or Forza Horizon5? Or Forza Motorsport 7? Or Halo Wars 2 Or Minecraft Dungeons?"

"Well, those don't count."

One could just say "But I don't like any of those games," and it could be a completely genuine opinion, because your determination of overall enjoyment starts, ands, with you. But as far as I can remember, all of those games had working complex, global multiplayer on their first day of official release (most of them also had extensive multiplayer betas to make that possible in the first place); that's not really up to dispute, as far as global multiplayer launches work today.

On the other hand, maybe H Jay is just being witty. Like saying "Destiny 2 is the textbook example of a Sony first-party multiplayer game already--all it had to do was be as good as its predecessor, and that's ended up taking years to happen," which is just as valid (and hot) a take.

• Options
    This might be slightly more interesting:

In the morass of human consciousness that is Reddit, which I really shouldn't be visiting anyway, someone shared the interesting achievement tracking statistic: only two-thirds of people who loaded up Deathloop since it came to Xbox Game Pass completed the tutorial. Of course, for this to work we have to allow for the achievement to be activating correctly, but I haven't heard to the contrary myself.

For contrast, that number is around 86% of Playstation players (which perhaps still isn't as high as one might expect). Even before Deathloop was announced as coming to Xbox Game Pass, I got the impression--maybe incorrectly--that as a game it had its moment in the spotlight before being replaced (given that it had to compete with the regular pace of singleplayer Playstation releases, some of which were very high-profile), and that the current spike in interest is the natural outcome of an exclusive coming to a different platform. I wonder if that percentage tracking doesn't reflect an initial excitement to try the game, but not a lot of interest to stick with it.

I played a few hours myself; I thought it might be fun to write a mini-review, but aside from drawing comparisons between running the game on Xbox Series X, on a high(ish)-end gaming PC, and over cloud streaming, I didn't think I'd have very much to say besides "The shooting is passable, but doesn't compare well to other FPS titles focused on gunplay and with polished mechanics, including those from Bethesda; what will stick with me is the extremely entertaining voiceover performances." Probably everyone else has a way better impression of the game than I do by virtue of playing it on PC and PS5 already.

• Options
    edited October 2022

Gears Tactics
    Psychonauts 2
    Age of Empires IV
    Forza Horizon 5
    Halo Infinite
    As Dusk Falls
    Grounded

The difference I think is something like Grounded actually launched in Early Access, which gives customers an understanding that what they're getting isn't done yet. They should have done that for Halo Infinite, Halo MCC and Crackdown 3 but we didn't get that so we're left waiting for them to make the games better slowly over the course of years, or in the case of Crackdown, abandoned entirely.

I also hesitate to give them a W for something like Pyschonauts 2 which was backed by crowdfunding and would have likely been excellent with or without MS

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I also hesitate to give them a W for something like Pyschonauts 2 which was backed by crowdfunding and would have likely been excellent with or without MS

I would generally agree with this as a serious appraisal; but by the same logic, Microsoft has substantially less to do with Overwatch 2 assuming the acquisition actually goes through eventually. Frankly, especially given the decision to deliberate limit player access to the gameplay content--particularly individual characters in the roster--compared to its prececessor, Overwatch 2 doesn't feel like a Microsoft first-party multiplayer game at all. :lol:

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Halo 5 and Infinite both launched with working multiplayer, but both also launched with little content and major modes and features missing. MCC was famously broken on release.

There's a pattern in there, somewhere.

*cough*343i*cough*

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

I would generally agree with this as a serious appraisal; but by the same logic, Microsoft has substantially less to do with Overwatch 2 assuming the acquisition actually goes through eventually. Frankly, especially given the decision to deliberate limit player access to the gameplay content--particularly individual characters in the roster--compared to its prececessor, Overwatch 2 doesn't feel like a Microsoft first-party multiplayer game at all. :lol:

Yeah, needs more cash shop

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »
    Halo 5 and Infinite both launched with working multiplayer, but both also launched with little content and major modes and features missing. MCC was famously broken on release.

Hard disagree for Halo 5. It launched with the new Warzone mode in the first day, which more than a half-decade ago was genuinely massive, alongside a laundry list of conventional Slayer/Territories/etc. modes, Big Team Battle, SWAT, the usual co-op and more. I'm trying to remember if it launched with Griffball. What it was certainly missing Forge; it still had one of the largest variety of multiplayer game modes on day one. And as importantly, it was absolutely accessible on the first day.

This actual harkens back to an earlier point. One common rebuke was "But I don't like Warzone." Which is a fine reason for not liking the game's multiplayer offering, but claiming because you don't like it, it shouldn't count, is extremely unconvincing; it's no better than me saying "I don't like Firefight, ergo, ODST launched with no multiplayer aside from co-op."

I actually don't disagree about Halo Infinite; but from day one, I preferred Halo Guardians--and played much more of the multiplayer--so I don't feel as qualified to rule on it.

• Options

Gears Tactics
    Psychonauts 2
    Age of Empires IV
    Forza Horizon 5
    Halo Infinite
    As Dusk Falls
    Grounded

The difference I think is something like Grounded actually launched in Early Access, which gives customers an understanding that what they're getting isn't done yet. They should have done that for Halo Infinite, Halo MCC and Crackdown 3 but we didn't get that so we're left waiting for them to make the games better slowly over the course of years, or in the case of Crackdown, abandoned entirely.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t have given more time to Infinite. I’m saying Infinite is 1 of 8 games released during this time period, and I don’t think its quality should 100% define the entirety of what MS first party looks like.

And Psychonauts 2 was released two and a half years after the acquisition and I think from its quality and direct things said by the devs, no way would it have been what it was based on $3 million in crowd funding compared to the support DF had as a first party studio. If Microsoft is to blame for shipping something incomplete in Halo Infinite and they should strive to do better, isn’t giving a studio the proper time and resources to deliver an extremely polished and complete game exactly what they’re asked to do and did do here?

I don’t think Microsoft had much to do with the excellent quality of Deathloop, that game was quite well along when the acquisition of Bethesda happened and Arkane had the backing of its parent which was a significant publisher even if it had some problems at the time. But Psychonauts 2 from independent DF that was really never secure and living project to project they absolutely did.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

The real solution was for it not to launch with multiplayer at all, then instead it would feel like a Sony first-party multiplayer game. :wink:

• Options
    I guess my view, and to a lot of people I think, Halo is Xbox and that they've let the franchise languish in mediocrity for so long, it all leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm sure Forza is great, but I'm not here for the racing games. My joke post was that Microsoft has a thing for dumping games out before they are ready lately, and then saying well it'll be fixed eventually, which has only happened a few times and remains to be seen wether Infinite will even deliver on promises they've made, some of which they've already broken.

So to me, yeah Overwatch 2 looks a lot like it'll fit in just great on game pass, and maybe in 2 years it'll be worth firing up.

I'm stoked those 7 games exist for those who want them; now if only they showed the same level of care for Halo that they've done for Microsoft Flight Simulator, we'd be golden

• Options

The real solution was for it not to launch with multiplayer at all, then instead it would feel like a Sony first-party multiplayer game. :wink:

All I know is that would have prevented me from giving them 10 dollars for a crummy season pass as everyone I know immediately dropped Halo Infinite within a week or two of launch

Maybe they'll refund me

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

Hard disagree for Halo 5. It launched with the new Warzone mode in the first day, which more than a half-decade ago was genuinely massive, alongside a laundry list of conventional Slayer/Territories/etc. modes, Big Team Battle, SWAT, the usual co-op and more. I'm trying to remember if it launched with Griffball. What it was certainly missing Forge; it still had one of the largest variety of multiplayer game modes on day one. And as importantly, it was absolutely accessible on the first day.

This actual harkens back to an earlier point. One common rebuke was "But I don't like Warzone." Which is a fine reason for not liking the game's multiplayer offering, but claiming because you don't like it, it shouldn't count, is extremely unconvincing; it's no better than me saying "I don't like Firefight, ergo, ODST launched with no multiplayer aside from co-op."

I actually don't disagree about Halo Infinite; but from day one, I preferred Halo Guardians--and played much more of the multiplayer--so I don't feel as qualified to rule on it.

You are mistaken. I specifically remember big Team Battle not being there at launch. The initial playlists were mostly slayer variants.

https://gamerant.com/halo-5-no-big-team-battle-launch-909/#:~:text=343 Industries announced recently that Halo 5: Guardians,October, despite that particular mode's popularity among gamers.

Forge, Oddball, Fiesta, Griffball, Infection etc were not there at launch either.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    I guess my view, and to a lot of people I think, Halo is Xbox and that they've let the franchise languish in mediocrity for so long, it all leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm sure Forza is great, but I'm not here for the racing games.

"I'm sure Spiderman is great, but I'm not here for action-adventure games."

This is a perfectly reasonable opinion to have; but it'd be a little dubious to apply the equivalent reasoning to one game, and another game, and another game, and another game. That doesn't diminish Halo's importance, but it becomes a problem if you're operating on the assumption, "And thusly, none of those other games really matter." There's nothing wrong with not liking Sea of Thieves, but saying "Yeah, but that doesn't really count..." when it passed 25 million unique players last year isn't really convincing at all.

You are mistaken. I specifically remember big Team Battle not being there at launch. The initial playlists were mostly slayer variants.

https://gamerant.com/halo-5-no-big-team-battle-launch-909/#:~:text=343 Industries announced recently that Halo 5: Guardians,October, despite that particular mode's popularity among gamers.

Forge, Oddball, Fiesta, Griffball, Infection etc were not there at launch either.

I already noted the absence of Forge, but I stand corrected about the other game modes missing--those are genuine missing modes, and it's not necessarily to look up their introduction/removal this many years later. I'm probably going to regret making the comparison, but I'm immediately reminded of Bungie's decision to remove existing content from Destiny 2 for "the vault", as if they were taking strategies from Disney. EDIT: Then again, I know @Elki has played more Destiny in any given season than I ever will, I would defer to him on that too.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    I'm not here to argue it, Microsoft can do better by their fans. I'm glad there's new games for folks to enjoy, Sea of Thieves isn't for me but I'm glad folks liked it! But that's another game that launched with very thin content and only grew into something greater over time. Launch windows impact people's experience with the game and it did so with mine, which soured me on the whole thing specifically with SoT. So now, I'm of the opinion it's not worth jumping into first party Microsoft titles until the general consensus is that it's actually done. And again, launching in Early Access is easy, and it informs the players hey the game isn't done yet. Hence why I'm a lot less harsh on Grounded which launched very thin on content but they told me so...

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Grounded is super god damn fun, and really benefitted from being in EA, but a lot of the people coming to it like myself never touched EA and got to benefit from it.

Forza 5 was multi from the jump and outside of some growing pains in the first week ran pretty god damn great considering.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm not here to argue it, Microsoft can do better by their fans. I'm glad there's new games for folks to enjoy, Sea of Thieves isn't for me but I'm glad folks liked it! But that's another game that launched with very thin content and only grew into something greater over time. Launch windows impact people's experience with the game and it did so with mine, which soured me on the whole thing specifically with SoT. So now, I'm of the opinion it's not worth jumping into first party Microsoft titles until the general consensus is that it's actually done. And again, launching in Early Access is easy, and it informs the players hey the game isn't done yet. Hence why I'm a lot less harsh on Grounded which launched very thin on content but they told me so...

There's a line of argument that we've heard a lot in these threads--"Xbox isn't being served by Microsoft putting out all these multiplayer games at the cost of everything else, typified in Sea of Thieves." The game's a useful example here.

On the first point, I'd say this is an gross oversimplification, because Sea of Thieves was still very successful in its first year of launch--in the face of some criticism--and became massively successful afterwards. It's not really a fitting comparison to Final Fantasy XIV and No Man's Sky, because those were games that, in sincerity, could be described as "genuinely extremely bad" (in fact, S-E admitted as much when they completely tossed their original game and literally tried over; Hello Games got sued over their game), whereas Sea of Thieves was just flawed in some ways and great in others.

On the second point, I'd say there's a useful truth behind that, because it represents a type of gameplay experience that a lot of people can't easily commit to, or don't want to for any number of reasons. Sea of Thieves--or for that matter, Destiny 2 now being "good", rather than "bad", is an obvious improvement but it doesn't solve the issue.

I think the complaint, "There aren't enough dedicated singleplayer experiences on Xbox," is dubious or outright wrong, considering the current state of multiplatform releases; I think the complaint, "Microsoft themselves aren't developing enough dedicated singleplayer experiences on Xbox," has much more merit, but it does coexist with the fact that Xbox is home to different multiplayer games with ten or twenty million unique players, which means there's an audience for multiplayer pretty obviously. I really don't have that much time for multiplayer games personally (I have friends who wanted me to join them on a hundred hours of Ark, before moving to a hundred hours of Conan), but I've always been wary of translating my experience--someone who doesn't mind buying a game at near full price, playing it for a few hours before moving onto something else--onto the model of a "power user" who expects an experience that can potentially last tens of hours (or even hundreds), whether that be alone or with others (the latter is probably a lot easier, but there are games like Cyberpunk 2077).

I'm not really convinced that Sea of Thieves--a new I.P., from a developer with no meaningful reputation in that genre, which everyone knew was a huge gamble--was ultimately "hurt" by "very thin content" in a meaningful way. I think it's probably more meaningful that only so many people want to play this kind of game, and that wouldn't really change if it somehow wasn't "thin on content", but they still got 25 million players last year anyway. And that's something Xbox really has to contend with; buying Bethesda was supposed to do that, but I've always held by my expectations as to whether that would ultimately succeed or fail, despite having played more than a thousand hours of Skyrim over the last decade.

In the end of the day, you probably can't please everyone. You probably have to try all the same. Myself, I didn't particularly like Ori 2, and that was a very unique attempt to address that exact deficiency I'd argue.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2022

In the morass of human consciousness that is Reddit, which I really shouldn't be visiting anyway, someone shared the interesting achievement tracking statistic: only two-thirds of people who loaded up Deathloop since it came to Xbox Game Pass completed the tutorial. Of course, for this to work we have to allow for the achievement to be activating correctly, but I haven't heard to the contrary myself.

For contrast, that number is around 86% of Playstation players (which perhaps still isn't as high as one might expect). Even before Deathloop was announced as coming to Xbox Game Pass, I got the impression--maybe incorrectly--that as a game it had its moment in the spotlight before being replaced (given that it had to compete with the regular pace of singleplayer Playstation releases, some of which were very high-profile), and that the current spike in interest is the natural outcome of an exclusive coming to a different platform. I wonder if that percentage tracking doesn't reflect an initial excitement to try the game, but not a lot of interest to stick with it.

I played a few hours myself; I thought it might be fun to write a mini-review, but aside from drawing comparisons between running the game on Xbox Series X, on a high(ish)-end gaming PC, and over cloud streaming, I didn't think I'd have very much to say besides "The shooting is passable, but doesn't compare well to other FPS titles focused on gunplay and with polished mechanics, including those from Bethesda; what will stick with me is the extremely entertaining voiceover performances." Probably everyone else has a way better impression of the game than I do by virtue of playing it on PC and PS5 already.

I wonder how much of that discrepancy can be explained away by Deathloop only being available on streaming for those of us still using Xbox One (or One X in my case) consoles. I know I was a bit ambivalent about the game beforehand, but played the first bit on streaming (can't honestly remember if that was beyond that point in the game). I got two big takeaways from it - a) I liked the game, and b) the input lag on Xbox's streaming on a game of that ilk is enough to throw off my ability to aim completely, so I was not going to continue to play it through this method.

Thankfully the game hit Humble Choice this month so I now have it on PC, where I can happily play it without the streaming input lag... and even on my Steam Deck too where it's a verified title.

Very early and extremely minor spoiler about an achievement in Deathloop:
    Enter 0451 on the first keypad for an achievement. It won't, however, unlock the door. A neat little subversion of a classic immersive sim trope. Well, it made me laugh.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

I wonder how much of that discrepancy can be explained away by Deathloop only being available on streaming for those of us still using Xbox One (or One X in my case) consoles. I know I was a bit ambivalent about the game beforehand, but played the first bit on streaming (can't honestly remember if that was beyond that point in the game). I got two big takeaways from it - a) I liked the game, and b) the input lag on Xbox's streaming on a game of that ilk is enough to throw off my ability to aim completely, so I was not going to continue to play it through this method.

Thankfully the game hit Humble Choice this month so I now have it on PC, where I can happily play it without the streaming input lag... and even on my Steam Deck too where it's a verified title.

Very early and extremely minor spoiler about an achievement in Deathloop:
    Enter 0451 on the first keypad for an achievement. It won't, however, unlock the door. A neat little subversion of a classic immersive sim trope. Well, it made me laugh.

I find it very hard to speculate how many people are actively streaming a game like this that straight-up isn't available for the last generation of consoles (which still represents a large majority of the in-use hardware, with >50 million Xbox One units sold in the last decade). Even on its face, I'm not entirely convinced it's a "next generation shooter", but that's as much Arkane's style as a more tech-conservative developer; if you put it up against something like Bright Memory Infinite, which is one degree of separation removed from "a fantasy first-person shooter literally made by one person," I'd say the later looks much more like a "next generation shooter", but it's an unfair comparison too.

So that could be it. On the other hand, I really didn't think Deathloop demanded you be that precise, picking off snap-second head shots in the way something like Call of Duty, Doom or Halo would. I think you kind of just grind through the enemies through the game's stealth mechanics until you get to the next dialogue scene, which is the real draw of the game.

I'm probably playing the game completely wrong.
    That's brilliant, I'm going to use that to get the Xbox Rewards bonus for getting an achievement in Deathloop because apparently I got the handful of easy ones already. :D )

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Is that a specific reference to something?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    [.I also hesitate to give them a W for something like Pyschonauts 2 which was backed by crowdfunding and would have likely been excellent with or without MS

Doublefine has struggled with financing since its inception. They've flat out said Psychonauts 2 would not have been as good as it was, releasing earlier and with stuff cut from the game, if not for Microsoft buying them and basically opening their wallet for Schafer and company.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Edit holy double post Batman!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I also don't think Obisidian makes Grounded if not for Microsoft being there. That game is a huge leap from their usual ouevre and they totally knock it out of the park in a way that other people who make survival games should take note.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    [.I also hesitate to give them a W for something like Pyschonauts 2 which was backed by crowdfunding and would have likely been excellent with or without MS

Doublefine has struggled with financing since its inception. They've flat out said Psychonauts 2 would not have been as good as it was, releasing earlier and with stuff cut from the game, if not for Microsoft buying them and basically opening their wallet for Schafer and company.

That's excellent, which begs the question why isn't the same thing being done for their flagship franchise I guess

I'm not even particularly asking them to change anything other than use the already available Early Access tag to let folks know they aren't getting a complete product. Especially with stuff like sliding back on promises with regards to Halo and such

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Preacher wrote: »
    I also don't think Obisidian makes Grounded if not for Microsoft being there. That game is a huge leap from their usual ouevre and they totally knock it out of the park in a way that other people who make survival games should take note.

And I'm willing to give that game another shot because when I first played it in Early Access it was so barebones I immediately uninstalled. But I knew that might happen hence why I'm frustrated with stuff like Halo and Crackdown which misled me into thinking it was a complete package

I waited months to play halo infinite campaign and still haven't touched it because they broke their promise on co-op so I guess I'll never experience the game how I wanted to, which sours my whole experience

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    That's why I waited for release. The building was there in grounded, but the drive to do it wasn't. Now the game has both, super cool building, an inviting world, and a story for the player to want to engage with both.

I am 100% not joking when I say its my favorite Obsidian game.

Though I will warn people 100% grounded is hard. Even on normal you'll die a freaking lot, I support people save scumming the shit out of things because there are some boss fights and scenarios in solo play that will make you want to punch a wall.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    That's why I waited for release. The building was there in grounded, but the drive to do it wasn't. Now the game has both, super cool building, an inviting world, and a story for the player to want to engage with both.

I am 100% not joking when I say its my favorite Obsidian game.

Very cool of Microsoft to let us know in that one, specific instance to come back later.

Another good example is PUBG which launched in a piss poor state on Xbox but I still enjoyed it because again, they told me this is Early Access and will get better later on. I suffered a very bad client to enjoy the game knowing my time wouldn't be wasted.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I'm still Team Thorton.

But then I'm still waiting for the sequel to Freedom Fightets. So, yeah.

• Options

That's excellent, which begs the question why isn't the same thing being done for their flagship franchise I guess

Nothing about Halo Infinite suggests that it was budget constrained. The problem there appears to be mismanagement. You can have all the money in the world (and they do, it's Microsoft) but that doesn't mean you're going to automatically make a good game.

As for 343, I'm still of the mind that the problem is that Microsoft is still too hands off with their studios. We've heard about it with the hostile working conditions at Undead Labs, and 343 has had all sorts of mismanagement since it's inception. IMO, this is Microsoft being skittish about directly interfering with one of their studios after the shitshow they went through in the late 360, early One era.

343 recently saw some management changes, hopefully that's the first step in the right direction.

• Options

Grounded was in development before the aquistion, IIRC.

• Options
    Not to take away from the intense industry navel gazing, but Target is offering a Series S, bundled with an additional controller, for $250 if anyone is looking for one.

• Options

That feels really surprising. But man good on their team.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Bringin' reciepts.
    Following the release of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, the team at Obsidian Entertainment began brainstorming ideas for a survival game. While the majority of the staff in Obsidian worked on The Outer Worlds, a small team of 13 people began the production of Grounded. The game was already in production before Microsoft's acquisition of Obsidian in 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grounded_(video_game)

Edit: Though depending on when talks started, they may have known the acquisition was coming when they greenlit the project, so *shrug*

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

Bringin' reciepts.
    Following the release of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, the team at Obsidian Entertainment began brainstorming ideas for a survival game. While the majority of the staff in Obsidian worked on The Outer Worlds, a small team of 13 people began the production of Grounded. The game was already in production before Microsoft's acquisition of Obsidian in 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grounded_(video_game)

Edit: Though depending on when talks started, they may have known the acquisition was coming when they greenlit the project, so *shrug*

That's still cool though. Like I'm glad the management was ok with them doing that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm really curious how Infinite would be doing right now had they delayed the game again or atleast done Early Access; steam charts puts it at 3k players these days which is a far cry from the 100k around launch. That's pretty bad for the franchise that made Xbox what it is