As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Webcomics] are Stories

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    qm2a6rswh16z.png
    Questionable Content

A perfectly normal sign to not worry about in the background.

The punchline reminds me of a bunch of examples of people so poisoned by online interactions they've forgotten normal words. Like someone online asking "Y'all ever have mutuals in real life?" and then someone replies, "...you mean friends?"

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    god Wilbur could be hiding in so many places in these last few strips

in the kitchen
    behind the bushes
    under a car
    in our hearts

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    The Wilbur In Your Heart is an alien parasite, please report to station quarantine as soon as possible

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    "Superheated gas may vent at any time" is kind of an overwrought way of saying "warning: steam" IMO.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Alternate joke: Technically, we're always surrounded by superheated gas. We'd be very unhappy if our air wasn't superheated.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    One time at work the control room didn't announce they were going to vent some steam and I happened to be on the roof standing like 5 feet from the vent without earplugs in. It was like being stabbed in the fuckin eardrum, it hurt so bad and my ears rang for a good while (mostly the left ear that was pointed towards it, but even the right one did too).

The ops guys I had let into a door came outside and were like, "Did that just go off?" and I yelled, "What the fuck do you think?" They called the control room and the guy that answered in there was like, "lol oh yeah, we're gonna be venting steam, you should get off the roof." Yeah, no shit asshole

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Steam leaks are the fucking worst, they're loud as shit and aren't really much of a priority because fixing them usually involves either shutting down something more important than "losing a bit of water and energy" or getting a crew to work next to an active, loud as shit steam leak to do some sort of hot work that isn't very valuable unless you get a ton of steam leaks knocked out all at once.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    god Wilbur could be hiding in so many places in these last few strips

in the kitchen
    behind the bushes
    under a car
    in our hearts

Like he can fit under a car and behind the bushes is his preferred method of observation
    plsoh3cngtql.jpg

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    "Superheated gas may vent at any time" is kind of an overwrought way of saying "warning: steam" IMO.

isn't superheated steam somewhat distinct from your typical everyday saturated steam, what with it being drier and less prone to condensation and whatnot due to its increased temperature

but yeah really it's just saying "hey, we're running a closed boiler system and occasionally venting >100C steam here, watch out"

...I guess the implication might also be that it's superheated gases other than steam or hot air which, uh, the non-specificity is somewhat worrying I guess

• Options
    Neveron wrote: »

isn't superheated steam somewhat distinct from your typical everyday saturated steam, what with it being drier and less prone to condensation and whatnot due to its increased temperature

but yeah really it's just saying "hey, we're running a closed boiler system and occasionally venting >100C steam here, watch out"

...I guess the implication might also be that it's superheated gases other than steam or hot air which, uh, the non-specificity is somewhat worrying I guess

Superheated steam has distinct characteristics that make it more difficult to generate and more or less useful depending on the situation, but those distinctions and the general utility of steam are why it's by far the most commonly described material as "superheated", and for the purposes of personnel safety steam venting is steam venting.

Also, to be pedantic, it doesn't have to be hot air to be superheated. Air in the coldest part of the world, right now, is superheated, because superheated just means "above the boiling point", and earth usually doesn't get cold enough to liquify oxygen and nitrogen (source: polar bears don't swim through the air in winter).

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2023

I have this written across my booty shorts

Quantum Tiger on
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Meg's really trying to get as much work out of figuring out how to draw a deer skull as possible.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Alternate joke: Technically, we're always surrounded by superheated gas. We'd be very unhappy if our air wasn't superheated.

what exactly is the line between "heated" and "superheated"?

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

It's the difference between gas that's at its boiling point, so for water 100C etc., and gas that's been heated beyond its boiling point

the relevant bit when it comes to steam is that typically you're just heating the water and letting the steam escape, so it never gets heated beyond 100C and tends to be "wet" with lots of condensation as it gets cooled even slightly.
    but if you boil it up inside a closed container where it can't escape, you start heating the steam beyond 100C and you get "dry" steam that won't condense on your turbines and rust them and whatnot

meanwhile, for oxygen, anything above -182.962C is superheated

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Oxygen, the great destroyer.

(Water, for that matter, is pretty scary stuff - or would be, if we weren't ourselves made of it and other things dissolved in it.)

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    First up rename it BK pop and get a sponsorship.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    Since this is bad machinery, do we think she's under a spell of some sort? or just puppy love.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

A solid is a substance normal form. A liquid- is a super substance. And a gas- is a super substance mark 2. And to be superheated.. is to go... even further beyond~ HAAAAGH!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    a6dssif43uzz.jpg
    Penny Arcade

Ouch. Also, accurate.

• Options
    ybjq9js0t48l.jpg
    Gunnerkrigg Court

Ouch. Also accurate.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    https://xkcd.com/1838/

This xkcd seems relevant now.

• Options
    Since this is bad machinery, do we think she's under a spell of some sort? or just puppy love.

I think shes under the spell of the enthused himbo. Lottie's afraid of success and latching on to obvious bad udeas being pitched by a very dumb very pretty boy

• Options
  • Options
    pwnfz9gq0arm.png
    Questionable Content

Well, Cubetown should hire someone whose job is to know everything. It would save a lot of time.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

I think shes under the spell of the enthused himbo. Lottie's afraid of success and latching on to obvious bad udeas being pitched by a very dumb very pretty boy

also lottie's still a teen, himbo love got her going gaga

just look at that svelte physique, that faint aroma of Lindt chocolates, the shine coming off that moussed hair

who wouldn't swoon

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    f4dnd0whal2l.jpg
    Atomic Robo

A fate worse than death. Also the incorporeal thing.

• Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    Dr Dinosaur continues to be my all-time favorite character in webcomics.

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular

just look at that svelte physique, that faint aroma of Lindt chocolates, the shine coming off that moussed hair

who wouldn't swoon

also this isn’t bad machinery, i don’t know that any supernatural stuff is gonna happen to lottie and gang unless they go back to the steeple town

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

who wouldn't swoon

All true, except he's an "Options" salesperson so it's more like chocolate-adjacent scents wafting from him.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    pwnfz9gq0arm.png
    Questionable Content

Well, Cubetown should hire someone whose job is to know everything. It would save a lot of time.

I'm coming back around on Cubetown.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited February 2023

Lottie is of the same age or younger as her idol, Esther, was during Giant Days. Giant Days is largely a series of the hilarious romantic mistakes of Esther, so... yeah.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Ain't nothing wrong with loving a himbo or two

Lord knows I'd like one right now

• Options
    Ain't nothing wrong with loving a himbo or two

Lord knows I'd like one right now

I think we all would

This discussion has been closed.