Options

"Honey, I [Grounded] The Kids!"

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Zavian wrote: »
    yea I wish they had more options for dealing with spiders early/mid game, something like a sound emitter or whatever to build at your base that disables spawns/keeps them from patrolling unless aggro'd into the area

I will say it definitely felt like Wolf spiders early on don't swing by or patrol as often as they do now. Now that I can anime carve them into bits (though god help me if its an infected, those are still the height of bullshit). I wonder if there is some kind of "Player has hit this item level we can unleash some bullshit" levels out there. Like Regular wolfies used to sleep in the daytime, now they fucking dont.

It's a number of nights spent in the yard thing.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I adore this game.

But it's also brutally difficult for me. I am not good at timing in battles. And I've started a new game since 1.0, but back about a year or so ago I played it a bunch and was able to reliable take down ladybugs, bees, mosquitos and orb weavers. But could never, ever defeat a wolf spider.

And now I feel like either I'm a bit dumber, or the game was made a bit harder. I can't kill mosquitos or orb weavers. And I've been able to take down one ladybug, but every other attempt kills me.

Sigh.

I don't want to put it on the easiest difficulty, but I think I probably should.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I adore this game.

But it's also brutally difficult for me. I am not good at timing in battles. And I've started a new game since 1.0, but back about a year or so ago I played it a bunch and was able to reliable take down ladybugs, bees, mosquitos and orb weavers. But could never, ever defeat a wolf spider.

And now I feel like either I'm a bit dumber, or the game was made a bit harder. I can't kill mosquitos or orb weavers. And I've been able to take down one ladybug, but every other attempt kills me.

Sigh.

I don't want to put it on the easiest difficulty, but I think I probably should.

I find that using a shield and tier II weapon is pretty much essential for mosquitos/orb weavers/ladybugs, as well as upgraded armor (preferably ladybug). there's definitely big difficulty steps, like I tried going to the overturned grill and got my butt handed to me by roly polys and the larva there even with upgraded tier II weapon/armor. I'm guessing I need to head to the sandbox first and do the black ant lab, upper lawn seems very level/gear gated

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Be sure to be exploiting the right weapon type against does as it really does make a difference. I thought ladybugs were ridiculously tanky until I used the red ant club.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Be sure to be exploiting the right weapon type against does as it really does make a difference. I thought ladybugs were ridiculously tanky until I used the red ant club.

Yeah peep targets, work against their weakness, if you aren't great at perfect blocks, shield is still solid and there are options for good one handers. Also don't sleep on using ranged and running away/getting mobs stuck on shit. My first kills on wolf spiders involved creative decisions to be in a place they couldn't get to me.

There is no shame in exploiting these bugs NO SHAME!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Wait, bugs have weaknesses to weapon types?!?

Next you'll tell me there's a way to have the map tell you where the hell the 'Toad Swamp' etc is.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Wait, bugs have weaknesses to weapon types?!?

Next you'll tell me there's a way to have the map tell you where the hell the 'Toad Swamp' etc is.

Well the map thing probably not unless there was a point of interest marked there. Though they did release the update to have points of interest actually unlock more now.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Damn. Not even the online maps seem to indicate areas, they all just copy the less than ideal in-game one and don't fill in area names. Where do you even learn the area name of a place? The quest log just says go there.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    There are vague descriptions for the POI missions amd you can kinda guess based on the outline of some of the map. Lastly when you get close it will have an icon pop up to construct the marker.

Note the extra description is when accepting the mission initially, dunno if it pops in quest log.

Toad swamp location
    south east before the hedge is a watery swamp area where you'll find the toad action figure Rash to place the market

Karoz on
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Damn. Not even the online maps seem to indicate areas, they all just copy the less than ideal in-game one and don't fill in area names. Where do you even learn the area name of a place? The quest log just says go there.

Most areas are kind of named for what the one prominent area is. Like the hedge is obviously under the hedge, the "uplands" is where you literally have to go up on the map to reach them. Picnic table etc.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Toad swamp is also a hilarious easter egg you'll know why its named that when you find it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Can someone provide tips for building vertically? This is my first time playing a game like this, so I'm not entirely sure. Can I build walls up and then add a scaffold on the 3rd/4th floor for walking out?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Can someone provide tips for building vertically? This is my first time playing a game like this, so I'm not entirely sure. Can I build walls up and then add a scaffold on the 3rd/4th floor for walking out?

As long as something is supported you can build up. You can use "floors" as ceilings and places to build from. This game is incredibly kind with building on things. Like lets say you built a wall two stories up, you can build a floor between those walls without any other supporting structure. The only limitation is you have to be able to "reach" the thing you are building on. But you can jump on top of stuff to do that, like jump on your work bench to reach higher

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Zavian or someone else would have to answer and it may be dependent on a custom setting to boot but as long as it is attached to a built structure it seems to be fine.

• Options
    Like I built the bridge of stupid across the pond. Its just one clover tile roof attached to a metric fuck ton of grass floor, and nothing else supporting this indulgence of mans hubris.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I wish clay wasn't a half a meter away from your starting location. I'm trying to smooth out my base foundation but It's a long walk with a lot of spiders in between

Carpy on
  • Options
    Clay is at least good in that it can be kept in your inventory and you don't have to run it back on your shoulder.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The one annoyance right now is that I can’t seem to stack 2 grass stairs up to my base. Might be due to the hole in the ground geometry. Also why I can’t repair walls and such.

I did build a floating bridge to the baseball. I still have it as my respawn in case a spider destroys my base, i’ll be a bit off to the side safe.

Another question, do bugs attack light sources? I have some outside my base so i can see at night.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2022

If you want a cheap spiral, that you can walk up yourself, a set of stairs and a grass floor connected in continuing spiral around each other, i.e.: stairs1 -> floor1 -> floor2 -> stairs2 on floor2, rotated 90 degree. With this you can build up as high as you want, and also build off the floors and stairs to build dedicated levels.
    Also why I can’t repair walls and such.

There's a tool for that.
    Another question, do bugs attack light sources? I have some outside my base so i can see at night.

Bugs will not attack structures outside of Payback or indirectly through an attack while in combat. So lights, bases, grass walls closing off areas so you can control enemies pathing, trailmarkers - all of that will be left alone by bugs.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    I wish clay wasn't a half a meter away from your starting location. I'm trying to smooth out my base foundation but It's a long walk with a lot of spiders in between

If you are near the pond and have some diving gear, some amount of clay can be found in the depths

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

Yeah, Im using the red any club, but it's a two hander so can't use a shield with it. I'm in grub armor atm and have to hill some ladybugs to get ladybug armor. I'll get there

I will say that I've tried to use terrain or buildings to exploit bug movement and it always results in the running away and resetting.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

Yeah, Im using the red any club, but it's a two hander so can't use a shield with it. I'm in grub armor atm and have to hill some ladybugs to get ladybug armor. I'll get there

I will say that I've tried to use terrain or buildings to exploit bug movement and it always results in the running away and resetting.

Lady bugs I found are easier to fight on even ground, makes it easier to see their tells. Wolf spiders are super easy to get stuck in places, but its a feast or famine situation, if they are stuck and you can kill them great, if they get free you're fucked, at least early on before you can cut them to shreds in two combos.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Spike strips are something I need to check out.

Also don't underestimate crafting a bunch of pebblet spears to hurl at a more dangerous bug. IIRC stink bugs are nice and vulnerable.

But I get not wanting to give up shield/offhand, but trust me by the first few swings I was laughing at how much health I was taking off.

Remember you can't dodge but you can sprint in any direction so provoking an attack, getting out of the way and getting in more hits is viable as well.

Also keep in mind the weight of your armor determines the stamina use per swing of your weapons. Stamina management is very important and is quickly exhausted with 2h.

• Options
    Another dumb question, what do foundations do? I'm building my tower starting with stem scaffold.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Another dumb question, what do foundations do? I'm building my tower starting with stem scaffold.

Foundations are just a way to make a level building surface/elevating your building off the ground. Or in the case of building on a cliff, literally building on nothing.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    So in Ark, there's a neat feature where once you place a structure it creates a non spawning zone around it, so a tree won't grow through your house or a raptor spawn stuck in your shed.

I built a nice fortified area under the overhang up by the house and slapped down some creating stations when I found out that this doesn't happen in Grounded. You will 100% wake up in bed with a wolf spider sleeping on top of you.

Hevach on
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    I’m playing on pc and the Gamepass version. There is no issue playing with friends if they have the game on Steam I hope?

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    you can easily make a vertical tower using just grass steps and grass building tools and no scaffolds, but if you get a flying insect horde attack or if a ground bug attacks the base, it will collapse like a house of cards. personally, I like to have scaffolds on the corners and the acorn spiral stairs in the middle and with sturdy walls, so it would take a lot to actually down my tower. I also put a grass wall around it with spike strips on it, and a pebble turret on top

also, base location is very important. I used the first tent you find which has a really nice cliff next to it where no insects spawn/patrol. I've never had any bugs spawn in my base, and I put down pebble foundations to cut back on plant growth. Ever since I put the grass wall with spikes around, even the ants don't get close. Make sure to use large rocks/objects to get some elevation/avoid ground bugs
    Lind wrote: »
    I’m playing on pc and the Gamepass version. There is no issue playing with friends if they have the game on Steam I hope?

yes, it requires an Xbox account even on Steam and uses your Xbox ID in-game, not Steam unfortunately (I have a super lame randomly generated xbox name), so crossplay should be fine (although I haven't tested crossplay myself)

Zavian on
  • Options
    Yeah I'm wondering if it's better to replace my lowest level with better walls or upgrade the mini wall I have around my tower. Maybe both haha. But then I've yet to have a bug attack and most of my damage is from me accidentally hitting pieces. I'm on medium so maybe they are less aggressive.

• Options
    Jesus this last fucking battle is god damn murder. I'm on fucking normal and these waves are the height of six bullshits. A docdecahedron of bullshit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    -
    Yeah I'm wondering if it's better to replace my lowest level with better walls or upgrade the mini wall I have around my tower. Maybe both haha. But then I've yet to have a bug attack and most of my damage is from me accidentally hitting pieces. I'm on medium so maybe they are less aggressive.

they don't start doing horde attacks until you kill enough of them, for example if you're near the red ant hill, and kill enough red ants, you'll get text notifications like "the red ants want you gone" until eventually the horde attack triggers

• Options
    Why are there an invisible walls on top of stone dividers to places you can otherwise get to by going around! Spent too much time watching a latter set itself out of place after being aligned only to find out you can't go up there for no reason. Or maybe it was a height limit, though the jump worked to go higher, just hit an invisible wall...

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Superquit is the most satisfying menu option ever. Because it feels very rag quity and final, but it also makes sure to refresh your save for you for when you calm down.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Any suggestions for the gaps here? Weirdly it's 2 walls joining. I would have imagine they'd be the opposite walls due to length or something.

fcefokklyusi.jpeg

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Spun up a fresh save for 1.0 (Medium, no item durability, no bag dropping), I am currently in that awkward point where I need to kill some bugs that are a pain to kill with t1 gear in order to get t2 gear.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    I read that the spider cocoons have parts from lady bugs and what not so that’s the way I’m trying to upgrade my tier 1 stuff

• Options
    Seriously don't sleep on a small payload of peblet spears, when tossed they can do a good chunk of damage.

Other way is getting red ant armor and luring a bigger bug into the red ant nest.

• Options
    Any suggestions for the gaps here? Weirdly it's 2 walls joining. I would have imagine they'd be the opposite walls due to length or something.

fcefokklyusi.jpeg

Make the base a bit wider so a normal pieces fit? :)

• Options
    almost finished with my Wolf Spider Death Pit Trap, where I'm going to try to lure a wolf spider in then hop up on the turret that I still need to finish, and hopefully cheese the fuck out of them. no idea if this will actually work though

M95ZP75.jpg

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I feel like you want to make the walls out of stems rather than grass so it is sturdier, but also I have no clue how that spider is going to react to the cage

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt