Options

"Honey, I [Grounded] The Kids!"

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I feel like you want to make the walls out of stems rather than grass so it is sturdier, but also I have no clue how that spider is going to react to the cage

yeah I'm going to see if the spider just goes straight for the turret and doesn't try to pathfind around, I had to lower the turret down a level as well since it can't aim down well

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I started over on easy with durability off and am having a much nicer time. Still dreading anything spider related but just having a pile of spears that I huck at everything is nice.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Yay! It ain't inventory efficient but it sure is effective

• Options
    Kills ants in one hit so they don't got time to get mad at me even!

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    apparently Black Ant armor doesn't have the same effect as Red Ant armor in that it doesn't make black ant soldiers passive. that's pretty lame, but glad I found that out before crafting

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I DID IT!!! Game over!

Without spoiling the end fight my suggestion, build more than you expect, build way way more than you expect. I think I built with at least 400? Bricks of mushroom on successful completion. And the Breathmint mace of Justice is a good all around to have ready for it.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Nevermind. Make a base right at the starting area, day 2 wolf spider walks through and kills me and won't leave. Fuck this game.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    @Aistan Go into the options and set it so you can kill the spider and/or death doesn't matter or whatever. The spider should piss off eventually, though.

Or just move on. Deathloop is annoying me lately and ready to toss it aside. But Grounded has a much better design to get around problems.

• Options
    My gamepass expires in two days anyway so i'm not really bothered. It was fun enough but probably only a thing that'd grab me if I played with other people.

• Options
    MegatinMegatin Registered User regular
    Custom Game Settings that cannot be changed mid-game have icons next to them to signify this status when starting a Custom Game.
    On the one hand, this is nice. On the other hand... just let me change them mid-game! By the time I realized I wanted to turn off corpse runs, I was too deep into the game to want to restart.
    Now I just save right before I fight something, and reload and run away if Idie. It feels pretty cheap, but the thought of potentially being unable to retrieve my stuff made me not want to play otherwise.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Aistan wrote: »
    Nevermind. Make a base right at the starting area, day 2 wolf spider walks through and kills me and won't leave. Fuck this game.

Sounds like you're trying to respawn right where the spider is. Before I had walls up, it is what I did as well. With walls and no line of sight all bugs should despawn; they definitely will if you respawn at the Kid Case instead of your lean-to (assuming that's what you had built).

. . .in terms of overall difficulty: the Wolf Spiders are not meant to be casual threats even, I believe, on lower difficulties. You also kind of have to accept that you're going to die to most bug encounters early on as you don't really have any survivability. I'd say, unless you've got Tier 2 armor and weapons (leveled up to at least level 3 I'd say), most early game is going to be a fight for dominance. . .and a scrappy one at that. Given that there is no experience gains in the game, the only reason to engage in combat before you're built up for it is if you really, REALLY need some items for building out your initial base.

Initially, I had the exact same experience, expecting enemies that the game presented before me to be engageable realistically. When I couldn't I got frustrated. As soon as I slowed it down and started to think about my options, I was able to start enjoying the game on its terms. Now when I run up against a situation I don't seem to be able to handle, I don't try and brute force my way through and instead just hang back and explore elsewhere to see if I can get something that'll help.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    T2 hammer get, time to see if I can remember where all I've spotted milk molars.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Ok, fuck bees. Finally managed to tag one with a spear and got swarmed by three more out of nowhere.

Quite a hurdle getting into tier 2 tech, and I'm already running into places where that doesn't feel like it'll be enough without a ton of upgrading. Really liking my little lakeside villa by the pond, everything seems to leave me alone and have good access to base building resources, but bug parts and berries are an expedition every time.

Hevach on
  • Options
    T2 hammer get, time to see if I can remember where all I've spotted milk molars.

They should be added to the map as you find them.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

They should be added to the map as you find them.

I think the game incentives using the markers they can be built in most places and are relatively cheap.

I forget if you can just make map markers.

Still yeah would be nice for them to be automatically added.

Note there are some under water but since you can't use the hammer underwater the core will be floating there or behind tangled weeds that need a tier 2 knife to get through.

Really recommend checking out the pond relatively early though not knowing what the resources look like, keeping track of foes and small breath bar do make it stressful.

• Options
    You can make trail markers, but just with icons and if you don't know where you are it's just a marker to go back to if you forget what it means.

Let us write notes to ourselves!

• Options
    edited October 2022
    ED! wrote: »

Sounds like you're trying to respawn right where the spider is. Before I had walls up, it is what I did as well. With walls and no line of sight all bugs should despawn; they definitely will if you respawn at the Kid Case instead of your lean-to (assuming that's what you had built).

. . .in terms of overall difficulty: the Wolf Spiders are not meant to be casual threats even, I believe, on lower difficulties. You also kind of have to accept that you're going to die to most bug encounters early on as you don't really have any survivability. I'd say, unless you've got Tier 2 armor and weapons (leveled up to at least level 3 I'd say), most early game is going to be a fight for dominance. . .and a scrappy one at that. Given that there is no experience gains in the game, the only reason to engage in combat before you're built up for it is if you really, REALLY need some items for building out your initial base.

Initially, I had the exact same experience, expecting enemies that the game presented before me to be engageable realistically. When I couldn't I got frustrated. As soon as I slowed it down and started to think about my options, I was able to start enjoying the game on its terms. Now when I run up against a situation I don't seem to be able to handle, I don't try and brute force my way through and instead just hang back and explore elsewhere to see if I can get something that'll help.

Literally the first research dome thing. Walls around it and everything, it just walzed through multiple times on the second night and I couldn't get anything done. Alternative was going off exploring with no equipment while it just made my base unusable. I uninstalled instead.

Aistan on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Literally the first research dome thing. Walls around it and everything, it just walzed through multiple times on the second night and I couldn't get anything done. Alternative was going off exploring with no equipment while it just made my base unusable. I uninstalled instead.

Yeah, in that situation I would have built another lean-to and just reset the day, especially that early during night time (I slept the first couple of days through the night).

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if many people in this thread had a similar event happen to them (mine involved the Red Ants and a Wolf Spider putting me on a deathloop) and possibly gotten discouraged - though the Spider making it through your walls sounds like a glitch and not a feature.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    I had a orb weaver jr set up on my base near the first research station, only got him down by cheesing him in the research station. I get that's frustrating.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I've found anything in the grass will eventually attract something, and I've never figured out how to perch something on top of the baseball like I've seen people do.

Along the pond there's a couple empty areas. The side towards the picnic table is full of mosquitos but for some reason the opposite end I never see them. There's orb weavers up by the fence and wolf spiders around the oak tree, but almost nothing crosses the big dead patch except aphids, making a nice area from the juice box to the retaining wall where you can build on the flat stones and the only dangerous things around are underwater.

Downside is that aside from weed stems there's not a lot of resources so even grass and sprigs means a goddamn expedition.

Hevach on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I didn't play this game in beta so it comes across as hard to me and there isn't really much interesting dialogue I'd expect from an Obsidian game? Or much story or any markers. Getting to the hedge lab was a pain in the ass. You eventually stumble on somethnig which is an obvious starting point but even up in the branches you can fall off and have to start over and it's still not very clear which way to go.

Plus levelling up seems to be restricted to these molars or mutations as armor and weapons don't do much against the big guys. It's a frustrating setup.

I've stuck more to the base building (which is itself difficult due to high cost of higher level stuff like pebble bases and even weed stems for walls. I am however realizing that there are no markers and such but I can build wherever and do whatever. I couldn't get around the grill so I built a ladder from the pond side up to the higher level. Took ages, building a few flat platforms for me to jump to so I could carry the weed stems up, but it's sset in place now and I set up a zipline, although I've also seen a video of a guy who built a tower full of bouncy web things to speed that up which is interesting.

• Options
    You using a shield, Alpha? Weevil shield makes combat a lot easier, they except you to block. Sounds like you're at the point were you should be able to handle spiders 1 on 1 more or less if not easily.

Levelling up is also tied to killing/collecting new things, collecting Raw Science and making better equipment.

There's not much dialogue in the game it seems, mainly from collectables.

The map while full of indicators is less than ideal. And quests don't point you to where to start to get to anywhere even, as you discovered with the hedge lab.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Quartzite and marble helps immensely once you can build a smithing station. You can find some pieces in the oak lab, and there's nodes around the trees. Once you have red ant armor you can collect it safely all over the red anthills.

With a few truck loads of each ladybug armor and tier 2 weapons can handle wolf spiders no problem.

This is even less documented than most stuff in the game because when you do find either item, they don't scan to unlock recipes, you can just start using them off the bat.

It's definitely a step up from tier 2 enemies to tier 3, and it's a lot of grind to get ahead of the game with teir 2 gear, but there is a path forward once you figure out what things are for.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Is there a wiki or something that lists 'tiers'? Not sure I understand where the line is.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Next to equipment it'll have a number 1-3. For axes and hammers the number signifies what resource they can damage up to.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Is there a wiki or something that lists 'tiers'? Not sure I understand where the line is.

Complete list of tools and their tiers but has big spoilers.

Karoz on
  • Options
    Thanks. I don't need to dig too deep, just curious. Wasn't sure if there were science upgrades that locked them or just bug parts. Looks like they are just bug parts.

Speaking of science,
    I got the multi-story one, what's a good next unlock? I could use some way to heal up faster, right now the bandages are slow as heck, so if I get hit a couple times, I just have to run. Not sure if Cooking 101 would help with that. Also maybe unlocking it gets the drops you need? I've killed a ton of grubs but I've not seen a head drop. Maybe you have to unlock cooking for it?

The Pebblet Foundation seems advanced for this stage of the game. Same with Fortified Bases though Palisade seems nice if bugs start attacking. Or I could wait till Hedge lab stuff. Given I have a tower going, someone else here mentioned ziplines being useful.

• Options
    Bug roasts give way more healing than bandages in a pinch but are 1 per slot so can take up a lot of space.
    Smoothies heal more and I believe can be stacked to 5 but lack the heal over time of both bandages and meals.
    You can unlock tech to make bandages way cheaper but other than the heal buff, it is better to have roasts on hand if you can.

I don't think grub heads are a thing.

• Options
    I was mixing up Grubs and Larva haha.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I should probably fortify my house, I have been getting increasingly ominous messages about various flavors of bug not being a fan of me. It's just a humble little open-top shack nestled between a juice box and the koi pond.

Gear I am currently sitting pretty solid, mosquito stick, crossbow, koi armor, upgraded as far as brittle materials can get it. Pondering if I wanna progress the labs I'm familiar with from prior runs or go on a molar hunt. I know there's a bunch back in the hedge.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    Anyone know if brittle upgrade and by extension all upgrade material respawns? On one hand I like upgrading but on the other don't to screw myself or buds playing by being willy nilly with upgrades

• Options
    edited October 2022
    I have not extensively researched, I believe the actual bustable rocks do not respawn, but you can find recipes to craft the materials out of bug bits.

:Edit: this is based entirely on researching burg.l chip unlocks and noticing some options being flagged (limited)

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    -
    Karoz wrote: »
    Anyone know if brittle upgrade and by extension all upgrade material respawns? On one hand I like upgrading but on the other don't to screw myself or buds playing by being willy nilly with upgrades

they don't, but I've found there's a ton of brittle available in the lower yard, way more than enough for a solo player and I'm assuming enough for four players

• Options
    edited October 2022
    I have not extensively researched, I believe the actual bustable rocks do not respawn, but you can find recipes to craft the materials out of bug bits.

:Edit: this is based entirely on researching burg.l chip unlocks and noticing some options being flagged (limited)

There are recipes for all the weapon/armor upgrade stones to have a Farmable bug component. Though to get tier 3 mats get ready for a fight to unlock it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Whetstones with sap and larva spikes, plating with sap and grub hide.

Not as easy as the blocks but still effectively infinite. And there are a lot of blocks, I've got a chest full of stockpile just out of the two red anthills, there's more in the haze and the raised parts of the yard I haven't touched.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I am using a shield and I've unlocked some armors. I think the downside is that most of the armors don't look particularly great, and their stats are pretty brief. There are some unique skills that come with a full set I've noticed. I think my expectations just weren't alligned with what the game is, I expected an Obsidian game with lore and meaningful choices, but the story is pretty barebones. I assume it's more of a low budget smaller project? It seems like the idea is more about the survival aspect, which is fine, but I'd be happier if I could level up and definitively know my strength rather than finding out when something one shots me.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    Whetstones with sap and larva spikes, plating with sap and grub hide.

Not as easy as the blocks but still effectively infinite. And there are a lot of blocks, I've got a chest full of stockpile just out of the two red anthills, there's more in the haze and the raised parts of the yard I haven't touched.

What I appreciate is every tier of upgrade stones drops brittles. Because you still need brittles to level up your previous pieces.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I don't know if it was low budget, but it is way outside their wheelhouse. It's a game in the genre as Minecraft, Ark, Subnautica, etc, not a story driven RPG like made them famous.

• Options
    I mean its not a typical Obsidian RPG, but a benefit of that is the game isn't riddled with game bugs. I found the story pretty engaging in a sub nautica "what the fuck happened here?" Kind of way, and its pretty heartwarming when you get to the finale.

But the level up here is more Monster Hunters style, you build higher tier armor to get higher tier perks, to fight bigger mons.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I don't know what game you guys have been playing, but this is definitely an Obsidian game, there's bugs everywhere.