Options

"Honey, I [Grounded] The Kids!"

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Hevach wrote: »
    Finished it, ultimately I think I just had the wrong preconceptions about what it would be.
    There isn't much plot and what is there isn't particularly interesting. It's a very large world but there isn't anyone else in it unless you play multiplayer. The world can be very hard to navigate as they seem to have very fixed ideas of how you access something like the sandpit, which required me to go all the way around the thing before finding a series of platforms that brought me high enough to jump down with a dandelion. I exited the pit through an ant nest so I assume that was also a way in that I missed because I'd been in that area previously. The lack of lore is probably the worst part for me as that was most what I expected from an Obsidian game. The bases, ignoring the often frustrating navigation to get there, all look the same (with some obvious additions such as webbing) and because I personally found the plot very predictable and straight forward, the little bits of lore you can pick up are not interesting and so don't drive me onward.

The progression is frustrating. I've finished the game and didn't have the plans for, nor know I could build a pet house that would let me pet one of the smaller passive insects, and there are some resources that exist in very specific areas that you can apparently miss. Armor can look cool but they have specific benefits from wearing the full set and if you don't want the benefit from that set, it's no use, and the resources for upgrading can be expensive. As progression is tied exclusively to armor, weapons, and what mutations you randomly generate, it makes it hard to invest in your character or create a build to your playstyle. Because nothing is explained you can overlook a lot of stuff. I realized I could build bases for instance, but it took me a long time to realize I could build a series of ladders up to the higher garden instead of trying to get around the grill. However, by that point I feel I was pretty much in the endgame, I only had two superchips to get. I probably spent more time building my palace than I did playing the game, but after spending so long setting up zipline towers and ladders, I post-game realize that I didn't accomplish much.

I think that is again all down to my preconceptions. This seems to be more of a multiplayer survival game, not a single player rpg, I imagine it's a lot funner and less frustrating if you've got 3 people helping you fight some of the more annoying enemies.

I still like the general idea, and wouldn't mind a sequel because the base building stuff is great, but I guess I just need more plot.

Re: sandbox
    The devs idea is even more convoluted than what you found.

You're supposed to work your way to the top of the picnic table (requiring a bomb and a rank 2 hammer) and replace the thread on a broken zipline (12 silk thread) and ride that down.

I knew that had to be for something.
    I bombed the spade but I couldn't find a way up from beyond the seat. I thought that was meant to be the way to get over the grill and to the upper garden. So I've never even been on top of the picnic table.

The way up:
    From the top of the spade, head west past the small cooler. At the far leg you can use the plastic spoon to drop onto a cross member, and then use a loose nail to get onto the opposite bench (2-3 bees hang out here and they're aggressive by the table, unlike out in the grass). Go up the books to the other cooler, and hammer the button to make its handle fall over. Then walk up the handle to the table.

There's a D&D miniature set up you can go through to find some stuff, a field station, access to the inside of the first cooler (including a molar) and the zipline to the sandbox. There's also gaps you can fall to your death through.

Hevach on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Doing the Mixr's after finishing the game makes them feel way easier, though I guess they nerfed the final encounter if you're playing solo though I've heard "That was nerfed?". Hardest one so far is by the bbq, just so many damn enemies. and Mosquitos. Regular ones thank fuck, but at least 10 of the bastards.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Question: (Apologies if asked, spoilers abound, so I'm being careful what I read)

Do spiders expand their territory? I set up shop right at the beginning area, and have built a fortified base a stone's throw from the red ant hill (Basically right beside the first field station). I know there's a handful of orb weavers nearby, but earlier I woke up to find spider webs spun in front of my base and red ants fighting an orb weaver and an orb weaver jr. I didn't expect that.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    No, but only because they don't have to. They generally stick around set areas, but some can wander as they like too it seems. The starting area is not 100% safe.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    re: sandbox
    I just built grass steps on the outside of the sandbox where the sand is elevated, MUCH easier than any of the 'hard wired' paths to get there

• Options
    I think I'm going to put down the game. I have the three super mixr's left, but the one I tried near castle moldorc was some bullshit. Like tiger mosquitos that felt buffed in health and damage and a bunch of tanky fucking ticks.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have two more work colleagues joining for Grounded now, so we have a full house.

Really interesting thing I noticed immediately about this game, is that if you have multiple players the characters talk to and interact with one another. Get some fairly interesting dialog.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I think I'm going to put down the game. I have the three super mixr's left, but the one I tried near castle moldorc was some bullshit. Like tiger mosquitos that felt buffed in health and damage and a bunch of tanky fucking ticks.

May not be worth the effort, but can you just turn the area around the mixr into a walled off fort (of death)?

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Beaten the Hedge lab again, will work some more after I get some food. Should probably do enough of the pond to get the level 2 dagger but will see, may look elsewheres for funs since I already did all the pond last time.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

May not be worth the effort, but can you just turn the area around the mixr into a walled off fort (of death)?

Yeah I could, but it doesn't feel worth it honestly is the problem. Like I've gotten like a hundo hours out of this? I've got a new game coming out next week. Grounded has done right by me, no need to hate what's left. I got an A rank from the finale we done.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So, I built a house of weed stem, and surrounded it with pallisades, and again, an orb weaver decided to set up shop just outside the walls. No ants to tank this time (I'm kind of shocked at how the red ant armor does an end run around some of the progression, just because I never was able to kill a stinkbug in early access, but using the ants to tank bigger creatures is a surprisingly effective tactic), but my defenses were done, so I build a tower platform in one corner and started shooting.

And the orb weaver just stood there hissing.

So....I guess that works.

I know I can fight them, I was able to get good at taking them down melee in early access, but I'm an arachnophobe. So there's a TON of adrenaline kicking into me anytime I see one.

I've finally gotten a ladybug armor set, and I'm started to collect bee parts to get a better spear. Mosquito after that and then I'll get back into attacking orb weavers directly.

And hopefully one day take down a wolf spider.

Yeesh.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, I built a house of weed stem, and surrounded it with pallisades, and again, an orb weaver decided to set up shop just outside the walls. No ants to tank this time (I'm kind of shocked at how the red ant armor does an end run around some of the progression, just because I never was able to kill a stinkbug in early access, but using the ants to tank bigger creatures is a surprisingly effective tactic), but my defenses were done, so I build a tower platform in one corner and started shooting.

And the orb weaver just stood there hissing.

So....I guess that works.

I know I can fight them, I was able to get good at taking them down melee in early access, but I'm an arachnophobe. So there's a TON of adrenaline kicking into me anytime I see one.

I've finally gotten a ladybug armor set, and I'm started to collect bee parts to get a better spear. Mosquito after that and then I'll get back into attacking orb weavers directly.

And hopefully one day take down a wolf spider.

Yeesh.

The Mosquito rapier is great, it’s my main weapon.

Run from the wold spiders until you have your gear upgraded - I’ve got my armour and weapons to level 5, and found enough milk molars to upgrade my health, etc, and now I can tank a wolf spider using a single heal.

• Options
    Knocked out the Pond lab, probably do Hedge next unless I feel like exploring. It's funny how much they've added and I've never seen as of yet.

• Options
    Combat in this suffers from just having just played Immortals: Fenyx Rising. Perfect blocking wolf spiders and everything else would be more enjoyable if it was as polished as it is in Immortals.

Really need to look into cooking for healing besides bandages and uh...powerbars whatever they're called, can't recall atm.

• Options
    Roasts heal a whole bunch but both making them and keeping a lot of around is a burden on your inventory. Dunno if there's other options other than making generic smoothies to down in a pinch.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Really don't know what I walked in on here.
    https://youtu.be/mqky1vDMHEo
    Both spiders completely ignored me, even fighting a ladybird right in front of them they just kept doing... this.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I am so excited to play this game.

It's like anticipating a TV show I get to watch for an hour every week, except with kids getting murdered by orb weavers.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Did pond lab last night with a friend for the first times. Fun stuff. We also found the haze lab and might do that today (did hedge lab some time ago).
    But I just realized we logged out without sleeping. I’m usually online a bit earlier than my friend. I’m guessing the labs trigger dreams and I might accidentally sleep and see one he hasn’t seen. Is there a way to watch them again in game in that case?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Spent the weekend inhaling Darktide during its closed beta weekend, and made a return to the yard yesterday. It was primarily a gear upgrading session, got my armor capped out, and my primary weapon as far as I could without catching some of those damn scarabs. I am big not a fan of how much more expensive it is to upgrade weapons compared to armor. Went ahead and downed the broodmother while I was at it.

I also got the resources to build the second out of the three candy staves, I like how spicy feels more than fresh. Can't make the sour staff until I gather the resources to make a tier 3 dagger to be able to harvest the underwater gunk you need for it

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Lind wrote: »
    Did pond lab last night with a friend for the first times. Fun stuff. We also found the haze lab and might do that today (did hedge lab some time ago).
    But I just realized we logged out without sleeping. I’m usually online a bit earlier than my friend. I’m guessing the labs trigger dreams and I might accidentally sleep and see one he hasn’t seen. Is there a way to watch them again in game in that case?

Far as I can tell there is not. Once they play that's it.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Quick question regarding the hedge lab: Is it the easiest lab to get to?

I presume so, because it's the one pointed out when you first meet Burg-L (Or, at least, the chip marker is the one pointed out. I guess I'm assuming it's in the hedge lab. I may be wrong about that). I only ask because there are NO mosquitos. Anywhere. A quick google reveals that most of their spawn areas only populate once you get a superchip for Burg-L. I fought a bunch of Orb Weavers to get into the area and it takes a while to fight them hacking at them with the dagger you make from larva, and time got short. I will not try to explore under the hedge in late afternoon, it gets dark. But I can't make the mosquito rapier because there's no gat dang mosquitos.

Anyway.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    There were definitely mosquitoes when I was trying to get to the hedge one, they're near the water

• Options
    edited October 2022
    There were definitely mosquitoes when I was trying to get to the hedge one, they're near the water

Yep.

I checked around the water near the hedge, the pond by the oak tree and the flooded area by the garden gnome. Over several days, checking every day - no mosquitos.

EDIT: And, funnily enough, they were there before, I died to one earlier on.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Oh, I just looked on the wiki to see if I was barking up the wrong tree, and you get there via the hedge ascent.

Well never mind then.

I explored the hedge ascent before and thought I'd hit a dead end. I guess I need to go back.

• Options
    They made a change to mosquitos literally not spawning until you do your first chip, because those fuckers are the worst early on.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Finished up the haze lab, kinda a let down on its own but when taken as a subset of the haze area is pretty spooky and creepy.

Made a makeshift ramp up to the sandbox, once I was up there I saw the zipline. Whoops.

I think I'm not ready to fight ant lions yet without cheesing them. Hit like a truck even in ladybug armor. Probably need to do black ant lab.

Any recommendations for making a zipline network? Starting to feel this running around everywhere is getting a lil tiresome. Naturally my starter outpost is by the research stations but I've been looking for a place to move to, maybe when I get my oven going. There's this really nice stone slab just to the northwest I've had my eye on for awhile.

Also any different between pollen and pebblet turret? They cost the same amount of mats so lil confusing.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Also any different between pollen and pebblet turret? They cost the same amount of mats so lil confusing.

From the tooltip descriptions, pollen turrets sound like their intended role is to stun fliers to knock them out of the sky, while pebblet is about damage.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

Yep.

I checked around the water near the hedge, the pond by the oak tree and the flooded area by the garden gnome. Over several days, checking every day - no mosquitos.

EDIT: And, funnily enough, they were there before, I died to one earlier on.

I died to one right next to the birdbath before I did the hedge lab.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Loaded this up again, started a shared world (that I totally forgot to actually give a name) and had some fun mucking around with a friend for a couple of hours. Progression goes a lot quicker the second time around when you actually know what you're supposed to be doing! Got to searching for the Hedge base entrance when we had to call time but keen to get back into it more on the weekend.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Did not do too much yarding yesterday because new content dropped in Final fantasy XIV, but I have made a new house up along the edge of the upper yard, at the approximate midpoint of the dividing cliff. Have a Zipline set up to where my old base was on the pond, but now that I've moved my stuff to the new digs it is mostly a way back to the lower yard areas if I need something from there.

Finally had my first Payback proc, and unless they got wrecked by other bugs on the way to me, it consisted of a single larva.

• Options
    Completed the hedge lab.

Mosquitos started spawning, finally have the rapier.

This game is super rad.

• Options
    So I tried to go back into my shared world, but every time I try it just gets stuck on creating the lobby and won't work. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

• Options
    Server issues? How many times did it fail in what timespan?

Hopefully not a corrupted world.

• Options
    It just never loads. I think I waited over 15 minutes once.

I have since solved this since I realized I can make a local copy of the world and just play with that, which does not have this issue.

• Options
    Progress is made, I have cleared the lab you get sent to look for after gathering the superchips, and have cleared the way to the optional lab past that, but haven't managed a clear on the lab itself.

Gear wise I now have my main weapon capped at Mighty +9, and the rest at +7. Located a place that has scarabs that you can actually catch before they despawn. Have also beat up some black widows, I have no clue how you are supposed to fight them without getting them stuck on terrain. Need one more super venom to get the dagger and be able to harvest the pond gunk I need for things.

• Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Progress is made, I have cleared the lab you get sent to look for after gathering the superchips, and have cleared the way to the optional lab past that, but haven't managed a clear on the lab itself.

Gear wise I now have my main weapon capped at Mighty +9, and the rest at +7. Located a place that has scarabs that you can actually catch before they despawn. Have also beat up some black widows, I have no clue how you are supposed to fight them without getting them stuck on terrain. Need one more super venom to get the dagger and be able to harvest the pond gunk I need for things.

Black widows for normal people feels like "get them stuck on environment kill them with a ranged attack" for the invested set they perfect parry every attack beat them with a pebble dagger.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

From the tooltip descriptions, pollen turrets sound like their intended role is to stun fliers to knock them out of the sky, while pebblet is about damage.

also, pebblets are WAY more common than pollen

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »

also, pebblets are WAY more common than pollen

Yeah whatever bonus pollen may have, pebbles are easier to use by a ton.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I only just realized today that blocking timing matters.

So you know how I mentioned that I never was able to take a wolf spider in early access? I didn't understand how it was possible - because blocking hits drains your stamina, and you eventually run out and become vulnerable. And now that I understand the timing, the (correctly timed) block is an interrupt that doesn't drain stamina. It all makes sense!

• Options
    I cleared the optional lab! Good lord is that fight a shitshow solo, I would not want to have to attempt it in a save that has item durability. I now have the bug parts recipe for the Supreme upgrade bits, though I'm actually sitting on a pretty good stack from finding rock deposits. Mostly just need to go hunting down the scarabs. I was also finally able to get my pond moss, so now I have the third staff.
    20221021215112_1.jpg
    It's a shame we don't get one for Salty damage to cover the full elemental spread, but I suppose it'd be weird to have a set of three candy staves and then a chunk of salt on a stick.