Options

"Honey, I [Grounded] The Kids!"

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Zavian wrote: »
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    Also any different between pollen and pebblet turret? They cost the same amount of mats so lil confusing.

From the tooltip descriptions, pollen turrets sound like their intended role is to stun fliers to knock them out of the sky, while pebblet is about damage.

also, pebblets are WAY more common than pollen

Yeah whatever bonus pollen may have, pebbles are easier to use by a ton.

Oh you actually have to load the turret? Lol yeah pebblet every time.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Another fellow Willow Branch user, she was my favorite teen. I saw so many use the nerdlinger for streamers and his voice lines hurt me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    hmm, I think my save might be jacked up? Endgame stuff:
    The button to start the Javamatic defence setpiece isn't usable. I'd made an attempt at it right after finding Wendell, it went poorly, so I left the machine be and wandered off to do the ORC lab. Now, having done that, I go back to the Javamatic, hit its button, and it gives me the little cutscene of "here's the defend points you need to be defending" again and now I can't do anything with it. I've lured a bug over to completely break one of the doohickies so I could repair it, doesn't appear to have made a difference.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    hmm, I think my save might be jacked up? Endgame stuff:
    The button to start the Javamatic defence setpiece isn't usable. I'd made an attempt at it right after finding Wendell, it went poorly, so I left the machine be and wandered off to do the ORC lab. Now, having done that, I go back to the Javamatic, hit its button, and it gives me the little cutscene of "here's the defend points you need to be defending" again and now I can't do anything with it. I've lured a bug over to completely break one of the doohickies so I could repair it, doesn't appear to have made a difference.

I saw someone else have this same issue I think you're save is just bugged until they release another patch and that blows.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    On one hand, want to build my mushroom castle pretty much next to the orc keep.

On the other I could probably finish this game by the time I complete the castle.

• Options
    The Moldorc area is terrible for any god damn mats. Mushroom bricks are about the only thing you can use to build over there cause there ain't shit around to build with otherwise.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I have defeated wolf spiders.

And now I feel like with what I know, I could maybe take one on the normal difficulty (I'm playing on mild).

But maybe not. Damn do they attack fast.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    The Moldorc area is terrible for any god damn mats. Mushroom bricks are about the only thing you can use to build over there cause there ain't shit around to build with otherwise.

I mean I am building on the stone cliff to the west and have a ramp from the lower yard going up to it so it isn't so bad but playing solo it is a bit much. Will probably just rush the ending and join others who are cooping.
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I have defeated wolf spiders.

And now I feel like with what I know, I could maybe take one on the normal difficulty (I'm playing on mild).

But maybe not. Damn do they attack fast.

Honestly from what I played from Mild it is plenty challenging. Yes I'm a point in the game where regular wolf spiders are becoming trivial but that's as I'm getting near the end game.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Ziplines not ignoring grass tops and one barely being in the way with no way to reposition the line without destroying it is a tad annoying. Hopefully they don't grow back exact same spot.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Ziplines not ignoring grass tops and one barely being in the way with no way to reposition the line without destroying it is a tad annoying. Hopefully they don't grow back exact same spot.

If my outpost is any indication they will, and in an annoying way. At least my zipline gets me like half way to my outpost.

Getting near the end but getting more breaks. It's funny taking on a boss x4 times and only winning cause he doesn't do one move that as little wind up and loads o damage.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I only have the wiki to go on, so hopefully its information is accurate, my understanding is that if you chop a grass's stump down, it will not regrow.

Also I've got like 300 web from all the spider killing I have done, so I'd probably just recycle the line so I can move the posts.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I only have the wiki to go on, so hopefully its information is accurate, my understanding is that if you chop a grass's stump down, it will not regrow.

Also I've got like 300 web from all the spider killing I have done, so I'd probably just recycle the line so I can move the posts.

They definitely regrow, unless you build something nearby. I've encircled my base with a pebblet path to sort of push back the grass and have more of an open area. Maybe build a path underneath the zipline to prevent regrowth?

EDIT: And regarding that path, it's come in handy during payback. The insects will attack the path first about 75% of the time, which means my walls stay intact.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Replacing my grass fence with palisades, they don't seen to mesh up as well for some reason? They keep wanting to build at angles and anything straight is red. Do you need to build a clay/pebble base first vs the ground?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    So my friend and I had our second play session, ended the first time trying to find our way into the Hedge, had some acorn armor, basic stuff but better than being naked.

This time we basically just died for about an hour and a half. Might do some more research before next weekend.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Replacing my grass fence with palisades, they don't seen to mesh up as well for some reason? They keep wanting to build at angles and anything straight is red. Do you need to build a clay/pebble base first vs the ground?

Building stuff seems a bit janky. It defaults to not snapped to grid so maybe the placement for some stuff is trying to use it or something.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    So my friend and I had our second play session, ended the first time trying to find our way into the Hedge, had some acorn armor, basic stuff but better than being naked.

This time we basically just died for about an hour and a half. Might do some more research before next weekend.

Build a lean to close to the lab and set it as respawn.
    Also you can always change difficulty. My friend and I play on medium but have turned off item durability and we respawn with our backpacks. It makes it a lot less frustrating.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I really wish I was home to play Grounded...

Instead I'm Orlando.

Having a great time, but I'm really wondered if I could have brought it over, for the evenings.

• Options
    I ended up having to google where the entrance to the black ant hill was. I knew the general area, just by following them (And the location on the map of the superchip), but after searching the area for three solid in game days I couldn't find it. I thought maybe I was looking in the wrong spot? Turns out, no, but I walked past it at least three times without seeing it. >.>

Anyway, that was a fun expedition. Now I'm in the sandbox. Hoo boy.

• Options
    So, I've finished with the sandbox.
    SUPER annoying until you can make the antlion armor. Thankfully, it only took a couple trips in to get enough parts. I've built the big two handed antlion sword and I'm actually kind of itching to aggro a wolf spider now that I've tiered up both my armor and weapons.

On the other hand I've capped off the haze, and I read (Maybe here?) that once you do that, infected wolf spiders start showing up so I'm still a little bit anxious about open exploration, haha

• Options
    So, I've finished with the sandbox.
    SUPER annoying until you can make the antlion armor. Thankfully, it only took a couple trips in to get enough parts. I've built the big two handed antlion sword and I'm actually kind of itching to aggro a wolf spider now that I've tiered up both my armor and weapons.

On the other hand I've capped off the haze, and I read (Maybe here?) that once you do that, infected wolf spiders start showing up so I'm still a little bit anxious about open exploration, haha

YOU FOOL YOU FOOOLLLL

I did the same thing but

YOU FOOOOLLLL

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Honestly I've only fought one. It did not go well for me but they aren't as ever present as I was lead to believe.

Like all wolf spiders, be on alert and keep your distance. They're actually more visible due to their glowy growths.

• Options
    I think its been said the infected wolf is the undefeated boss killer of the game.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I would like to mention that I adore the progression design in this game.

So many crafting/survival/base building games fuck it up. I despise the way Ark does it (And so, also Conan: Exiles, even though I enjoy Conan: Exiles in spite of the progression system). But the way this game balances progression around what you've explored, and what you can kill makes so much sense and feels so much more organic. I really, really, REALLY hope Obsidian does well with Grounded. I need the genre to continue in this way.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I got myself and my three work colleagues to all buy the game, so I'm responsible for at least 3 additional sales beyond my own!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I would like to mention that I adore the progression design in this game.

So many crafting/survival/base building games fuck it up. I despise the way Ark does it (And so, also Conan: Exiles, even though I enjoy Conan: Exiles in spite of the progression system). But the way this game balances progression around what you've explored, and what you can kill makes so much sense and feels so much more organic. I really, really, REALLY hope Obsidian does well with Grounded. I need the genre to continue in this way.

It's a little too plateau-y for my tastes. There's times where I've found myself in a rut where the stuff I can kill doesn't help give me anything better but the stuff that would help I can't kill. Upgrades should theoretically bridge this except they're finite and at the early stages not plentiful enough to let you play around with gear, so I ended up stuck with multiple partially upgraded pieces of gear.

Carpy on
  • Options
    Today in grounded I encouraged everyone to move our base from the starting area to right beside the lake. Foolish I was, for we were then immediately accosted by two wolf spiders - starting this process at night was definitely a big brain move on my part - who proceeded to murder us copiously. After much scrambling and fighting, including confusion about how to build walls, we eventually figured everything out and now have a small ramshackle hut to defend ourselves from the horrors of the lake around us.

I then jumped into the lake and immediately freaked out thinking a fish was going to murder me.

Such is life.

• Options
    Googling brings up a LOT of Early Access results, so it's been less than helpful, but

Has anyone had any issues with frame stutter or hitching in this game? It was running fine for weeks, but a few days ago I started getting frame hitching that is becoming worse, and it is closing in on unplayable.

In between the hitches, the framerate is perfectly smooth, and changing the quality settings doesn't help.

I'm running an older system, i5-8600 with a 1080, and the issue may not be with the game itself, I dunno, but it was running fine for so long, so I thought I'd ask.

• Options
    Googling brings up a LOT of Early Access results, so it's been less than helpful, but

Has anyone had any issues with frame stutter or hitching in this game? It was running fine for weeks, but a few days ago I started getting frame hitching that is becoming worse, and it is closing in on unplayable.

In between the hitches, the framerate is perfectly smooth, and changing the quality settings doesn't help.

I'm running an older system, i5-8600 with a 1080, and the issue may not be with the game itself, I dunno, but it was running fine for so long, so I thought I'd ask.

I have definitely noticed some frame dips here and there, but the only ones I can recall with any certainty are when busting open a milk molar.

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Today in grounded I encouraged everyone to move our base from the starting area to right beside the lake. Foolish I was, for we were then immediately accosted by two wolf spiders - starting this process at night was definitely a big brain move on my part - who proceeded to murder us copiously. After much scrambling and fighting, including confusion about how to build walls, we eventually figured everything out and now have a small ramshackle hut to defend ourselves from the horrors of the lake around us.

I then jumped into the lake and immediately freaked out thinking a fish was going to murder me.

Such is life.

I hope you didn't go too far from the grass fields though with multiple players you probably won't be as hindered as I was solo getting up a starter base.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Aegeri wrote: »

Such is life.

The safest place by the lake in my experience is on the next rock from the juice box heading away from the tree. Mosquitos are sparse at that end, wolf spiders mostly stay closer to the tree (other side of the juice box you'll get them) and while the fence gaps are full of orb weavers they don't venture far into the barren zone. The next rock out is too slanted, and the one after that gets orb weavers from nest at the end of the fence.

The more nights that pass the more dangerous everywhere becomes, but by the time even ants were regularly harassing me I had a nice mushroom brick wall built around my compound.

Bit of a trek for any resources above the retaining wall, though, and even building a bridge over the pond doesn't really shorten it much.

Hevach on
  • Options
    A wolf spider eventually wandered over there cause yeah I built in that exact spot. But yes otherwise very safe but sadly a chore for getting resources over.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Yeah I found the same thing. Our first night one person aggro'ed a wolf spider towards the position, then we had TWO wolf spiders camping it. Since getting through the night, the spiders no longer come near to where we am - we're precisely where you said BTW - but now we have our little shack it's going okay. I have almost a full set of ant armour and I'm preparing an expedition towards the red ant colony. Other players are off doing random things like looking at the fish for me (I have hydrothalassaphobia so I cannot go near the fish without freaking out) and generally being confused.

I use the hour to educate my coworkers on the biology of spiders and insects. Yesterday lessons was the difference between araneomorphs and mygalomorphs.

Edit: Next week is ant themed and will go over hymenopterans.

If anyone is curious, I was doing a degree in entomology before I moved into microbiology.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Oh yeah the pallet exploit is stupid useful--grab a pallet, relocate it to grass/weeds, load it up, relocate it back to base with your haul.

Sounds like you're all having a rad time Aegeri

• Options
    I don't think of that as an exploit but an intended use on pallets

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Oh yeah the pallet exploit is stupid useful--grab a pallet, relocate it to grass/weeds, load it up, relocate it back to base with your haul.

That's exactly what I did!

It was also great when someone said there were spiders underwater and I immediately said they are either diving bell spiders (which they are) or they're Dolomedes aquaticus. Thankfully for people terrified of insanely large spiders, they are diving bell spiders. Dolomedes aquaticus would make a wolf spider look tiny and cute in comparison. One I photographed in Australia had a leg span just under 1 foot (roughly 30cm).

Aegeri on
  • Options

Kind of wish they’d put in a cart.

• Options
    I miss the sleds from The Forest.

So I'm kinda running out of steam for Grounded solo but I'm basically at the end. Think I'll craft my final set of armor and final weapons and finish up the final stuff for hopefully the good ending--worse case I'll just turn on god mode cause I've been playing custom this whole time.

There are some weird progression paths and basically gating off a resource behind one of the hardest non-boss bosses is baffling. Maybe I should be trying my hand at more of these optional bosses but seeing how regular enemies can still hit like a truck for unblocked hits (given I'm in medium armor, sadly the heavy armor for tier 3 isn't as useful as ladybug was for tier 2 IMO) makes me wary and a bit fatigued.

Still at almost 90 hours played--given this includes multiple starts in early access--I've gotten my money's worth. Just seems like it's another game that is better with friends.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    So the frame stutter that I was talking about got worse to the point that I couldn't do platforming anymore.

So I did another google and a new hit came up. Turns out, there's a new bug with the black ants amassing food in the trash. So I went there and found this:
    (Edit: Mild quest title spoilers, just in case, I'm p far in. I didn't realize the quest titles were up in the screenshot when I took it)
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

Cleaned it up and frame stutter is gone. So if anyone is having trouble with their framerate getting progressively worse, this is the thing. Obsidian seems to be aware, so hopefully a fix will be out soon.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Well shit I saw a pile just like that in that very spot yesterday. I haven’t noticed any performance issues but i guess it’s time to go rob some anfs.

• Options
    I bought the palisade upgrade. Afterwards it seemed warrior red ants are now wandering around my base. Folks here mentioned it was random nights, did it just mesh up like that? Or is it also tied to upgrades you get?